Author Topic: Gaterons - more definitive information?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Polymer

Gaterons - more definitive information?
« on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 07:16:43 »
It seems like the information on Gaterons is all over the place...at least as far as how much force is required for each of the different switches they have..and it sounds like Gateron has made some changes as well which probably doesn't help.

Does anyone have (or can post) some more definitive info?

Eg.  Gateron Reds actuate at 45g.  Is that the midpoint of the travel?  Some people say they're lighter than normal reds..this would suggest that isn't the case but no force graphs to really say.
Blacks - Some people say they're slightly harder to press than MX, some less...actuation looks to be 50g which would suggest less.
Yellows - 50g like Blacks and these seem to have gone through some changes.  They bottom at a different force from blacks from what I can tell but not sure...

I think just about the only information I can find that seems somewhat consistent are:  They're smoother than mx.  The actuation forces people post seem to be somewhat consistent....

Offline Polymer

Re: Gaterons - more definitive information?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 06:29:04 »
Haha..really?  I guess no one knows much about Gaterons because the information is all over the map?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 07:21:43 »
45grams actuation means just that, it triggers the switch at 45grams, which on linears would be midpoint or thereabout.

Depending on the spring's design, it can trigger at 45, and bottom out with less pressure. For example Cherry Red starts at about 30 grams, hits 45 as it triggers and is 60grams by the time it hits bottom. A different spring could start at 35, trigger at 45 and bottom at 50 if it was designed right. They would both be rated the same, but feel quite different.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:05:50 »
45grams actuation means just that, it triggers the switch at 45grams, which on linears would be midpoint or thereabout.

Depending on the spring's design, it can trigger at 45, and bottom out with less pressure. For example Cherry Red starts at about 30 grams, hits 45 as it triggers and is 60grams by the time it hits bottom. A different spring could start at 35, trigger at 45 and bottom at 50 if it was designed right. They would both be rated the same, but feel quite different.

Appreciate the help but that's not really what I'm asking for..

As you said, depending on the spring's design and even the slider itself, it'll impact how it feels..the weight AT actuation doesn't tell me anything.

Given that actuation point on the Gateron's seems to be somewhat different, it is even harder to gauge how these feel in comparison to their MX counterparts..and the lack of detailed information makes it difficult to know what exactly you're looking at.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 08:23:45 »
This is the closest to a compilation of Gateron information that you will find:

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Gateron_switches

I believe you are out of luck for force graphs/bottom out resistance, that's scattered in various imgur links/reddit posts and the like.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 09:22:29 »