Author Topic: Jello GH!  (Read 1308 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Jello GH!
« on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 08:41:46 »
Hi, everybody!

Been lurking /r/mechanicalkeyboards subreddit since summer but just recently thought of joining here. Now that I'm finally building my first mechanical keyboard thought it would be a good time to finally become a 'geekhacker' (is this a thing?). Thinking about trying out my hand in keycap making too. Just want to make keyboard-related stuff!

Don't really know what to say here but it's great to be a part of the community!

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: Jello GH!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:59:01 »
Hello and welcome! What kind of keyboard are you building? What kind of switches are you going to use?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:37:23 »
It's going to be 40(45-ish)% keyboard. I'm still looking around for different layouts but the decision will be made by this weekend. Got to attend family event on saturday and then will start working on the plate with a friend of mine. I was leaning towards a Planck or Quark but yesterday found a keyboard called MA42 and it looks like the keyboard I would love to have! Contacted the maker for a permission though. Stealing someones designs and not telling them would be rude even if it is for personal use! Keyboard will be hand-wired so that's why I'm going for a small form factor. Besides I travel quite a lot and the smaller, the better.

I bought Gateron Browns and received them about 30min ago! Oh man, the feels! Tactile feedback is absolutely amazing! I use a Thinkpad X220 that has the old Thinkpad keyboard and I really love it. But a mechanical switch! It's like touching clouds!
Will be using white PBT blanks for the moment until I figure out a comfortable layout. When the layout will be finalized my friend will help with engraving.

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:49:14 »
Hi! Awesome, I look forward to reading more updates from you  :thumb:
Chris Schammert

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:47:52 »
Thank you! Will definitely make a build log.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:27:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Looking at the inspiration for the MA42 you've definitely come to the right place!  JD is the king of small layout keyboards :)

Good luck with your build, and feel free to create a build log thread in making stuff together.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ