Author Topic: The (unofficial) Revival of the GH Wiki (though not exactly)  (Read 4387 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
The (unofficial) Revival of the GH Wiki (though not exactly)
« on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:28:11 »
Some of you may not be aware, but GH does have a wiki. Or at least, it did. The link to the page can still be seen and it's filled with some information of what's left, but it no longer has any relevance to anyone.
Ever since the R00tworm attack which destroyed almost all of the wiki pages, the idea of bringing back the GH wiki to its former glory has been floating around, but it has never really taken off.

Since there really isn't any foreseeable future with the GH wiki as it stands, I decided to start an unofficial wiki so that we may at least do something.
The elephant in the room the question of whether or not this will have any worth while the Deskthority wiki still stands and is already extremely vast.
My answer would be that the Deskthority wiki isn't at all what I envision a forum wiki to be about. Rarely does it ever tie back into the forum it's based on and there is so much potential lost in that.

Imagine, for instance, if a wiki page on Cherry MX clears had a vast list of quotes from community members informing people what such a switch feels like to them. Then, if people want to go even deeper, there are links that show all of that user's past opinions on all other switches.
Moreover, what if there was a whole slew of threads linked as well which were entirely dedicated to discussing the feel of MX clears?
It's just such an obvious concept that can easily tie a wiki with its community and provide a much broader scope on knowledge, especially normative knowledge which is in no way objective like the kind of information DT limits itself to.

So what do I have in mind?
Well if you want to PM me I can give you full access to the unofficial wiki and its editing.
Additionally, it would be especially useful to have an ongoing Skype chat with my fellow contributors so that we can get an idea of what directions we want to take.

Here is the link to the (very much empty) wiki which I hope will expand over time.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: The (unofficial) Revival of the GH Wiki (though not exactly)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:29:49 »
reserved

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:49:54 »
I'm all for getting the wiki going again. I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute but I don't mind helping where I can. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:52:26 »
I may not know much, but I have multiple wikis, guides, and other members to thank for what I do know.

I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can.  :thumb:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:52:42 »
I'm all for getting the wiki going again. I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute but I don't mind helping where I can. :thumb:

Hey man, it's all about getting the wheels rolling!
Let's get in touch and start this project together!

Offline jaffers

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:11:50 »
I think this is a very good idea. Deskthority already has a very good wiki that showcases more history and the older boards, rare stuff, etc...

I propose that we have a slightly different wiki, geared a little more to the makers etc... i.e. An actual section on artisans, custom boards (as this is a growing area and there are some solid companies putting out now), info on RECENT boards (just because its new doesn't mean its not worth putting in the wiki).

There was also a thread where someone was interested in a materials database for building. i.e. different types of metals (grades of stainless steel, steel, other plate metals), plastics (polycarb vs. acrylic and its feeling for plates along with ABS, PBT, POM etc..), and their average pricing and where to get them cut for cheap in different countries, say if someone was looking to do a custom build. I think a section like this would be very helpful and would be happy to contribute.

Other random idea:
-Painting plates, techniques and different paints that bond well with different plastics and metal
-Cap casting section
-Different layouts and their origins as well as other boards that feature said layout
-Various firmware and the boards that use it as well as where to find it and its applications.
-Links to open source keyboard designs for community use if someone wants to get something made themselves
-Possibly a section on the most influential people in the keyboard hobby and what they have done

I'll probably get started tonight, hopefully some other people can join in :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:13:28 by jaffers »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:17:55 »
jaffers - I definitely like the focus points that you listed off. This is the heart of GeekHack! But I am also ambitious and I want to cover all those topics that DT has! I think that the community at GH would have a lot to say that DT hasn't said already.

At the end of the day, who are we to restrict what goes on in the wiki? This is meant for the community and I shall let them do what they want to do! (as long as it does not harm the community)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:29:08 »
jaffers - I definitely like the focus points that you listed off. This is the heart of GeekHack! But I am also ambitious and I want to cover all those topics that DT has! I think that the community at GH would have a lot to say that DT hasn't said already.

At the end of the day, who are we to restrict what goes on in the wiki? This is meant for the community and I shall let them do what they want to do! (as long as it does not harm the community)

This is true although I do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 03:25:41 »
There are no links to forum posts on keyfeel and things like it in the DT wiki because it would be very unscientific and virtually meaningless. These things are mostly a matter of opinion; worse, not everyone has comparable experience or comparing material.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:01:06 »
There are no links to forum posts on keyfeel and things like it in the DT wiki because it would be very unscientific and virtually meaningless. These things are mostly a matter of opinion; worse, not everyone has comparable experience or comparing material.

Of course such things are "unscientific" but what is the point of a wiki if you cannot get an idea of what that switch feels like.
This is why we have thread upon thread from new users asking for switch recommendations; there isn't any kind of information database that will tell you such a thing.
Of course key feel is subjective and I realize that, which is why there will be multiple sources quotes on all the various opinions of that switch.
Furthermore, how can you say that such things are "unscientific". What you're referring to would be the lack of quantitative qualities. To ignore the qualitative qualities that exist would mean leaving out half the information you should have. In fact, it is the qualitative properties of a switch that are the most important for users.
Take any topic on history, politics, or philosophy and every single thesis, even of those qualified, will be refuted by someone else who is equally as qualified. Yet, somehow, those thesises are inserted into wikis.
Of course, we don't have people with a PhD on switches to give us this qualitative information, but to completely dismiss its value as meaningless is ridiculous.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:10:41 »

Of course such things are "unscientific" but what is the point of a wiki if you cannot get an idea of what that switch feels like.
This is why we have thread upon thread from new users asking for switch recommendations; there isn't any kind of information database that will tell you such a thing.
Of course key feel is subjective and I realize that, which is why there will be multiple sources quotes on all the various opinions of that switch.
Furthermore, how can you say that such things are "unscientific". What you're referring to would be the lack of quantitative qualities. To ignore the qualitative qualities that exist would mean leaving out half the information you should have. In fact, it is the qualitative properties of a switch that are the most important for users.
Take any topic on history, politics, or philosophy and every single thesis, even of those qualified, will be refuted by someone else who is equally as qualified. Yet, somehow, those thesises are inserted into wikis.
Of course, we don't have people with a PhD on switches to give us this qualitative information, but to completely dismiss its value as meaningless is ridiculous.
The problem is, as you're describing it, the page on, say MX blue, would probably look like;
User 1: It's great
User 2; it's ****
User 3; its da best omg
User 4; fkn horrbl

Something like that wouldn't help new users at all. Worse, depending on who writes the article, they might decide not to quote user 1 and 3, or user 2 and 4.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:23:08 »
I have contributed a few workbench "construction guides" that I feel are probably more appropriate in wiki-style compendium than as sticky threads.

Unlike the "encyclopedia entry" informational type of entries, mine are more hands-on and how-to.

Re-working them to a more succinct format would not be too much of a problem for me.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:27:18 »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:30:54 »
If GH is going to have a wiki, the DIY/Howto angle is definitely the right approach. Projects are what makes Geekhack great. Just look at the Keyboard of the Month threads if you need proof of that.

So then, as a user, if I want historical info on which types of boards are my best bet for green Alps on Ebay, I go to the historical/archival data on Deskthority's wiki. But once those green Alps arrive and I'm ready to harvest them for my own custom project, I go to the future Geekhack wiki for ideas and guidance.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:34:38 »

The problem is, as you're describing it, the page on, say MX blue, would probably look like;
User 1: It's great
User 2; it's ****
User 3; its da best omg
User 4; fkn horrbl

Something like that wouldn't help new users at all. Worse, depending on who writes the article, they might decide not to quote user 1 and 3, or user 2 and 4.

This is why you make sure to have curators for this wiki like any other who ensure that helpful content is posted.
You think I'll just insert bad quotes in my wiki? No. There are countless reviews on the forum that go far deeper than what you have written down.
It seems like a lot of work, and it is, but every other wiki is prey to having bad content. It's like reviews on an Amazon page. Sure some of them are meaningless but without them at all you would be missing a massive amount of information.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:53:50 »
I have contributed a few workbench "construction guides" that I feel are probably more appropriate in wiki-style compendium than as sticky threads.

Unlike the "encyclopedia entry" informational type of entries, mine are more hands-on and how-to.

Re-working them to a more succinct format would not be too much of a problem for me.

Fantastic! Deskthority as far as I know doesn't pin up how to guides in their wiki. This would be an awesome addition that would really give the wiki clear purpose!

If GH is going to have a wiki, the DIY/Howto angle is definitely the right approach. Projects are what makes Geekhack great. Just look at the Keyboard of the Month threads if you need proof of that.

So then, as a user, if I want historical info on which types of boards are my best bet for green Alps on Ebay, I go to the historical/archival data on Deskthority's wiki. But once those green Alps arrive and I'm ready to harvest them for my own custom project, I go to the future Geekhack wiki for ideas and guidance.

Do whatever angle you want on the wiki!
Just plug in information for whatever you are passionate about.
We will of course have to configure the wiki to properly accommodate information, but the point is that I want you guys to expand the wiki and in a way that you take passion and pride in.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:58:08 »
Yes! I'm gonna help the GH wiki back to it's former glory!

I'm going to give some opinion when I'm back at home

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:59:21 »
This would be really cool! I also think that a GH wiki geared more towards do it yourself is the way to go (soldering, firmware, custom mousepads, pcb's, cable-making, mods, etc.).
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:59:55 »

Former? I think GeekHack has been going strong for a while.  :thumb:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 09:01:30 »

No I mean the wiki hehe

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 09:02:17 »

No I mean the wiki hehe

Ah, I can't read. Lol

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:01:36 »
-Links to open source keyboard designs for community use if someone wants to get something made themselves

Just so I don't get called a copycat, I already have plans for writing stuff about that on the DT wiki.

Honestly I don't see the point of splitting all the stuff between two wikis, but do what the heck you want, I'm not gonna interfere.

EDIT: also, we-all-know-who showed up already:
Note: For the BEST and MOST COMPREHENSIVE and UP TO DATE wiki check out:
[link to the r/mk wiki]
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:03:21 by KRKS »
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:11:07 »
To be honest, I think we'd all be better off if we contributed as much as possible to the DT wiki.  It's based on MediaWiki, which is a better platform than whatever GH has.  Also, it's already up and running and it has lots of good information.  I have already moved my firmware home there.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:25:51 »
To be honest, I think we'd all be better off if we contributed as much as possible to the DT wiki.  It's based on MediaWiki, which is a better platform than whatever GH has.  Also, it's already up and running and it has lots of good information.  I have already moved my firmware home there.
^

It's so comprehensive already, trying to create a new wiki is just sort of pointless. And when I say wiki, I mean a real, factual wiki, not some sort of opinion pool that this seems to be (something I'm also against)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:08:02 »
You guys don't like my Geekhack wiki? I'm confused why no one even contacted THE Curator about this issue?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68372.0

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69582.0

(They could stand to be updated, for sure)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:09:51 »
You guys don't like my Geekhack wiki? I'm confused why no one even contacted THE Curator about this issue?

It's definitely informative but it's highly clunky for a wiki.
Ours isn't elegant either but at least we have more control over the code and layout.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:14:52 »

Ours isn't elegant either but at least we have more control over the code and layout.

Heh, I was just kidding. Those threads were my attempt to aggregate some information not found in DT's wiki into an index.

You do you, man. No hate. It's a whole lotta work, to be sure.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:21:23 »

Heh, I was just kidding. Those threads were my attempt to aggregate some information not found in DT's wiki into an index.

You do you, man. No hate. It's a whole lotta work, to be sure.

It definitely is a whole bunch of work.
I'll admit that I haven't gotten around to making content on there. It's hard to focus on other unrelated stuff already. Hopefully I find some more time and can sit down for an hour or two.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:12:02 »

Hey, you made those overviews. I actually quite like them and actually I've READ them!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:00:08 »

way back even before this, I was technically the head of the GH wiki. I think the only post I made was on those typewriters with cherry keycaps, which was immediately incorporated into the DT wiki.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:37:45 »
if Geekhack is going try to resurrect the wiki, take a different angle than the DT wiki.  I think going the DIY route is a good idea, although my observation is the Geekhack is less DIY than it was in the past.  Regardless, there is still tons of useful DIY info on this forum, it might take a little more searching.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:56:20 »
In my opinion, DT = wiki, GH = forum. And I quite like it that way. Although a DIY-wiki would be awesome with tutorials and all. But I have never really looked into DIY portions of DT.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:37:38 »
In my opinion, DT = wiki, GH = forum. And I quite like it that way. Although a DIY-wiki would be awesome with tutorials and all. But I have never really looked into DIY portions of DT.
Nah, the main topics missing from DT are "artisans"/customs pissing contest, "what keyboard do I buy?" threads, group buys (but 7bit's), NA classifieds and tp4's posts. I don't feel like missing out on anything of that.

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:50:06 »
Especially tp's posts toilet papering up the forum.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 06:36:00 »
if Geekhack is going try to resurrect the wiki, take a different angle than the DT wiki.  I think going the DIY route is a good idea, although my observation is the Geekhack is less DIY than it was in the past.  Regardless, there is still tons of useful DIY info on this forum, it might take a little more searching.
Yeah I agree, a DIY wiki would be a much better. Citing selected forum opinions on keyswitches sounds like the absolute worst possible idea for a wiki ever if I'm honest xD .