Author Topic: Nightcaps: | | |  (Read 45388496 times)

Offline SmilingPolitely

Re: Nightcaps: Poisoned Summer: Day 84 Complete
« Reply #15800 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 10:47:23 »
1. Enable notifications.
2. ???
3. !profit

Don't have to be here all day refreshing. That'd be nuts.

Offline totallycaked

• You wouldn't like me when I'm angry
« Reply #15801 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:00:37 »
1. Enable notifications.
2. ???
3. !profit

Don't have to be here all day refreshing. That'd be nuts.

That doesn't really solve the problem. Maybe if ETF were the only one posting here.

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #15802 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:38:24 »
Unannounced sales caused a ****storm; we got a birb.

FCFS caused an outcry; we got raffles.

International time zones felt left out; we got shifting times.

All of these accommodations, yet people continue to whine.

This is the largest scale artisan sale I've ever seen in my short two years in this community.  Almost everyone I know who has participated from the beginning has won at least one cap from Poisoned Summer.  Those of you who are new here and are salty, angry, turned off, or whatever it is that you're feeling: you sound really ignorant bashing the artisans.

I've been there, *****ing that I didn't have time to check out in a HWS flash sale even though I added a cap to my cart.  That was when I was a fresh member of this community.  FFS, I was on mobile, sitting on a recliner, watching football, and expecting to win a flash sale?!?  I felt really salty and thought the sale structure was unfair.  I quickly learned that Binge has hundreds of fans of his work who were counting down to the sale time and even most of them didn't get a cap.  They weren't *****ing about it.  They had been there before.  Onto the next one...

And the great part about it is, "onto the next one" has literally meant "onto tomorrow" throughout this entire 93-day summer, save for some mail days.  This is pretty much as good as it gets for artisan sales, and if you like these little pieces of plastic art enough to stick around, I think down the road you'll feel pretty dumb about the ignorant criticism you've made.  Hopefully you'll be around to laugh it off.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:51:31 by wishful_cynic »

Offline totallycaked

« Reply #15803 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:58:05 »
That's fine. People get to be upset, regardless of how stupid they might look.

This is a fantastic hobby and I love every second of it - but losing sucks and this is a forum so people are going to complain.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #15804 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 13:12:06 »
I was saying in general... honestly wasn't trying to single out any creator. Its really not a fault thing.. its just its not very welcoming to new people. While caps might retain there value! and might seem like a great deal. There still needs to be new people coming into the community to help bolster it. A 1000 dollar keycap is only worth that because someone is willing to pay it which won't always be the case. With out new people coming in that most likely will not be the case. I really don't have a solid silver bullet suggestion for this topic! Just that as someone new.. it feels very lack luster! I am sure everyone. Artisan's included would want feedback on how to make the community grow and strive. That means taking the good and the bad! Though I do completely understand not all opinions are to everyone's taste but that just adds flavor and diversity to something like a forum. People all agreed on every topic every time! then forums would be extremely boring

Offline SupraRZ95

Re: Nightcaps: Poisoned Summer: Day 85
« Reply #15805 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 14:50:20 »
I'm curious if yesterdays Fugu will have a matching BK and or Moon Drop  :)

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #15806 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 14:52:32 »
I'm curious if yesterdays Fugu will have a matching BK and or Moon Drop  :)

Galactic Blueberry  :cool:

Offline bbmathlvr

« Reply #15807 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:02:30 »
iono what you all are talking about. ETF spreads the love like butter on toast. This sale has been amazing for so many reasons. The caps have been beautiful and numerous, the sales have been exciting and they bring the community together, it's brought in tons of new people, and it definitely drew me deeper into the artisan game. I've met tons of people on discord that I would never have talked to if I hadn't gone there to get easy updates on the sales.

Thanks ETF and community members for making this sale phenomenal. Hoping for 100 more days of summer  :thumb:
Probably TeX'ing right now.

Offline schafwax

« Reply #15808 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:06:21 »
You can't please everyone, and ETF knows this. Honestly, this format is the best chance any of us have at getting a 20 cap micro-batch fugu/BK/eggface - other than buying it outright, so how about everyone stfu :D

You're getting a ~10% chance per day at winning an ETF micro-batch. Minus eBay sales, how many chances is that? A ****ing lot...

If you still haven't won, sorry, but this is more than fair.

Ducky Mini
MX Clears
SA Carbon

Offline HamKenobi

« Reply #15809 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:22:41 »
I haven't won and have been checking in all summer but I'm not even mad. It's been super fun and look forward to the rest of the summer sales. Thanks ETF.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline oscdawg

« Reply #15810 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:32:00 »
Poisoned Summer Rocks!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #15811 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:33:32 »
Get obsessed nerds

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #15812 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:46:17 »
Get obsessed nerds

Exactly. I would compare some of these artisans to "Supreme" brand clothing and the like. The people who care enough to watch it are more deserving of a win I feel.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #15813 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:47:22 »
Get obsessed nerds

:):):))
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #15814 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:47:37 »
I was saying in general... honestly wasn't trying to single out any creator. Its really not a fault thing.. its just its not very welcoming to new people. While caps might retain there value! and might seem like a great deal. There still needs to be new people coming into the community to help bolster it. A 1000 dollar keycap is only worth that because someone is willing to pay it which won't always be the case. With out new people coming in that most likely will not be the case. I really don't have a solid silver bullet suggestion for this topic! Just that as someone new.. it feels very lack luster! I am sure everyone. Artisan's included would want feedback on how to make the community grow and strive. That means taking the good and the bad! Though I do completely understand not all opinions are to everyone's taste but that just adds flavor and diversity to something like a forum. People all agreed on every topic every time! then forums would be extremely boring

tbh, the more rare and hard to get these are, the better.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #15815 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 15:58:23 »
Got my Shadowfyre BK in the mail, actually looks pretty good on my current board.

Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #15816 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 16:03:38 »

While this might allow more fresh blood in the community, I think the misunderstanding is that most of us who enjoy the artisan community don't necessarily want that.. We want the people who want the artisans the MOST to have access to get it, not the people who are more "temped to get in". When I first started, I couldn't believe people were interested in artisan caps, and I most certainly never thought I would be. But as you stick around, you'll learn that most of us truly appreciate these caps for the art they are. And just like any art critic would scowl at a Jackson Pollock hanging in a someones downstairs bathroom, some of us do to when we see an elusive and rare artisan up for sale after a very limited raffle. This is a collectors hobby to many of us, and for some of us, that's how we feel it should be.

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #15817 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 16:04:46 »
Got my Shadowfyre BK in the mail, actually looks pretty good on my current board.

Show Image

Also that teal lookin mighty shmexy

Offline Bits

« Reply #15818 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 16:20:19 »
I can see where the guys comming from as to like auctions on slack but honestly the PS sales are fun minus me realizing I'm not very lucky.. People ask wtf am I doing spazzing out typing like mad or checking every notification I get on my phone, so I explain an give the run down... They look at me like, "300-400 people are trying to fill out that form in 3 mins for a piece of plastic!?" It's a total rush, good thing is there's only been about 4 caps (I would kill for lolol) the whole PS where it was actually a let down because I thought "now is my time" and have lost more than 50
My co workers looked at me the same way then I showed them the album and now 2 of them are are asking me to tell them when the birb drops. Ksloop on here is one of them, and he won a bomb king on here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
You're lucky you got at least two onboard! I tried explaining it to my roommate and even after showing him the albums he thinks I'm the craziest person for spending what I spend on artisans. Should have never made that spreadsheet. It hurts looking at that total haha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #15819 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 16:29:02 »
Got my matchy Cryptoculture bumking and foog in the mail right before all the hurricane mess last week, but today was my first day back in the office to put them on my kb! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline totallycaked

« Reply #15820 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 16:35:06 »
Let me get this straight.

We don't want the community to grow? I think its safe to say if that was the mentality of this community we wouldn't have a maker like ETF willing to put time and effort into creating these little pieces of plastic that we love and cherish. I don' think we would even have clack factory or bro if that was the case.

Chill on the exclusivity stuff, its a very approachable hobby for a lot of people - try to keep it that way

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #15821 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 16:47:43 »

We don't want the community to grow? I think its safe to say if that was the mentality of this community we wouldn't have a maker like ETF willing to put time and effort into creating these little pieces of plastic that we love and cherish. I don' think we would even have clack factory or bro if that was the case.

Chill on the exclusivity stuff, its a very approachable hobby for a lot of people - try to keep it that way

I can see how it may be overwhelming at first, there is a little bit of a learning curve as a community newbie, but don't be afraid to ask questions!  Plus you gotta be willing to put in a little leg work to get the prize.  Lots of people want these one of a kind keys, but there are only so many to go around.  Hell, just setting up alerts on Tapatalk has helped me a ton.  Now I get alerts when raffles go live, or when a vendor posts info about an upcoming sale.  Don't assume that the only way to win is to F5 a thread all day.  And the 3-5 minute timeframe keeps the # of entries down.  If you catch the birb and enter in time, then it's a much better chance you'll win than if he left it open for 4 hours and there were 1000+ entries.

Offline jlane

« Reply #15822 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 16:58:02 »
Show Image

has anyone ordered the logo tshirt?

Offline schafwax

« Reply #15823 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 17:11:12 »

Show Image

I know what would look better, a Day 8 Titan III :D Trade?

Ducky Mini
MX Clears
SA Carbon

Offline DirtyMonkey43

« Reply #15824 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 17:11:26 »
If you don't like how the raffle is ran, remember that there's an easy fix. Don't participate. ETF has had many sales in different formats and will have future sales in different formats. He wanted Poisoned Summer to be a certain event type way that followed a set motif. But if you don't like it, just wait for the next one. Also, there has been 85 days, with most of them being raffles days. ETF has given ample opportunity for anyone, no matter experience level, to participate. There's no point in arguing over this with other members of our community. We're all in the same boat, with job and lives, just trying to score some awesome caps made by an awesome maker.

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #15825 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 17:14:09 »

I can see how it may be overwhelming at first, there is a little bit of a learning curve as a community newbie, but don't be afraid to ask questions!  Plus you gotta be willing to put in a little leg work to get the prize.  Lots of people want these one of a kind keys, but there are only so many to go around.  Hell, just setting up alerts on Tapatalk has helped me a ton.  Now I get alerts when raffles go live, or when a vendor posts info about an upcoming sale.  Don't assume that the only way to win is to F5 a thread all day.  And the 3-5 minute timeframe keeps the # of entries down.  If you catch the birb and enter in time, then it's a much better chance you'll win than if he left it open for 4 hours and there were 1000+ entries.

^This. We have no problem with newcomers in the community, and are happy to welcome anyone interested in the craft. I think the issue comes from the fact that these artisan caps are very limited, and the value is subjective. So yes, there can be only 5 of a cap, and someone out there could be willing to pay $1000 for it... Which is something many artisan makers are not very happy about, and try to actively prevent. There's a lot of comments from makers out there upset about the aftermarket prices on the caps they sold for like $50. That's one of the biggest supporting reasons for this style of raffle imo. It rewards the obsessed, which is exactly what the makers are looking for. People who will appreciate the caps for the work that went into them, and hopefully hold onto them for a long, long time.

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #15826 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 17:50:54 »
Got my matchy Cryptoculture bumking and foog in the mail right before all the hurricane mess last week, but today was my first day back in the office to put them on my kb! 

Show Image

Show Image

Daammnnn boiiii, those are nice

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #15827 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 18:10:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

And I thought I was lucky for winning the BK! Congrats that's a nice pair you have there.

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #15828 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 18:11:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

And I thought I was lucky for winning the BK! Congrats that's a nice pair you have there.

That's what she said!  Wait...

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #15829 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 18:13:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

That's what she said!  Wait...

Honestly it could go for both genders! Just in different areas of the body haha

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #15830 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 18:20:45 »

So yes, there can be only 5 of a cap, and someone out there could be willing to pay $1000 for it... Which is something many artisan makers are not very happy about, and try to actively prevent. There's a lot of comments from makers out there upset about the aftermarket prices on the caps they sold for like $50. That's one of the biggest supporting reasons for this style of raffle imo. It rewards the obsessed, which is exactly what the makers are looking for. People who will appreciate the caps for the work that went into them, and hopefully hold onto them for a long, long time.

Pretty well-put! It aint easy being cultured ;)

Offline totallycaked

« Reply #15831 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 18:57:32 »
Yes, making them more exclusive will somehow make them less valuable in after market... Huh?  :rolleyes:

Offline Keycakes

« Reply #15832 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:01:34 »
I am no longer getting notifications from this thread. Curse or blessing?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #15833 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:03:08 »
I am no longer getting notifications from this thread. Curse or blessing?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Notifications are now lvl 8 obsessed or higher.  Get obsessed.

Offline bbmathlvr

« Reply #15834 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:07:28 »
Yes, making them more exclusive will somehow make them less valuable in after market... Huh?  :rolleyes:

It will absolutely raise the market value because it does achieve its goal. It lowers the supply because more people are keeping them after the initial sale. 

Probably TeX'ing right now.

Offline totallycaked

« Reply #15835 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:36:33 »
Is there any evidence for that? Personally I've seen quite a few of these on MM since the sale began... dunno seems like it backfired.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #15836 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:36:42 »
Yeah the way the market value will fall is the fact that prior to PS there was what, maybe 100 "rare" fugus in the wild? Now there are thousands and pretty much everyone whos been playing this summer has gotten at least 1 PS cap... lots of people have gotten multiple. I cant imagine anyone paying the prices of say the SCP-073/Protoculture small batch caps from this spring.
-Dana

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #15837 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:39:21 »
Is there any evidence for that? Personally I've seen quite a few of these on MM since the sale began... dunno seems like it backfired.

I have seen lots up for trade sure, the ones i've seen for sale... one was $70 the other was $150... I havent really seen any that were abnormally high like the $250+ range - not to say that hasnt happened. If you are paying that much for a PS cap you simply have money to blow and dont care, or you're not being patient enough.
-Dana

Offline wizzardsh!t

« Reply #15838 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:42:44 »
This argument is p much one side yelling, "it's a bug!" and the other side yelling, "it's a feature!"

Offline txclack

« Reply #15839 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:44:32 »
I don't think that is evidence of the sale backfiring.  I think those caps just ended up in the wrong hands and, hopefully, were sold to the right hands who will keep and cherish the PS caps.  Highly sought after caps, like the No Face Fugu/Eggface will hardly ever be up for sale again because they are landing in the hands of people who truly want them.  ETF's goal shouldn't be in making more than he already is, but making designs which people truly want and appreciate (which he has been nailing this PS sale) - at least that's my opinion on the topic.

Offline totallycaked

« Reply #15840 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:49:51 »
I'm just saying it's not all collectors here. There is a lot of incentive to flip these, and I don't doubt many of us would consider selling these for a stupid amount if the opportunity presented itself.

Offline shuangmu

« Reply #15841 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:51:14 »
I don't think that is evidence of the sale backfiring.  I think those caps just ended up in the wrong hands and, hopefully, were sold to the right hands who will keep and cherish the PS caps.  Highly sought after caps, like the No Face Fugu/Eggface will hardly ever be up for sale again because they are landing in the hands of people who truly want them.  ETF's goal shouldn't be in making more than he already is, but making designs which people truly want and appreciate (which he has been nailing this PS sale) - at least that's my opinion on the topic.

Yes!!!!! I agree with you!
                                                                           Love Artisan<3
                                                                                                                                       Love geekhack                     

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #15842 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:57:30 »
I'm just saying it's not all collectors here. There is a lot of incentive to flip these, and I don't doubt many of us would consider selling these for a stupid amount if the opportunity presented itself.

Of course not, but I think you are overestimating the number of people who are in it for profit. The large majority are good guys in my experience.

Yeah the way the market value will fall is the fact that prior to PS there was what, maybe 100 "rare" fugus in the wild? Now there are thousands and pretty much everyone whos been playing this summer has gotten at least 1 PS cap... lots of people have gotten multiple. I cant imagine anyone paying the prices of say the SCP-073/Protoculture small batch caps from this spring.

Weirdly it has gotten even more expensive.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 20:00:11 by nastrovje »

Offline shuangmu

« Reply #15843 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:57:58 »
 A new day :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 21:07:43 by shuangmu »
                                                                           Love Artisan<3
                                                                                                                                       Love geekhack                     

Offline shuangmu

« Reply #15844 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:59:49 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
                                                                           Love Artisan<3
                                                                                                                                       Love geekhack                     

Offline jlane

« Reply #15845 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 20:27:53 »
1st artisan cap to start the collection.  I think it's in the "right hands"  :thumb:
178197-0

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #15846 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 20:35:55 »
^ very nice.

yeah i love the 2 that i've won. I'm actually building a whole keyboard around the "Stripes" colorway.
-Dana

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #15847 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 20:39:52 »
Some of these responses are really sad and more painful for the community overall I think. I mean saying you want the community to be exclusive and only cater to a select few is like tolling a death bell for the artisan community in general. Its a very poor way to think! Already the Mechanical keyboard community in of its self is a very small community. There just not a lot of people willing to shell out big bucks for things. There is enough to get things done but like I said before... you need fresh blood to keep it alive. 

I hate to point out the obvious and I know the creators of artisan caps do it out of love for there... art but lets be real... love for art don't pay bills, college loans, or put food on the table!... but selling caps for 50 dollars a piece sure will. I am sure at the end of the day the reason they continue to create key caps is because they love it and it helps fund there other projects if not... be a way to put food on the table and pay rent. I bet regardless of what anyone wants to think... if this wasn't profitable in some manor! they wouldn't continue cause real life isn't free.

I am letting this thread get to me way to much and the entire artisan thing in general. I was just trying to point out from a new persons prospective how it felt. Though really glad I have seen other aspects of the hobby before this. cause if this was what I was introduced into! I would have just left! been like meh maybe mechs... are a community I don't want to be a part of. Keep that in mind next time you feel like saying something should be exclusive to a elite group. When it comes to a forum you never know what part of it someone new might read. Though found most sections to be amazing and the people really helpful and kind.. the discussions in general pretty enjoyable.

I not hating on creators are artisan key caps. if I was doing that wouldn't have bought two of the Thabertooth caps! I do think perhaps that a far better way of selling/producing them. but o will like said! I go enjoy other parts of the community! and just make it a point not to click into parts of the community I know aren't as welcoming to newcomers.

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #15848 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 20:57:09 »
I come here for the fun of joining something every evening with a bunch of fun people and to tell everyone good luck because even if my day is crappy seeing people wishing others good luck, entering and sometimes even winning an invoice makes me feel a little better and it's nice to be a part of something like this. People bringing in  ideals of elitism is annoying and I literally ignore any facet of it. I hope we try to include new people in the community because like others have said it can stagnate otherwise and might not be as fun as it used to be. Besides, you can never have too many friends.

Offline Tsuruya

« Reply #15849 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 21:01:04 »
There just not a lot of people willing to shell out big bucks for things.
TGR 910 round 2 would like to have a word with you....