Author Topic: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - GB COMPLETE  (Read 100926 times)

Offline rampantandroid

Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:10:17 »

Not sure what was meant by "Here's a guess", as it doesn't really fit the context of the discussion. Maybe he was trying to match feet, they look the same. I'm sure Yanbo will be along to clarify soon enough. I may be wrong. I'll watch this and fix it if it is wrong and no one beats me to it.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet/talk/390154

Even if it is 5mm a drill press can easily enlarge the hole.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:40:15 »

Not sure what was meant by "Here's a guess", as it doesn't really fit the context of the discussion. Maybe he was trying to match feet, they look the same. I'm sure Yanbo will be along to clarify soon enough. I may be wrong. I'll watch this and fix it if it is wrong and no one beats me to it.

or, if we know/decide on a size i can get the change in before prototyping

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 04:29:41 »

Or that. I almost prefer a smaller hole though since it leaves the buyer to decide the size. But not everyone has a drill press I suppose.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - CHECK YOUR ORDERS
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 13:31:16 »
orders have closed everyone, so please go check your order and make sure everything looks right to you. some people have outstanding issues, namely LED color selection. check the order status form and let me know if you see anything wrong

thanks again to everyone who helped make this happen

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 18:13:43 »

Now that Yanbo has confirmed the screw sizes, any decisions being made?
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 00:16:57 »

do we want holes for a 3m screw, or a 4m screw? right now, the holes are 3.5mm dia. which at some point i determined would be best for a 3m screw.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:21:54 »

do we want holes for a 3m screw, or a 4m screw? right now, the holes are 3.5mm dia. which at some point i determined would be best for a 3m screw.

Makes no difference to me...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Rarabka233

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 12:13:00 »

I already ordered some of the feet from Taobao so I'd honestly rather go with the current design.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:19:15 »
i am inclined to keep the holes for feet as-is (3.5mm) and people can bore or file them out as needed. any objections?

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:38:09 »
i am inclined to keep the holes for feet as-is (3.5mm) and people can bore or file them out as needed. any objections?

Fine with me. I was just wanting to know before that drop ends.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:55:15 »

Fine with me. I was just wanting to know before that drop ends.

this week will be the last chance to make any final tweaks to the plates. unless there is a majority of orders that want them changed, i will leave it as-is

Offline Xenium

• MNMLST
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 11:04:26 »
Sent you a PM regarding change of switch. Hope it isn't too late.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 11:25:03 »
Sent you a PM regarding change of switch. Hope it isn't too late.

just updated your order.

Offline Xenium

• MNMLST
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 13:18:55 »
Thank you  ;D

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 19:05:54 »
just a heads up, i ordered a "prototype" from the fab shop so i can confirm tolerances and buildability. they gave me 1-1.5 week lead time. when i have it, i will do a little build log and post in a reserved slot on page 1

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:33:20 »
just a heads up, i ordered a "prototype" from the fab shop so i can confirm tolerances and buildability. they gave me 1-1.5 week lead time. when i have it, i will do a little build log and post in a reserved slot on page 1

Thanks for the update - look forward to seeing the result. Will this also show off the finish you're using, or is this just to verify the cuts are good?

Ordered the feet from massdrop and it looks like my order of Zealios will ship soon :D

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 11:42:32 »
i have some bad news. the supplier of gateron switches has altered their terms of the deal, and are requiring 100k MOQ. we are around 1200. that effectively means no Gaterons :( I'm really sorry about this, but it is beyond my control.
I will be contacting those people who have ordered gateron switches to see how they would like to proceed.

Offline G-Dubs

Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - INVOICING
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 12:28:48 »
That kind of sucks. The MD Gateron GB couldn't have been timed better, though.

If there's an MOQ for the other types switches, I'd be interested in getting a set to help out with that. Otherwise, omitting the switches altogether will be OK.
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 13:19:46 »

If there's an MOQ for the other types switches, I'd be interested in getting a set to help out with that. Otherwise, omitting the switches altogether will be OK.

late breaking news - MechanicalKeyboards.com as stepped in and offered to supply the gaterons (also) at similar pricing. I sent emails to everyone who ordered gateron switches. please reply back or pm me and let me know what you would like to do.

Invoicing will begin this week, and I will start ordering parts as soon as the funds come in

Offline duras

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:04:30 »

late breaking news - MechanicalKeyboards.com as stepped in and offered to supply the gaterons (also) at similar pricing. I sent emails to everyone who ordered gateron switches. please reply back or pm me and let me know what you would like to do.

Invoicing will begin this week, and I will start ordering parts as soon as the funds come in

I didn't get an email...

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 00:17:19 »

I didn't get an email...

yes, i have not sent invoices out yet. i have been in contact with paypal to make sure we wont have any issues like i have heard about other group buy leaders' accounts being frozen. honestly, i am sketched out. i dont want to get into a situation where i have to refund a bunch of payments and further delay ordering any parts. if people back out, this could fall apart. also, i want to make sure the fab shop can deliver on the quality of plates we want. i'm just trying to not rush into this.

i can start invoicing this week and start ordering parts as long as there is no problem with paypal. what are your guys' thoughts?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 08:48:17 »

I didn't get an email...

yes, i have not sent invoices out yet. i have been in contact with paypal to make sure we wont have any issues like i have heard about other group buy leaders' accounts being frozen. honestly, i am sketched out. i dont want to get into a situation where i have to refund a bunch of payments and further delay ordering any parts. if people back out, this could fall apart. also, i want to make sure the fab shop can deliver on the quality of plates we want. i'm just trying to not rush into this.

i can start invoicing this week and start ordering parts as long as there is no problem with paypal. what are your guys' thoughts?

My own experience with PayPal has been great. They sorta stopped me for a moment one I took in over $1,000 and requested my social security number. After I gave it to them smooth sailing all the way. But I have only had one customer file a dispute which is just an issue and s was resolved with communication between myself and the individual. He was unfamiliar with how long GBs take. 

Offline duras

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 09:38:56 »

Sorry, I meant I didn't get one about the gateron switches. I'm cool going with MechanicalKeyboards.com for mine, was just confused because I didn't get an email about that.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 13:41:50 »

Sorry, I meant I didn't get one about the gateron switches. I'm cool going with MechanicalKeyboards.com for mine, was just confused because I didn't get an email about that.

oh! ok, I will shoot one to you in a bit

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:04:28 »
ok, i dont hear anyone shouting stop, so i will begin invoicing tomorrow via paypal.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 12:01:08 »
Here's a quick question: how do people handle the cable on these skeleton keyboards? I don't want to just plug directly into the teensy - if it gets pulled out, I need to get a new surface mount micro USB plug. I'm thinking of maybe buying something like this, and then mounting it to the bottom plate:

And then just running a short cable between the teensy and the board (just take a micro USB cable and chop off the end of it, I'm thinking.)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 12:40:57 »
Here's a quick question: how do people handle the cable on these skeleton keyboards? I don't want to just plug directly into the teensy - if it gets pulled out, I need to get a new surface mount micro USB plug. I'm thinking of maybe buying something like this, and then mounting it to the bottom plate:

More
Show Image

And then just running a short cable between the teensy and the board (just take a micro USB cable and chop off the end of it, I'm thinking.)

Well, a person could just build a tension bridge out of wire to hold the cable in place like this:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 12:41:48 »

More
Show Image

Well, a person could just build a tension bridge out of wire to hold the cable in place like this:

Show Image

Picture meant for context, not necessarily application...

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:19:25 »
I will try to address the USB connection in the build log. Hopefully I can get that posted next week. The fab shop contacted me today and let me know that the prototype is in the mail now. They had some issues with the switch cutouts not falling through and popping up on the plate, so that may complicate the manufacturing process. Also, first round of invoices just went out. i will be sending out the next batches over the weekend. my thought is to space them out a bit - idk, maybe that will help keep us from triggering a "random freeze" in the paypal system

Offline a-c

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:52:24 »
I got a "Money Request" Instead of an Invoice. Same thing?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:55:58 »

yes, it should say "for goods or services" on it

Offline a-c

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:47:51 »

Doesn't really say anything. Has a note "Phantom GB".

Would appreciate a normal Paypal Invoice. You can just copy and paste the description from the spreadsheet info.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 23:36:54 »

Would appreciate a normal Paypal Invoice. You can just copy and paste the description from the spreadsheet info.

ok, i tried to resend. let me know if that works

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:16:23 »

Just got my invoice, (not money request) but it has no details - could I get the same thing, just copy/paste my order from the spreadsheet?

Sorry if it causes trouble.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:58:09 »

Just got my invoice, (not money request) but it has no details - could I get the same thing, just copy/paste my order from the spreadsheet?

Sorry if it causes trouble.

PM me what you need. i will try and be accommodating.

I have sent out all invoices, and about half have already paid. Thanks everyone! payment is due for the remaining invoices by April 24, this Sunday. I will wait to order parts until all payments have come in.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 20:36:59 »
prototype plates came today. as expected, they came in the mail in a folded up envelope, bound in masking tape. lol 

the plates also have a vinyl layer stuck to them with the markings "Laser Guard" i assume the 2B finish stock they buy comes with this already stuck on. as you can see, the laser makes quite a mess of it in the process.

the plates have a rough finish on the back, and a shiny #2B finish on the front side. here is the dull side:

here is the finished side:

The plates needed some cleaning after removing the adhesive, as some of the glue melted around the edges of the cuts. I rubbed them both down with rubbing alcohol on a rag - not paper towels. seemed to clean up fine, just took a few minutes of effort.

imho, these plates are higher quality than we got from the previous group buy on deskthority. i will be working on a build log this week, hoping to have it finished and posted by this weekend.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 06:59:38 »
prototype plates came today. as expected, they came in the mail in a folded up envelope, bound in masking tape. lol 
Show Image

the plates also have a vinyl layer stuck to them with the markings "Laser Guard" i assume the 2B finish stock they buy comes with this already stuck on. as you can see, the laser makes quite a mess of it in the process.
Show Image

the plates have a rough finish on the back, and a shiny #2B finish on the front side. here is the dull side:
Show Image

here is the finished side:
Show Image

The plates needed some cleaning after removing the adhesive, as some of the glue melted around the edges of the cuts. I rubbed them both down with rubbing alcohol on a rag - not paper towels. seemed to clean up fine, just took a few minutes of effort.
Show Image

imho, these plates are higher quality than we got from the previous group buy on deskthority. i will be working on a build log this week, hoping to have it finished and posted by this weekend.

Too cool for school  :cool:

Offline Data

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 09:53:54 »
Those plates look good. The Phantom is a really fun build. Have you considered what you might use for feet/bumpers on the bottom plate? Also, if you do another run you should consider adding a hole for the reset switch on the Teensy.  Looking forward to seeing the build logs.  :thumb:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 10:20:39 »
Those plates look good. The Phantom is a really fun build. Have you considered what you might use for feet/bumpers on the bottom plate? Also, if you do another run you should consider adding a hole for the reset switch on the Teensy.  Looking forward to seeing the build logs.  :thumb:

Part of the fun will be to drill my own hole for this...mwahahahahahahaha!

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 14:08:18 »
PM me what you need. i will try and be accommodating.

I have sent out all invoices, and about half have already paid. Thanks everyone! payment is due for the remaining invoices by April 24, this Sunday. I will wait to order parts until all payments have come in.

Thanks - sent a PM.

Plates look awesome!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 14:55:00 »
still waiting for payments on the 8 remaining invoices. i will send out reminders shortly. Sunday is the due date for payment. Hopefully we don't have any more drop-outs, as that could affect the pricing of the parts.

I will begin ordering parts on Monday. thanks again, everyone!

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 16:27:09 »
I've been slammed. Just started a new job. I'll get that payment to you :)
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:37:18 »
still waiting for payments on the 8 remaining invoices. i will send out reminders shortly. Sunday is the due date for payment. Hopefully we don't have any more drop-outs, as that could affect the pricing of the parts.

I will begin ordering parts on Monday. thanks again, everyone!

I should be marked as paid - I sent payment a day or two ago. :)

What's the threshold we need to stay above to maintain the lower price/how close are we?

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 01:04:04 »
Sup roostr. I'm paid up
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 01:36:19 »

Don't know what everyone else is doing, but I think a bunch bought these: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 11:51:47 »
Hey Roostr,

Wanted to make a last second change, then I'll pay up.  I sent you an email... Let me know your thoughts!! Sorry man! Hope it's cool.  My life has been beyond crazy, I apologize for the tardiness.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 19:54:14 »
thanks everyone who has followed up. still waiting on a few remaining invoices.

in my original estimate with the fab shop, i sent them an initial order for 50 sets of plates, and i was planning on buying 4 or 5 of those as extra. as of right now, we are about half that. i talked to them this week and told them our order would not be as large. they did not mention a MOQ, but they said they do have a minimum fee for small projects - we are still a large enough order t have this covered. they mentioned that they may have to adjust pricing slightly due to some issues that came up during manufacturing, but assured me that these increases would not be more than a couple dollars per set.

i have also been working on the prototype build, and i will post a build log in the coming week.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 03:53:12 »
thanks everyone who has followed up. still waiting on a few remaining invoices.

in my original estimate with the fab shop, i sent them an initial order for 50 sets of plates, and i was planning on buying 4 or 5 of those as extra. as of right now, we are about half that. i talked to them this week and told them our order would not be as large. they did not mention a MOQ, but they said they do have a minimum fee for small projects - we are still a large enough order t have this covered. they mentioned that they may have to adjust pricing slightly due to some issues that came up during manufacturing, but assured me that these increases would not be more than a couple dollars per set.

i have also been working on the prototype build, and i will post a build log in the coming week.

Sent a PM regarding the slots for people who dropped.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:14:19 »
i think it would be great if people wanted to step in and cover some of the orders that have cancelled. shoot me a pm if you want to order a kit or other parts. these open slots will be available until friday, when i place the order with the shop. i will be closing out all the unpaid invoices.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - ORDERING PARTS
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 17:23:11 »
all invoices have been reconciled. i will begin ordering parts tomorrow. build log will be up soon also!