Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 43489 times)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 18:48:38 »
Finished the dawn of wonder. Pretty good. Moving on to Robin Hobb though. Starting with Assassins apprentice:

-Dana

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 05:41:57 »
These days I am reading a book Outliers. It is a book about success. Can everyone become successful? Yes, but how? Well, read the book to know that.

Half way through myself. Interesting read, huh?  :)

Lol, was really busy and just finished the book two days ago. :D About to start the second book in South Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer called Authority.
LAGOM 🐸-T | TMO50 FE #06 | TMOv2 prototype

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 06:40:56 »

About to start the second book in South Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer called Authority.

That was a long and difficult read. For me it was equal parts fascinating and frustrating, but ultimately unsatisfying. No doubt that was the intent all along.
"I never understood wind. I know windmills very much, I have studied it better than anybody. I know it is very expensive. They are made in China and Germany mostly, very few made here, almost none, but they are manufactured, tremendous if you are into this tremendous fumes and gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint, fumes are spewing into the air, right spewing, whether it is China or Germany, is going into the air. A windmill will kill many bald eagles. After a certain number, they make you turn the windmill off, that is true. By the way, they make you turn it off. And yet, if you killed one, they put you in jail. That is OK. But why is it OK for windmills to destroy the bird population?" - Donald Trump - Turning Point USA speech - 2019-12-22

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 10:21:16 »

About to start the second book in South Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer called Authority.

That was a long and difficult read. For me it was equal parts fascinating and frustrating, but ultimately unsatisfying. No doubt that was the intent all along.

The first book was a quick read but gotta say it was both fascinating and frustrating too. Have heard quite a few people saying that series are engaging but at the same time a bit boring and all over the place. I liked the first one but it's probably the first horror book I've read. Unless you count some Latvian classics (not horror but a lot of sad stories about unhappy unlucky people doing all the wrong choices and thus suffering their whole life).

Offline smarmar

• My other car is a Model M
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 15:38:40 »
I just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. I first watched the film about a year ago and have been ruminating on it since. It really made an impression on me and I wanted to see how the book it's based on compares to it.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal [Browns] | Hi-Tek RT-101 [NMB AT/XT] | Matias Tactile Pro 3 [Alps] | Tandy Enhanced [Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi [AT]

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 16:47:28 »
Been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately. I was always curious but his work intimidated me. And with good reason too since I can't read his stuff without google to look up a word every 3 lines lol but I love his stuff. My gf bought me a big ass book with most of his published stories and I can't get enough.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:34:27 »
Been reading a lot of Lovecraft lately. I was always curious but his work intimidated me. And with good reason too since I can't read his stuff without google to look up a word every 3 lines lol but I love his stuff. My gf bought me a big ass book with most of his published stories and I can't get enough.

I've been meaning to get into Lovecraft, myself. I know what you mean about having to look up fancy words. I kept a pocket dictionary bundled with my Lord of the Rings books (pre-internet days) for just that reason.  :thumb:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal [Browns] | Hi-Tek RT-101 [NMB AT/XT] | Matias Tactile Pro 3 [Alps] | Tandy Enhanced [Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi [AT]

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:49:50 »

I've been meaning to get into Lovecraft, myself. I know what you mean about having to look up fancy words. I kept a pocket dictionary bundled with my Lord of the Rings books (pre-internet days) for just that reason.  :thumb:

It really feels like a steep learning curve but he uses a lot of the same words throughout his stories so once you get over the hump, it's not so much of a problem. Really worth it though. You really should check his stuff out. Not sure if you've checked out any of hos stuff but I recommend Shadow Over Innsmouth :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smarmar

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 12:43:58 »

It really feels like a steep learning curve but he uses a lot of the same words throughout his stories so once you get over the hump, it's not so much of a problem. Really worth it though. You really should check his stuff out. Not sure if you've checked out any of hos stuff but I recommend Shadow Over Innsmouth :)

He's on my ever-expanding list of authors I need to check out. I've played the tabletop RPG Delta Green, which is based off of Call of Cthulhu, which is based off of Lovecraft's works.

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #209 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 12:52:13 »

He's on my ever-expanding list of authors I need to check out. I've played the tabletop RPG Delta Green, which is based off of Call of Cthulhu, which is based off of Lovecraft's works.

A lot of people start off reading Call of Cthulhu and I did as well. Personally I think it wasn't the best way to go since the story feels like a chunk of a larger story taken out of context (which it is if you consider Lovecraft's universe as the larger story). I was lost until I read some of his other stories. I'd love to check out Delta Green but sadly none of my friends are into tabletops

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 11:20:39 »
Just finished reading The World in My Pocket by James Hadley Chase

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! Even I forgot this existed lol. :D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • I like keebs and cereal
    • My promotion link
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 14:10:34 »
to kill a mockingbird in class

Offline csmertx

• proprietor of waffles
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Perfectly normal beast
    • https://csmertx.github.io
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 14:35:24 »
The Fires of Heaven 
More
 / another 3d keyboard model thread / BSD thread / github / falotalt
...Especially the Florida cousins, who obviously can't take a hint.

Offline sarahnicole

• //add comment here later
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 15:15:56 »
to kill a mockingbird in class

An American public school rite of passage

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 10:00:34 »
"I never understood wind. I know windmills very much, I have studied it better than anybody. I know it is very expensive. They are made in China and Germany mostly, very few made here, almost none, but they are manufactured, tremendous if you are into this tremendous fumes and gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint, fumes are spewing into the air, right spewing, whether it is China or Germany, is going into the air. A windmill will kill many bald eagles. After a certain number, they make you turn the windmill off, that is true. By the way, they make you turn it off. And yet, if you killed one, they put you in jail. That is OK. But why is it OK for windmills to destroy the bird population?" - Donald Trump - Turning Point USA speech - 2019-12-22

Offline kwerdenker

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 15:50:59 »
"David Mogo Godhunter" by Suyi Davies Okungbowa
Started reading it because I read in a description the term Nigerian Godpunk genre and was very interested in that. Does not dissapoint in that regard btw.

Next up is one of these:
  • The Robots of Gotham - Todd McAulty
  • The Shepherd's Crown - Terry Pratchett
  • Star Trek The Next Generation: The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D Illustrated Handbook - Multiple Authors

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • I like keebs and cereal
    • My promotion link
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 12:13:08 »
Reading merchant of venice by william shakespeare for school project

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 13:46:09 »