Author Topic: [IC] AMJ 96 Keyboard  (Read 39144 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
[IC] AMJ 96 Keyboard
« on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:24:43 »
Hi everyone!
Today I am bringing you the possibility for a top-quality keyboard from AMJ, a small Chinese keyboard producer.
The AMJ 96 keyboard is currently available on taobao, but if there is enough interest I will run a groupbuy both to make shipping cheaper, and to clarify all the possible keyboard options in english for geekhack users to make sure people get what they want. The keyboard is currently still in development, and would be available for a groupbuy in about a month.

I have here a few sample pictures, and I've been in contact with AMJ, so I will be trying to get more.

Now for some information:
The keyboard kit includes pre-soldered PCB and metal housing. As you can see above, the housing comes in two ways, an aluminum top with an acrylic bottom, or a sandwich case with aluminum top and bottom and acrylic in the middle. The aluminum bottom is simply a seperate piece that you can attach to turn an acrylic-bottomed case into a sandwich case.
I will ask AMJ for sample images of the different metals

The keyboard supports 16 independently programmable RGB LEDs, as well as in-switch LEDs (Unsure if they will end up supporting RGB in-switch). Interestingly, the keyboard also allows you to choose whether you would like to use micro or mini usb connections with it, and has two places on the PCB for usb connections, one on the back and one on the side, as shown here:

Here are the supported layouts of the PCB:

I am currently in contact with AMJ, and I will probably start the groupbuy as soon as we can work out the logistics and when the keyboard is available. I would really like to hear from people though, so that I can give them an idea of the amount of demand.

[4/15/16 UPDATE]

Ok, here is the big update post

First of all, I have found someone who is willing to do lots of easy translation for us, getting questions answered will now be a lot easier for everyone. I will be able to talk to these guys everyone morning around 11am EST, so that is around when you will get answers to questions if I do not already know the answer to them.
Next: We have been officially cleared to have our own production run, with the one downside that I believe that actual MOQ will be 30 kits. I still think that this will probably not be a problem.
A benefit of this though, the designer has said he would like to add a little custom text to the board for our groupbuy though, either written onto the PCB or etched into the bottom of the case, maybe just something like the geekhack logo or something like that. If that is something people are interested in we can have a vote about what it should be.

Next: In terms of colors, the case is manufactured by the same factory as the ZZ96, so you can refer to the color reference sheet from that groupbuy to see what the different available colors are. All the colors you see there are available for both the plate and the casing. Also in regards to casing, I am afraid that you will actually not be able to purchase the keyboard without an aluminum bottom. The only option will be to purchase the full case. AMJ has been informed that the factory manufactures the whole case together, so unfortunately it would be impossible to buy only the top part of the alu case.

Finally: Pricing
The pricing will be between $260 and $300, including shipping and everything, so that is good news. This will also depend largely on the number of kits purchased. If we reach about 50 kits, the price will tip to be a good amount cheaper. In addition, these prices are based on overestimates of how much the boards will be taxed by the chinese government, so we're hoping to keep them as low as possible. Personally I think that this kit price is quite good for such a quality designed keyboard.

My next steps include getting some more complete pictures of the board renders so you all can have really great idea of what the final board will look like.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:18:42 by trenzafeeds »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline VereChi

Re: [IC] AMJ 96 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:26:04 »
按摩杰

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:31:33 »
Looks nice. Would like to see a mockup of the top of the keyboard.

Offline talthalra

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:00:42 »
I'm definitely interested. Any idea on the pricing yet?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:08:00 »
Can you put non-watermarked picture?

What is that hole between two housings?

Might interested in this instead if I get refunded from ZZ96
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline Butter

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:15:28 »

I think the hole between the housing is for the other usb port.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:20:10 »

+1 with you :p

Offline Geekmie

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 10:09:01 »
What is the under glow? RGB LED through an acrylic bottom plate or it's just a render for the effect?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 10:16:31 »
Interested in this or possibly a TKL version.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 10:40:03 »
I am interested if this happens.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 11:37:57 »
might be interested, depending on price and what happens with ZZ96 R2

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 12:17:35 »
OP hasn't updated it since this morning. I'm losing faith in this project and would like to see a post from OP.

/s

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:14:05 »
im very interested, with what happened to zz96 this could be a good alternative. :3

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 14:58:57 »
/s

niceme.me

What is the under glow? RGB LED through an acrylic bottom plate or it's just a render for the effect?

There are sixteen independently programmable RGB LEDs on the back of the keyboard.

I have one more picture to post, and as they create more modern prototypes I will have better ones

and the guy above was correct, that hole will have a USB port in it in the future, it just doesn't in the render for some reason.

I've also updated with some new info I've gotten. Looks like they will be ready for international orders in about a month, which was pretty much my time line anyway. I am now ironing out the kinks of ordering directly from them, instead of going through their TaoBao marketplace.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 April 2016, 15:05:08 by trenzafeeds »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Geekmie

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 15:06:16 »
I really like the housing. Wish there are versions from 60% to 75% layout. ;)

Offline nemoy

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 15:21:05 »
This looks like a good alternative to the ZSZ96 if Lunaris can't get his Paypal sorted out. What kind of time frame are you hoping to having on turnaround?

Offline roadkill54

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 15:41:47 »
ohh fa shooowww  :thumb:

Offline Soraie

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 17:16:28 »
Any updates of possible pricing?

But regardless, I'll buy one!

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 17:23:58 »
What firmware will it run on?

What quality aluminium is the casing?

And... since not enough people have asked... price? :D

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 22:21:00 »
im really interested and want to ask more about it.
-can we choose anodizing color for ALU plate?
-does the plate support switch top removal?
-can we get an additional order for gold stab like ZZ96 offered? :p
-and.... price :rolleyes:

Offline hnlz2014

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 23:20:09 »
按摩杰

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

额,你叫我干啥.

Offline AgentZen

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 03:04:21 »
Definitely interested. Keeping my eye on this.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (GMK Hyperfuse) | Working on: Custom 60% w/ 65g feelios (BSP blanks)

Offline BigTinz

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:22:30 »
If this layout is possible, and the price is right, I'm definitely in for at least one.  :thumb:

Offline hnlz2014

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:34:38 »
If this layout is possible, and the price is right, I'm definitely in for at least one.  :thumb:

Show Image

Amj 's Py has Perfectly Compatibility
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:36:35 by hnlz2014 »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 08:01:46 »
This looks like a good alternative to the ZSZ96 if Lunaris can't get his Paypal sorted out. What kind of time frame are you hoping to having on turnaround?

The groupbuy will be starting at soonest about a month from now, after that I would give about a month for production and a bit more for shipping. They use the same factory as the ZZ96, so I imagine similar production time. This will also depend heavily on the number of people in the buy.

What firmware will it run on?

What quality aluminium is the casing?

And... since not enough people have asked... price? :D

The AMJ firmware is TMK-based, and available on their Github
The quality is extremely high on the casing, same aluminum and CNC as the ZZ96, can't remember the exact number right now, but I'm sure the info is available in one of Lunaris's posts.

-and.... price :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I don't have almost any info about the plate right now, I'm really working on getting all of that. Lunaris Dream is helping me get in contact with some of the designers at AMJ (I was previously only speaking to an organizational guy), so that I can get much more info for all of you!

Finally, the price will depend heavily on how shipping goes, but here is the taobao page if you would like a very rough outline of the base price for kits.
it's about
PCB + Sandwich Case: ¥ 888 = ~$137.32
PCB + Flat Case: ¥ 588 = ~$90.95

I am working with Lunaris at the moment to get in contact with better people at AMJ so that I can get a lot more info that I'm unable to quickly and accurately get at the moment, stay tuned!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 11:08:55 »
Looks like a fun kit! Would probably be in on this.

Please plan for the money situation beforehand to avoid frozen paypal funds.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2016, 15:52:23 by redbanshee »

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:30:40 »
The quality is extremely high on the casing, same aluminum and CNC as the ZZ96, can't remember the exact number right now, but I'm sure the info is available in one of Lunaris's posts.

Ok, thanks. Lunaris has warned people about the zz96 case with regard to manufacturing issues (someone has had a 4cm scratch in the middle, as the worst case example). Just wanted to check if this is going through the same manufacturer.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:38:30 »

Ok, thanks. Lunaris has warned people about the zz96 case with regard to manufacturing issues (someone has had a 4cm scratch in the middle, as the worst case example). Just wanted to check if this is going through the same manufacturer.

Hm... I believe AMJ has always used the same manufacturer, and I have never heard of them having troubles before. I will have to check in about this. Perhaps AMJ just does their own QC.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 20:05:36 »
I'm interested. This is a great looking board w/ many options.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 22:57:22 »

4mm on the top of the left side, not cm. But that was because the QC was not as strict as cases only passed factory QC and not the designer's, since they were shipped straight to me. It's not uncommon for the designers to send stuff back to the factory to be remade until the quality is acceptable.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 22:58:21 »

4mm on the top of the left side, not cm. But that was because the QC was not as strict as cases only passed factory QC and not the designer's, since they were shipped straight to me. It's not uncommon for the designers to send stuff back to the factory to be remade until the quality is acceptable.

Thanks for clarifying it lunaris.

Offline Kempher

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 12:53:57 »
I would order one if this moves forward.
SQ-1800 /w Gateron Blacks

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 15:43:00 »
I had some talks this morning with the head of AMJ on QQ chat client, and with the help of LunarisDream's chinese I've answered a lot of questions. This groupbuy will be its own production run, separate from the production of the Chinese groupbuy, mostly to give us more time, because their production is starting in about 5 days. Additionally, hopefully any issues that might be had the first time around will be out of the way by the second run of production. Doing this as our own run will also mean that we will have a MOQ of 20 kits, but I do not really think we will have a problem meeting that. As previously stated, the target time-frame to start the buy is in about two weeks, but if possible I will make it sooner.

Now to answer a few questions:

I am back, and I have answers this time!
The alu plate has exactly the same color options for andonizing as the case, and you can mix-and-match colors. So yes, any color you want for the plate.
The plate DOES allow for switch-top removal
I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be to do gold stabs, but if a few other people are interested I can talk to AMJ about that, I think they may have some on their taobao store, and if they do they can just throw them in for a bit extra.
As for the price, I have an ok idea, but I don't want to give people a false sense before double-checking with the AMJ guy, so I should have an update about that after I talk to him tomorrow morning.

In terms of moving forwards, I think tomorrow morning I will have a conference call with the AMJ head and one of his engineers to translate, just so I can confirm everything. After that I will have an exact start time for the groupbuy and a hopefully pretty exact price. You can expect those updates hopefully tomorrow afternoon or evening if our call works out.

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 April 2016, 19:30:28 by trenzafeeds »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Data

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 19:28:54 »
Interested.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 20:43:25 »
This looks really really nice. I'll be paying attention as you release more information.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 10:11:19 »
lots of updates coming today when I get home, including price range

demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 12:46:27 »

:D
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Butter

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 13:02:15 »

Damn that teaser.  :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:38:47 »
Ok, here is the big update post

First of all, I have found someone who is willing to do lots of easy translation for us, getting questions answered will now be a lot easier for everyone. I will be able to talk to these guys everyone morning around 11am EST, so that is around when you will get answers to questions if I do not already know the answer to them.
Next: We have been officially cleared to have our own production run, with the one downside that I believe that actual MOQ will be 30 kits. I still think that this will probably not be a problem.
A benefit of this though, the designer has said he would like to add a little custom text to the board for our groupbuy though, either written onto the PCB or etched into the bottom of the case, maybe just something like the geekhack logo or something like that. If that is something people are interested in we can have a vote about what it should be.

Next: In terms of colors, the case is manufactured by the same factory as the ZZ96, so you can refer to the color reference sheet from that groupbuy to see what the different available colors are. All the colors you see there are available for both the plate and the casing. Also in regards to casing, I am afraid that you will actually not be able to purchase the keyboard without an aluminum bottom. The only option will be to purchase the full case. AMJ has been informed that the factory manufactures the whole case together, so unfortunately it would be impossible to buy only the top part of the alu case.

Finally: Pricing
The pricing will be between $260 and $300, including shipping and everything, so that is good news. This will also depend largely on the number of kits purchased. If we reach about 50 kits, the price will tip to be a good amount cheaper. In addition, these prices are based on overestimates of how much the boards will be taxed by the chinese government, so we're hoping to keep them as low as possible. Personally I think that this kit price is quite good for such a quality designed keyboard.

My next steps include getting some more complete pictures of the board renders so you all can have really great idea of what the final board will look like.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline roadkill54

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 16:46:17 »
That Cyan looks nice nice nice

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 22:41:38 »
ty for the update.. this would be interesting.. and the price is also good :)

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 12:56:40 »
Looks like you'll have an influx from the ZZ96 buy, Lunaris just had to refund everyone as PayPal isn't cooperating...

Offline breitling

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 14:22:04 »
I'm part of the zz96 influx! Will definitely get in on this if PayPal is an option.

Offline beltet

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 18:25:41 »
Hopefully I can afford this when it hits a GB.
Anyway these look really good!

Offline breitling

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 11:16:23 »
Re the firmware, By TMK-based do you mean the file is generated via the keymap generator and enjoyclick website and then flashed via the amj firmware?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:44:52 »
Re the firmware, By TMK-based do you mean the file is generated via the keymap generator and enjoyclick website and then flashed via the amj firmware?

The firmware is just TMK, you can check it out on their github
https://github.com/AMJKeyboard/AMJ96
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline techmattr

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:42:29 »
Interested. I need to pick up one of these 96 boards...

Offline thebeae

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:38:55 »
Very much interested in this as well.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 16:27:23 »
I don't really use the numpad but this board looks so good that I want it anyways.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 11:10:35 »
Just want to reassure everyone, this is still being worked on. I have been very busy with a number of trips the last week, but now that I'm back I'll be setting things in motion to get this up hopefully within the next week.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.