Author Topic: Friend Looking for Keyboard with Gaterons/Cherry MX  (Read 2599 times)

Offline br4n_d0n

Friend Looking for Keyboard with Gaterons/Cherry MX
« on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 18:42:51 »
I just introduced my friend to mechanical switch world (got him to take a sip of the kool-aid ;D) and he ended up liking some. The problem is, I'm having a hard time finding something for him and was hoping I could get some help here.

UPDATE: Friend seems to be open to Cherry MX boards as well.

Friend's criteria:
  • Gateron Yellow (Black is a possibility)
  • Full size with number pad
  • Prebuilt
  • $100 or less (could maybe go a little bit higher)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:10:47 by br4n_d0n »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Re: Friend Looking for Keyboard with Gaterons
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 19:20:03 »
I just introduced my friend to mechanical switch world (got him to take a sip of the kool-aid ;D) and he ended up liking some. The problem is, I'm having a hard time finding something for him and was hoping I could get some help here.

Friend's criteria:
  • Gateron Yellow (Black is a possibility)
  • Full size with number pad
  • Prebuilt
  • $100 or less (could maybe go a little bit higher)

Not a whole lot of Gateron pre builts out there..especially with a numberpad....and at 100$..Yellows at that a fairly lesser used switch.

Wish i could be of more help here but nothing comes to mind that suits those specific needs.

Only pre built with Yellows i know of offhand is a 60% from KBP and would still be 10$ over budget.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 19:26:04 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 19:24:39 »
MassDrop occasionally runs a drop of Varmilo 108.  Unfortunately no Gateron Yellows; but they usually have Gateron Blacks.

Price might be around $120?  I don't remember.

That's the only full size Gateron board that I know of.

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 19:34:15 »
I figured it would be hard. My friend could most likely got to ~$125 if need be (maybe more if he really likes it).

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 10:44:45 »
Bad luck-- Massdrop usually bundles the compatible version of Gateron Yellows when they drop the TeamWolf swappable switch boards...but, the current iteration of the drop is only for the TKL version (yes I know, it's not exactly pre-built, but close enough; there's no soldering or anything).

I believe PLUM makes, or is about to make, or is at least thinking of making (it's hard to tell sometimes with these foreign ads), a full-size keyboard with Gateron Yellows, but you may have to go through a less traditional channel (AliExpress or even TaoBao), and it'll probably be a bit over your budget.

Not sure what will happen if you go here, select full-size (108), and Gateron yellow, but maybe it'll work?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 10:46:29 by FoxWolf1 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 12:32:00 »
Perhaps he could get a 60% keyboard with a seperate USB numberpad?
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 18:48:09 »
He is now looking at getting the $99 Corsair Strafe. He wants to try out my switches again to see if he goes with the board or not. Any input on this keyboard and whether or not there is something better?

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:01:58 »
He is now looking at getting the $99 Corsair Strafe. He wants to try out my switches again to see if he goes with the board or not. Any input on this keyboard and whether or not there is something better?

If he is now open to CHerry switches i'm sure we could all recommend other boards as the Corsair has a non standard bottom Keycap row which makes replacing the keycaps difficult at best.

What is now his exact budget and what Cherry MX switches is he open to?

By one example here is the Ducky one Fullsize with MX Reds for 99$

http://www.amazon.com/Ducky-Cherry-Typeface-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01BI8VZLA/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461196993&sr=1-12&keywords=full+size+cherry+mx+red+keyboard

also comes stock with doubleshot ABS keycaps so the lettering won't fade with time unlike the corsair board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:04:39 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:09:41 »
Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. I linked him to this thread in the hopes that he can chime in.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:13:03 »
Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. I linked him to this thread in the hopes that he can chime in.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1505

119$ comes in Reds/Blues or Browns comes with Stock DyeSub PBT bi color Keycaps...some of the nicest caps you will find short of paying 80-120$ for aftermarket keycaps.

Will edit this post with more suggestions as i find them

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1520 Royal Kludge Kailh Red switches doubleshot ABS keycaps RGB lighting also avail in brown or blues and or in white color variants.

79$

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1347  KBT with KBT red switches 99$ full size backlit 

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1552 CHerry MX red PBT blue duesub keycaps pre order 5/16 109$

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1403  Leopold full size MX reds 119$ PBT keycaps side printed

Those are a few to get you started looking at anyways :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:26:39 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline br4n_d0n

Re: Friend Looking for Keyboard with Gaterons/Cherry MX
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:31:27 »
FYI, he told me he likes the style of the Corsair and that some of these are not as stylish. So, with that in mind I noticed the E-Element Z77 RGB board and wanted to know what the word is on that.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:34:54 »
FYI, he told me he likes the style of the Corsair and that some of these are not as stylish. So, with that in mind I noticed the E-Element Z77 RGB board and wanted to know what the word is on that.

They are....ok not exactly a huge brand i'd want to trust personally.

Gamer 1337 COD looks Do not equal a quality keyboard.  If he wants that over the top gamer look he is going to have to settle for iffy quality or non standard keycap rows.

I would really recommend sticking to a quality board over gaudy looks or he may regret it later,  that's my personal advice at least.  Wait for someone else to chime in but they will likely give the same advice.

I know i personally had a Corsair K65 RGB and i sold it within 3 months of owning it and reviewed it on my channel.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:36:33 »

They are....ok not exactly a huge brand i'd want to trust personally.

Gamer 1337 COD looks Do not equal a quality keyboard.  If he wants that over the top gamer look he is going to have to settle for iffy quality or non standard keycap rows.

I would really recommend sticking to a quality board over gaudy looks or he may regret it later,  that's my personal advice at least.  Wait for someone else to chime in but they will likely give the same advice.

I know i personally had a Corsair K65 RGB and i sold it within 3 months of owning it and reviewed it on my channel.

best advice

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:43:18 »
Well, he was then wondering about ones like WASD or DAS. Sorry, I'm really new to this stuff myself so I have to rely on the community to help out.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:51:35 »
Well, he was then wondering about ones like WASD or DAS. Sorry, I'm really new to this stuff myself so I have to rely on the community to help out.

Don't apologize. This is what we do.

I'm going to agree with the people who say to go with a more trusted brand often with more simplistic looks. If your buddy decides he wants some flash, he can get some caps in the future.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:51:42 »

Das is ok but has gone downhill as of late.

WASD makes some nice boards but the ones within his budget come with mediocre ABS stock keycaps.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 20:42:19 »
I have him looking at the Ducky Shine 4.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:09:02 »
I have him looking at the Ducky Shine 4.

Ducky is good if you looking for a solid backlit board.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 06:11:22 »
Need to go a little higher...
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline hiperviper

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 14:30:26 »
Hello everyone!

I am the friend that br4n_d0n was helping out.

I just signed up to tell you all thank you very much for educating me about these things and for the suggestions.

I took your words about choosing quality over the Corsair Strafe's gaudy looks to heart and decided to go for the Ducky Shine 4 Blue / Red LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red Cherry MX).

I'll let you know how it goes and how I like it! I am looking forward to joining the world of mechanical keyboardists.

Thanks again!  :thumb:

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 14:40:54 »
Hello everyone!

I am the friend that br4n_d0n was helping out.

I just signed up to tell you all thank you very much for educating me about these things and for the suggestions.

I took your words about choosing quality over the Corsair Strafe's gaudy looks to heart and decided to go for the Ducky Shine 4 Blue / Red LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Red Cherry MX).

I'll let you know how it goes and how I like it! I am looking forward to joining the world of mechanical keyboardists.

Thanks again!  :thumb:

Welcome to the GH!  And definitely let us all know how you enjoy it!
Current Daily Driver/s