Author Topic: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 06/07/16 GB LIVE!!  (Read 24890 times)

Offline breitling

Looks good. I understand this does not reflect the final finish, but I was expecting a mirror finish on the final product but to be honest I would be okay with a brushed or blasted (not machined) finish too.

Offline lootbag

Looks good, I would be ok with either mirror or brushed finish.
Hopefully you will ship internationally in the end.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Looks good, I would be ok with either mirror or brushed finish.
Hopefully you will ship internationally in the end.

I will be shipping international, it will just be the last shipment I'll do. I'm currently conducting my first international sale in classifieds. Couple hoops to jump through but I think I can do it without any let downs on either end.

Meanwhile, it's been about a week since I opened the first IC. From the looks of it

1. While a large number of people voted for ONLY having brass (over 50%), I feel I should still offer the stainless steel option. Copper is out.
2. Polished finish won out by huge margins no matter what material was chosen. As finishing is considered an additional stage of work, having it be only one option will simplify the process.

Offline cirrus82

Is the OCTAGON V2 text going to be optional? I thought I saw this option in one of the polls. If not, does the direction of mounting matter? For example, could I flip it over and have an unmarked surface?

Thanks again for spearheading this, I'll be in either way.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Yes blank plates are still an option, I only put out the results of the most result poll which was targeted towards plate material and finish.

Due to the holes being counter-sunk, you will not have the option to flip the plate around to get a blank plate. Please keep in mind that they only way you will see this plate is if you open up your keyboard. The design is merely for those who want it all. LOL.

Offline cirrus82

Yes blank plates are still an option, I only put out the results of the most result poll which was targeted towards plate material and finish.

Due to the holes being counter-sunk, you will not have the option to flip the plate around to get a blank plate. Please keep in mind that they only way you will see this plate is if you open up your keyboard. The design is merely for those who want it all. LOL.

I don't have mine yet so totally didn't realize this is actually on the inside of the case. Definitely not as important, although it'd be kind of fun to do something silly with it like engrave a fake treasure map on it. You know, for the people who just like to see cash burn.

I didn't specify elsewhere, but I'll be in for two of these.

Offline E3E

Well, I guess you could flip the plates, but you'd just have to find/use pan head screws instead of the cone-shaped ones meant for countersunk mounting. :P It's not too bad of a compromise, but if you just want a blank plate anyway, might as well just buy that.

FYI, ever since E3E mentioned it, I am deeply considering doing it for the Orion but won't take any action at least until this GB order has arrived at my front door.

Oh, this is fantastic to hear. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for any advances on this after this GB gets to that stage. :D

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Well..... making the plates are all going to be the same process. Even the ones with Octagon V2 engraved will have to start off as a blank plate to begin with. That's the reason why a blank plate will be cheaper as no further action is required to mark them complete. (Not much cheaper, but cheaper).

Custom design would be cool, however it would probably delay the manufacturing time for everyone. I suggest if you want a custom design, just order a blank plate and find a local engraver in your area to do the work for you.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin

Well, I guess you could flip the plates, but you'd just have to find/use pan head screws instead of the cone-shaped ones meant for countersunk mounting. :P It's not too bad of a compromise, but if you just want a blank plate anyway, might as well just buy that.

You have given me one more thing to check for during the test fit on Monday. I'll bring pan head screws if I can find them lol.

FYI, ever since E3E mentioned it, I am deeply considering doing it for the Orion but won't take any action at least until this GB order has arrived at my front door.

Oh, this is fantastic to hear. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for any advances on this after this GB gets to that stage. :D

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 06/06/16 It Fits
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 16:21:38 »
If it fits, you must not acquit start the group buy!

Special thanks to Pemdas for driving up from Vancouver to Seattle with his Octagon V2. Weight fits perfectly and the screws are flush. We put the keyboard together with the weight in and there were no shorts! Pictures will be up tonight. Unfortunately reversing the plate doesn't let you use the blank side, this is because the screws will not sit flush enough and may potentially short or damage your PCB. The only way it would work is if you superglue the plate on....but that defeats the purpose of it being reversible lol.

With that last issue taken care of, I will begin the process to start up the Group Buy, should be up in a day or so.

As discussed previously

Material: Brass or Stainless Steel
Engraving: Yes/No
Finish: All polished

Offline tuco

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 19:50:22 »
Sounds awesome, thanks again!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 21:50:43 »
Pictures up! Pemdas if you see this, please feel free to chime in!

Offline breitling

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 22:29:18 »
Awesome, looking forward to this! My Octagon v2 isn't nearly heavy enough....

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 23:09:12 »
Glad I could help!

Here's the pic I took, same thing but with the screws. Can confirm that the fit was perfect! Everything was flush :thumb:

Thanks again for running the buy merlin! Can't wait for the final product!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline E3E

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 00:54:31 »
Amazing work, guys! :thumb: Damn, I wish my Octagon v1 could have a plate, haha. Looks fantastic!

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 02:49:56 »
Amazing work, guys! :thumb: Damn, I wish my Octagon v1 could have a plate, haha. Looks fantastic!

It was all merlin! I was just supplying the octagon for fit purposes :p

And doing my best to nudge merlin in the direction of running the orion v2 weight buy as well :cool:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 09:33:18 »
GB Submitted for Approval  :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 06/07/16 GB Submitted
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:07:47 »
can you post up a link here when that is approved? thanks

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 11:37:12 »
Yep, I'll update the status as usual

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 18:07:35 »
All I did was create a new post in the GB section last night. Did I have to contact a moderator or something along with that?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 20:49:34 »
All I did was create a new post in the GB section last night. Did I have to contact a moderator or something along with that?

that will help speed the process along. idk what the policy is, but i find that contacting a global mod is the most useful you should be able to find a list of them here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69449.0

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 06/07/16 GB LIVE
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 21:52:19 »
Thanks for the tip, Group Buy is now LIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Please use the GB thread for any further questions/comments/concerns