Author Topic: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert - UPDATE 06/07/16 GB LIVE!!  (Read 24889 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Octagon V2 Metal Insert Interest Check

136643-0

Background Info
This interest check was first alluded to in the Octagon V2 Group Buy. I didn't want to hijack elton's thread so here is a different thread, in the form of an interest check. This was initiated by duckness who is in Singapore, and due to the weight of this, it seemed more cost efficient to have it manufactured locally. I decided to take it upon myself to look for local CNC fab houses to make this for me. I did not create the file, this is a file direct from duck0113.

Octagon V2 Group Buy: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78549.800 - The Group Buy is currently closed, this is an offshoot project based on it.

Who Is This For
This is for people who have a Octagon V2 or who will be getting one, and want a little more weight. As mentioned previously, I'm getting this done locally, and therefore will also ship locally (CONUS) as a priority. Of course if I get enough of an interest check for people outside the US I'll try my best to make things work. Be prepared to spend more than us US folk though. I also live close to the Canadian border and make frequent trips up. Canada buyers will be in luck =).

Who Am I?
I've been an avid geekhack member located in the United States. This will actually be my first organized buy. I have a fair number of trades under my belt and haven't had anyone complain about my business practices. =). As I'm fairly new to this, I hope people will be patient with me and for those more experienced, please don't hesitate to give me pointers if you see me going towards a wrong direction.

Plans
I am currently in round 2 of the Octagon V2, so I don't actually have an Octagon yet. But soon!

I am currently in talks with a local CNC miller. I won't be opening an actual GB until I get my Octagon and that I can confirm that the initial runs actually do fit. Interest check below is to narrow down our choices.

I will be purchasing extra units for late stragglers, but that will come at a cost.

The old form has been closed, this is a new form to narrow down choices and final cost

http://goo.gl/forms/c59kAxdjSomYJfwo2

Estimated Costs/Time/Weight

Ballpark estimate for 40 of these plates seems to be around $35 each. If a significant number of blank plates are ordered, those will drop down to ballpark estimate of $30 each. As of 5/11/16 7 am, we have a little over 30 individuals interested. Your total price will be that + paypal fees + whatever shipping it takes to get to you. I'll order a few more for spares and selling to late stragglers for $$$$$$.

From everyone paying (End of GB) to units getting to me is an estimated 2-3 weeks. CONUS buyers will probably receive their package a week after that depending on how fast I can do this. Priority shipping of a medium flat rate box is $13 and will get to you 2-3 days. First class will be cheaper, slower, and will probably use that for most single orders. International buyers....I have no clue. Currently in talks with other members of the community regarding if I'm going to provide that service or not.  Canada buyers will probably be the next week after CONUS.

Estimated weight is that each of these plates will add roughly a pound/450g.

Prototype Pictures:
Prototype is cut from scrap aluminum so the finishing and quality is not what to expect. This was made for test fitting purposes, which is happening next Monday/Tuesday

138524-1138526-2
138528-3138530-4

139122-5139124-6

Weight: 4.5 oz/127.5 g

Payment

Payment will be handled via PayPal. Why? Because if I run off with all your money, you have 180 days to get it all back. Of course that means PayPal fees, but I think it will be worth it. An invoice will be sent out to participating Group Buy members.

If for some reason you are unable to pay, well, too bad. Just kidding. Send me a PM and we can work something out. Case by case basis of course.

Status Updates

06/07/16 - GB LIVE!! - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82662.0
06/07/16 - GB Submitted for Approval
06/06/16 - Kudos to Pemdas for driving up to Seattle. The weight fits and the screws sit flush!
05/31/16 - Prototype in, pictures up!
05/27/16 - Plate in the mail, a fellow PNWer will be bringing up his Octagon for test fitting, Final Cost discussions - please comment.
05/25/16 - Plate cut, I will receive it by end of week. I wish the same could be said about my Octagon - Any PNWers want to meet up for test fitting?
05/17/16 - Ordered a prototype plate, should be done sometime this week. Gotta find an Octagon for it though.
05/12/16 - My collaborator in Asia has decided not to do manufacturing. So any international orders will be made in the US as well
05/11/16 - Estimated costs and time added
05/09/16 - Interest Check Opened
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2016, 21:54:38 by merlin64 »

Offline E3E

Re: [IC] Octagon V2 metal plate insert
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 15:43:36 »
Along with Brass and Stainless Steel, perhaps you should consider Copper.

I hand cut a plate for my Orion v2 and it worked out very nicely! It's heavier than Brass and has a very nice appearance if you ask me.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:08:25 »
Doh, I'd love this but I didn't get the aluminum bottom  :confused:

If I ever am able to acquire a spare, then count me in :]

Question though: Would I need to mod the aluminum bottom to insert the plate?
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:14:57 »
E3E I would be very impressed, if you're able to hand cut Octagon V2 on it =)

Offline E3E

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:26:33 »
E3E I would be very impressed, if you're able to hand cut Octagon V2 on it =)

On an Orion V2? Fat chance! =P

No, but actually doing that would require one hell of a stencil and a very VERY steady hand. Actually, I think there are non-powered hand engraving tools that could do the job, but I would still need a stencil. I'd probably paint the stencil on first then carve the letters out. Obviously, it'd be one crazy act of dedication. I just wanted it for weight, really! :)

Hey, maybe you should open up the orders to Orion v2 users like us; I know a lot of us in the Orion v2 GB (some cross over between the two GBs as well!) would love to have weights for our boards.

It might help with MQO, no?  I would order one, especially if you could get them done in copper, haha.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:28:25 by E3E »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:29:26 »
If someone could provide me a design file, I'll see what I can do.

But I'm very unwilling to open a group buy unless I can test fit these things. I'm hoping that if it takes too long for Round 2 to get to me, I can find someone with an Octagon V2 locally.

Offline ika

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:34:20 »
Submitted!

How about a material selection for those who don't care and just want the cheapest? Both brass and STS are nice to me, I just want the extra weight.

Offline ika

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:35:31 »

But I'm very unwilling to open a group buy unless I can test fit these things. I'm hoping that if it takes too long for Round 2 to get to me, I can find someone with an Octagon V2 locally.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78549.msg2156475#msg2156475

Offline E3E

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 16:48:52 »

This is what I found on duck's site. Not sure if it'd help.

Yeah, seeing more materials would be cool. I'm still in for copper. It wasn't too expensive to buy myself a plate and do it myself. :thumb:

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 17:11:25 »
More materials? Sure why not, it's an interest check. Let's see what happens. My main concern is that to keep things simple, I'll probably pick the most popular one or two. If it gets too complicated, prices might be higher for everyone else. Plus this is my first GB and want to keep it straightforward so people will actually be at ease with handing me their money.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 17:14:17 by merlin64 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 17:44:27 »
More materials? Sure why not, it's an interest check. Let's see what happens. My main concern is that to keep things simple, I'll probably pick the most popular one or two. If it gets too complicated, prices might be higher for everyone else. Plus this is my first GB and want to keep it straightforward so people will actually be at ease with handing me their money.

That all seems very sound to me, merlin.  :thumb:

Offline billhicks

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 18:14:46 »
Copper inserts would be of the highest interest to anyone with a board as nice as an Octagon V2, save expensive metals. As the board ages, the copper will turn green as it oxidizes, which I think would be a nice aesthetic. Also, if possible, could you provide us with some different font options?

Cheers

Offline Jin

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 18:21:10 »
i will join this

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 18:35:53 »
Copper inserts would be of the highest interest to anyone with a board as nice as an Octagon V2, save expensive metals. As the board ages, the copper will turn green as it oxidizes, which I think would be a nice aesthetic. Also, if possible, could you provide us with some different font options?

Cheers

I'll add Copper to the list. Font Options aren't gonna be changeable unless I can get Duck to do it for me, or someone equally talented haha. The last time I did CAD work was a decade ago.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:17:38 »
Tentatively interested because locally a shop quoted me $200, lol.

All depends on shipping to AU.

Offline boo

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:27:53 »
submitted IC.  ;D

Offline tuco

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 20:51:41 »
I'm in group 2 and I'm in for this if it happens. Thanks!

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:17:51 »
For someone ignorant like myself, can you please enlighten me as to what the purpose of the brass plate is? Is it just to add more weight to an already heavy board?

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:43:01 »
For someone ignorant like myself, can you please enlighten me as to what the purpose of the brass plate is? Is it just to add more weight to an already heavy board?

Yes

Offline nguyenkimtam

• Shin
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 21:53:10 »
Hope that happen , i think use Octagon and Geekhack logo is great  :thumb:

Offline duckness

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:47:13 »
I'll just leave this here

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:51:22 »

:rolleyes:

Offline duckness

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 22:54:15 »

nope, the bottom comes with a slot for the weight itself.

Offline breitling

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 23:43:26 »
Interested in a copper or brass. Stoked for this!

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 23:46:22 »

nope, the bottom comes with a slot for the weight itself.

Awesome, thank you!

Offline ika

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 23:47:18 »
Will there be a concern about galvanic corrosion between copper and aluminum? Even with the anodizing, one scratch would expose a point where corrosion could occur. I highly disagree with the look of copper patina alongside anodized aluminum.

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 01:05:30 »
I'll just leave this here
Show Image

! I totally missed this. Where did you get this cut locally?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 03:44:49 »
I'll have to check if these fit the Orion V1 as well. That would be sick.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ł ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 06:01:19 »
Definitely interested in grabbing one of these. Not sure on preferred material type though.

I'd also be interested in getting an Orion v2 weight as well :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline billhicks

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 07:03:59 »
Will there be a concern about galvanic corrosion between copper and aluminum? Even with the anodizing, one scratch would expose a point where corrosion could occur. I highly disagree with the look of copper patina alongside anodized aluminum.

I'm not an expert on corrosion, but a cursory google search leads me to believe that there needs to be water or another ionic solution in contact with the two metals in order for efficient corrosion, which means our dry boards should be fine.

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 07:18:16 »

I really don't think they should though. S:

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 08:22:27 »

I would have no way of verifying if this fits on anything but an Octagon V2.

Offline E3E

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 09:22:53 »

Well, considering that the relief for your Orion v1 bottom and the one on mine seem identical, I think an Orion V2 weight should fit in both of them!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 09:50:12 »
Before people get too excited about Orion V1/V2 weights, I'm gonna state for the record that this will ONLY be for the Octagon V2 (If it fits for the Octagon V1 then yay!).

Depending on how well I run this, customer feedback from you guys, and me being able to test fit, I'll work on getting something for the Orion.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 09:51:31 »

Well, considering that the relief for your Orion v1 bottom and the one on mine seem identical, I think an Orion V2 weight should fit in both of them!

Show Image

I was thinking of having an acrylic "weight" lasercut to see if it fits. Just hadn't looked for the file yet.
And I forgot I made that picture. :))

|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline duckness

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 09:59:39 »
I was thinking of having an acrylic "weight" lasercut to see if it fits.

"Acrylic" and "weight" aren't 2 words that normally go together :P

Offline E3E

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:09:15 »
I was thinking of having an acrylic "weight" lasercut to see if it fits.

"Acrylic" and "weight" aren't 2 words that normally go together :P

For those that want the even more exotic weightless weights, let's go for carbon fiber!

I'm kidding. :P

A novelty plate made for the relief with something etched or engraved into it would be pretty cool, weight or not. :P

Before people get too excited about Orion V1/V2 weights, I'm gonna state for the record that this will ONLY be for the Octagon V2 (If it fits for the Octagon V1 then yay!).

Depending on how well I run this, customer feedback from you guys, and me being able to test fit, I'll work on getting something for the Orion.

I understand your priorities. No worries, Merlin. I hope all goes well for your plans here!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:19:57 »
Might as well just 3D print the "weight".

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 14:24:37 »
Can anyone explain to me the differences between having a brass/stainless steel/copper insert in terms of keyboard usefulness? I'm assuming that its not plated with that material and that it is fully 100% that material which would lead to different densities and weight, and also aesthetics right?

But if anyone has any insight on why one may be more preferred over the other I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 15:28:13 »
It's mainly for weight, but certain materials look better to certain people. =). I regret that I cannot offer depleted uranium as an option.

lbs/cubic inch

Aluminum: 0.0975
Brass: 0.308
Copper: 0.323
Iron: 0.284
Lead: 0.41
Stainless Steel: 0.2871
Platinum: 0.775
Depleted Uranium: 0.701

Offline ika

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 16:09:12 »
Unfortunate. I will accept platinum as a substitute.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 16:46:48 »

I'll see what I can do. For your reference a 10 oz platinum bar is roughly $15000.  :D

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 16:50:17 »

I'll see what I can do. For your reference a 10 oz platinum bar is roughly $15000.  :D

Where do I sign up?

In all seriousness though, submitted IC form. Thanks!

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 18:19:22 »
Lol make one out of solid gold

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Offline RichieRo

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 20:53:32 »
Submitted.  Totally in for copper or brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duckness

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 22:10:01 »
Can anyone explain to me the differences between having a brass/stainless steel/copper insert in terms of keyboard usefulness? I'm assuming that its not plated with that material and that it is fully 100% that material which would lead to different densities and weight, and also aesthetics right?

But if anyone has any insight on why one may be more preferred over the other I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Brass and copper are a bit heavier than stainless steel, but they corrode easier. Whereas stainless obviously does not corrode. Picking one over the other depends purely on personal preference only.

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 02:03:26 »

Brass and copper are a bit heavier than stainless steel, but they corrode easier. Whereas stainless obviously does not corrode. Picking one over the other depends purely on personal preference only.

Ah okay thanks. I guess you wouldn't be able to see it really within the case anyways, anyone know the stock weight of an octagon with full alu body? Not sure if I need something that hefty haha.

Offline Namkhanhv

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:54:38 »
Already submitted. Due to the high stability of stainless steel, I prefer using it than brass and copper but I still love the color of brass and copper. Anyway, what would be the price if the GB actually made it?  :) 

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 09:57:39 »
We now have an estimated cost and time. I have updated the original post to reflect this. Please remember these are estimated costs.

Offline ika

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:02:59 »
$30-35 each, with ~$8 shipping? That's not bad for a well-finished plate. Too bad the price break isn't that great for quantities like this.