Author Topic: Programmer, Colemak, Autohotkey, Ergodox, Arcade Cabinet  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Questengine

• Heroglyphix Nonogram Logic Puzzles
Programmer, Colemak, Autohotkey, Ergodox, Arcade Cabinet
« on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:46:57 »
Hey,
I'm a programmer, .NET and web stuff, for over 15 years.  I've been very happy with Colemak for the past 3 years and would recommend it to anyone. I use LOTS of Autohotkey (is there a special page/group here for autohotkey?  Seems like there should be).  I've got a MX Blue Ergodox on the way, in the mail, my first ever mech board.  I use MS Natural 4K and LOVE it, but I wanted to get onto some mechanical keys and TECK seems to have a spotty reputation, and I like Ergodox's openness, so I went with that.

I think if you ever have to look down from the screen to your keyboard you're doing it wrong, so I don't get the fuss over LED's and fancy keycaps, but I do appreciate a few extra nubs (besides just home row index fingers) so I can feel my way around.

I built an arcade cabinet a few years ago so I've done some wiring of buttons, joysticks and keyboard controllers and I'm in the process of building a hitbox for my pc and a Max Keyboard Falcon-8 style 8-key keypad out of an old credit card and some spare MX Blues.

So that sounds like a lot of bragging, but basically, I've learned a lot lurking here for a while and I wanted to join up and contribute.  Hey  everyone!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
Re: Programmer, Colemak, Autohotkey, Ergodox, Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 11:14:12 »
Welcome. That Falcon kit sure looks useful :)
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:35:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's lot of questions about autohotkey, plus these two threads:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=18052.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65730.0

The second thread was created more recently, but the first thread has by far the most posts, and the most recent posts too.

Nubs?  Do you prefer scoops, bars or nipples? :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Questengine

• Heroglyphix Nonogram Logic Puzzles
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 12:09:05 »
I've never used scoops, but bars and nipples (which are just really small bars right?) are fine. 
PRO TIP. I cut a tiny scrap of a rubber band, maybe 1 or 2 millimeters, and use a drop of white Elmer's glue to attach it to the key.  So I have extra nubs on the number row on keys 3 and 9, which has proven immensely helpful.

Of course this only works if you don't care what your keyboard looks like.  If you've got animating LEDs you probably don't want scraps and glue on your keys.  But if you want efficiency and extra tactile feedback, it very useful.