Author Topic: Modding Tablet or Mini Keyboard  (Read 1448 times)

Offline super_sock

Modding Tablet or Mini Keyboard
« on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 19:23:25 »
Basically, I have very small hands, haven't been able to find a suitable keyboard, and am now considering altering keyboards to suit my needs.

Is there a way to modify the USB charging connection of a tablet keyboard such that the typing will be registered (by a laptop) as if it were a USB keyboard? The keyboard is wired, but is intended to connect to tablets only.

Is there a way to change the keys of a prebuilt keyboard so that typing doesn't require as much activation force? I have a Solidtek ASK-3100 Super mini keyboard that is perfect except for the insane amount of force required to press the keys.

Thank you.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Modding Tablet or Mini Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 02:20:35 »
Welcome to GH :)

I think what you mean is the keyboard has a tiny USB plug on it and you'd like to plug it into a computer?  USB is USB, I would be very surprised if it didn't work with a cheap 'female micro to male A' adapter.  Some special media keys may not work but all the standard ones should.

Or maybe you want to use the tablet as a keyboard?  You can't modify a dedicated charging port if the data lines aren't connected, but there must be bluetooth keyboard apps you could use?  There are definitely wifi ones but that's just weird (they may work fine, I've never tried...)

The solidtech looks to be a chicklet board which means there are little rubber domes which create the resistance, you won't be able to change that.  If you got a Cherry (or clone) keyboard you could swap to some really light springs but then you'd have full size keys again.

This doesn't sound a nice problem to have :(
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Modding Tablet or Mini Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 04:36:43 »
You just need the right adapter (look up universal USB adapter) and possibly a gender changer, if it was me though, I would just desolder the cable and steal one off an old mouse.

There are also cheap bluetooth keyboards for tablets and phones that could work or maybe the Apple Keyboard.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion