Author Topic: Alps spring mods - any sources for replacement springs?  (Read 2315 times)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Alps spring mods - any sources for replacement springs?
« on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 08:40:50 »
I'm thinking of modding some Matias Quiet Click switches to a lighter weight. Why? These switches are easy to source and still being made new.

It should be simple enough to switch out the springs, but, where might I find some more? Does anyone here have a good source of lighter weight Alps replacement springs?

I can always break out the calipers and look through a bunch of catalogs if it comes to it but I'm hoping someone has a simple answer here...

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Re: Alps spring mods - any sources for replacement springs?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:04:44 »
emdude on DT was kind enough to tell me about:

Topic: [SPRiT] MX ALPS Spring/LSS Lube/Stabilizers/ Cherry RGB (ALL FREE SHIPPING *)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.0

Offline geniekid

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:19:30 »
I'm interested in your findings!  I theorize that with lighter springs, you could get Matias Quiet/Clicky switches to feel comparable to certain vintage switches.  Obviously the force curve is also affected by the slider/leaf mechanisms, but I believe the spring is the biggest factor.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:20:42 »
emdude on DT was kind enough to tell me about:

Topic: [SPRiT] MX ALPS Spring/LSS Lube/Stabilizers/ Cherry RGB (ALL FREE SHIPPING *)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55888.0

What timing! I was going to link the post from SPRiT.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 15:46:31 »
I'm interested in your findings!  I theorize that with lighter springs, you could get Matias Quiet/Clicky switches to feel comparable to certain vintage switches.  Obviously the force curve is also affected by the slider/leaf mechanisms, but I believe the spring is the biggest factor.

I think the switch plate is a pretty major factor as well, but yes, the spring is most of it. I'm hoping that HaaTa and his precise force-travel gauge can reveal more answers one day.