Author Topic: [GB] DSA LightCycle Full Set (CANCELLED)  (Read 36670 times)

Offline Norman_the_Owl

Re: [GB] DSA LightCycle Full Set
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 11:14:44 »
Order number 1419, 1 of each in alps.

I meant to order earlier, i just never got down to it

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 12:20:55 »
I won't be able to join by the end of the groupbuy, but I hope to be able to get in on the glorious ALPS leftovers...

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 14:47:25 »
Numbers update

Show Image

please can you post the numbers for today ? especially if alps reach moq ?
Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 14:48:18 »
Numbers update

Show Image

please can you post the numbers for today ? especially if alps reach moq ?
Alps is getting produced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pomk

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:06:29 »
Yay! I remembered this in time! I got one of everything, except for numpads, as I dont like those. ;)
This is probably the only international alps GB for a while, thank you for organizing this with us ISO retards in heart  :-*

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:33:04 »
Yay! I remembered this in time! I got one of everything, except for numpads, as I dont like those. ;)
This is probably the only international alps GB for a while, thank you for organizing this with us ISO retards in heart  :-*
You are welcome! Thanks for your support :)

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 16:00:26 »

yeah, great to hear.

Order #1431, full alps/matias

Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 16:00:53 »

yeah, great to hear.

Order #1431, full alps/matias
Thank you!!

Offline mushman

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 19:48:02 »
Is the GB over tonight or tomorrow night?

Also the webpage for the "Extras" pack states "Various layout support (1800, ergo dox, MiniVan, JD40, JD45, minorca, sebright, Tada68, HHKB, etc)"

Specifically for the HHKB I see a small shift but no Control key where the left capslock is.  Is that right?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 20:28:45 »
Is the GB over tonight or tomorrow night?

Also the webpage for the "Extras" pack states "Various layout support (1800, ergo dox, MiniVan, JD40, JD45, minorca, sebright, Tada68, HHKB, etc)"

Specifically for the HHKB I see a small shift but no Control key where the left capslock is.  Is that right?
That is correct. You would have to use the caps keycap. Orders will close tomorrow night

Offline MickeyAsh

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 20:44:07 »
Hi, this will be my first keycap GB (building an Ergodox.) Can you let me know which sets I need to order to have my ergo covered? I'm thinking I'll need the base and the compatibility? Thanks in advance! Love this set.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 11:57:56 »
Hi, this will be my first keycap GB (building an Ergodox.) Can you let me know which sets I need to order to have my ergo covered? I'm thinking I'll need the base and the compatibility? Thanks in advance! Love this set.

yes base plus compat... you might need the numpad as well. be sure to count the number of 2 unit keys you need. I originally had the set as one large set and I don't remember if there are enough 2u keys across base + compat.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 11:58:24 »
numbers update.

today is the last day to get in. PLACE YOUR FINAL ORDERS!

Offline MickeyAsh

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 12:25:02 »
yes base plus compat... you might need the numpad as well. be sure to count the number of 2 unit keys you need. I originally had the set as one large set and I don't remember if there are enough 2u keys across base + compat.

Got it. I edited it on KLE and it looks like base+compat will cover it. Order placed! Thanks!

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:08:14 »
numbers update.

Show Image

I know you've said that you'll buy out the rest to meet moq but it really excites me to see the Alps base nearly there!
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:20:41 »
I realize this is a little late to be bringing this up but, I just read thru the entire IC and GB threads, and it was never really specified *how* the stabs are going to work on Alps. Did SP find a way to do rectangular-mount Alps stabs on DSA keys? Last I heard the stab mounts were always cherry style cruciform. Like this:http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-2-space-pack-of-4/
Will the Matias hook set be included with the Alps orders?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:25:46 »
I realize this is a little late to be bringing this up but, I just read thru the entire IC and GB threads, and it was never really specified *how* the stabs are going to work on Alps. Did SP find a way to do rectangular-mount Alps stabs on DSA keys? Last I heard the stab mounts were always cherry style cruciform. Like this:http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-2-space-pack-of-4/

the stabs match the linked cap. no stabs are included with the set.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:26:16 »
numbers update.

Show Image

I know you've said that you'll buy out the rest to meet moq but it really excites me to see the Alps base nearly there!

the base set has gone over 100 since I posted those number :D

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:28:04 »

So no cruciform mounts anywhere on the Alps keys? Neat!

Offline zslane

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:50:48 »

Shouldn't be a problem for me, anyway. I simply plan to use the stab inserts that came with my KBP V60 mini.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 16:45:42 »

Shouldn't be a problem for me, anyway. I simply plan to use the stab inserts that came with my KBP V60 mini.

The stab inserts on the V60MTS are alps-style and not cherry-style cruciforms. SP's Alps mount keycaps also have the stab mounts closer to the center compared to the stock keycaps on the V60MTS. All the wires work fine except the right shift. I had to bend my wire haphazardly until it worked.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 17:02:25 »

The stab inserts on the V60MTS are alps-style and not cherry-style cruciforms. SP's Alps mount keycaps also have the stab mounts closer to the center compared to the stock keycaps on the V60MTS. All the wires work fine except the right shift. I had to bend my wire haphazardly until it worked.

good to know. thanks for confirming this

Offline zslane

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 17:50:45 »

Wait, so you're saying that I am going to have to bend the right shift stabilizer wire just to make the LightCycle keycap fit?

Offline eksuen

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 18:06:19 »

Wait, so you're saying that I am going to have to bend the right shift stabilizer wire just to make the LightCycle keycap fit?

Or find a wire that fits, yes. The DSA Alps keys are apparently the same as the DCS Alps keys with regards to stab mount type and placement.

Offline nateth

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:37:12 »
Bam. I'm in for an Alps set.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:37:39 »
Bam. I'm in for an Alps set.
Thank you!

Offline eksuen

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 01:29:51 »

Just double checked my board.
Correction: the stab inserts are Alps-style except the spacebar, which is MX-style.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 01:34:42 »

Correction: the stab inserts are Alps-style except the spacebar, which is MX-style.
Gotta love inconsistency

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 11:59:20 »
Final Numbers

MX
Base - 330
Numpad - 164
Compat - 133

Alps
Base - 105
Numpad - 46
Compat - 60

I have placed the order with SP and will hopefully be received the invoice soon. There is a special bonus that I will just leave as a surprise for when people start receiving their sets :D

Offline Norman_the_Owl

Re: [GB] DSA LightCycle Full Set (Ordering closed, placing order with SP)
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:00:00 »
How exciting. Do we get a hint?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:10:37 »
I have placed the order with SP and will hopefully be received the invoice soon. There is a special bonus that I will just leave as a surprise for when people start receiving their sets :D

Oooo. I'll be sure not to be around much then once the sets start going out - else the surprise will be getting spoiled by the pesky US buyers before my order arrives!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:28:24 »

This is going to suck some big ass if I can't get these on my V60. Not only does it only match up with 1 mounting hole on most standard 60% cases, but now I'm discovering that I just spend $100 on keycaps I can't use?  Dear lord, say it isn't so.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:31:42 »

How can a bent stabilizer wire ever feel right?  Does it feel all janky?

P.S.  Anyone know how to go about making a stabilizer wire? What gauge the wires are and such?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:58:46 by reececonrad »

Offline eksuen

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 15:35:13 »
More

This is going to suck some big ass if I can't get these on my V60. Not only does it only match up with 1 mounting hole on most standard 60% cases, but now I'm discovering that I just spend $100 on keycaps I can't use?  Dear lord, say it isn't so.

You can still use the keycaps. They just won't have 100% compatibility right out of the gate. You will need to do two things: 1) acquire MX-style stab inserts and 2) modify your existing right shift stab wire or get a new one.

More

How can a bent stabilizer wire ever feel right?  Does it feel all janky?

Mine was a tight fit at first right after modifying the wire, but I filed down the stab holder that fits into the plate to allow for more clearance and it doesn't feel all that different from my unmodified left shift now. YMMV depending on how you modify your wire I suppose. I also use the left shift almost exclusively, so this isn't an issue for me.

Offline zslane

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 15:38:47 »
I also use the left shift almost exclusively, so this isn't an issue for me.

Same here.

As such, I would probably just elect to remove the stabilizer wire all together. If I ever felt the temptation to use the right shift key, I would just do my best to aim for its center with my pinky.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 02:49:56 »

P.S.  Anyone know how to go about making a stabilizer wire? What gauge the wires are and such?

Plan A: bend a paperclip
Plan B: buy it ready made from Matias (the set includes the plastic inserts you need for the other keys, so this should probably be option A for folks that don't already have those)
Plan C: buy the right gauge of wire and a wire-bender tool and make it yourself, but properly. The wire gauge is common knowledge but I always forget it. I remember that it can be found in the wiki at r/mk tho.

All the wires work fine except the right shift. I had to bend my wire haphazardly until it worked.

Huh.
I'm *still* faffing about trying to get my Badwrench DCS mods installed on my V80MTS, but I *am* lazy (and easily distracted by Zealios and GMK.)
But anyway, I didn't realize the other three wires would fit. I always started with the RShift because it was the biggest and in my mind should therefore be the easiest. I hadn't even tried the original wires from the V80MTS with the SP caps because I just assumed I would need to bend them, and I don't want to bend them.

Offline mushman

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 07:44:54 »
Just put the 1U Shift key there.  Problem solved.  :))

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 10:59:23 »
Just put the 1U Shift key there.  Problem solved.  :))

Or 1.75u
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 13:23:30 »

Plan B: buy it ready made from Matias (the set includes the plastic inserts you need for the other keys, so this should probably be option A for folks that don't already have those)
Plan C: buy the right gauge of wire and a wire-bender tool and make it yourself, but properly. The wire gauge is common knowledge but I always forget it. I remember that it can be found in the wiki at r/mk tho.

Aha!  Didn't realize they sold them.  Is this what I would need: https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set  I guess $10 $15 isn't a deal-breaker by any means.

P.S.  Shipping was $5 for 5-8 day shipping. WTH?  $5 for a padded envelope going standard mail?
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2016, 13:32:03 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 13:26:39 »
I also use the left shift almost exclusively, so this isn't an issue for me.

Same here.

As such, I would probably just elect to remove the stabilizer wire all together. If I ever felt the temptation to use the right shift key, I would just do my best to aim for its center with my pinky.

Insanity!   :mad:  I guess I just learned to use the shift opposite of which ever hand was typing the letter.  I would say I use them both equally.  But I'm glad to know I can order a stabilizer set from Matias.  This news just made my day.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 13:51:32 »

Aha!  Didn't realize they sold them.  Is this what I would need: https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set  I guess $10 $15 isn't a deal-breaker by any means.

P.S.  Shipping was $5 for 5-8 day shipping. WTH?  $5 for a padded envelope going standard mail?

That will get the wire. I cannot confirm whether or not it works as I just bent my existing wire. You will still need to get MX-style cruciform stab inserts though since that's what SP's Alps mount caps use. WASDkeyboards sells them: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 14:04:36 »

That will get the wire. I cannot confirm whether or not it works as I just bent my existing wire. You will still need to get MX-style cruciform stab inserts though since that's what SP's Alps mount caps use. WASDkeyboards sells them: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

It looks like the set comes with 4 cherry inserts, right?   From the description:

Top Hooks (for connecting to the underside of the keycap - 2 top hooks are needed per large keycap):

Minimum 14pcs (usually around 18pcs) Alps style (gray)
Minimum 4pcs (usually around 5pcs) Cherry style (white)

Offline zslane

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 14:10:10 »
I don't see how buying a stabilizer wire from Matias helps here.The problem here is that the stock 2.75u stabilizer wire of the KBP V60 mini is the wrong width to fit the post spacing of SP keycaps, right? The stab wire in the KBP is already a Matias wire (after all, the KBP has Matias switches in it). How does buying another one help?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 14:25:55 »
I don't see how buying a stabilizer wire from Matias helps here.The problem here is that the stock 2.75u stabilizer wire of the KBP V60 mini is the wrong width to fit the post spacing of SP keycaps, right? The stab wire in the KBP is already a Matias wire (after all, the KBP has Matias switches in it). How does buying another one help?

I see what you're saying, unless the KBP has some proprietary wire (surely not the case), I don't know that this is going to help.  Maybe we'll be able to mod an MX wire on it somehow?  I guess we won't know until we get the caps and get to the dirty work.

I went ahead and bought the pack so that I could have a wire and inserts in case I needed them.  I don't have any extra on hand.  I guess worst case scenario is that I can bend up the extra one as my practice wire and perfect it on the second attempt.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 15:05:07 »

I see what you're saying, unless the KBP has some proprietary wire (surely not the case), I don't know that this is going to help.  Maybe we'll be able to mod an MX wire on it somehow?  I guess we won't know until we get the caps and get to the dirty work.

I went ahead and bought the pack so that I could have a wire and inserts in case I needed them.  I don't have any extra on hand.  I guess worst case scenario is that I can bend up the extra one as my practice wire and perfect it on the second attempt.

Sorry chaps, I was under the impression that the Matias kit came with both the standard Alps wires and the hybrid Alps/Cherry ones. On closer inspection it looks like I was wrong about that. At least you can get a second set of Alps-style wires so you can bend them without messing up your originals. But that still doesn't help with the 2.75 shift.

Gentlemen, choose your weapons: paperclips & pliers, or music wire & a Du-Bro. 

Offline eksuen

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 15:27:55 »
You'll need 8 cherry stab inserts since the spacebar on the V60MTS already uses cherry inserts. For the wire, it's not really a width issue, strictly speaking. The issue is that the wire isn't long enough such that the ends that are bent towards the switch don't extend far enough inward to hold the stab inserts.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 15:37:13 »
Gentlemen, choose your weapons: paperclips & pliers, or music wire & a Du-Bro. 

-Sup man?

-Oh not much.  Bending some small wire.

-DUDE.  YOU'VE GOTTA SEE THIS VIDEO I SAW ON GEEKHACK TODAY

Offline Shadowkiller

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 16:12:36 »
You'll need 8 cherry stab inserts since the spacebar on the V60MTS already uses cherry inserts. For the wire, it's not really a width issue, strictly speaking. The issue is that the wire isn't long enough such that the ends that are bent towards the switch don't extend far enough inward to hold the stab inserts.

So for the remaining stabilizer wires, not including the 2.75, they will fit fine with the cherry mx insert keys? I thought that since the alps stab wires are decently bigger than the mx ones, and the alps insert is a bit more forward than where the cherry mx inserts are located on the keycpas you would have to mcguyver something with all the wires in order to get compatibility.
I don't have a KBP60 nor a mx insert key (save my spacebar but I don't have a full length spacebar on my keyboard so I can't test), since mine is a custom which is why I'm asking.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 17:11:01 »

So for the remaining stabilizer wires, not including the 2.75, they will fit fine with the cherry mx insert keys? I thought that since the alps stab wires are decently bigger than the mx ones, and the alps insert is a bit more forward than where the cherry mx inserts are located on the keycpas you would have to mcguyver something with all the wires in order to get compatibility.
I don't have a KBP60 nor a mx insert key (save my spacebar but I don't have a full length spacebar on my keyboard so I can't test), since mine is a custom which is why I'm asking.

Yes, they all fit fine. On my V60MTS, which this response was typed with, I used all the stock wires with the Cherry inserts from WASD without any issue, barring the 2.75u right shift, of course. The Cherry inserts may have a loose fit in the keycap stab mounts, but that's an easy fix with some Scotch tape or Saran wrap.

Offline Shadowkiller

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 17:27:30 »

Yes, they all fit fine. On my V60MTS, which this response was typed with, I used all the stock wires with the Cherry inserts from WASD without any issue, barring the 2.75u right shift, of course. The Cherry inserts may have a loose fit in the keycap stab mounts, but that's an easy fix with some Scotch tape or Saran wrap.

Then I guess I lucked out with my custom then. The spacing of the stabs on my 2.75 key is the same as all my 2 spaced keys, so I can just swap it for a 2 spaced wire and it would fit fine. So in theory I won't have to worry about modding; we'll see when the time comes though haha.