Author Topic: Dactyl-ManuForm keyboard build  (Read 88833 times)

Offline ufoDziner

Re: Dactyl-ManuForm keyboard build
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 19:33:34 »
Hi @Loligagger,
  Thanks for creating the modded files that you have, as they seem to be the most progressive of the bunch.  I just created some models using your dactyl.clj file, and am having a bit of an issue though.  It seems that changing the thumbs to mini, and/or not using 1.5u spacing for the outer column causes the mounting posts to detach from the case and just sit outside.  Could you please have a look and see if it can be corrected easily?  Also, the base plates appear to have no center.  Is that by design?  I assumed that they'd be closed.  Thanks!

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:07:29 »
The screw posts still need to be moved manually. Perhaps at some point I'll make it so they stay in perfect positions for whatever layout you pick but that's low priority for me tbh. As for the bottom plate that's how it is in the original fork as well. You'd use that to export as a .dxf then throw it in whatever 3D software you like to make a plate out of.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:44:27 »
Thanks for the prompt reply!  Would you mind giving me just a bit of guidance as to where the posts are in the code so I can try and move them?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:54:37 »
It's right near the bottom, where you see "defn screw-insert-all-shapes". You'll see the 5 lines for the screw posts and their [x, y, z] offset values.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 21:09:58 »
Awesome.  Thanks a ton!

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:00:56 »
@Loligagger - I'm finishing up my build using your files... Thanks!  Quick question.  I'm using the Elite-C boards, so I printed 2 of your Elite-C controller holders.  The Elite-C and TRRS slots seem to be perfect, as does the fit of the controller holder in the right keyboard half.  The left side is another story though.  It doesn't appear to have the guide slots for the controller holder to slide into.  Is there some other part that I'm supposed to print for the left half?  Thanks again.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:46:29 »
The left half parts should just be a mirror of the right half.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:30:16 »
Okay.  I used the generated files for left and right.  It appears that it's not an exact mirror, as those grooves are missing.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 22:50:52 »
Finished it!!!  Super pleased, just need to work on my typing skills now!!!

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:49:37 »
Would you mind sharing the step file for your Elite-C holder?  I'd like to mess with it a bit.  Thanks!

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 00:01:59 »
Sure, might as well share .step files for both versions of the holder.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 21:13:40 »
Thanks a ton!!  I just finished some floating wrist rests for it.  So far they feel really good.  Allows me to reach without having to lift, etc...

https://imgur.com/ohrozoZ

https://imgur.com/MWC0ghs

Offline anorak

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 09:03:02 »
I finished my build. It is a dactyl manuform for the left hand only, with modifications for being used as a gaming pad.
Because it is for gaming, it has some RGB backlight for the keys  ;D

With backlight on

Soldering was some sort of a special hell

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 11:20:54 »
That is some amazing piece of work. The Amoeba PCBs are a good idea for doing the backlight. I have been looking for a workable approach to use SMD LEDs and haven't found any documentation by others doing that with a Manuform.

Offline MutenMaster

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:28:03 »
So, i was far from this for a couple of reasons.

now i'm back and I would like to print a dactyl-manuform-ergodox. I've already printed one but i've found that keys in the cluster are not properly spaced (this is what someone told me in this thread or another one, i don't remember)

So, which STL should I print that works properly ?

Offline shiftux

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:33:21 »
Hello

New here. Starting a dactyl-manuform build.
Thanks for all the great work and the rich information here! - Special thanks to @Tshort!

My goal would be to modify the standard build a bit, adding media buttons and a rotary encoder. The STL files look fine so far, everything is in place. However I have a question concerning the QMK firmware. The photos of the wiring in the https://github.com/abstracthat/dactyl-manuform pictures show a 5x6 build but it actually has 6x6 (6 colored cables and 6 white cables) which is confusing me... Then if I look at the code to build a hex file I see a matrix that looks like 8x6 per side...?

code from default 5x6 keymap (https://github.com/tshort/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/dactyl-manuform/keymaps/5x6-default/keymap.c) looks smt like: 

Code: [Select]

// left hand
   KC_ESC,    KC_1,    KC_2,    KC_3,   KC_4,   KC_5,
   KC_TAB,    KC_Q,    KC_W,    KC_E,   KC_R,   KC_T,
   KC_LCTL,   KC_A,    KC_S,    KC_D,   KC_F,   KC_G,
   KC_LSFT,   KC_Y,    KC_X,    KC_C,   KC_V,   KC_B,
                       KC_NUBS,  KC_EQL,
                               KC_LALT, KC_LGUI,
                               KC_UP,   MO(1),
                               KC_DOWN, KC_HOME,

so I can't really figure out how the 8 lines and 6 columns then are being interpreted and should be wired up to match the final desired keymap...

Thanks for the help!

Offline MutenMaster

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:07:00 »

now i'm back and I would like to print a dactyl-manuform-ergodox. I've already printed one but i've found that keys in the cluster are not properly spaced (this is what someone told me in this thread or another one, i don't remember)

no one ?

Offline shiftux

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 07:48:29 »
RE my previous question, I found the answer for anyone interested.
while the keyboard layout is considered a 5x6 keyboard. the wiring matrix is actually a 6x6 matrix (with 4 empty slots)
the code here https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/handwired/dactyl_manuform/5x6/5x6.h illustrates that. note the upper part corresponds to the keyboard and the lower part corresponds to the wiring matrix.

hope this helps someone else

Offline shiftux

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 14:03:45 »
I'm struggling getting the slave half to work...
i flashed QMK (default 5x6) and plugged in the left side (master) which is working fine (QWERT), connecting the TRS for the slave works and the slave is powered (led on the pro micro) but keys are not responding.
if i plug the right side it starts acting as master (QWERT keys) as expected and the left side (now slave) is in turn not responding...
checked the connection and the signal cable is on PD0 (default) on both MCUs and checking it with my voltmeter gives the connection beep as it should...

has this happened to someone else here?
any ideas of how to debug?

Offline shiftux

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 10:21:39 »

Offline MutenMaster

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 04:09:52 »

So ? Which stl/openscad should I use for the latest and fixed version ?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 23:13:46 »
Recently made some fixes and changes to the model (added to my fork here) so I may as well share them.

I noticed that the top row keycap (when using 5 rows) for the ring finger column would sometimes collide with the case near bottom out, so I widened the switch plate slightly to accommodate for that. Old design on the left and new one on the right.

255811-0

Also wanted to thicken the 'switch plate' to 4.5mm to lessen the gap between the bottom of the case and amoebas or any other PCB. That way the PCB should hold the switch tightly in place even if the switch plate itself doesn't have a super tight hold. Increased the web connector thickness between the individual switch plates too so you don't get those squares sticking out making the bottom uneven. As a side effect of the method I used to do this some of the walls are slightly thicker.

255809-1