Author Topic: Anyone interested in an 1800 pcb?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline gnmar2723

Anyone interested in an 1800 pcb?
« on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:56:26 »
UPDATE:

I've been thinking about this a little more now, and I've come up with a few things so far:
Layout support so far
Indicator leds will be both in switch and in normal spot between F12 and Nav. Cluster
Not sure what mcu to use yet, but I want to do this with qmk.
PCB will be bare, through hole diodes/resistors. Everything will hook up to an mcu much like a handwire build.

I snagged a couple of g81-1800's nib from ebay and I want to convert them to mx boards of course. I've gotten into pcb design on easyeda.com (simple stuff like ortholinear designs and all that) but I want to make my own 1800 pcb that will fit in the og case.

I'd just like to know if anyone else is interested in a pcb like this and we can work out design/features. If anyone has some dimensions of the leku pcb or the spacing for mounting holes in the 1800 case, I'd appreciate those measurements too.

Lemme know what ya think!
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 May 2017, 10:20:48 by gnmar2723 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Anyone interested in an 1800 pcb?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 01:18:00 »
Why not just buy a leeku pcb? If you're interested in designing pcbs I'd say design your own new layout.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 01:36:28 »
My contention is for cheap and easy. Leeku pcbs aren't super common, and I'd be willing to bet they aren't cheap when they do come around.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 01:59:56 »
I think the GB price was $70 for a pcb and plate, I guess it depends on where you have everything manufactured but I don't know if you'll be able to beat that price.

If you decide to make your own you should be able to get the measurements you're after from the boards themselves.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 02:02:45 »
I'd just like to know if anyone else is interested in a pcb like this and we can work out design/features.
What have you planned so far?

If anyone has some dimensions of the leku pcb or the spacing for mounting holes in the 1800 case, I'd appreciate those measurements too.
I have a 1800 PCB and I think I can do that.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 09:31:10 »
My tastes are really simple. No underglow and no backlighting.

-ANSI/ISO layout support (split backspace, 1u bottom row, and stepped caps and other basic layout things like that)
-Indicator lights (in switch and normal spot)
-Programmed with qmk

With this run, I'm not expecting to make more than 5-10 so I'm not going to do smd components. Through hole diodes and like a teensy 3.0 (or whatever 32u4 controller that has enough pins)

I can work on making some measurements myself, I just don't know if there are different cases/mounting spots than what I have.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 May 2017, 09:34:06 by gnmar2723 »