Author Topic: [IC] Holtite sockets  (Read 3600 times)

Offline ChitownM2

[IC] Holtite sockets
« on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 20:55:55 »
Is anyone interested in taking this over? It seems fairly straight forward, but I just don't have the time.

Based on the pricing we were going to get I'm assuming these were going to be purchased from digikey

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-8P2/A114358-ND/2188091

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-5P2/A107431-ND/2135765
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 May 2017, 22:00:46 by Photoelectric »

Offline cynviloq

Re: Re: Holtite sockets (2017.03.21: Closed)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 00:35:52 »
Is anyone interested in taking this over? It seems fairly straight forward, but I just don't have the time.

Based on the pricing we were going to get I'm assuming these were going to be purchased from digikey

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-8P2/A114358-ND/2188091

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-5P2/A107431-ND/2135765

I could take it over (I expressed interest in helping jal during the IC phase), however given the length of time that has passed, I'm not sure the current pricing could be guaranteed (based on demand and supply, TTI only has ~14K switch sockets left with 7 week lead time for anything above).

I'm wrapping up another group buy, but could run the invoices through the end of the month, place the order on May 1st and likely have all orders shipped out by May 12th (so ~1 month from today) since my other Group Buy should be all shipped out by May 1st.

If there remains sufficient demand and no word from jal over the next few days, then I wouldn't mind proceeding as long as everyone understands that pricing may be different. I would also like to entertain the thought of bringing Tin-Lead finish back into the mix. Though the pricing may come down 1 to 2 pennies per socket for a higher tier of gold, Tin-Lead is much more cost effective with substantial savings over gold at any tier.

One thing to note is that Digi-Key does not offer pre-packaging as jal indicated TTI would, but TTI also has a limited stock now (~14k switch sockets) which may be unfeasible if the previous interest carries over.

I hate to run an interest check within a GB thread, but given the lack of communication and hopes that this GB would move forward, I would like to take this over - if anyone opposes to this, I'm happy to delete my post and the IC/GB form I intend to post here shortly.

If there is sufficient interest, I will create a new Group Buy thread superseding this one.

edit:
NEW INTEREST CHECK / GROUP BUY FORM BELOW
https://goo.gl/forms/B1BRllVB2jpQ2r4J3
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2017, 01:19:27 by cynviloq »

Offline Tally810

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 00:58:55 »

I could take it over (I expressed interest in helping jal during the IC phase), however given the length of time that has passed, I'm not sure the current pricing could be guaranteed (based on demand and supply, TTI only has ~14K switch sockets left with 7 week lead time for anything above).

I'm wrapping up another group buy, but could run the invoices through the end of the month, place the order on May 1st and likely have all orders shipped out by May 12th (so ~1 month from today) since my other Group Buy should be all shipped out by May 1st.

If there remains sufficient demand and no word from jal over the next few days, then I wouldn't mind proceeding as long as everyone understands that pricing may be different. I would also like to entertain the thought of bringing Tin-Lead finish back into the mix. Though the pricing may come down 1 to 2 pennies per socket for a higher tier of gold, Tin-Lead is much more cost effective with substantial savings over gold at any tier.

One thing to note is that Digi-Key does not offer pre-packaging as jal indicated TTI would, but TTI also has a limited stock now (~14k switch sockets) which may be unfeasible if the previous interest carries over.

I hate to run an interest check within a GB thread, but given the lack of communication and hopes that this GB would move forward, I would like to take this over - if anyone opposes to this, I'm happy to delete my post and the IC/GB form I intend to post here shortly.

If there is sufficient interest, I will create a new Group Buy thread superseding this one.
Let's do it dude.  Where are you located if you don't mind me askin

Edit: nvm I see now.  Tapatalk wouldn't load it at first.  I'm down to get this thing moving though.  Don't care about the switch holtites but some led holtites sound pretty good

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2017, 01:05:05 by Tally810 »

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 01:01:30 »

Yes please take over this GB and create a new one! you should send out some pms for those who are still interested in holtites GB

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 01:18:31 »

Yes please take over this GB and create a new one! you should send out some pms for those who are still interested in holtites GB

Thanks - at least there is interest from three people at the minimum..!

jal - if you see this and are still running the GB, please message me and I'm happy to delete this post / form.

NEW INTEREST CHECK / GROUP BUY FORM BELOW
https://goo.gl/forms/B1BRllVB2jpQ2r4J3

Remember, 2 sockets needed per switch and 2 sockets needed per LED. Please note that the pricing listed in the form is ONLY if we come near the indicated levels in the OP.

Estimated timeline if run by me:
- Carry over to a new GB thread on April 13/14
- Determine pricing / e-mail vendors (Digi-Key, TTI) to see if pre-packaging is still available (I really do not want to be counting ~10K sockets..)
- First batch of invoices going out April 21st
- Last batch of invoices going out April 28th
- Deadline of April 30th for invoice payment
- Order placed with supplier on May 1st
- Shipment received by May 9th
- All orders shipped out by May 15th

Offline gt1989

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 06:15:51 »
Just submitted my order, also I think this was posted on Reddit so you may want to make a post there to get more people to join.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 08:23:40 »
Just submitted my order, also I think this was posted on Reddit so you may want to make a post there to get more people to join.

I wanted to give a few days to also allow jal to respond in case he wants to pick this back up. I think once we move it to a new GB thread in a few days, then will also xpost to reddit.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 09:20:22 »
ok. i've jumped ship with cynviloq, bc it appears the old ship has run aground.  are these the same holtites that were being offered before?  another words does the previous compatible chart apply?
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 09:48:10 »
ok. i've jumped ship with cynviloq, bc it appears the old ship has run aground.  are these the same holtites that were being offered before?  another words does the previous compatible chart apply?

It will be the exact same Holtites and the same compatibility table will apply!

Gold
8134-HC-8P2 (Switches)
8134-HC-5P2 (LED)

Tin-Lead
8134-HC-8P3 (Switches)
8134-HC-5P3 (LED)

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 13:49:23 »
I'm fully behind starting a new GB. No need to wait at this point as we are going to have to open it back up again to get everyone's order, contact info, etc. and that will take time. 

Even if this jal comes back today and tries to resurrect this, enough people have probably lost confidence / interest that we won't get the same pricing which jeopardizes the entire GB anyway.

You might have already checked on this, but it would be nice to know if digikey will provide packaging in for these at multiple levels. My presumption is that they weren't willing to do small enough packages previously, but that may not be true. It looks like the other vendor was willing to do packages of 100, but since they have limited inventory it may be worthwhile to purchase in multiples of 200 or 250, etc if it means that digikey can fulfill the order immediately as they have substantially more stock.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2017, 13:57:50 by ChitownM2 »

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 14:01:07 »
Can anyone comment on how easy it is to remove the holtite sockets?

My main motivation for wanting gold ones is the corrosion resistance. If we end up going with tin ones and they start to rust in 2 years (KB stored in basement, etc), how easily can i get them out? I may be more willing to go with tin if I know I can easily remedy a problem down the line, but by the look of them it appears that once they are seated they really aren't intended to be removed.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 14:06:10 »
I'm fully behind starting a new GB. No need to wait at this point as we are going to have to open it back up again to get everyone's order, contact info, etc. and that will take time. 

Even if this jal comes back today and tries to resurrect this, enough people have probably lost confidence / interest that we won't get the same pricing which jeopardizes the entire GB anyway.

You might have already checked on this, but it would be nice to know if digikey will provide packaging in for these at multiple levels. My presumption is that they weren't willing to do small enough packages previously, but that may not be true. It looks like the other vendor was willing to do packages of 100, but since they have limited inventory it may be worthwhile to purchase in multiples of 200 or 250, etc if it means that digikey can fulfill the order immediately as they have substantially more stock.

Agreed - I'll write it up later tonight and submit for moderator review (may require a day or two for them to look at the situation and approve the same GB).

We're currently at 3100 switch / 2500 LED which doesn't bode well for pricing, but it also has only been ~12 hours. DigiKey only offers bulk packaging - I'm going to reach out to TTI once we have a better understanding of numbers to see if they will still offer the packaged amount.

With respect to corrosion resistance - both sockets are comprised of beryllium copper, the gold and tin-lead are purely a layered flash finish. I do not think there will be a difference in corrosion resistance to be honest. Removal will depend on the PCB fit and the method of installation (i.e. just pressure fitting would be easier to pop out, soldering would be semi-permanent, and using a soldering iron on a tighter fitting PCB would likely require extra pressure to remove or also heated removal).

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 13:40:27 »
Non-update: I have not heard back from the Mod I messaged

Question: TTI seems to have had a large order recently, so there is a lack of supply from the only vendor willing to pre-pack. Digi-Key and Mouser do not offer pre packaging.

Thoughts on how to proceed? It would take hours to separate out bulk packaging... I don't mind doing it but it would be hard to convince myself to spend 20+ hours for free counting sockets for the GB. Would we mind adding a couple pennies per socket to the final price?

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:19:17 »

Question: TTI seems to have had a large order recently, so there is a lack of supply from the only vendor willing to pre-pack. Digi-Key and Mouser do not offer pre packaging.

Thoughts on how to proceed? It would take hours to separate out bulk packaging... I don't mind doing it but it would be hard to convince myself to spend 20+ hours for free counting sockets for the GB. Would we mind adding a couple pennies per socket to the final price?

Depends how much more $, if you add couple more pennies to each holtites then the total price will come out to be almost the same price on your web site...Just saying!

P/S The best for right now is you can add couple more dollars to the other that have large amount of holtites that takes you long time to count, for example order of 500led and 500switch holtites. While order with small amount of holtites will stay the same price.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:28:58 by BlackInk »

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:23:50 »

If you have to count them I think it defeats the purpose for the group buy, it's simply too tedious.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:28:40 »

Yea if they aren't prepackaged I'd say don't bother with that tedious stuff.  Just plug ur website (which has pretty good pricing already) for people to buy them now.  Then later on when TTI gets stock do the gb.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 13:44:09 »
Is this still happening?

Offline Dvoraknolegends

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 14:25:46 »
Is this still happening?
I think not, it would end up costing as much as at Mehkee

Offline calavera

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 03:58:23 »
anyone buy from mehkee before? I really want some asap and nobody really seems to sell them atm.

Offline richard912

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 04:00:40 »
anyone buy from mehkee before? I really want some asap and nobody really seems to sell them atm.
Try http://winkeyless.kr/product/holtite/

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 08:12:16 »

I've purchased from mehkee previously. Smooth transaction and fast cheap shipping.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 02:41:15 »
Yes! He's such a friendly guy, very responsive and his prices for intl. shipping are also very satisfying. He even sponsered quite a few stuff go giveaway for our last meetup.

Offline child

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 03:45:07 »
I also just bought from mehkee when this GB collapsed - fast and reliable transaction  :thumb:

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 21:51:00 »
I also just bought from mehkee when this GB collapsed - fast and reliable transaction  :thumb:
You are right, Mehkee shipped out orders super fast, i've place an order yesterday and it's already shipped today, would purchase more stuffs from him in the future

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 21:05:51 »

I've purchased from mehkee previously. Smooth transaction and fast cheap shipping.

Can I have link to his website or his contact? Thanks!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 21:31:17 »

Can I have link to his website or his contact? Thanks!
https://mehkee.com/

here

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [IC] Holtite sockets (2017.03.21: Closed)
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 21:59:40 »
I've split off the recent interest check discussion from the failed GB thread and moved it here (since it makes more sense to compartmentalize that group buy and separate the discussion about starting a new group buy).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline yohanskee

• * Maker
  • There is no escape from enemy who lives within
    • Alpha Keycaps Instagram
Re: [IC] Holtite sockets
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 22:10:19 »
Is it the same with the one at winkeyless . kr ?
TGR 910 CE | Singa R1 | HHKB Pro 2 | IBM Model M

Alpha Keycaps - Making Stuff Thread
Alpha Keycaps - Sale Thread

Offline cynviloq

Re: [IC] Holtite sockets
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 19:56:28 »
Is it the same with the one at winkeyless . kr ?

They should be as long as the ones at wkl are genuine Holtites. Mine on Mehkee are for sure by TE Connectivity and genuine Holtites. Wkl only stocks the tin-lead version as far as I'm aware.