Author Topic: Benefits or cons to floating keys?  (Read 28410 times)

Offline dman777

Benefits or cons to floating keys?
« on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:19:57 »
Do floating key kaps feel different when typing when compared to non floating key caps? Are there benefits? Are there cons? I am trying to decide between the Ducky Shine 6 Special Edition(I love the lights and floating keys although they are ABS) or the Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L(I love the minimal body and I would put on my own full length PBT keys).

Offline nya

Re: Benefits or cons to floating keys?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:25:53 »
pro: looks pretty
con: amasses a tonne of cat hair

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:36:56 »
Pro: ugly
Cons: see pros

Personally can't stand low profile cases. Hide yo switches.
keyboards.

Offline jcc04

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 16:30:41 »
I think floating keys belong on 60% or less but otherwise I can't stand them.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 22:22:10 »
pro: easy to clean hairs out of.
con: looks ugly to most people.

Offline dman777

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 02:41:22 »
Is it easy to press a key down with your finger, and as your finger comes up, your finger hits the underneath edge of the key next to it?

With full sized keys, I take all the keys off once a year and clean them...they will have dust and oil all the way to the base of the key cap. Does this mean I will have to take a q-tip and clean every switch since it will be exposed and will collect dust and oil?
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 02:43:44 by dman777 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 05:32:17 »
Borderless keyboards can look good if they are truly borderless: where the edges of the keyboard are aligned with the edges of the keys. The point of not having a border would be to save space.
Wide borders with exposed bolt-heads are ugly but a simple way to make DIY keyboards.

A half-high border around the keys and keycaps with miniskirts (like the Ducky Shine 6) are nothing but disgusting.
The point of having skirts on keys is to prevent dust and debris from falling in-between the keys.
Keycap skirts were introduced when typewriters started to have a bottom under the keys. Most other typewriters were often open under the key arms, allowing dust and debris falling between the keys to fall through down onto the desk (or typist's lap) below. There were also typewriters with chiclet-style keyboards at least as far back as 1954.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 05:33:49 by Findecanor »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 05:38:44 »
Is it easy to press a key down with your finger, and as your finger comes up, your finger hits the underneath edge of the key next to it?

It will work the exact same as any other MX keyboard, keyspacing and height is the same.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 07:08:51 »
Keycap skirts are traditionally slick, so that is not a problem. I could see a problem if the skirts are shorter than the key travel but that is very rare. There are some crappy low-profile chiclet keyboards that don't have skirts on the keys where you could get your nail underneath a keycap.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:16:24 »
What is floating keys exactly? An image?

Offline Robotical

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 07:14:10 »

Basically referring to when the switch itself is exposed underneath the keycap.

Can be achieved through a low profile case or keycaps like ducky's new floating keycaps:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 07:29:34 »
I like them in general; but, sometimes, the standard height of a case that actually cover the switch is better.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 07:48:17 »

Can be achieved through a low profile case or keycaps like ducky's new floating keycaps:
Show Image

wow, that looks absolutely terrible.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 07:58:15 »

Show Image

Like extra short mini skirts?

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 13:42:04 »

Show Image

They look amazing on 40% with DSA caps. And to be fair, those cylindricals in that picture are fairly horid, same with the kb to be honest.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 15:57:39 »
The Ducky Shine 6 is a bit of an extreme example. Look instead at Corsair K65, the input.club K-type or WhiteFox.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 07:01:50 »
I gotta admit that it doesn't look too enticing... guess I'll have to see one in real life to be convinced  :p

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 00:27:46 »
i find it easier to take keycaps around the edge off on floating key boards.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Cotay

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 16:29:30 »
I generally prefer floating switches on anything TKL or smaller. The only sub-TKL build of mine that doesn't have floating keys is a Lambo.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 21:44:36 »
Floating switches have never really grabbed me - they always seem more vulnerable to collecting dirt and dust that otherwise might have fallen off the side of the case.

Although they are good for dissipating more light if that is your thing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ