Author Topic: [IC] 400 Switch Test Plate - Powder Coated Bent Steel - Updated 11/22  (Read 4227 times)

Offline d_stilgar

I've been working on a 400 switch (25x16 grid) steel test plate and got pricing from a company to produce them. Right now the pricing is as follows:
  • 25 plates: $145 each + $18 shipping
  • 50 plates: $125 each + $18 shipping
Here is an album with renders of the test plate and two different layouts.

I'm still working with the manufacturer, but shipping would be out of either Pennsylvania or New York. The final plate will be roughly 19"x15"x3", so you can estimate shipping based on a box a little bigger than those dimensions and weighing a few pounds. Once I have answers from the manufacturer I'll be able to get a better estimate.

It may be possible that you'll be able to choose the color of your powder coat finish individually, but for now let's just assume they all have to be the same color, chosen from one of the following:
  • White
  • Gray
  • Orange
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Yellow
  • Green
  • Black
Please let me know if you'd be interested in buying one of these plates by filling out This Google Form.

Thanks everyone!

UPDATE 11/22

I just heard back from the supplier. Shipping will be $18 in the US and Canada. If you are seriously interested and outside of the US or Canada, please send me a PM and I'll reach out for an individual shipping quote.

Also, you CAN choose your own color (they're bending the rules for me a bit), and I CAN do both the 400 switch version and 397 switch version without changing the price. If I get up to the 25 MOQ, I'll put up an order form with all 30 colors you can choose from (but they're all variants of what's listed above).
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:15:09 by d_stilgar »

Offline bluesclera

Re: [IC] 400 Switch Test Plate - Powder Coated Bent Steel
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 22:23:39 »
what would you use this for? 1 giant keyboard? or switch holder?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 22:45:04 »
Holy balls, 400 switches??!! I guess you could make the ultimate switch tester out of this.

Offline d_stilgar

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 22:54:33 »
what would you use this for? 1 giant keyboard? or switch holder?

It could be a mod board for lubing, dampening, changing springs, etc.

You could wire it up and use it as a midi-controller.

But mostly it's for people like me who have 200+ unique switches and need a way to store, display, and compare them. Niche to be sure, but hopefully there's enough interest to make it happen.

Offline techfresh

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 23:46:28 »
Are there supporting columns underneath in the middle?  Looks like this would easily bend when applying pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline d_stilgar

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 00:09:29 »
Are there supporting columns underneath in the middle?  Looks like this would easily bend when applying pressure.

I was just thinking I should run down to the hardware store and test different gauges of steel at a 15" span to see wha the flex is. In any case, I have built two prototypes into the pricing to make sure that it would be functional so I don't send a useless piece of crap to people.

I also have a 3/8" acrylic version that I'm getting made by someone else. It has it's own legs but if that is too flexible then I'll just use it flat on a table.

In any case, this will be tested. So worst case scenario I get one made and have to make major revisions or refund people their money. I'll be out $300, but nobody else will be stuck with a crap product.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 05:11:02 »
How many switches would a switch test switch if a switch test would switch switches?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 05:51:54 »
I like the idea, but not the quantity. Any plans for 200 switches?

Offline d_stilgar

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:13:30 »

I can make a version with fewer switches. I was thinking I might need to do this anyway if the 15" span gives too much flex. I was thinking maybe 30x10, which would let someone do some silly (4x) XD75 action if they wanted to wire it up but not hand solder everything. I would have to talk to the supplier again to update the quote and get updated pricing as well.

Offline d_stilgar

Re: [IC] 400 Switch Test Plate - Powder Coated Bent Steel - Updated 11/22
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 19:28:01 »
Monthly bump.

I've had six responses. If I can get 10 I'll get a quote for that number and see if people are still interested. I'd love to get to 25.

Thanks for the interest, everyone!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 21:50:22 »

I can make a version with fewer switches. I was thinking I might need to do this anyway if the 15" span gives too much flex. I was thinking maybe 30x10, which would let someone do some silly (4x) XD75 action if they wanted to wire it up but not hand solder everything. I would have to talk to the supplier again to update the quote and get updated pricing as well.

I'd be more interested in something less deep. for me ~200 switches would be perfect, since what I really wanna be able to do is use it for swaping parts between switches. being able to open 100x of 2 different switches at once would be super useful to me.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 06:02:09 »
I'd be interested in something a little smaller, 200 or 100 maybe. Especially if the tolerance on the switch holes is correct so it actually holds the switches in place when opening them.

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 04:51:10 »
Same, interested in something for about 200 switches as well.
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline d_stilgar

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 19:36:52 »
I've gotten 10 responses from people interested. I can contact the fabricator and see what the pricing would be on 10 units and then ask everyone if they're willing to chip in a little more.

I'll also put together a ~200 switch plate since there were a few people who sounded more interested in that and perhaps start that as a second group buy.

I'll see what I can get done this week in terms of the design/renders for the ~200 switch plate and for getting a price at 10 units for the 400 switch plate.