Author Topic: [GB] Modern Dasher D60 (firmware is updated)  (Read 70871 times)

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
[GB] Modern Dasher D60 (firmware is updated)
« on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:15:30 »
Old:

Modern:

This is the group buy for Modern Dasher D60 (or D60 in short), a 60% custom keyboard case. The design of D60 was inspired from the old Data General Dasher keyboards. I was fascinated by the retro esthetics of Dasher keyboard series and wanted a smaller keyboard with a similar appearance. Here comes Modern Dasher D60.

What makes D60 different from other 60% custom keyboards?

• This is a "universal" 60% keyboard case which supports both top and tray mount plates. There are already too many 60% PCBs out there with various features such as split spacebar, RGB, ALPS support, and so on. D60 can support all of them with 3rd party plates or custom plates.
  • It's heavy and thick. The OG Dasher keyboards are heavy and thick, so is D60. The assembled D60 keyboard is 4.25kg (9.37lbs) with brass weight and aluminum plate.
  • Custom color and custom plate. (see below)
  • Last but not least, the retro look inspired by Data General Dasher keyboards!

Cases

There are three layouts including GH60, HHKB, and WKL.

The sticker on the prototype will be replaced with a badge in the final products. The stickers will still be included.

There are standoff holes on the bottom case. You can choose to use tray mount plates with standoffs.

This is how the tray mount plate works.

The standard and recommended plate is the top mounting plate.

The USB C female connector is on a breakout board. The breakout board connects the PCB through a short cable (USB C version and mini version will all be included).

Custom anodizing color

The default colors include black, grey, silver, dark blue, and e-white(provided by Foxlab).

We will also provide fully custom anodizing colors for $30 per color.
You can specify which color you want to use on any aluminum parts of your kit.
The color can be specified using pantone numbers or photos.
Please notice the factory cannot guarantee the custom color will be 100 percent accurate.
They can try to adjust the color as best as they can, but you will take the risk by yourself.

PCB

The PCB is optional in this GB. The only PCB we offer is the TR60w PCB from Trianglelab.
The PCB can be bought separately.

This is a WKL layout hot-swappable PCB with single color LEDs.

Custom plate

The plate comes with the case is WKL layout which means it supports WKL layout, HHKB layout, and WKL with win keys. The backspace is split only.
We offer so limited layout options because we hope the plate can work with the hot-swappble PCB.

In exchange, we offer fully custom carbon fiber plates. I will send you a dxf or dwg template.
You can edit the layout, add meme cutouts (if you know what it is), or add logos on it.
The price is $30 per plate.

Pricing:
  • Case (top/weight/bottom) + breakout board + stickers= $245
  • CF/Aluminum plate: $25
  • Brass plate: $45
  • Custom carbon fiber plate: $30
  • Custom anodizing color: $30 per color
  • Extra badge: $15
  • TR60w PCB: $40

Timeline

GB close: 10/31
Payment due by: 11/01
Expected leadtime: 60-100 days.
(The kits with custom colors may or may not take a little longer. )

Join the group buy

GB closed. The CNC of the cases shall start around mid this month in Fox-lab's factory. Fox-lab has a good reputation on sticking to the schedule so I'm very confident this will be a successful GB. The order of the PCBs has already been placed. There will be some more PCBs available to order before delivery.

Update on 12/10/2018:

More

CNC milling has all been finished. Polishing and anodizing should be started soon in another factory.

Supplementary information:

1. Firmware: Default QMK hex file has been attached. You can find the QMK codes here. Appreciate Fox Lab's help.

2. Standoffs: Some people reported damage of standoffs when they tried to screw in the standoff. DO NOT screw in the standoffs violently. There might be e-coating dust in the screw hole. You can try to screw in an m2 bolt several times then clean the screw holes. That will make it much easier.

3. USB connector wiring. The wires of the female connector side have been pre-soldered. You'll need to solder the side of the male connector of your choice, either USB Mini or USB C. The following is the diagram.

USB C

Mini USB

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2019, 22:19:35 by Ramiel »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] Modern Dasher D60
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:30:55 »
Approved :D
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline sleepybrett

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:37:46 »
Is the version in the prototype shots, dark blue top plate, e-white base? What do the badges look like?
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:05:43 by sleepybrett »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:40:20 »
Huh, interesting

Sent from my DREA100 using Tapatalk

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:41:21 »
GLWB! Very unique design, I'm into it

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:43:24 »
This is such a fun looking keyboard, and I can't wait to see what other colour options people go with.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:47:32 »
how tall is this front? looks pretty tall.

Offline Mearaz

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:53:40 »
If I want to get one that looks like the sample is it dark blue top, e-white bottom and dark blue badge and plate?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:02:57 »
how tall is this front? looks pretty tall.

22mm without rubber feet. The Macbook style rubber feet should make it 1mm or so taller.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:05:19 »
If I want to get one that looks like the sample is it dark blue top, e-white bottom and dark blue badge and plate?

Dark blue top, e-white bottom, and dark blue plate. The sample doesn't have a badge. That's a sticker. The stickers in multiple colors will be included no matter which color you choose for the badge.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:11:22 »
Looks amazing. Any plans for a 75% version in the future? 65% might even make me bite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:20:14 »
It says top mount or tray mount.  Is there a photo of the top mount version? I see where you discuss it, but I cannot see a plate in that photo.

Also, I am very interested in a WKL option.  Any chance we could see a prototype of that before the GB ends?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:21:41 »
Looks amazing. Any plans for a 75% version in the future? 65% might even make me bite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks! Everything is possible but the different layout for a similar design has very low priority for me.

The OG Dasher was very huge. I chose to make a 60% version because I want a small one. 60% also makes it possible to support the various PCBs available in the community.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:27:34 »
It says top mount or tray mount.  Is there a photo of the top mount version? I see where you discuss it, but I cannot see a plate in that photo.

Also, I am very interested in a WKL option.  Any chance we could see a prototype of that before the GB ends?

There's actually a top mount photo under the text "The standard and recommended plate is the top mounting plate." The top case and the plate are both dark blue so you didn't notice.

It's not possible to get another prototype made, at least from the factory I'm working with. This is already the second prototype I received. I can do a render if you just want to see how a WKL version looks.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:42:54 »

There's actually a top mount photo under the text "The standard and recommended plate is the top mounting plate." The top case and the plate are both dark blue so you didn't notice.

It's not possible to get another prototype made, at least from the factory I'm working with. This is already the second prototype I received. I can do a render if you just want to see how a WKL version looks.

Yes, please.  I think a render would do.

Offline Dolas

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:00:54 »
You don't seem to have prices listed anywhere for the extra badges or the PCB.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:03:06 »
Any album with fancy pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:06:46 »
Would it be possible to see a side view of and possibly a front view as well (like the first photo but from both the side and front?)

I measured some of my boards and they mostly range from 17mm-20mm in the front.  22mm (23mm with feet) seems high, but I might just have to make it work for this unique board.

In case anyone needs reference, here are a few of the boards I measured the front height of (all with rubber feet):

Vortex Pok3r: 11mm
TEX low profile aluminum and acrylic: 13mm
Winkeyless Bold Case (B.87): 13mm
IGK V1 aluminum case: 14mm
Canoe: 17mm
KBP V60: 17mm
Realforce 87U: 17mm
IMB Model M: ~17.75mm (hard to tell exactly because of case design)
Tada68 High Profile: 18mm
CM Novatouch and Rapid-I: 18.5mm
KBDfans wooden: 18.5mm
M65-A: 18.5mm
KBDfans 5 degree: 18.75mm (hard to tell exactly because of case design)
Klippe: 19mm
Filco Majestouch TKL: 19mm
AEKII: 19mm
Aliexpress high profile aluminum: 19.75mm
E8-V1: 20mm
TX60 and TX65: 21mm
Norbatouch: 25mm

I also realize it is difficult to make an accurate comparison by just measuring the front of the case.  A combination of large vs small bezels as well as steeper vs. flatter case angles will significantly change the height at which the first row of keycaps are measured.  Then, add on top of that the variance in of how deep the switches are inset into the case.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:19:12 by pixelpusher »

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 11:02:54 »

Yes, please.  I think a render would do.

Which color do you want to see in the render?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 11:05:58 »
You don't seem to have prices listed anywhere for the extra badges or the PCB.

Oh, I missed it. The price for one extra badge is $15.

TR60w PCB is the same price as Trianglelab's price which is $40.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 11:16:56 »
Any album with fancy pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some more photos

I'm really not good at photography. All the photos were photographed using my phone. The case looks better than in the photos.

Let me see if I can find someone local to take better photos.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 11:40:23 »
Would it be possible to see a side view of and possibly a front view as well (like the first photo but from both the side and front?)

I measured some of my boards and they mostly range from 17mm-20mm in the front.  22mm (23mm with feet) seems high, but I might just have to make it work for this unique board.

In case anyone needs reference, here are a few of the boards I measured the front height of (all with rubber feet):

Vortex Pok3r: 11mm
TEX low profile aluminum and acrylic: 13mm
Winkeyless Bold Case (B.87): 13mm
IGK V1 aluminum case: 14mm
Canoe: 17mm
KBP V60: 17mm
Realforce 87U: 17mm
IMB Model M: ~17.75mm (hard to tell exactly because of case design)
Tada68 High Profile: 18mm
CM Novatouch and Rapid-I: 18.5mm
KBDfans wooden: 18.5mm
M65-A: 18.5mm
KBDfans 5 degree: 18.75mm (hard to tell exactly because of case design)
Klippe: 19mm
Filco Majestouch TKL: 19mm
AEKII: 19mm
Aliexpress high profile aluminum: 19.75mm
E8-V1: 20mm
TX60 and TX65: 21mm
Norbatouch: 25mm

I also realize it is difficult to make an accurate comparison by just measuring the front of the case.  A combination of large vs small bezels as well as steeper vs. flatter case angles will significantly change the height at which the first row of keycaps are measured.  Then, add on top of that the variance in of how deep the switches are inset into the case.

The bottom of the keycaps aligns with the top case right now. I have modified the files to let the plate to sit 1mm deeper.

Offline eas

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 12:06:14 »
Hello.

Would a custom xd75 plate be possible?

Thanks

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 12:20:52 »
Hello.

Would a custom xd75 plate be possible?

Thanks

Yes, that's possible.

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 14:35:45 »
Filled out the form. I’ve been waiting for this! Didn’t think it’d come so soon tbh

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:09:18 »
when you say custom colour.. do you mean the blue can be changed to another colour? also what about the price of shipping?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:18:27 »
when you say custom colour.. do you mean the blue can be changed to another colour? also what about the price of shipping?

Yes.  There are 3 parts.  The case top (blue in the prototype), the case bottom (white in the prototype) and top mount plate (recommended but not required if you bring your own plate and use the standoffs for plate mounting)

Interested to see what color combos people use.  I'm wracking my brain trying to think of something awesome.  Might do dark gray bottom with a pantone matched dark burgundy color to Maxkey Royal set.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 17:45:25 »

Custom color means the color in not limited to the 5 colors in the list. It can be any colors you want. The factory will adjust the color just for your case.

Every package will be weighted before shipping so the price is not a fixed number. Shipping from China. If the package is 4kg, the price shipping to the US is $43.88 estimated by SF express. We should get a lower price than the calculated one if we shipping a lot of packages at once. You can try to calculate the shipping on their website.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 17:50:32 »

Yes.  There are 3 parts.  The case top (blue in the prototype), the case bottom (white in the prototype) and top mount plate (recommended but not required if you bring your own plate and use the standoffs for plate mounting)

Interested to see what color combos people use.  I'm wracking my brain trying to think of something awesome.  Might do dark gray bottom with a pantone matched dark burgundy color to Maxkey Royal set.

The plate is not visible most of the time. You can just focus on the top and bottom combos.
It's a good idea to use the colorway to match your keyset.

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 19:18:04 »
Which badge color do we go with for it to look closest to the original?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 19:55:09 »
Which badge color do we go with for it to look closest to the original?

The original badge has two colors on it, blue and bluish white. The aluminum badge can only in one color. If you look for the original look, I suggest you order a silver badge and paint the texts.

Offline Sadboiseason

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 21:05:16 »
With the custom color, if we want the top and bottom the same. Is that $30 or $60?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 21:06:23 »
With the custom color, if we want the top and bottom the same. Is that $30 or $60?

$30

Offline M

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 21:19:47 »
whoa thats heavy

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 22:04:03 »
hi, so assuming we buy everything thru the GB, to build out a keyboard we would need:
the base kit +
a plate+
pcb

?
how does the top case support the different bottom row layouts?  blockers that clip in?  looks really great, would be nice if we could see it with other keycaps, otherwise this would really be a keyboard built for only one keycap set!

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 22:10:39 »
i really want this but i feel i must tell my self no as i dont think id ever use it but gosh thats beautiful. hefty guy or sure love it.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 22:40:27 »
hi, so assuming we buy everything thru the GB, to build out a keyboard we would need:
the base kit +
a plate+
pcb

?
how does the top case support the different bottom row layouts?  blockers that clip in?  looks really great, would be nice if we could see it with other keycaps, otherwise this would really be a keyboard built for only one keycap set!

You need to choose all the options in section 2 and the PCB in section 3.

The top case doesn't support different bottom row layout. You have to choose the layout in the first question in section 2.

Thanks for the suggestions. The original idea of this case was to match Dasher/Dancer keyset. I'm also curious what color people will choose and what keysets they will match. There are infinite possibilities as I'm offering fully custom colors.

Offline Mearaz

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 22:48:05 »
How does the breakout board connect to the PCB? Will that be a problem for PCBs with different types of ports?

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 22:50:15 »
If I have a regular plate and pcb (60%) already made would I be able to use those instead of the custom option available?

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 23:28:08 »
Can I choose the color of case weight ?Is there a brass version?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 07:38:19 »
How does the breakout board connect to the PCB? Will that be a problem for PCBs with different types of ports?

There will be two short cables. One side of the cable is either mini or USB C male connector. You need to solder another side of the cable to the breakout board.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 07:39:42 »
If I have a regular plate and pcb (60%) already made would I be able to use those instead of the custom option available?

No, you can only order the case without plate and pcb. Remember to choose "I will use my own plates".

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 07:40:14 »
Can I choose the color of case weight ?Is there a brass version?

Brass weight is the only version.

Offline zslane

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 12:09:21 »
Just to clarify, I can recase a Pok3r with this, yes?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 12:21:20 »
Just to clarify, I can recase a Pok3r with this, yes?

I don't have a Pok3r for testing but it should be compatible

Offline M

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 14:23:42 »
How thick is the brass plate?

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 14:52:03 »
Do you have images of the badge?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 16:06:20 »
How thick is the brass plate?

It's 5mm thick

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 16:07:27 »

No, I don't have a prototype with the badge. You can see how the badge looks in the render.

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 16:32:29 »

No, I don't have a prototype with the badge. You can see how the badge looks in the render.

Thanks! Honestly the biggest problem for me right now is deciding colours  :))