Author Topic: Elecom Huge vs Kensington Expert  (Read 13553 times)

Offline knightjp

Elecom Huge vs Kensington Expert
« on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 13:44:10 »
For the past couple of months, while my Kensington Slimblade has been out of commission, I have been using my old Logitech M570. The M570 is great, but I miss the Slimblade.
Considering the Slimblade's buttons gave way so quickly and I've heard that the button of the Expert are more durable.
Looking online, I did see a review on the ELECOM Huge M-HT1URBK and I was wondering how does it compare with the Kensington Expert K64325

Has anyone here used both?

Living in Dubai is a bit of a drag when it comes to geeky stuff. I often need to rely on ebay and amazon purchases. Trackballs are hard to come by here. Mostly the M570 and the new Logitech Ergo.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 December 2018, 07:58:33 by knightjp »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
Re: Elecom Huge vs Kensington Expert
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 05:30:29 »
I like some thing about the Huge but not enough to recommend it. The ball sticks a bit making fine precision movement impossible. By comparison the Expert ball just about never sticks. Also the Huge has issues with button placement (scroll wheel too far back), and the contoured hand pad won't fit everyone; apparently it's better if you put something under the trackball to tilt it outwards (for a more vertical hand position). With the Expert, you just plop your hand on top. Then one nice thing about the Huge that the Expert lacks is the extra programmable buttons. The Expert also has its scroll "ring", which can be loud and loose-feeling even though it is physically sturdy. I actually like it, but apparently some people don't-- it certainly doesn't feel refined.

Overall I would choose the Expert any day over the Huge
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679
Reddit: /u/nerdponx
Deskthority: autoload -Uz
Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp

Offline knightjp

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 13:21:35 »
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just didn't see the need to start a new one.

Looking at my desk recently and I noticed that something was missing. Yeah... a replacement to my old Slimblade. I was still using the Logitech m570. Why?.. Well got busy with a work project for the past many months that just got finished and I completely forgot about trackballs.
Kind of a testament to the Logitech really. It has lasted so long and works really well.
But I still do miss my SB.

Getting back to the topic, there are a couple of things that do trouble me about the HUGE. One is the placement of the scroll wheel. I know that some people like it because it is like the old legendary Microsoft Trackball and that's OK. But I do have to ask a question.
How do you select text by using holding the left click and using the scroll wheel in a document or webpage?
Can the HUGE be as accurate as the Expert for graphics and media editing work?...
According to this review, The wheel needs to be moved with the thumb, and that works, but is not always ideal: it’s impossible to Click and Hold (for example holding a Photoshop layer or a document, and then scroll down).
Because the Thumb is used to do the Click & Hold, it can’t be used anymore for the scrolling.

https://www.trackballmouse.org/elecom-m-ht1drbk-huge-wireless-trackball/

I've seen the Expert being used in sound and video studios by pros. So I know it works for fine control of the mouse.
But I am still not sure about the angle. Do I have to have the wrist-rest? Would like to hear from Expert users about that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 November 2019, 12:37:55 by knightjp »

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 November 2019, 01:16:51 »
I used a Kensington Expert, then I replaced it with Elecom Huge and, right now, I'm using Elecom DEFT Pro.

- Kensington Expert:
I don't remember why I replaced it. I think due to lack of buttons (4 is not enough) also their software is somewhat lacking.

- Elecom Huge:
enough buttons for me, software is adequate (sometimes it didn't work on "top-level" window like Task Manager, I'm not sure how to call that)
also while using it, your hand lay somewhat flat (despite the curve), my hand hurts in the first few days I use it.

- Elecom DEFT Pro:
enough buttons, software is the same as the Huge.
switching from the Huge to DEFT Pro caues me pain for a few days, after that there is no problems.
by the way, its bluetooth/wireless modes are flawless, only a slight delay in switching between two modes.

How do you select text by using holding the left click and using the scroll wheel in a document or webpage?
(Huge, DEFT Pro) unfortunately, you can't.
but you can hold left click and move the cursor to select.

Can the HUGE be as accurate as the Expert for graphics and media editing work?...
since the Expert and the Huge are both operated with forefinger / middle-finger, I think the accuracy should not be too different. (I did use them for Photoshop and stuffs, only some simple taks though)

But I am still not sure about the angle. Do I have to have the wrist-rest? Would like to hear from Expert users about that.
hmm... I did use the Expert with wrist-rest.

---
if you use the Huge / DEFT Pro, you should remap the middle-mouse button to a separate button, don't use it with the scroll-wheel. Yes, you can click the scroll-wheel but clicking the scroll-wheel without moving the scroll is pretty hard (might as well be impossible).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline knightjp

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 05:34:49 »
@Tom_Kazansky

Thank you for the reply. It was really helpful.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 23:55:37 »

(Huge, DEFT Pro) unfortunately, you can't.
but you can hold left click and move the cursor to select.

since the Expert and the Huge are both operated with forefinger / middle-finger, I think the accuracy should not be too different. (I did use them for Photoshop and stuffs, only some simple taks though)

itís impossible to Click and Hold (for example holding a Photoshop layer or a document, and then scroll down).

Would your holding button and moving the mouse cursor work in a Photoshop scenario.

Based on your suggestions, I guess I could give the HUGE a try. But you can you really find a reason for picking the HUGE over the Expert other than the number of buttons?

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 01:21:14 »

Would your holding button and moving the mouse cursor work in a Photoshop scenario.

Based on your suggestions, I guess I could give the HUGE a try. But you can you really find a reason for picking the HUGE over the Expert other than the number of buttons?

(Elecom DEFT Pro)
if I use Move tool (V), click on a layer, hold click, move the cursor then the selected layer will move. <--- do you mean this scenario?

well, other than number of buttons, I can't think of other reasons for picking the HUGE over the Expert.  :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline knightjp

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 05:16:13 »
if I use Move tool (V), click on a layer, hold click, move the cursor then the selected layer will move. <--- do you mean this scenario?
I'm not quite sure as I'm not a photoshop expert. But there have been cases when using a mouse where I had to press and hold and then used the scroll. I used to be able to do this on the Slimblade easily because of the scrolling attached to be cursor. I guess your method should work as well.

well, other than number of buttons, I can't think of other reasons for picking the HUGE over the Expert.  :)
That's no problem. Honestly never used the HUGE. So I can't really say much about it. The number of buttons is a good advantage, but I would be happy with the Kensington's 4. I would still be using my Slimblade if it hadn't failed and I'm making do with the M570. So buttons aren't really a big deal for me.
Over the Expert, I guess the angle and of the device does cause some people discomfort.
I mostly bought my trackballs based on the reviews on this site.

https://www.trackballmouse.org/elecom-m-ht1drbk-huge-wireless-trackball/
https://www.trackballmouse.org/kensington-expert-mouse/

Offline knightjp

Microsoft Trackball Explorer
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 06:09:32 »
Looking at reviews, I keep hearing about the Microsoft Trackball Explorer. There are those who claim the Elecom Huge and the DEFT pro are built to be modern versions of that.
Is the Trackball Explorer really that good? How does it really compare with the HUGE and the Expert?