Author Topic: AEK84  (Read 274 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline prmlt

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 3
« on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 15:23:31 »
Hi there,

As the new year starts, i wanted to throw myself some challenges and one dream of mine has always been to get my hands on a JP AEK64, the trouble being that i pretty much always use the function keys and the arrows in my day to day work. So i've set my endgame board to be a JP AEK84 with Orange-Alps. Which i never saw anywhere as a custom built (i'd love for someone to prove me wrong though !)

I started to poke around to see if there was any readymade 75% pcb/build that could support Alps SKCM switches, then it would just be a matter of some lasercutting and case engineering. But it seems there is none (apart from old Siig boards)

So as a new year resolution, i've decided to venture into custom boards and build it from scratch. Being the novice that I am (and maybe way over my head), I was hoping that someone here could throw me in the right direction with some good references/advices
Is there a Alps-compatible 84 pcb already somewhere ? Blueprints ?
What kind of firmware should I try to implement ?
Any advices ?

I hope by january 2020 to have succeeded in my quest.
Let's go !

Offline poangscat

  • Posts: 2
  • Location: China
Re: AEK84
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 02:34:12 »
about PCB ,you can design by yourself with AD or kicad,and the firmware i think tmk/qmk may be a best choice :)

Online tex_live_utility

  • Posts: 200
Re: AEK84
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 09:39:10 »
The XD87 PCB apparently supports Alps, and Hineybush has an Alps version of the H87a in the works.

Offline prmlt

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 3
Re: AEK84
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 09:30:28 »
Thanks for the replies !
Yes i saw the XD87 but the layout is a TKL which is not compact enough for my taste. I'm currently thinking of a correct layout to design my own 75% Alps PCB, i want to incorpate the arrow keys on the bottom right by dropping the command/ctrl and swapping for a more compact r-shift (1.25u maybe)