Author Topic: best tictile feel switch that aren't too ecpencive  (Read 7746 times)

Offline kait03

best tictile feel switch that aren't too ecpencive
« on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 03:09:32 »
i now have a k63 with red cherry switch and i want to try the feeling of a good tactile bump exc exc and make my own keyboard but i don't have a lot of money to start with  :( so

what are some good tictile switch (tactile cliky or ok too) that doesn't cost too much??

does lube help with the tactile feel of a switch?

thx for reading
My english sucks I'm sorry I''m steal learning but I can make pizza And pasta alla carbonara

Offline Lanrefni

Re: best tictile feel switch that aren't too ecpencive
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 04:43:04 »
Outemu blues are usually pretty cheap.

Offline kait03

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 04:48:59 »
but they feel good?
My english sucks I'm sorry I''m steal learning but I can make pizza And pasta alla carbonara

Offline geekmonkey

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 05:35:27 »
They do. I have a Chinese "Motospeed" board with Outemu blues, cost like $38 or something so I figured what's to lose in trying it out? haha. I've had it for about a year and a half now and it works pretty nice.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 05:54:49 »
i now have a k63 with red cherry switch and i want to try the feeling of a good tactile bump exc exc and make my own keyboard but i don't have a lot of money to start with  :( so

what are some good tictile switch (tactile cliky or ok too) that doesn't cost too much??

does lube help with the tactile feel of a switch?

thx for reading

Mx clears have a good tactile feedback they go for around 0,40 Euro cents each on /MM. Lubing would decrease tactility but make the switch smoother.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 07:00:52 »
Lubing and installing o rings help you to bottom out less. It contributes to the feel by making it less scratchy. I would recommend cherry mx brown as they are rated good and they have a light force to press.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 07:03:31 »
I'd reccomend retooled cherry browns. they can be found on arrow.com
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline kait03

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 07:49:28 »
aren't cherry brown ****?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 07:59:59 »
Browns are not tactile enough for many, no.

Outemu has also a purple switch which is close to MX Clear in feel but lighter. I would look for that.
🍉

Offline kait03

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 10:19:24 »
what about kailh switch how are they?

Offline mta

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:15:58 »
I think people like to dump on Cherry Browns because they've been around forever and are pretty generic/nondescript in many ways, but honestly, a lot of people do like them (who aren't necessarily keyswitch aficionados, granted). They're not the most tactile switch ever but they're worth trying out just to have some kind of cheap baseline.

Otherwise I'd say Outemu strikes a good balance between cost and tactility.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:56:06 »
There are many varieties of Kailh switches, not just Red, Black, Blue and Brown.

Some clicky Kailh switches use a click bar instead of replicating the Cherry MX Blue's sleeve. It may be more tactile but it clicks also on the up-stroke which just sounds wrong IMHO.

The Kailh Box series could crack keycap stems. The second revision should be safe with more keycap varieties but still be bad for others: There is a long thread about the issue.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:59:51 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline mta

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:11:03 »
Wasn't aware the retooling was still problematic for some keysets -- thanks

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 17:27:25 »
btw, i have one too! :)

Offline kait03

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 23:33:21 »
I found out that kailh speed bronze have a really greate sound but what about tactility? Can some one send the force graph?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:17:24 »
TORPE FEELS GOOD BUT ITS TOO ECPENCIVE.

Offline jamster

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 18:28:14 »
I found out that kailh speed bronze have a really greate sound but what about tactility? Can some one send the force graph?

Googling "kailh speed bronze force graph" gives that as the first search result.

Please capitalise. I know English isn't your first language, which is fine, but capitalisation exists in Italian, and this is a site about keyboards.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 18:43:40 »
I liked Kailh Blues for a while, but I haven't tried any other clicky/tactile switch besides that. If buckling springs weren't so expensive and there were more positives being thrown about Unicomp, those might be worth looking into.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline Telstar

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 07:29:26 »
I liked Kailh Blues for a while, but I haven't tried any other clicky/tactile switch besides that. If buckling springs weren't so expensive and there were more positives being thrown about Unicomp, those might be worth looking into.

If you like the blues, you would like buckling spring as well, they have less of a spring effect (which is the best feature of the blues for me) and are a little heavier, but the sound is better, less high-pitched.
Because blues are my favourite, I know the alternatives - maybe open a new topic or chime in mine.

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 08:20:46 »
Royal Clears are pretty good for the money if you have a thing for large bumps.

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 15:13:39 »

If you like the blues, you would like buckling spring as well, they have less of a spring effect (which is the best feature of the blues for me) and are a little heavier, but the sound is better, less high-pitched.
Because blues are my favourite, I know the alternatives - maybe open a new topic or chime in mine.

I heard there's a new version of the Model F coming out. It's like $350 at least to get a new one without the keycaps itself. Keep in mind I've never typed on a buckling spring, but have seen a lot of videos on them and the sound they make.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 16:50:53 »
I dont know how much they would cost you, but I put together some holy pandas the other night and the hype is definitely real..

Definitely the best tactile switch Ive ever tried.  And the sound they make is actually pretty nice.. 
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline Telstar

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 20:35:57 »
Keep in mind I've never typed on a buckling spring, but have seen a lot of videos on them and the sound they make.

I have for 20 years. It came with my fist computer a 486sx. Never cared for the windows key, multimedia keys and other gimmics. I actually disable all but the left win key on new keyboards.
Something that should appeal to us, besides the unobtanium holy pandas, are the Box Jades and several other new switches that are between tactile and clicky with more or less force needed (personal taste). I did find mx green too heavy and blues too light, but still better. Just to give u some pointers.

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 22:00:19 »
Keep in mind I've never typed on a buckling spring, but have seen a lot of videos on them and the sound they make.

I have for 20 years. It came with my fist computer a 486sx. Never cared for the windows key, multimedia keys and other gimmics. I actually disable all but the left win key on new keyboards.
Something that should appeal to us, besides the unobtanium holy pandas, are the Box Jades and several other new switches that are between tactile and clicky with more or less force needed (personal taste). I did find mx green too heavy and blues too light, but still better. Just to give u some pointers.

Like when I look at the boards, they seem familiar to me for some reason, but I really can't recall a memory where I got to use them.

And yes, I was watching some videos today about those box switches. Particularly what people were saying about Kailh Box Pink, or at least from the video Thomas uploaded today, seemed promising.

As for me, I (accidentally) ordered some BKE Redux Domes so I could put in my Niz Plum board and replace the stock 35g domes entirely. They were like $70 at least, and I felt so guilty for buying them, but I really wanted to try out the Ultra Lights, which might give me some great tactility without that much force required. I had explored the BKE Lights too. Just when you think you have an endgame, something else comes along that catches your eye.

After giving it even more thought, I'm even more curious to try out some buckling springs, though I have to watch my bank account balance for a while before taking the plunge. :D

Offline Telstar

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 08:04:50 »
After giving it even more thought, I'm even more curious to try out some buckling springs, though I have to watch my bank account balance for a while before taking the plunge. :D

Bucket springs don't chatter. After several years some keys may feel lighter. The spacebar is not easily replaceable. The feedback is not that much (i'd like more), somewhat between MX browns and blues. And for some people they are heavy (less than mx greens in reality). The very best thing is the keys SPACING - I find all modern keyboards that I have tried too cramped, and the extra keys useless (windows and function add to the annoyance). The second best thing is the double keycaps that can be easily removed and which I clean twice a year. Under the top plate it gets dirty but nothing to ruin the pcb unless you spill water on it.
Note that black versions don't have dye-sublimation caps and the white text will fade easily. That is why I didn't get one.

I don't have experience yet with the newer switches, but I'm getting soon a 25 places testing, pad once I choose which ones I want in it lol. There are soo many...
Unfortunately nobody makes molds and pcbs for full size ISO layout, and with proper spacing between keys.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 03:07:53 »
Outemu Sky is the obvious choice here

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 22:03:55 »
Gotta go and feel them, because with cheaper brands while you can still get great switches, consistency is more of a problem.

Also there are a lot of subjective differences between Cherry, Kailh, Gateron, Outemu and other directly comparable switches (e.g. companies that use the same colour coding, e.g. blue for tactile clicky, black/red for linear, brown for compromise).

Then also the way the board is built and the plastic used in the keycaps can make a world of a difference with certain switches (e.g. ABS vs BPT blues), sometimes near enough to make them feel like different switches, unrecognizable even. And with cheaper boards there's gonna be a lot of variance in materials and build quality.

I'd suggest pawing them, plugging them into your laptop, testing them for a while, still checking reviews before making the decision once something catches your interest.

Outemu tends to be the cheapest of widely available dedicated switch brands, but there are also in-house switches developed by certain manufacturers that don't charge a hefty premium; you might end up liking one of those.

Re: Kailh, it can cost almost the same as Cherry, at which point I'd normally ask why bother, especially with blues.

If you're looking for something new, perhaps try out those low-profile Kailh speed switches a lot of people are in love with these days? (E.g. Sharkoon Purewriter.)

Offline Telstar

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 07:14:22 »
Browns are not tactile enough for many, no.

Outemu has also a purple switch which is close to MX Clear in feel but lighter. I would look for that.

I second this.

Offline Gonsterek

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 08:45:32 »
hako royal clears are nice

Offline Greko

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 11:05:23 »
Kailh Gold are pretty honest. IMHO they are among the best clicky switches out there, are very cheap and does not require any type of mod, being able to be used completely stock without problems.

For tactile, halo clears (active in massdrop) or hako clears (novelkeys) worth the money.
IBM Model M White Label | Leopold FC750R | GMMK TKL | Realforce 87U 55G | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline Telstar

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 11:59:42 »
I got my custom switches tester with plenty of tactile and clicky switches and the best tactility is provided by Zealios v2, period.
Yes they cost almost 1$ each, but worth it. Coming from reds probably the 62g is the best weight model for you.

Offline the_ambyguous

• there's a fine line between click and clack
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 01:38:33 »
Im surprised no ones mentioned alps yet.

You can get an Alps board with clicky white or black switches for fairly cheap, cream damped and white damped m3501's arent too expensive either. pricewise salmon alps are the best tactile switch, if youve got money to spend orange is really nice, if there is a physical hole being burned in your pocket by your wallet, brown alps are the ultimate tactile switch. was not expecting the typing experience i got when i first tried brown alps. up till then i had thought orange alps was my endgame. boy was i wrong
Magnavox Typewriter | AEK64 | 658-4081 | Leading Edge 3501 | Omnikey Orange | 197Stotle | MPC2000

Offline Telstar

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 09:27:33 »
For tactile, halo clears (active in massdrop) or hako clears (novelkeys) worth the money.

IMO Halo >>> Hako.
Halo clears are the best bang for bucks for sure. But they will feel heavy to someone used to Reds. Hence why I recommended zealio 67g (or even 62g).