Author Topic: NEW! Alps-based TKL Keyboard Project  (Read 81852 times)

Offline bazemk1979

Re: NEW! Alps-based TKL Keyboard Project
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:57:21 »
Seems like if you go with Aluminum tray(not the top cover) + switches+PCB+plate would end up around 220-230 shipped? that's not bad at all, now if this GB has only 10-15 peeps in it, we are going to feel the steel rod when we have GB from SP for keycaps bwahaha
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 12:47:13 »
Sorry I'm a total noob when it comes to custom keyboards and design considerations, but has anyone ever tried to source standard cases from a manufacturer before?

I attempted to do this via Costar and they wanted nothing to do with it.  I'm impressed CM swung the case tops, but it helps to have a high volume relationship already.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:32:28 »
Sorry I'm a total noob when it comes to custom keyboards and design considerations, but has anyone ever tried to source standard cases from a manufacturer before?

I attempted to do this via Costar and they wanted nothing to do with it.  I'm impressed CM swung the case tops, but it helps to have a high volume relationship already.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking it would make sense to approach CM directly. The markup would be higher since they are an intermediary with Costar, but even with markup it should be significantly less than the other options. I guess I'm just thinking I'd rather sink my money into the plate and switches, which would make the most difference in overall feel. Easy for me to say though when I'm not doing any work. Heh.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:37:22 »
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking it would make sense to approach CM directly. The markup would be higher since they are an intermediary with Costar, but even with markup it should be significantly less than the other options. I guess I'm just thinking I'd rather sink my money into the plate and switches, which would make the most difference in overall feel. Easy for me to say though when I'm not doing any work. Heh.
There's another problem. Take a look at our current plate design in the OP. This couldn't work with CM cases. A plate that is designed for use with CM cases wouldn't be able to be used with our current case designs either so in order to offer CM cases & custom cases we'd need to do two plate designs. This further complicates the group buy especially if we're offering different plate layouts. The plates also may be more expensive as a result since we'd be getting less of a single design made.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:39:58 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:53:28 »
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I think an evolving rough estimate of the individual component costs in the OP would be helpful for anyone on the fence. I'd probably still go for it if the full set of components with a complete or "topless" case option comes in under $200. But when people start throwing around estimates of $200 just for the case, wowzers, I don't need all that bling myself. I don't even look at my keyboard while I'm using it.  :))

In the future, if you guys ever decide to do a "standardized" plate and PCB that would fit into a Costar TKL case (assuming they are sourceable, of course) I'd be all over that.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:55:53 »
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I think an evolving rough estimate of the individual component costs in the OP would be helpful for anyone on the fence. I'd probably still go for it if the full set of components with a complete or "topless" case option comes in under $200. But when people start throwing around estimates of $200 just for the case, wowzers, I don't need all that bling myself. I don't even look at my keyboard while I'm using it.  :))

In the future, if you guys ever decide to do a "standardized" plate and PCB that would fit into a Costar TKL case (assuming they are sourceable, of course) I'd be all over that.
Well I think TheFlyingRaccoon has made a layered case that's designed to be made from acrylic. This would be super cheap and definitely sub-$100 unlike the aluminium cases I've designed that you can see in the OP.
github

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:18:47 »

Well I think TheFlyingRaccoon has made a layered case that's designed to be made from acrylic. This would be super cheap and definitely sub-$100 unlike the aluminium cases I've designed that you can see in the OP.

Yup. For my acrylic case design I was quoted $80 by AcidFire. Not sure if it can be done cheaper somewhere else though.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:23:21 »

Yup. For my acrylic case design I was quoted $80 by AcidFire. Not sure if it can be done cheaper somewhere else though.
Is that including the plate? If so, were you quoted for an aluminium or an acrylic plate?

Regardless of the above it seems like a good price considering the fact that it's a one-off.
github

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:43:44 »
Nice! A translucent "smoked" case would be nice.  I'd also like to hear if that includes an acrylic plate.  Personally, I'd prefer a stainless plate for solidity and durability.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:59:58 »

But that's not including shipping from wherever AcidFire is. Which is not the US I don't believe. We should really not make guestimates on pricing when there's so many details floating out there. People see prices and start expecting things.

We're *trying* to make the board as affordable as possible. But I personally would hesitate to commit to any sort of price window at the moment.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:27:17 »
Fair enough, I'll do my best to be patient!

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:48:00 »

Is that including the plate? If so, were you quoted for an aluminium or an acrylic plate?

Regardless of the above it seems like a good price considering the fact that it's a one-off.

The price quoted is with an acrylic plate.

But that's not including shipping from wherever AcidFire is. Which is not the US I don't believe. We should really not make guestimates on pricing when there's so many details floating out there. People see prices and start expecting things.

We're *trying* to make the board as affordable as possible. But I personally would hesitate to commit to any sort of price window at the moment.

Sorry about that Captain :| I realize that AcidFire is outside the US. I am going to get a quote from Pololu, which is located in the US, so shipping should be cheaper. The tend to have very good pricing so hopefully the case is cheaper too. I will make sure to get quote for an aluminum/ metal plate too.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:51:03 »
It's ok, no worries! I just don't want to disappoint people when the price we give out is different from what was "established" early on.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:55:52 »
Thanks guys!  I'm really looking forward to this one. A whole modern, quality Alps board is so much more exciting than another set of key caps,  huh?

Offline morpheus

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 22:50:24 »
watching this....

Offline Magna224

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 13:52:16 »
This is literally the only thing that would get me to buy a new keyboard.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 07:56:46 »
Interested in helping with electronics and firmware.
Not that much in buying one, but who knows what happens if I get to like the alps I ordered from 7bit...
The GH60 firmware with runtime reprogramming capability is ready to work on any keyboard with a USB-enabled AVR chip.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 07:59:28 »
Komar, I'll be PMing you soon. We really need help on the PCB/electronics front. Thank you so much for volunteering ^__^

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:26:42 »
Not that much in buying one, but who knows what happens if I get to like the alps I ordered from 7bit...
The GH60 firmware with runtime reprogramming capability is ready to work on any keyboard with a USB-enabled AVR chip.
You're a saviour, man.
github

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:17:13 »
Hi Komar.
Any news regarding your GH60 PCB?  :)
We were waiting you to release your final changes/fixes in the GH60 PCB in order to replicate it in our ALPs version.
As you already know we did used your GH60 Rev b as our base version and we decided to wait you to finish your magic before moving on.

As soon as you do finish the GH60 PCB I'm going to review the PCB that I did for the GH60 Alps and this one that I'm doing here (MX/ALPs TKL).
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:46:02 »
https://github.com/komar007/ghkb/issues?milestone=1&state=open
When this says "0 open", it's ready:)
Though I'm not sure you want to use the rev B as base for the ALPS version, because it has LEDs all over the place. ALPS don't have holes for LEDs, do they?
Anyway, if you just omit that LED part it should be enough to use pcbnew's change module function and automatically replace all the switch modules with ALPS, fix the traces and you should be good to go;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:49:28 by komar007 »

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:49:33 »
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 12:55:34 »
You may want to know that this number as a function of time is not monotonic.
In fact, there were I believe 5 or 6 open issues about a month ago:P

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 13:25:29 »
This is a very cool project! I would love a TKL Alps board, perhaps with Mattias Quiet switches.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Grimey

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 21:27:42 »
https://github.com/komar007/ghkb/issues?milestone=1&state=open
When this says "0 open", it's ready:)
Though I'm not sure you want to use the rev B as base for the ALPS version, because it has LEDs all over the place. ALPS don't have holes for LEDs, do they?
Anyway, if you just omit that LED part it should be enough to use pcbnew's change module function and automatically replace all the switch modules with ALPS, fix the traces and you should be good to go;)

Alps can have holes for LEDs, but those switches always came linear as they required removing the tactile leaf for space.
Erlang your pants off

Offline calavera

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 00:19:06 »
Whats the exact distance between each switch center from center? 19mm or 19.05mm?

Offline rao2100

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 07:40:19 »
Would be interested :-)
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 07:46:14 »
Whats the exact distance between each switch center from center? 19mm or 19.05mm?

.75 inches (19.05mm) is the standard spacing I've seen on the majority of boards.  I think someone tried 19mm tho and changed their mind after a prototype.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bupsthename

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 22:49:23 »
Yeah. Really interested in this project. Super excited at the prospect of an Alps programmable board.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 11:21:31 »
Tagging this thread, too.  Some how I've missed this until now.  Now to grab the popcorn and watch as things develop.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 12:15:26 »
The main driver of the project, jdcarpe, has been busy with other stuff. We have the cases designed as best we can and are now waiting for komar/agodinhost/others with PCB design knowledge to help us out. I'll try and post more updates as I get them.

Offline pasph

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 12:39:23 »
Please consider buying keycaps from here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45879.0
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 12:42:39 »
Why would we run double middlemen, i.e. buy from calavera who's buying from SP? Then we'd just have two middlemen between calavera and us.

Just buy the caps when the GB goes up. We're planning on doing an ANSI layout and that's what calavera is doing.

Or are you just saying that that groupbuy exists?

Offline pasph

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:07:35 »
Sometimes i'm feeling like some kind of alien
I just mean: when that [IC] will go in [GB] stage Please consider buying keycaps from that [GB]
was so confusing?
Calavera is trying to run the first Alps caps gb including in some way those old non-standard kbs
Something per se commendable and worthy to be known
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:09:24 »
Ah ok. Just a misunderstanding on my part is all. Not your fault at all ^__^

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:12:10 »
If I could remember for the life of me the switches that were in that Leading Edge I revived last year, I'd LOVE to build a board with those.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:13:11 »
So what's my total cost of being a hipster going to be here?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:15:15 »
Don't have a good cost estimate yet because the cases aren't completely finished. Waiting on the PCB to be finished. jdcarpe might have more insight into this than I do.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:26:09 »
Okay. Don't try to cut costs anywhere. I want to make sure that I'm a high dollar hipster when the time comes.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:27:21 »
This will be the PBR of Alps projects. If you're more of a fancy kid with your trippels, you might be outta luck.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:28:19 »
I used to like PBR before it was cool.

Offline pasph

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:30:30 »
If I could remember for the life of me the switches that were in that Leading Edge I revived last year, I'd LOVE to build a board with those.

Like this?

Complicated Blue Alps

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 21:14:02 »

Like this?
Show Image

Complicated Blue Alps

Om nom nom nom! Blue ALPs!

I liked ALPs before it was cool. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2013, 21:16:13 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 07:52:39 »
Hi guys.

As you already know (if you know) Komar007 released another version of his PCB and he is doing his final tests - this means that soon he will release one final version.

So, in order to take our work back where we left what's still missing?

1) PCB, mine - I will redo the PCB as soon as we get an new official version from Komar007
2) Plate?
3) Stabs (related with 2)?
4) Anything else?

Please, update this little list ...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 07:58:53 »
1) PCB, mine - I will redo the PCB as soon as we get an new official version from Komar007
2) Plate?
3) Stabs (related with 2)?
4) Anything else?

1) You're the man <3
2) jdcarpe will be handling the plate. I suspect the layout will be like the Ducky 1087XM or the Filco Zero
3) jdcarpe was trying to figure this out. If his plan doesn't work out, we'll have to consider trying to get Cherry or Costar stabilizers to work. I'm not sure how feasible that is, I think Costar would work better. But the last option is to harvest caps/stabs from a board like the Kingsaver does with the Wang 724.
4) Caps are another issue. Hoping that calavera makes headway and I hope we can just use those caps. Otherwise jdcarpe has two leads he's chasing when he's back up and running.

I think that's all the info I've got right now. The cases are being handled by Photekq and TheFlyingRaccoon. The cases are done other than the standoffs and actual dimensions of the PCB. I'm kinda helping overseeing all that and filling in as "team lead" as jdcarpe is currently busy elsewhere.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 08:50:43 »

Like this?
Show Image

Complicated Blue Alps

Om nom nom nom! Blue ALPs!

I liked ALPs before it was cool. 

They were SO amazing to type on. It has a plastic-y click to it that was just intoxicating for some reason. Great tactility and weight, they were just amazing. I found the thing in a dumpster being thrown out, brought it home, Soarer converted it, and then proceeded to sell it to a friend of my Mother's whom worked for Leading Edge for a few years when they first started. I still miss it.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 09:50:39 »
very interested in this
looks like great work so far

Offline dante

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 13:57:25 »
3) jdcarpe was trying to figure this out. If his plan doesn't work out, we'll have to consider trying to get Cherry or Costar stabilizers to work. I'm not sure how feasible that is, I think Costar would work better. But the last option is to harvest caps/stabs from a board like the Kingsaver does with the Wang 724.

Has anyone tried contacting SP to see if they could do hybrid Cherry/Alps stems for Mods/Spacebar?

Basically keep the outer Cherry stems as is - but make the center Alps. There are probably some costs with getting the molds/tooling made but then this could potentially be an option for future Group Buys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 14:08:20 »
No dante and frankly, that would just throw another wrinkle into this project which has been in a sluggish state for months. I think that's a good project for another time, but not this project.

Plus are there Alps boards that will accept center stem placement?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 14:36:36 »
yes finding switches and caps are a challenge