Author Topic: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy  (Read 1221497 times)

Offline MarkRobbo

Re: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy
« Reply #900 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:59:26 »
where did you all source your stabs?

I got mine from GON, but spirit sells them too (and gold plated wire)

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #901 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:02:49 »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #902 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:10:46 »

Got mine from GON http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/

but saw icyskyz was selling some on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/3rr1yb/tw_h_stabilizer_wires_blue_sleeved_mini_usb_cable/

I bought two sets of gold stabs from icyskyz, haven't got them in yet but the transaction was easy and had no problems. They don't have to be gold stabs but I like them to be. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #903 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:11:59 »
Some shots before I build it over the weekend. :)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

so freaking awesome no way i could sell mine

well RIP my topre collection gotta make way for 1 cherry board

Ahaha. I like your renewed vigor! I know how it is to be torn on a buy, man. Good luck battling those demons, hehe.

Lol yes it's a real battle I am so torn at the moment. I love topre and my topre collection but the reality is I only use 2 topre boards out of my 5. I can't have money laying around being unused. I might as well sell them to someone who will use them. This will leave me with my favorite topre boards and awesome cherry board.

That's definitely good logic to follow. It can definitely be hard to let go to boards sometimes, even if you don't use them often. Oh the sentimental attachment!
:thumb: Well, I'll find love in the Orion but I'm a little skeptical since the duck Eagle wasn't great. Maybe it was the switches, 62g ergo clears felt very cheap to me compared to topre. I recently tried my blacks and they felt awesome for linears. I will be using gateron blacks with
 :thumb: Well, I'll find love in the Orion but I'm a little skeptical since the duck Eagle wasn't great. Maybe it was the switches, 62g ergo clears felt very cheap to me compared to topre. I recently tried my blacks and they felt awesome for linears. I will be using gateron blacks with gold plated springs and zip sockets.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #904 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:17:51 »
All of you post pictures please show off your glories boards.

You may have one potato  ;). 65g zealios + 72g spring in zealio for spacebar

Does anyone happen to know if anyone still sells sip sockets that have not been removed from their plastic housing? I remember zeal selling them but I may be mistaken.

Your best bet is to buy them on eBay along with some very small wore clippers to clip off the black plastic around them.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #905 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:19:22 »

Sprit aka sprite guy

I bought springs, stabs, and lube  ;) from him it took about a week for shipping in the USA

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #906 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:22:00 »

Sprit aka sprite guy

I bought springs, stabs, and lube  ;) from him it took about a week for shipping in the USA

Sprit has gone off the deep end again, he's vanished but has slowly been filling out orders. Last I saw somebody that put in an order in the beginning of August got theirs mid October. Just be wary, :thumb:

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #907 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:28:38 »

Sprit aka sprite guy

Sprit has gone off the deep end again, he's vanished but has slowly been filling out orders. Last I saw somebody that put in an order in the beginning of August got theirs mid October. Just be wary, :thumb:
Welp then everyone should take this advice. I remember he disappeared when he was  fulfilling cases.
I bought my stuff earlier this year when he was very active.

Offline kacase

• All things bright and beautiful.
    • 9di
« Reply #908 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:32:41 »
Here are some pics of my assembled goodness:

Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline E3E

« Reply #909 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:35:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I love the look of clears with clear switch tops. I think your Orion and my Lightpad could be siblings. :P

Great looking board though! Sorry to derail the thread.

Holy ****, that side LED acrylic panel is god-like! Definitely hope the next Octagon comes with all of the same aesthetics! SO HYPE.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #910 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:39:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yes! That gif is glorious!. The inserts look awesome  :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #911 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:41:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Great build kacase! I saw your post on reddit and lol'd a little bit by how ignorant the people were commenting on your Orion. They had absolutely no clue what the board was, why it costs so much, and why it did not have any windows keys. :p

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #912 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:07:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

:eek:  dam

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #913 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:07:53 »
kacase that is beautiful. well done!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #914 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:25:10 »
Just received mine, safe and sound. It's in perfect condition and I'm gonna assemble it right away.

Will post pics after assembling.

Thanks Elton for the perfect work.  :thumb:

PICTURES PICTURES!!!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

For original sized pictures and more you can check: (click 查看大图)
http://photo.weibo.com/1421324307/albums/detail/album_id/3904765762372638#!/mode/1/page/1

The blue-grey + silver case is from Elton. The full black case is ordered from another source.
I should've went blue grey and black looks awesome

Offline E3E

« Reply #915 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:44:43 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Great build kacase! I saw your post on reddit and lol'd a little bit by how ignorant the people were commenting on your Orion. They had absolutely no clue what the board was, why it costs so much, and why it did not have any windows keys. :p

The reddit MK community is a nice place. Can't blame them for not being elitist enthusiasts. :P It's pretty much the first place a person goes to get their feet wet in this hobby.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #916 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:12:20 »
Apologies if I am going sort of off-topic with this, but can someone who used SIP sockets for LEDs tell me if it was worth it? I am currently removing SIP sockets from their housing for my Orion and it's super annoying :D

Offline kacase

• 9di
« Reply #917 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:15:29 »
Thanks for all the love guys!!   ;D

I am really happy with my board. I hope there will be a another GB for the Lightpad, or a Lightpad V2 so i can put it on the right side of my mouse :)
Orion V2 | Rama M65-A | Rama M67-A aka. Exent | Keycool TKL | Cherry MX Board 3.0

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #918 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:16:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The reddit MK community is a nice place. Can't blame them for not being elitist enthusiasts. :P It's pretty much the first place a person goes to get their feet wet in this hobby.

Yeah I know, by no means was I trying to talk bad about r/MK. I'm not a fan though, I don't see people there appreciate keyboards as much as Geekhack if I'm honest. I spent about 10 hours prepping, building, and keymapping my RS96 and post it on reddit to get about 20 upvotes and then have somebody post there unicorn puke Pok3r and it his the front page of r/MK. I honestly don't really care about upvotes, never did but it's the fact that Pok3r with random ass keycaps than an a custom keyboard, an Orion, an RS96, etc.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #919 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:17:48 »
Apologies if I am going sort of off-topic with this, but can someone who used SIP sockets for LEDs tell me if it was worth it? I am currently removing SIP sockets from their housing for my Orion and it's super annoying :D

Sip Sockets are so worth in my opinion, it's a pain at first but worth it in the end. It's nice when you have a faulty LED die and then it just becomes and easy swap, or if you change your keyset and want new matching LEDs to go along with it then it's much easier to swap the LEDs than de-soldering and soldering new LEDs.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #920 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:20:15 »

Sip Sockets are so worth in my opinion, it's a pain at first but worth it in the end. It's nice when you have a faulty LED die and then it just becomes and easy swap, or if you change your keyset and want new matching LEDs to go along with it then it's much easier to swap the LEDs than de-soldering and soldering new LEDs.

Alright, sounds like I will continue. Seems to be really worth it afterall :D

Offline kacase

• 9di
« Reply #921 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:37:53 »

With my method it's actually not that much of a pain http://imgur.com/a/null/titledesc

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #922 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:44:53 »

FYI the link isn't working for me.

With my method it's actually not that much of a pain http://imgur.com/a/null/titledesc

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #923 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 15:35:17 »
Just out of curiosity does anyone happen to have a flat acrylic bottom they'd be willing to sell?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline slushi

« Reply #924 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:21:17 »
Along the same lines, if anyone has a black aluminum bottom they would like to sell, I'd gladly overpay for it lol.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #925 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:28:38 »
Just out of curiosity does anyone happen to have a flat acrylic bottom they'd be willing to sell?

I have a flat acrylic bottom that I would like to trade. Its my only bottom :-[

Offline missalaire

« Reply #926 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:54:49 »

I have a flat acrylic bottom that I would like to trade. Its my only bottom :-[

I have a black aluminum bottom, but unfortunately not looking to sell or trade it :/

I just want a flat acrylic bottom that I can swap out to if I fancy.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline ika

« Reply #927 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 20:55:08 »

pls fix your link! is your method shaving the plastic housings?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #928 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 21:20:43 »
Just some photos..

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #929 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 22:50:16 »
Just some photos..

Show Image

Show Image

which alps caps?

Offline E3E

« Reply #930 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 08:47:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah I know, by no means was I trying to talk bad about r/MK. I'm not a fan though, I don't see people there appreciate keyboards as much as Geekhack if I'm honest. I spent about 10 hours prepping, building, and keymapping my RS96 and post it on reddit to get about 20 upvotes and then have somebody post there unicorn puke Pok3r and it his the front page of r/MK. I honestly don't really care about upvotes, never did but it's the fact that Pok3r with random ass keycaps than an a custom keyboard, an Orion, an RS96, etc.

Heh. It's subjective, imo, but to be honest, I've had my builds and things I have labored on for days seemingly ignored on GeekHack too, probably because I have a **** camera or something. So I really don't know what to say there. I often feel overlooked, but that's likely a stupid inferiority complex I've developed. That's neither here nor there. My Octagon and Lightpad w/ Jukebox got some pretty nice karma, but yeah. Er, though that GIF of kacase's Orion's RGB lighting got pretty popular.

It depends really. I don't think they are always as smitten by customs as we are. In that respect, I do agree to an extent. I'm generally not a fan of commercial boards these days and could care less about Pok3rs and the like. There's no appeal there for me compared to custom builds and projects.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #931 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 14:49:01 »
Just assembled mine and I have some problems with the screws. I have the flat acryllic backplate and the 4 long screws that you are supposed to screw in the corner won't go all the way down. At some point they just won't go further down and unfortunately I learned that the hard way and one of my screws just broke off after I tried tried to tighten it even more in an attempt to make it go all the way down. Now I have half of a screw stuck in my top housing. However the 4 small screws worked just fine. My plan is to get similar screws that I can screw into the 3 corners that I have left and just leave that one corner screw alone and treat it as a cosmetic defect.

Anyway back to the point, anyone had similar problems where the 4 corner screws wouldn't go all the way down?

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #932 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:27:07 »
Just assembled mine and I have some problems with the screws. I have the flat acryllic backplate and the 4 long screws that you are supposed to screw in the corner won't go all the way down. At some point they just won't go further down and unfortunately I learned that the hard way and one of my screws just broke off after I tried tried to tighten it even more in an attempt to make it go all the way down. Now I have half of a screw stuck in my top housing. However the 4 small screws worked just fine. My plan is to get similar screws that I can screw into the 3 corners that I have left and just leave that one corner screw alone and treat it as a cosmetic defect.

Anyway back to the point, anyone had similar problems where the 4 corner screws wouldn't go all the way down?

I looked and it seems like duck didn't include enough screws for the flat acrylic plate. The case screws given to me were all four long and four short which is fine for the other two bottom cases. Flat bottom needs 8 short.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #933 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:44:38 »
This is why I was confused, the screw count seemed exactly right. Well I ****ed up. Gotta get more flat screws now and later see how to remove the broken one...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #934 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:56:33 »
retracted
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2015, 10:50:33 by digi »

Offline filphil

« Reply #935 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:18:53 »
This is why I was confused, the screw count seemed exactly right. Well I ****ed up. Gotta get more flat screws now and later see how to remove the broken one...

You can use a manual screw extractor set.  They're pretty inexpensive from home depot/lowes type stores and a good thing to have around the house.  Just make sure you start with the smallest size and work your way up if need be. 

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #936 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 17:57:28 »
I haven't heard of that, sounds interesting. Thank you!

Offline E3E

« Reply #937 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 18:06:12 »
Will trade a Clack for an unbuilt kit, pm for details.

:rolleyes:

Offline elton5354

« Reply #938 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:06:33 »

I looked and it seems like duck didn't include enough screws for the flat acrylic plate. The case screws given to me were all four long and four short which is fine for the other two bottom cases. Flat bottom needs 8 short.

Wow, I'm definitely going to address this back to truecustom.  :-[

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #939 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 10:51:24 »

Offline Want

« Reply #940 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 10:54:41 »
Never did I imagine the flat acrylic to look so good. Nice job mang.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #941 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 10:56:31 »

Just some photos..

Show Image

Show Image

I can't believe I didn't investigate this buy thinking it didn't have any Alps support :'(

You just need some Blues in a case that beautiful!

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #942 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 12:32:48 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

10/10 well done!

What camera did you use?

Offline missalaire

« Reply #943 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 14:11:35 »
Never did I imagine the flat acrylic to look so good. Nice job mang.

Same, until I saw this: http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?document_srl=2381083&mid=board_Lsno50

Makes me really regret not getting the flat acrylic bottom in the first place. Funds were tighter at the start of the group buy, but now I really realize how cheap that option was :/

Someone sell me your flat acrylic bottom!

Offline Ahkrael

« Reply #944 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 14:41:31 »
To be fair, I think if someone were to plan on DIY'ing any style of bottom, the clear acrylic wouldn't be the hardest to manage.  I mean you could get a piece cut with the right dimensions and rig it up somewhat.

Offline slushi

« Reply #945 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 14:44:57 »
Seeing all these Orions get built makes me so jealous haha. I can't wait to get mine but it looks like the second batch wont be for a while.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #946 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 14:57:20 »
10/10 well done!

What camera did you use?

Nikon D5200 with a Sigma 50MM F1.4EX.

Thanks!

Offline R1N3

« Reply #947 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 16:13:43 »
To be fair, I think if someone were to plan on DIY'ing any style of bottom, the clear acrylic wouldn't be the hardest to manage.  I mean you could get a piece cut with the right dimensions and rig it up somewhat.
Was there another update I missed?

Offline filphil

« Reply #948 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 16:17:18 »

Negative.  Jut that the flat acrylic plate was the underdog of the bottom plates but it looks great. 

10/10 well done!

What camera did you use?

Thanks!

Do you use an ikea table too?  It looks like the same grain/pattern and color as mine,  :))

Offline R1N3

« Reply #949 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 16:26:59 »

Negative.  Jut that the flat acrylic plate was the underdog of the bottom plates but it looks great. 

10/10 well done!

What camera did you use?

Thanks!

Do you use an ikea table too?  It looks like the same grain/pattern and color as mine,  :))
They all look so good! The exposed pcb gives the flat bottom a completely different sex appeal though.. especially for the price point