Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3509218 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #4450 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 08:19:15 »
thx. the switches are brown, i dont like the feel of black or red. to my knowledge the switches shouldnt affect gaming though, am i wrong?
it doesnt happen when typing normally, only happens when gaming. not sure if its related to apm either, since brood war takes a lot of apm but dota doesnt really require you to press a lot of keys
and im definitely pressing enough for the keys to register. sometimes i purposely press harder than i would than when typing just to make sure it registers, but still no luck.

What keyboard is it? Maybe there's a key roll over problem. You can search for "xkro" to skip to the part that explains key roll over.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a Terran eagle keycap. I know feng sells the shield, but I prefer the eagle symbol.

I thought feng had the eagle symbol on his eBay site as well as the shield. Otherwise, you can ask Shadovved. I know he had a bunch of sets at one point and maybe he still has some. And that is BY FAR MY FAVORITE IRON MAIDEN ALBUM <3. Up the irons!

Offline homojomo

« Reply #4451 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:13:22 »
thx. the switches are brown, i dont like the feel of black or red. to my knowledge the switches shouldnt affect gaming though, am i wrong?
it doesnt happen when typing normally, only happens when gaming. not sure if its related to apm either, since brood war takes a lot of apm but dota doesnt really require you to press a lot of keys
and im definitely pressing enough for the keys to register. sometimes i purposely press harder than i would than when typing just to make sure it registers, but still no luck.

What keyboard is it? Maybe there's a key roll over problem. You can search for "xkro" to skip to the part that explains key roll over.

mstone sb74. a korean keyboard. really not much info on it, though i did read 5 keys + somewhere
but the rollover thing shouldnt matter when im using my mouse in between keys. ie mouse click gateway, z, mouse click gateway, z, mouse click gateway, z

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4452 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:27:59 »
mstone sb74. a korean keyboard. really not much info on it, though i did read 5 keys + somewhere
but the rollover thing shouldnt matter when im using my mouse in between keys. ie mouse click gateway, z, mouse click gateway, z, mouse click gateway, z

Hm, according to this thread, it should have 6KRO over USB and NKRO over PS/2. *Maybe* hysteresis issues with the Browns? But I played SC2 with Blues and had no issue. Or maybe theres a debounce/chatter issue in the firmware itself. I'm not sure.

And key roller over matters if you're like me or any other Starcraft player and you mash keys like crazy. I used to spam like 120 APM at the start of the game for giggles. And you're playing BW so your APM is probably higher than mine.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4453 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 16:11:35 »
Would the PS2AVR87 PCB fit a QuickFire Rapid housing? If not, is there any full-LED 87-key PCB that will?

Thanks.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4454 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 16:52:10 »
could I get a second opinion other than my own, what profile is this space bar? I know the pics are awful best I can do at the moment.

38372-0

38374-1

38376-2

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #4455 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 17:07:29 »
could I get a second opinion other than my own, what profile is this space bar? I know the pics are awful best I can do at the moment.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

look like OEM

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4456 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 17:13:38 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can you take the picture again with a known profile cap next to it? Like Cherry or SP DCS?

1) Would the PS2AVR87 PCB fit a QuickFire Rapid housing?
2) If not, is there any full-LED 87-key PCB that will?

1) No, The_Beast and Sifo both confirm that the Function row to Number row spacing are mismatched and won't fit a QFR case. They both own the PCBs.
2) And no, The_Beast, Sifo, and I couldn't think of a PCB that meets the requirement. You might be able to mod a Ducky PCB to fit the QFR case though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 17:17:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4457 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 19:35:04 »
Aww, sucks. Thanks for the info.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4458 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 06:49:01 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can you take the picture again with a known profile cap next to it? Like Cherry or SP DCS?

I tried....so are these same profile or not?

38446-0

38448-1

38486-2

38488-3

38490-4

38492-5

38494-6
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 October 2013, 11:01:58 by SpAmRaY »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4459 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 11:12:46 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I tried....so are these same profile or not?

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Going to guess an OEM from those pictures.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #4460 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 15:26:44 »
Probabilly this is the wrong place to post this, but I didn't know where else to post. My apologies.
How is the build quality of the Keycool 108 II backlit compared to Ducky Zero Shine's?
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4461 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 16:05:09 »
Probabilly this is the wrong place to post this, but I didn't know where else to post. My apologies.
How is the build quality of the Keycool 108 II backlit compared to Ducky Zero Shine's?

Perhaps not the best one to reply, as I have a KeyCool 87 and Ducky Shine 1 (full size), but the Ducky would probably have the edge, although I wouldn't say there was anything intrinsically wrong with either of them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ch0nG

« Reply #4462 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 23:10:58 »
Does anyone know when the next MassDrop for the ErgoDox could be?
How is the ErgoDox in regards to portability? I'm interested in taking it to work but don't want to leave it.

In case anyone wants to steer me towards something else, my main reasons for getting an ErgoDox are:
- Size, it seems much smaller and more portable.
- Programmability. I've messed with Colemak and really like it, I'm not good at it yet but it's coming along OK. :p
Also, I thought about buying a WASD V2 TKL but then I thought "Why not just get an Ergodox that is 100% programmable?". Of course, the ErgoDox is twice the price of a WASD V2 TKL.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 October 2013, 23:13:54 by Ch0nG »
Das Ultimate - Blues - Converted to removable USB (Mimic-Cables) - 40 A-L WASD ORings
ErgoDox - ErgoClears ErgoDox - 65g Blues

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4463 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 23:58:12 »
How is the ErgoDox in regards to portability? I'm interested in taking it to work but don't want to leave it.

In case anyone wants to steer me towards something else, my main reasons for getting an ErgoDox are:
- Size, it seems much smaller and more portable.
- Programmability. I've messed with Colemak and really like it, I'm not good at it yet but it's coming along OK. :p
Also, I thought about buying a WASD V2 TKL but then I thought "Why not just get an Ergodox that is 100% programmable?". Of course, the ErgoDox is twice the price of a WASD V2 TKL.
I'm working on the ErgoTravel, which has all the features of hte ErgoDox, except the thumb cluster and is designed to be something you can carry off the work.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4464 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 01:16:23 »
Can't speak to the rest of it, but they've been averaging every 6+ weeks between end-of-last and beginning-of-next, plus the week or so they're collecting buyers in the middle.

So, as near as I can tell, "Really soon"

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline 9-bit

• Looking for blank white keycaps
« Reply #4465 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 01:55:03 »
Do the majority of keyboards work with mac? I had a bad experience with the Noppo choco, so I just wanted to make sure filco/keycool boards would work with it, before I drop the dough. Thanks!

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4466 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 02:24:44 »
Do the majority of keyboards work with mac? I had a bad experience with the Noppo choco, so I just wanted to make sure filco/keycool boards would work with it, before I drop the dough. Thanks!

I know the Filco does.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4467 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 05:04:42 »

I have successfully used the following with a Mac:
  • Ducky Shine
  • KeyCool 87
  • HHKB Pro 2
  • Model M
  • QFR

Now that I have a PS/2 to USB adaptor, I would like to try:
  • NEC APC-H4100E
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4468 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 07:56:46 »
Are there diodes already on the KMAC PCB from Originative?  Sherryton told me I don't need diodes, but the KMAC DIY thread talks about installing diodes?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4469 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 08:03:04 »
Are there diodes already on the KMAC PCB from Originative?  Sherryton told me I don't need diodes, but the KMAC DIY thread talks about installing diodes?

Originative is down so I can't double check what KMAC you're referring to. I'm not sure if all the KMAC PCBs come pre populated but there's the KMAC, KMAC LE, KMAC2, KMAC Happy, and KMAC 1.2. I don't know if all of them are the same. My KMAC LE didn't have diodes preinstalled. And I imagine as owner of Originative, Sherryton would know his own products.

Offline Ch0nG

« Reply #4470 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 08:19:22 »
as near as I can tell, "Really soon"

Cool. Thanks for the input.  :thumb:

I'm working on the ErgoTravel, which has all the features of hte ErgoDox, except the thumb cluster and is designed to be something you can carry off the work.

That looks great! I might just wait until there is a GB for that. Decisions decisions...
Das Ultimate - Blues - Converted to removable USB (Mimic-Cables) - 40 A-L WASD ORings
ErgoDox - ErgoClears ErgoDox - 65g Blues

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4471 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 08:34:37 »

Originative is down so I can't double check what KMAC you're referring to. I'm not sure if all the KMAC PCBs come pre populated but there's the KMAC, KMAC LE, KMAC2, KMAC Happy, and KMAC 1.2. I don't know if all of them are the same. My KMAC LE didn't have diodes preinstalled. And I imagine as owner of Originative, Sherryton would know his own products.

I have the KMAC 2. No offense meant to sherryton ofc! Sherryton was great to deal with and the package arrived in immaculate condition. I was just confused and looking to clarify my confusion!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4472 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 08:42:58 »
I have the KMAC 2. the package arrived in immaculate condition.

Oh if you have it in hand, just snap a picture of the PCB and we'll be able to tell if you diodes are already populated.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4473 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 09:17:57 »
Man CPT thanks for always being here to answer my dumbass questions. If this thread wasn't here I'd probably have started 20 of my own

Offline 9-bit

• Looking for blank white keycaps
« Reply #4474 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:38:40 »

I know the Filco does.
Alright thank you! I might be getting one soon! Super excited.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4475 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:54:39 »
Man CPT thanks for always being here to answer my dumbass questions. If this thread wasn't here I'd probably have started 20 of my own

No worries! Glad myself and the community have this and other outlets to help people :D.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4476 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 17:43:46 »
So I have a guy here at work with a space bar that he says is traveling OK but doesn't seem to trigger a keystroke.  He says that he hasn't spilled anything in it and has never had the caps off.  Any suggestions?  I am going to try and pull it off and have a look.  It is on a 2 or 3 year old HP laptop.  By his description and me showing him a couple pics I believe it is scissor switches not chick let key.  How much of a pain are those to pull the space bar?  Anything I need to be aware of?  Going to try this at lunch break breaking in about 4 hours.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4477 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 18:27:11 »
So I have a guy here at work with a space bar that he says is traveling OK but doesn't seem to trigger a keystroke.  He says that he hasn't spilled anything in it and has never had the caps off.  Any suggestions?  I am going to try and pull it off and have a look.  It is on a 2 or 3 year old HP laptop.  By his description and me showing him a couple pics I believe it is scissor switches not chick let key.  How much of a pain are those to pull the space bar?  Anything I need to be aware of?  Going to try this at lunch break breaking in about 4 hours.

Melvang, could be dust trapped between the spacebar and whatever it's connected to. Probably just needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4478 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 22:54:44 »

Maybe too late, but: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12153.0

I have removed a few scissor switch keycaps from one of my Apple aluminium keyboards.  It is not too difficult if you take your time and be careful.  Once you have done one or two, it becomes much easier.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4479 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 03:06:11 »

Oh if you have it in hand, just snap a picture of the PCB and we'll be able to tell if you diodes are already populated.

Hi CPT!! Attached pic of PCB.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4480 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 07:24:53 »

Huh, it doesn't look like there are diodes on that PCB. Looks like my PCB before I built it up. If there were pre-populated diodes, they'd probably be SMD, soldered right above the switch name. So for example, above "Delete", there's 2 horizontal holes with a little box between them? Through hole diodes fit in those horizontal holes and SMD diodes go in the little box. And just be aware you have sacrificial edges on that PCB you'll have to break off so the PCB fits into a case.

Offline bMind

« Reply #4481 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 07:41:21 »
Q: If I plan to change keycaps and have reasonable mod capabilities should I go for QuickFire Rapid or TK? Or there is something else I should look at that is TKL, preferably has backlit keys (yeah I know Rapid does not ;)), allows easy modding and is available in reasonable price in Europe?
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 October 2013, 08:03:38 by bMind »
in flames we trust..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4482 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 08:20:25 »
Q: If I plan to change keycaps and have reasonable mod capabilities should I go for QuickFire Rapid or TK? Or there is something else I should look at that is TKL, preferably has backlit keys (yeah I know Rapid does not ;)), allows easy modding and is available in reasonable price in Europe?

First mechanical keyboard? I definitely recommend the QuickFire Rapid. Especially if you plan on changing caps. The TK modifier row doesn't allow you to change keycaps because the sizing is very odd. I think it's 6.2x spacebar, not a 6.25x. There's literally no way you can swap the modifiers around it or the spacebar unless you mod keycaps to fit.

Offline bMind

« Reply #4483 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 08:46:35 »

First mechanical keyboard? I definitely recommend the QuickFire Rapid. Especially if you plan on changing caps. The TK modifier row doesn't allow you to change keycaps because the sizing is very odd. I think it's 6.2x spacebar, not a 6.25x. There's literally no way you can swap the modifiers around it or the spacebar unless you mod keycaps to fit.

Yes, this will be first click clack for me :) I really wanted Ducky Shine 3..especially that it will soon be available a TKL version, but I'm really fed up discussing/arranging the shipping and payment at TigerImports..so I think I'll pick something that is available here in Poland. And I can get QFR or QFTK and maybe soon QF Stealth here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 October 2013, 09:04:20 by bMind »
in flames we trust..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4484 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:19:28 »
Yes, this will be first click clack for me :) I really wanted Ducky Shine 3..especially that it will soon be available a TKL version, but I'm really fed up discussing/arranging the shipping and payment at TigerImports

Surprised you had a bad experience with TigerImports. They're the same company as Mechanicalkeyboards.com. Have you talked to ShakeR or JoshMK here on GH?

Offline bMind

« Reply #4485 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:50:46 »
Surprised you had a bad experience with TigerImports. They're the same company as Mechanicalkeyboards.com. Have you talked to ShakeR or JoshMK here on GH?

Yeah, I know they're the same company and no, I haven't talked to any of the guys. After a week of emails going back and forth with the sales rep that picked up my question I really kinda lost will to continue.
in flames we trust..

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4486 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:59:33 »
goobus, there are diodes already installed on that pcb. See the photo below :

The little black rectangles that are soldered on are the diodes.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4487 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 14:17:04 »
Quick question

How do I figure out what size my spacebar is?

Mainly to know if my keycool 84's spacebar is 6.25x

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4488 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 14:21:30 »
Quick question

How do I figure out what size my spacebar is?

Mainly to know if my keycool 84's spacebar is 6.25x
There are 16 1x keys on the keycools top row. So, the size of an entire row is 16x.
On the bottom row you can see six 1x keys, and three 1.25x keys (and of course the spacebar)
16-(6x1)-(3x1.25)
=16-6-3.75
=16-9.75
=6.25

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 October 2013, 14:39:02 by Photekq »
github

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4489 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 14:31:33 »
It does. Thank you

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4490 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 14:37:01 »
Miscounted the keys in the top row... Edited :))
github

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4491 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 15:07:25 »
Miscounted the keys in the top row... Edited :))

But your math was wrong too so it worked out in the end

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4492 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:06:55 »

goobus, there are diodes already installed on that pcb. See the photo below :
Show Image

The little black rectangles that are soldered on are the diodes.

Um are you sure Photekq? Look at the largest version of the picture in the post I linked. At F, there's an SMD component installed and then F looks blank. I know the diodes are kinda hard to see when they're installed but they're not completely black. And at Caps there's an SMD diode installed.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4493 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:15:55 »
Those black things under each switch hole are SMD diodes. I can take a picture of them on my PCB if you want.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4494 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:18:52 »
Those black spaces are where the SMD diodes can go. I'm not convinced that they're actually there.  Think we need a better angle/picture from goodbus. And sure, take a picture. I have a KMAC PCB too and it looked empty like that. Although I'm not sure since the solder joints do look melted.

Edit: Dorkvader and Sifo agree with Photekq though so apparently I'm being outvoted. goobus, just run your hand along that spot. Is there something there or does it feel like the rest of the PCB?
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:20:52 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4495 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:21:36 »
My SMD diodes are totally black, and I'm totally convinced that those black 'spaces' are in fact the diodes. I bought my ver1.4 PCB, the same one goobus has, from kbdmod, and it came with diodes presoldered.

Will take a photo shortly..
github

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4496 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:25:09 »
Looks to me that the board is fully (or almost fully) populated with SMD diodes. The solder joints would look different if there were nothing there. They would be symmetrical rounded squares, yhou can see how the sodler has wicked up to the component in the way the light reflects.

Here's a link to the large version:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=40501.0;attach=38753;image

You can even see printing on some (lctrl, D, ralt etc.)

I dont think capslock has a diode on the KMAC's.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4497 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:59:16 »
Bad photo but..
github

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4498 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:37:30 »
Does the Cherry G80-11900 have the same PCB mounted switches with no plate? I feel like modding a keyboard but don't feel like buying a soldering iron just yet.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #4499 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 23:01:19 »
which cherry board can I get the doubleshot keycaps that have gray mod?  I can only found 1 on ebay, but the price is really expensive  :( all other have white or black