Author Topic: What did you add to your Keyboard today? - Post Your Pics  (Read 4577691 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: What did you add to your Keyboard today? - Post Your Pics
« Reply #4300 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:19:07 »
Someone did it! Swiggity.
I love Elzy

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #4301 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:21:53 »
please pardon the logitech g13 (I need to ebay it) and the finger nail clippers :D
I was so excited when I got home from work to take pics because I knew the epoxy would be done.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4302 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:32:51 »
Unicomp key caps for Model M, Super Cheap!

- LCTRL Caps Lock Swap
- Red Alert Pearl Geek Hack key on escape

Show Image

Control is now in the correct position along with RALT = Win key thanks to Soarer converter I just assembled and added and configured :D

Show Image

Is that the $25 full printed set you acquired, or just the GH Esc, and alternative Caps and Ctrl keys?

just the geekhack key and the alt ctrl/caps. i was thinking of getting the grey full set for another model m i need to restore from horrible condition.

Boba Fett

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

SWEEET

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #4304 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 22:44:45 »
Boba Fett

Totally doing this right frickin' now!!!  Mind blown with power of a whale giving birth to a roaring T-Rex upper-cutting a Play-do can!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4305 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 23:12:46 »
use a drill bit to remove the lego center post.
then use a bench grinder to remove the stem from the donor cap leaving just enough of the stem to allow it to stand on it's own.
tack it in place with some 5 minute epoxy then fill it to the top of the support braces with 12 hour epoxy

Offline bianco

« Reply #4306 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 04:54:48 »
quite difficult to get everything from this long kb in focus...

changed to raindrop set
gray ducky alpha keys
translucent LoD and clouds from keypop.net

really missing tsangan kit from the raindrop set  :(

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #4307 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:02:38 »
many LoD  :p
with raindrop tsangan maybe looks very great

Offline bianco

« Reply #4308 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:05:17 »
many LoD  :p
with raindrop tsangan maybe looks very great

yeah... can't get enough!
that is true, but it's quite hard to find!  :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4309 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:10:54 »
quite difficult to get everything from this long kb in focus...

changed to raindrop set
gray ducky alpha keys
translucent LoD and clouds from keypop.net

really missing tsangan kit from the raindrop set  :(

Show Image

That actually looks really nice! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Larken

« Reply #4310 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:14:41 »
something I've been working on for a while - actual wood tops for the ergodox.

Still need another coat of varnish and about 3 weeks to cure before I can polish it to a satin sheen.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline bianco

« Reply #4311 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:31:53 »

That actually looks really nice! :)

thank you!
the R4 just bugs me though
the search for the raindrop tsangan set continues...  ;)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4312 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:36:44 »

Show Image

Still need another coat of varnish and about 3 weeks to cure before I can polish it to a satin sheen.

Looks amazing.  Call me crazy though but i think a mahogany or a walnut would look very nice with those caps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #4313 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:41:33 »
Boba Fett

i actually have about 40 of these i have made ready to sell lol

ive been sat on them for a while waiting to launch them as ive been doing some other things first
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Larken

« Reply #4314 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 06:04:13 »

Show Image

Looks amazing.  Call me crazy though but i think a mahogany or a walnut would look very nice with those caps.

not at all crazy. I agree that a darker shade would look better in retrospect.

It's my first time staining and finishing wood, so I didn't know what exactly to expect, given I read that birch didn't take to stains kindly. Did a few samples, and decided to go with something a little brighter (read: more garish) with the chestnut stain (something akin to a redwood when used on pine), and ended up with this. The varnish brightened it up to a orangy brown, which provided a contrast to the darker retro keycaps.

Overall, rather pleased with the results, as this was a small experimental foray into finishing wood, but I would definitely agree that actual walnut/mahogany would look classier.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Online kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4316 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 06:41:01 »
Looks good Larken. Will you remove the top acrylic plate or leave it on. How does it feel typing on it with the keys inset?

It's not to late if you wanted to darken the finish. There are finishes than have toners already in them or you could mix a color in the finish you're already using. You have to be careful with them however because if the finish isn't applied evenly it will show. They also make the grain more obscure because they are not absorbed into the wood but lay on the surface.

Offline bigx333

« Reply #4317 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 07:18:29 »
Nevermind, wrong topic, delete please =(
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2013, 07:21:12 by bigx333 »
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4318 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 07:20:00 »
Boba Fett

i actually have about 40 of these i have made ready to sell lol

ive been sat on them for a while waiting to launch them as ive been doing some other things first

what! hook me up bro!!  ;D

Offline Larken

« Reply #4319 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 07:25:19 »
Looks good Larken. Will you remove the top acrylic plate or leave it on. How does it feel typing on it with the keys inset?

It's not to late if you wanted to darken the finish. There are finishes than have toners already in them or you could mix a color in the finish you're already using. You have to be careful with them however because if the finish isn't applied evenly it will show. They also make the grain more obscure because they are not absorbed into the wood but lay on the surface.

Doesn't feel right typing with those plates on, though I suspect it'll be better if I actually bolt the plates in, but I actually have no plans to increase the thickness. (but I might have to leave at least one extra plate on, or find new bolts, due to the amount of thickness I had to sand off for the prep work; pretty sure it isn't a 3mm plate right now). Might look to countersinking these in the future when I have the time to look into it.

But if it goes according to plan, I would be replacing the top plates once the polyurethane finishes its curing period, but I'm planning to sand it down with a 320 grit once more before doing a final coat, then wait for about 3 weeks before sanding up to 1000 grit for a satin sheen. (I heard this was called 'rubbing out'? :D)

I did face the problem of the grain getting blotchy on one of my scrap tests where I stained about 5 layers (just to see what happens - it was a mess of dark brown with hazy, hard to spot grain), which was why I stopped the stains at about 3 coats and began the finishing instead. Even then, birch doesn't seem have the most beautiful grain to start with. It was however, pretty interesting and fun to learn something new  :)

I'll test out mixing the stain and finish on my test scrap and see what happens before I do the final finish on the plates itself - I would like the plates to be a darker shade if possible, but I wouldn't want to risk ruining it (basically, this is like applying a layer of slightly colored, semi-translucent polyurethane, right?).

Online kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4320 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 07:53:25 »
Birch can be beautiful but the finish is unpredictable, especially on smaller pieces. The undulation of the endgrain causes the stain to absorb unevenly. Some have had success pre-sealing the wood then sanding out before staining Finishing wood, especially the staining, can be very frustrating. In the business, you can tell if I am trying to persuade or dissuade someone from staining birch by the language. Whether I call it an unsightly blotchy look or a lovely mottled texture affect how people respond. Whenever possible I prefer to use a wood that already has the right shade that only needs to be enhanced with a clear finish.

Mixing stain with finish probably won't help. It will be too diluted. It should be a tint or dye especially made for that purpose.

Good workmanship on the wood. I think it's worth it to countersink the screws.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4321 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 08:05:46 »

Show Image

Plywood or solid hardwood?

birch sucks to stain, it's extremely blotchy which can be good sometimes, but not always. You might want to try a dye instead of a stain since it penetrates more and doesn't hide as much grain.

As for end grain absorbing more, sand to a few higher grits than on the rest of the piece. I've heard this makes the endgrain smoother and thus don't allow it to absorb as much of the finish/stain so it will have a more consistent look.

Also, I think it's called a French polish and you use super fine pumice to rub out the finish.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Larken

« Reply #4322 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 08:44:21 »
Birch can be beautiful but the finish is unpredictable, especially on smaller pieces. The undulation of the endgrain causes the stain to absorb unevenly. Some have had success pre-sealing the wood then sanding out before staining Finishing wood, especially the staining, can be very frustrating. In the business, you can tell if I am trying to persuade or dissuade someone from staining birch by the language. Whether I call it an unsightly blotchy look or a lovely mottled texture affect how people respond. Whenever possible I prefer to use a wood that already has the right shade that only needs to be enhanced with a clear finish.

Mixing stain with finish probably won't help. It will be too diluted. It should be a tint or dye especially made for that purpose.

Good workmanship on the wood. I think it's worth it to countersink the screws.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the insight on the finishing. In that case, I would probably leave it as it is and finish up with one more layer of varnish before I let the finish start curing. I had no idea it takes so long for the finish to completely cure - makes me appreciate the time and expertise  put in by craftsmen altogether.

I did do a good bit of research before I started on it, and read that birch was one of the harder woods to stain, with most recommended an aniline dye mixed with shellac instead (both of which requires a good deal of effort to source compared to buying a can of varathane from a hardware store). There was also mention of using a conditioner, but I figured on a 3mm 3 layer birch plywood, using a conditioner (recommended by some) would be a bad idea as the layers are so thin that it would probably prevent the plate from absorbing the stains at all.

I do agree on the point of not trying to emulate a different wood using stains; but that was a lesson I learnt after the fact, as I had no idea what the birch would look like in the first place. All in all, it was a very interesting experiment for me.

Plywood or solid hardwood?

birch sucks to stain, it's extremely blotchy which can be good sometimes, but not always. You might want to try a dye instead of a stain since it penetrates more and doesn't hide as much grain.

As for end grain absorbing more, sand to a few higher grits than on the rest of the piece. I've heard this makes the endgrain smoother and thus don't allow it to absorb as much of the finish/stain so it will have a more consistent look.

Also, I think it's called a French polish and you use super fine pumice to rub out the finish.

It was laser cut baltic birch plywood. Not a choice of wood I would think of using again, if I ever do anything similar in the future. The finishing, like kurplop said, was rather unpredictable. I had no idea what it would look like until I finished with it.

I probably owe thanks to both you and kurplop while working on this; perusing your forum's project logs and kurplop's worklog on his ergodox tray had given me a good idea as to how the sanding process should be, and how it should look prior to even thinking about staining. Thanks!

The back plates definitely have more 'character' since I was a little more heavy handed with the staining.

I found that the blotches occur at certain spots of the wood when the grain seems a little 'hairy', for lack of a better word. I assumed its part of how the wood's characteristics, as I did spot it prior to staining, and some additional sanding specific to that spot didn't actually do anything to help.

It's reverse side, which I think looks cleaner in comparison (purposely left a lighter shade and I did some grain raising on this side before I stained it):

Given how the plates are reversible anyway, it's not a big issue. Though I don't actually know which side I like better   ;D.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4323 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 05:40:10 »
For this, I have forsaken my Topre yellow Esc :eek:

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4324 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 17:30:26 »
A trial of the RGB and Y keys on my KeyCool currently at work:

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4325 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 21:17:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

Never even thought to mix up those Ivan and EK mods.... MIND BLOWN!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4326 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 21:25:23 »
The main reason why I got both :)

But the bottom row looked a bit weird with too much purple, so I took the purple off.  Looks cleaner now.

I shoulda brought my QWERkeys fuchsia (really pink) Fn key in too, except the Fn key on the KeyCool is actually the right Win key, not the menu key as on most other keyboards.  Maybe another day ...

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #4327 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:14:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

Oh man! I absolutely love that, dood! I thought about doing it but never actually got to see it! Good to see someone actually did it!!! Jelly. I now kind of really want those purple mods now :P

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note, I added vintage black switches, 62g Korean group buy springs, Krytox mix lube, Victorinox lube for springs, Super lube for stabilizers, a Grey top case over the Black one I had before, and universal TKL stainless steel plate to my QFR reds! Took all day but faster than my Ergo Clear mod on my Filco :P

I heard from a CM representative that a batch of QFR's had bad soldering jobs on the left Alt's... Looks like I fell victim... The solder was barely connected to the PCB and was just hanging there to an almost unattached eyelit. I would've never known had I never opened the keyboard... When I desoldered it, the entire eyelit just fell off and I actually lost and ONLY FOUND IT AFTER I HAD FINISHED PUTTING THE KEYBOARD TOGETHER LIKE 8 HOURS LATER. THE IRONY. At first I thought, "well ****... looks like I won't have a working left Alt..." but then I had to Macguyver moment and used solder to create artificial wires to connect to the PCB by exposing the connection because of a lack of an eyelit... Thank God it worked. Felt boss for a few seconds ;)

FEELS LIKE BUTTER.

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:51:10 by VesperSAINT »

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #4328 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:47:51 »
^ Such a winner  :cool:.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4329 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:49:52 »
Damn nice work, very nice and minimalistic result!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4330 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 02:10:52 »
^ Such a winner  :cool:.

You the winner *blush*

Damn nice work, very nice and minimalistic result!

Thanks, dood! Happy with the results too :)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4331 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:26:47 »
BTDT, but I love deez mods!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #4332 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:44:20 »
I finally made some time this afternoon to mod my QFR:
  • R1 WFD custom plate (from Photekq)
  • vintage browns and a clear for the space bar (from GON)
  • some blues with black springs to the caps lock, scroll lock, and F9 (for the Win key lock)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4333 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:51:46 »
My keyboard got some wood!  ;D

28549-0

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #4334 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:57:09 »

(Attachment Link)

Cool Ray!  Where'd you get that?  Oh and would mind posting a picture of the underside? ;D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4335 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 10:04:51 »
On another note, I added vintage black switches, 62g Korean group buy springs, Krytox mix lube, Victorinox lube for springs, Super lube for stabilizers, a Grey top case over the Black one I had before, and universal TKL stainless steel plate to my QFR reds! Took all day but faster than my Ergo Clear mod on my Filco :P

Nice!!! Love seeing other people's work in progress :D
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rurushu

« Reply #4336 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 10:09:20 »

(Attachment Link)
wow... how does that wood feel on the typing??

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #4337 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 10:15:12 »

I heard from a CM representative that a batch of QFR's had bad soldering jobs on the left Alt's... Looks like I fell victim... The solder was barely connected to the PCB and was just hanging there to an almost unattached eyelit. I would've never known had I never opened the keyboard... When I desoldered it, the entire eyelit just fell off and I actually lost and ONLY FOUND IT AFTER I HAD FINISHED PUTTING THE KEYBOARD TOGETHER LIKE 8 HOURS LATER. THE IRONY. At first I thought, "well ****... looks like I won't have a working left Alt..." but then I had to Macguyver moment and used solder to create artificial wires to connect to the PCB by exposing the connection because of a lack of an eyelit... Thank God it worked. Felt boss for a few seconds ;)

FEELS LIKE BUTTER.

It must feel really good. Congratulations, awesome work!

Man, where can I find that tool to remove top part of the switch?  :(

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4339 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 10:35:56 »

(Attachment Link)

Cool Ray!  Where'd you get that?  Oh and would mind posting a picture of the underside? ;D

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=295

I just bought it for the novelty factor, because I didn't know it existed and to throw some business at mechanicalkeyboards.com. And I know a guy who can make about anything outta wood if he has something to go off of!  ;D

It's a loose fit and was easily removed without a key puller.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 10:38:36 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4340 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 13:02:04 »
  • some blues with black springs to the caps lock, scroll lock, and F9 (for the Win key lock)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice to see that plate go to good use :) It looks really nice so far.

Also, vesper, yours looks great too.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline shadowness

« Reply #4341 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 14:06:06 »
Put on my newly arrived Filco Ninja keycaps on my Quickfire TK... yes it is not all compatible but this is what I want!  ;D

Thanks GeorgeK!

28592-0

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4342 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 14:13:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Ooo~ Awesome work on the mod! Vintage brownssss, I wonder how those feel in comparison to the newer ones! I also like how you added the Clear spacebar :)

Nice!!! Love seeing other people's work in progress :D

Thanks! It definitely is fun to see others' mods for sure. Once you start modding, you get to appreciate more of what it entails.

It must feel really good. Congratulations, awesome work!

Man, where can I find that tool to remove top part of the switch?  :(

Sure does feel good. They are absolutely butter. These will be great for gaming, that's for sure.

The switch removal tool was from The_Beast. Might want to go ask him :)

Also, vesper, yours looks great too.

Thanks, dood :)

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4344 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:04:02 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4345 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:38:42 »
This one looks a bit better with the pink (fuchsia?) Fn key:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4346 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:17:11 »

Show Image

It only gets better and better.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4347 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 19:46:18 »

Show Image

It only gets better and better.

Thanks! :)

That's what I meant to do yesterday, but forgot to bring the Fn key to work.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #4348 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:37:00 »
So yesterday I got my vinyl print in and went to try and apply it to my quickfire rapid.  I ended up getting really frustrated as I couldn't figure out a way to wrap the corners correctly.  I think this is because the stuff that people usually use vinyl wrap for (cars and interiors) don't have the same shape to them and its usually just something you can heat the vinyl wrap, pull, and tuck under.  Since I couldn't figure that out I just wanted to get it over with as I was spending hours on it.  In the process I managed to get a few air bubbles in here and there so it definitely could look much better but I still like it better than the stock grey.  I think next time I will try and either paint it myself or get someone else to paint it.

Also I apologize because I have the ****tiest lighting in my room.  I pretty much only have like a desk lamp or two and these are taken with my cell phone.

Here's the most obvious **** up between the arrow keys and the ctrl, as well as the area under it.

And here it is after I got the keycaps in today from CPTBadass. 

Not really sure if I want to keep the portal keepcaps and engraved arrow keys on but I wanted a little more than just light blue on dark blue.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #4349 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:16:24 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=295

(Attachment Link)

I just bought it for the novelty factor, because I didn't know it existed and to throw some business at mechanicalkeyboards.com. And I know a guy who can make about anything outta wood if he has something to go off of!  ;D

It's a loose fit and was easily removed without a key puller.
Thanks for that Ray!  I was wondering what the bottom looked like and how snuggly it fit. ;)

Ooo~ Awesome work on the mod! Vintage brownssss, I wonder how those feel in comparison to the newer ones! I also like how you added the Clear spacebar :)
Thanks VesperSAINT!  Congrats on your job well done as well!   I knew I should have taken more pictures while working haha  :))

I have browns on my Shine II and need a few weeks to observe.  Initially the vintage browns feel smoother but that was expected since they have been tuned by GON.

As for the clear space bar...I think my thumbs are too heavy to really notice hahaha

I'm liking the heavy clicky Caps Lock...thinking if I'll do the same for escape or drop in a clear...hmm...

Nice to see that plate go to good use :) It looks really nice so far.
Thanks buddy!  Took a while to decide on switches and make time to desolder/dolser but I finally got it installed! :cool: