Author Topic: [IC] Alps Revival - Keycaps, PCBs and much more  (Read 24544 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: [IC] Alps Revival - Keycaps, PCBs and much more
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:58:55 »
I'm all over this :) unfortunately I do no take part to GB anymore :P

anyway I can help with manufacturing the plates if there's interest/need.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:59:49 »
I can redesign the switch plate for Alps...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:01:47 »
I have some ALPS dxf if you need them.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:07:25 »

If you have one with the little stabilizer holes, that would be great. Otherwise, I have some drawings with Alps switch holes I can use. I can PM you my email address, if you don't have it.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:32:06 »
yes it is with those funky little stab holes. PM me your email, just in case.

Offline tree

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:39:08 »
I'm incredibly excited for this.

All we need to do to make this project work are the keycaps from Matias, and designing and manufacturing the switchplates! So, would it be expensive to make a small order of these custom switch plates? Something to note is that from the pictures czarek posted on deskthority, it looks as if the Matias switches might not be seated completely centred on his PCB, so any switch plate we make around his PCB will probably have to account for this (although the switch plate might render obsolete or solve this problem).

Let's make this happen! I'm not experienced in any of this stuff, but I'll try my best to help in any way I can, just let me know what I can do to speed this thing along~

Offline dante

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:42:47 »
Alps is a lot like Linux: Too many variants! :D

Offline pasph

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:21:48 »
let's make also a plate that don't require stabs, like your "bianca"
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:51:43 »
Here is the drawing file for Layer 3 (switch plate) with Alps switch holes. As always, stabilizers are optional on the 2-unit thumb keys. :)

in memoriam

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:27:04 »
Note that you should cut that Alps plate out of (at the thickest) 1/16" acrylic. 15 gauge aluminum (or 16–17 gauge steel) would be better.

For 1/16" acrylic, I think the simple rectangle shape isn’t quite ideal. I still need to do some testing though. Also, the width of the line that the laser itself cuts makes a big difference in the exact shape that should be sent to the cutter.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:33:56 by jacobolus »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 18:47:10 »
Note that you should cut that Alps plate out of (at the thickest) 1/16" acrylic. 15 gauge aluminum (or 16–17 gauge steel) would be better.

Y'know, this would have been a good addition to the GB I'm running -- too bad this was drawn up a little too late.

Maybe I'll just keep the file around, hmm? Come September I may include this with the standard fare. Granted, a solid block of stainless steel runs nigh $100 plus shipping -- ask me how I know (or peruse the 'post your ergodox thread).

Somebody should print that thing from thin acrylic as proof of concept, make sure the accidental-ALPS board likes where these holes would up. I'll probably print it to paper this weekend, cut out the holes with a razor and guestimate how I like it...But JDcarpe has always done excellent work so it's probably fine.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:38:23 »
I would recommend a small test first, since the Alps switches on the Ergodox don't fit in the exact same position as the Cherry switches.

Offline gotofbi

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:45:59 »
I would love to see SP Alps keycaps.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:51:15 »

I would recommend a small test first, since the Alps switches on the Ergodox don't fit in the exact same position as the Cherry switches.

Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Maybe I need to rethink the centers of those holes.

in memoriam

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:54:21 »
Oh, you’re probably going to need a custom PCB or hand-wire if you want an Alps ergodox.

Offline dante

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:55:32 »
what do you guys think of a poor/working man's kingsaver:

use a cm storm qfr case, and controller. Using a PCB built for it using stabilizers from a AT101?  It could be called the Dell Saver :D

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:56:51 »
Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Maybe I need to rethink the centers of those holes.

Like I said somebody needs to do a proof-of-concept with a physical plate ... but there' a cheap way to do this.

Print (on 8-1/5x11 paper) a 1:1 copy of one side of the proposed ALPS .DXF ... take an Xacto knife and carefully cut out the switch holes. Find a sizable hunk of stiff cardboard, and spraypaint or otherwise mark the edges of those switchholes. Bring the knife back and cut out the painted area, then cut enough around it you can see what you're doing. The edge shape of the drawing isn't in question so no need to be particular about that.

get at least four ALPS compatible switches, and shove them into the corners of the cardboard 'plate' -- and see if you can make the PCB fit onto the switch. From there your eyes should tell you, I'd expect, if some of the keys were just never going to line up.

Jacobulus: maybe not ... PCB mount work fine, as it turns out. But keeping the switches from rotating even a hair, as you solder them ... might prove difficult.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline engicoder

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:58:38 »
I would also be interested in some keycaps...I refurbed an old Zenith with complicated greens that needs some keycap love.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
[IC] Alps Revival - Keycaps, PCBs and much more
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:10:50 »
I just tried a Matias switch in an ErgoDox PCB, and the pins fit into the top two of the mirrored holes in the PCB. It looks like the center of the switch is about 1mm higher in relation to where the center of an MX switch would be. And of course, the pins of the switch being just slightly offset, the switch definitely wants to rotate in the hole, if not held in place by something (the plate). I could probably get the Alps switch hole in the exact position it needs to be over the PCB, but I need to look at some switch dimensions. Anyone have a spec sheet for Alps switches that shows dimensions of the pins, etc.?

in memoriam

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:45:33 »
See the file here, FuhuaAlpsSwitchDatasheet.jpg
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33298.0

Or directly embedded here, Forward Electronics / Fuhua Alps datasheet:

This datasheet shows the “SKBM” switch (so-called “simplified white Alps” or Fukka/Fuhua switch), but the dimensions are the same for Alps SKCL/SKCM and Matias switches as well.

Various other Alps clone switches have slightly different housings, but the same pin locations, keycap mount, and plate cutout.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:50:32 by jacobolus »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 19:06:58 »
Thank you very much, jacobolus. That's exactly what I need.

in memoriam

Offline mian2222

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 19:25:52 »
Just expressing interest. I have been thinking about an ALPs ergodox for a while.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:07:46 »
Note, if you’re using 1/16" acrylic for the plate, you don't want to make a rectangle quite tight to the shape suggested here, or you’ll put a lot of stress on the little plastic clips (since that’s is a bit thicker than the typical ~1.5mm plate). I need to do some more tests w/ lasercut 1/16" acrylic to figure out the ideal size and tolerances.

If you do just tell your laser cutter to cut a 15.5 x 12.8 mm rectangle, you’ll end up with a slightly bigger hole (since the laser has some thickness), so that might actually end up working okay.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:31:39 »
Okay, so according to my calculations, the switch holes needed to be moved exactly 0.83mm toward the holes for the switch pins. I have done that, and attached is the revised drawing which should line up the switch holes exactly where they need to be in relation to the pin holes in the PCB. The other layers may have to be adjusted accordingly, to allow for keycap clearance.

in memoriam

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:49:42 »
An ErgoDox with Alps would also require a new case, because of keys being shifted compared to Cherry MX, at least above the plate.
The case below the plate doesn't have to be different, but it would look better if it was. Some walls would be thinner and others thicker to compensate to give the PCB a good fit.

BTW, I am exploring the design of another keyboard inspired by the ErgoDox, fully with the intention to support both Cherry MX and Alps the way that ErgoDox sort'a does. I am quite restricted in that for a key to support both Alps and MX I am unable to rotate it, so Cherry MX would get some layout options that Alps won't. Here is my work space in QCad right now (left hand):
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:30:14 by Findecanor »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 00:20:50 »
Interesting stuff.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 01:02:08 »
I am quite restricted in that for a key to support both Alps and MX I am unable to rotate it, so Cherry MX would get some layout options that Alps won't.
I don’t understand. Can you elaborate a bit? You just mean that any Cherry keycap can go onto a switch in 4 directions, while Alps keycaps only fit 2 ways?

Offline tree

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 02:26:55 »
An ErgoDox with Alps would also require a new case, because of keys being shifted compared to Cherry MX, at least above the plate.
The case below the plate doesn't have to be different, but it would look better if it was. Some walls would be thinner and others thicker to compensate to give the PCB a good fit.

Hmmm does anyone know the vertical length between the foremost switch pin on a Cherry switch and the centre of a Cherry switch stem? We might be able to get away with just using regular Ergodox cases if the difference isn't that big.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 04:24:10 »

Hmmm does anyone know the vertical length between the foremost switch pin on a Cherry switch and the centre of a Cherry switch stem? We might be able to get away with just using regular Ergodox cases if the difference isn't that big.

Not sure I follow you, but that dimension is 5.08mm, if I'm understanding you correctly.

in memoriam

Offline tree

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 04:54:11 »
Not sure I follow you, but that dimension is 5.08mm, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Then there's not much difference between where an Alps and Cherry keycap would be on an Ergodox (just 0.68mm). I don't think we have to worry about whichever case we use not fitting. Just wanted to get this niggling detail out of my head -- I'm going to visit my uncle who owns a metalshop to get those plates cut out soon. I will probably start physical work on this project next month, I'm in the middle of exam season over here haha

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 11:52:47 »
I am quite restricted in that for a key to support both Alps and MX I am unable to rotate it, so Cherry MX would get some layout options that Alps won't.
I don’t understand. Can you elaborate a bit? You just mean that any Cherry keycap can go onto a switch in 4 directions, while Alps keycaps only fit 2 ways?
Not only that. When using the same pin holes for Cherry MX and Alps, the Alps switch would not be centred at the exact same place as a MX switch but shifted ~0.83 mm upwards. This means that each switch-position would need to be oriented upwards or have different pin holes for Cherry MX and Alps.

Kit keyboards for Cherry MX often have multiple layout options, such as providing a choice between stepped or centred Caps Lock or a choice between a 2u Backspace or two 1u keys. To make all the pins holes fit, some switch-positions would have to be mounted downwards or sideways... but then those pin holes can't be reused for Alps ... and there isn't always room for separate pin holes for Alps.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:04:20 »
Not only that. When using the same pin holes for Cherry MX and Alps, the Alps switch would not be centred at the exact same place as a MX switch but shifted ~0.83 mm upwards. This means that each switch-position would need to be oriented upwards or have different pin holes for Cherry MX and Alps.
You can totally make a PCB which supports mounting either MX or Alps switches, centered in the same place.

Kit keyboards for Cherry MX often have multiple layout options, such as providing a choice between stepped or centred Caps Lock or a choice between a 2u Backspace or two 1u keys. To make all the pins holes fit, some switch-positions would have to be mounted downwards or sideways... but then those pin holes can't be reused for Alps ... and there isn't always room for separate pin holes for Alps.
You’ll have to get specific about the layout you think won’t work. Stepped or centered caps lock is a bit of a pain because among Alps keyboards there are versions with differently sized steps. But 2x 1u vs 2u backspace shouldn't be too hard.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 23:32:38 »
I'm interested in anything alps (keycaps, PCBs, plates)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 09:18:53 »
As a recent Alps convert,
Gimme a programmable 60!

And case and plate and caps and please someone do Alps novelty caps...

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 09:51:13 »
just give me some alps caps and i would be happy!

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 10:25:55 »
As a recent Alps convert,
Gimme a programmable 60!

And case and plate and caps and please someone do Alps novelty caps...

Duck0113's DuckMini v2 supports Alps. Elton is doing a sale on them at this link.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 11:05:18 »

Duck0113's DuckMini v2 supports Alps. Elton is doing a sale on them at this link.

It's a bit pricey though.  I'd love a PCB so I could make my own case or use a Pure/Poker case. 

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 12:01:22 »

It's a bit pricey though.  I'd love a PCB so I could make my own case or use a Pure/Poker case.
+1

There's Melvang's enabler GB, but that's noticeably more awkward than using a true PCB. There's Spirit's FaceW project but he wants to have keyswitches in his hand when he makes that portion of his overarching GB project go live...Pretty sure the GH60 will be over and done with before that happens.

Hey, so ... after Rev. C of the GH60 KiCad files are released ... who here is skilled enough to swap the MX pins for ALPS pin? We could have a Rev.D just for ALPS 60% -- wouldn't that be awesome? I'm having a plate made in a day or two so I'll totally be ready!

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline gotofbi

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 15:39:18 »
I really wanna buy alps keycaps!!!!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:17:28 »
bamp

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 20:23:17 »
I'd love some alps caps!

Could we interest Gon in alps setups? People love his stuff...and you get all the programmability etc.
might increase interest in Alps in general.

-R
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 02:28:20 »
In too. Need something to put on my orange Alps. I like the blue-green colorway as well.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 02:30:33 »
I don't think this is actually running anymore guys.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 05:22:05 »
I don't think this is actually running anymore guys.

I hoped that
bamp

Meant it's still going?
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:24:46 »
Guys... This is dead.
Why did this thing get bumped?
We already have the Infinity mods thread.
Go post in there or make your own thread.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 08:41:54 »
FYI, there are some Alps projects "in the pipe." Be patient, and good things will come. :)

in memoriam

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 09:30:53 »
FYI, there are some Alps projects "in the pipe." Be patient, and good things will come. :)

Such as?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 04:56:52 »
Yeah, sorry, this isn't happening, I'm way too busy with real life to work on this anymore, also I have moved since this thread was created and lack the the infra to work on this anymore.

There are some other great projects along similar lines, please have a look there, I think JD's been working on something for a while, so look out for that, I;m sure it will be excellent like all his other projects.

Cheers!