Author Topic: [IC] GMK METROPOLIS 2 - Coming April 02 - 40% Update  (Read 58987 times)

Offline TheMetalDog

Re: [IC] GMK METROPOLIS 2 - Coming April 02 - 40% Update
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 21:45:52 »
I'm stupid excited for this set. Don't need the extra Blocks, but I am in for everything else. Looking forward to some of the surprises. I am sure they will be a big temptation as well.

Ready to redo my home office area to match this set! Going big on this one.  :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 March 2021, 23:07:40 by TheMetalDog »

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 22:14:34 »
This is such a beautiful set, and it's clearly where most of my stimulus money is going.

The only thing I would hope to see added would be a stepped R3 caps in either Signs or Turnpike, but the lack of one isn't going to be stopping me from getting both.

Offline nephlock

Re: [IC] GMK METROPOLIS 2 - Coming April 02
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 22:17:44 »
Show Image

so you definitely have some choices, can't wait to see what you do!

Think you might have missed the update. My post a couple back has a new proposed kit that covers these  :thumb:

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 22:26:20 »
I think Swishy means that you might be best off including the 3 keys in the base kit rather than a whole separate 40's kit.
Ease correct me if I'm wrong, but that is def a smart move. There's a not insignificant number of people to whom this set is useless unless they have 40's keys. If it happens to run in a crowded month it might be tough to make MOQ on a 40's kit ESPECIALLY if there's other sets that went with the 3 keys in base.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 23:03:08 »
I think Swishy means that you might be best off including the 3 keys in the base kit rather than a whole separate 40's kit.
Ease correct me if I'm wrong, but that is def a smart move. There's a not insignificant number of people to whom this set is useless unless they have 40's keys. If it happens to run in a crowded month it might be tough to make MOQ on a 40's kit ESPECIALLY if there's other sets that went with the 3 keys in base.

I don't think Merto 2 is going to have any troubles hitting MOQ. A lot of people missed out on this one in R1, which didn't have a large 40s kit in the first place, and I'm guessing it's going to sell quite a bit.

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
Re: [IC] GMK METROPOLIS 2 - Coming April 02
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 04:10:07 »
It’s great that you’re taking on feedback in this manner, but I have to ask: are 40% users such a significant portion of customers that this is worth doing, but supporting the 3 additional keys for ISO-UK isn’t?
ok, for this iso gets coverage in general physically unless this kit is made there are very many 40s boards that literally can't have the proper physical coverage.

If the lack of ISO-UK support means a customer walks away, the fact physical ISO support exists is meaningless. From anecdotal conversations on this topic I know of several interested parties who will refuse to buy a GMK set without ISO-UK support; these sets are not cheap, so for it to not even support your chosen layout (when other sets do) it’s completely understandable if people choose to spend their money elsewhere. Ultimately the only thing that matters for a GB runner is whether a customer will buy it or not, not whether there’s some hypothetical way of supporting them but which the customer is dissatisfied with. Not being able to even physically cover a 40% board might have different implications, but if it has the same end result (no sale) they are the same problem.

Ultimately it’s a complex problem to support less popular layouts like ISO-UK or 40% for manufacturers with higher MOQs like GMK, but I’m not convinced that the market size for 40% is so big that it warrants specific kitting if ISO-UK doesn’t.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 04:38:35 »
Any consideration for icon plus text modifiers?  :'(

Offline pleasega

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 05:53:10 »
any consideration for more yellow accents? yellow accented arrow keys? i love the yellow!

Offline jrox

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 06:56:46 »
What are the chances of a simple NORDE Kit? Would it hurt to put up a kit to see if it reaches MOQ?

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 07:23:12 »

I don't think Merto 2 is going to have any troubles hitting MOQ. A lot of people missed out on this one in R1, which didn't have a large 40s kit in the first place, and I'm guessing it's going to sell quite a bit.

Oh everyone knows MOQ will hit. It's more of a question of are you reaching the most target audience (in the 40s community) by providing 3 key versus a 40s kit, as there is most likely a ~$40 price difference. The downside to 40s kit is that many 40s users don't want to pay $160 for support on a keyboard with about 40 keys, and those people are going to end of not purchasing this set at all. The downside to 3 key is that it doesn't support every 40s board. Nice to see this conversation on GH though. Most people are figuring out what is best as they go.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 09:53:40 »
Oh everyone knows MOQ will hit. It's more of a question of are you reaching the most target audience (in the 40s community) by providing 3 key versus a 40s kit, as there is most likely a ~$40 price difference. The downside to 40s kit is that many 40s users don't want to pay $160 for support on a keyboard with about 40 keys, and those people are going to end of not purchasing this set at all. The downside to 3 key is that it doesn't support every 40s board. Nice to see this conversation on GH though. Most people are figuring out what is best as they go.

From my perspective, if I like a set enough to buy it, then I'm going to also pick up the 40s kit. However, I understand that I'm not representative of every 40s user. I think both options are valid, and it depends on the set. Is it something known like Metropolis where it's probably going to sell in large quantities? Then a full 40s kit is probably worth it. Is it something brand new that is generating a standard, or less than standard amount of interest? Well then the 3 keys in base is probably better for everyone. I'm all for the push for the 3 keys in base for sets that would otherwise not have 40s support. I think it's a great step forwards in kitting, and I welcome it.

Let's also not forget that this is a round 2 keyset. Which means there are those that purchased the base kit in round 1 (which didn't have 40s support) who would not need to purchase it again, and who would like to add 40s support to their keyset. So their total cost actually goes down from $130 to $40.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 10:40:33 »

So sorry! I know its a divisive thing, but i feel like the cherry icons directly conflict with the metro icons and cause a mismatch.

What are the chances of a simple NORDE Kit? Would it hurt to put up a kit to see if it reaches MOQ?

The trouble with "seeing if it reaches MOQ" is that from a vendor perspective, if it doesn't, they either need to refund the amount (and lose money in the process), cancel the order (and cause outrage), or suck up and buy the extras to reach MOQ (which leaves them holding a lot of product thats too niche and doesn't sell after ).

This is also historically been the issue with sole UK kits, and even 40% kits.

Let's also not forget that this is a round 2 keyset. Which means there are those that purchased the base kit in round 1 (which didn't have 40s support) who would not need to purchase it again, and who would like to add 40s support to their keyset. So their total cost actually goes down from $130 to $40.

It has been my intention since the feedback after completion of R1 to offer a true 40s kit for R2. I have received numerous requests for this, so the option of killing this kit completely for a 3-key in base solution is not of interest to me. My hope is that with the changes to the kit, and making it an actually desirable 40s kit, that this will have no problem hitting MOQ between the R1 users picking it up and the new crowd coming in.

This will also serve as a test. If R1 users asking for it, R2 interest, and getting feedback from the 40s community on what exactly they'd want in a kit still doesn't get this kit to MOQ then I will see that as justifiable data towards abandoning 40s kits and consider 3-key moving forward

Offline Decacentum

• Cardboards
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 13:21:53 »
Love this set and have been looking to get it for a while through aftermarket. However, that will not be the case! Excited for GB

sad that midnight doesnt include a numpad though, i was planning on using metro on my southpaw.

Offline retoid

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 13:29:59 »
What are the PMS colors used for this set? Are they matched to any in particular?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 14:20:23 »

So sorry! I know its a divisive thing, but i feel like the cherry icons directly conflict with the metro icons and cause a mismatch.

RIP. Thanks for considering it. I love the colorway but would honestly just love to see it with the classic modifiers.

Offline jrox

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 14:56:26 »

The trouble with "seeing if it reaches MOQ" is that from a vendor perspective, if it doesn't, they either need to refund the amount (and lose money in the process), cancel the order (and cause outrage), or suck up and buy the extras to reach MOQ (which leaves them holding a lot of product thats too niche and doesn't sell after ).

This is also historically been the issue with sole UK kits, and even 40% kits.

Appreciate the response! Let's hope that vendors can see that there is indeed interest for it, especially for the more popular mainstream GBs. And if it's just a 100, that's also a 100 more base kits sold ;)

Offline JQ27

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 04:15:16 »
Would of been a insta grab if it had UK ISO, will have to pass otherwise  :(

Offline SherlockBunny

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:10:01 »
Would you consider adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDw? That would make it a must-buy for me.

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 10:06:17 »
Was really hoping this would support NorDe this time. Unfortunately, looks like I’m going to have to pass, no matter how much I’d want this set with the mat an all.

This set really is crying for an international set with UK, NorDe, PT etc.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 11:18:25 by L4ll1g470r »

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 10:29:08 »
Was really hoping this would support NorDe this time. Unfortunately, looks like I’m going to have to pass, no matter how much I’d want this set with the mat an all.

This set really is crying fir an international set with UK, NorDe, PT etc.
At least you have some GMK Norde kits... I’m using French AZERTY and it’s slim pickings out there. Some KAT sets and that’s it... For the 5th most spoken language that kinda sucks.

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 11:36:41 »
At least you have some GMK Norde kits... I’m using French AZERTY and it’s slim pickings out there. Some KAT sets and that’s it... For the 5th most spoken language that kinda sucks.

FYI there's an ePBT kit coming out with AZERTY support you can see here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108937.0

Offline Faehriss

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 11:47:25 »
No proper ISO support, no buy. Unfortunate.
church of the POM keeb

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 15:42:48 »

FYI there's an ePBT kit coming out with AZERTY support you can see here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108937.0
Didn’t know about that one, thanks

Offline jk_pens

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 21:15:54 »
Does anyone know if this will / won't go nicely with Ikki68 Aurora mint? Thx

Offline xlSantos

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 02:53:56 »
I decided to pass on it last time but now is my chance to grab it! Glad to see this get a R2

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 06:16:12 »
The biggest difference here, is the removal of full UK ISO support.  :'(
Unfortunately the usage on these kits keeps getting smaller, and it is with a heavy heart that I must bid it adieu and offer a paired down 'coverage' kit.

Please could you share your source for the reduced usage of ISO-UK?  I'm trying to gather some statistics in this area.

Offline internet-nico

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 23:30:10 »
wow, the midnight set is so good!!! That's a buy from me

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 12:38:00 »
The biggest difference here, is the removal of full UK ISO support.  :'(
Unfortunately the usage on these kits keeps getting smaller, and it is with a heavy heart that I must bid it adieu and offer a paired down 'coverage' kit.

Please could you share your source for the reduced usage of ISO-UK?  I'm trying to gather some statistics in this area.

I don't know what Nephlock was using, but if you look at sets where a variety of localizations are offered for reasonable prices, UK kits don't always perform as well as expected.  They tend to do fine when they're the most cost-effective ISO kit available, and of the non-US locales they are one of the least expensive to provide coverage for, but when it's possible to control for those factors UK tends to be outshined.

This is mostly anecdotal, and it's hard to find sets where a UK addon kit isn't being treated as a catch-all ISO kit, so it's hard to know for sure.

Offline mymeepo

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 17:34:00 »
Hello sir, just posting to leave one more +1 for a potential NorDe. Would love to get the Midnight Metropolis for the Iron165 in teal with ISO. Your set is beautiful!

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 17:42:27 »
Norde would indeed be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline luke2fr

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:59:34 »
Please consider adding a stepped capslock to TURNPIKE kit.
Would love to get that kit too, but if this key is missing... I sadly won’t.

Offline pockydavid

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 16:11:40 »
Hello sir, just posting to leave one more +1 for a potential NorDe. Would love to get the Midnight Metropolis for the Iron165 in teal with ISO. Your set is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Mark The Weeb

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 21:23:32 »
METRO GO BRRR

Offline Shorle

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 09:16:56 »

NorDe is love! Any set in this colorway (like Modern Dolch or pre color change Origami) would be ludicrously supported in EU if it finally gave us decent NorDe ... imo.

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 17:38:01 »

NorDe is love! Any set in this colorway (like Modern Dolch or pre color change Origami) would be ludicrously supported in EU if it finally gave us decent NorDe ... imo.
Yes, it isn’t just this set (which is amazing), but this TYPE of set that has really poor availability in NorDe space. Pity.

Offline leexy

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 05:14:39 »
Please consider having R3 PgUp & R4 PgDn in the midnight base kit

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 14:19:05 »
Any updates on pricing

Offline fruitykeeb

• Storefront
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 16:06:49 »
If anything, I'm in for a deskmat. The first one looks amazing

Offline cloudburst

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 18:55:23 »
Actually quite like the pure Midnight set and mat

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 19:31:06 »
I'm in, especially with the 40s kit, nice work.

Offline Shorle

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 09:48:53 »
Any chance for a NorDe kit in r3?
I have looked at many sets with colored legends on dark caps but none featured NorDe. Does GMK not offer this or why is there no NorDe set?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 12:09:02 »
Any chance for a NorDe kit in r3?
I have looked at many sets with colored legends on dark caps but none featured NorDe. Does GMK not offer this or why is there no NorDe set?

NorDe moulds are definitely available, but NorDe kits tend to have a hard time with GMK group buys. Their pricing tends to be high enough (since they have to be bought as an addon to base) that it’s often hard to find the minimum 100 customers willing to buy the kit. NorDeUK kits tend to do even worse.

They are available periodically for GMK, but your best options are probably from other manufacturers.

Offline Eagle Bearer

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 15:39:40 »
Would you consider adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDw? That would make it a must-buy for me.

+ 1 on this. I really want that midnight kit with R3 PgUp and R4 PgDw

Offline Auracity

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 08:28:15 »
rama pls

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 09:53:20 »
I wish there was an affordable way to get a B for my R1.

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 10:38:09 »
I wish there was an affordable way to get a B for my R1.
There is: sell your old set and buy R2

Offline Krxde

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 11:41:37 »
I, too, would love an international set (I'd need ISO-DE) :)))

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 12:42:42 »
Huge fan of the midnight set and deskmat, count me in!

Offline suixt

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 20:05:43 »
OMG, this is the best set I've ever seen and it does not have UK ISO....Someone kill me please

nephlock, please reconsider. We NEED this :(

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 21:25:26 »
OMG, this is the best set I've ever seen and it does not have UK ISO....Someone kill me please

nephlock, please reconsider. We NEED this :(

there's 1500 base kits from R1 w UK iso out in the world and I bet many would sell you the compatibility keys we'd never use over here.

anyways how long till surprises?