Author Topic: Heavier MX switches for split spacebars?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline nguyenhimself

Heavier MX switches for split spacebars?
« on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 06:17:55 »
I:m building a custom board with split 2.25u + 2.0u spacebars. My main MX switch is Ergo Clear with 67g springs, which I enjoy quite a lot.
For the 2 split spacebars, I'm wondering if I should go for a slightly heavier switch for better feeling and typing (bottoming out less hard, less noisy).
I've found a few old threads on the same topic, most of which agree that this kind of thing does make sense:

Heavier Spacebar Switch
Light spacebar or heavy?
The best Cherry MX switch for spacebar in your opinion?

However, all of those threads all talked about big spacebars (6.5-7u). I'm wondering if it would make sense for my smaller split spacebars. Since my main switch is Ergo Clear 67g, I plan to go for either Zealio 78g or MX Clear.
What do you guys think? Obviously this is sort of a personal preference thing, but I'd like to hear some opinions.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2018, 06:20:02 by nguyenhimself »

Offline jcoffin1981

Re: Heavier MX switches for split spacebars?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 22:31:07 »
I have done this before on a Gateron build. Board was comprised of Gateron Brown switches, but I used a Cherry Brown for the  spacebar.  I would have used a heavier spring too if I had one.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline 89sec

Re: Heavier MX switches for split spacebars?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 22:12:04 »
I think that it could be nice to have heavier springs even on a split spacebar. It may be more noticeable due to the smaller keycaps, but if you enjoy heavier spacebars, then go for it!