Author Topic: The best Cherry MX switch for spacebar in your opinion?  (Read 15397 times)

Offline phoenix1234

The best Cherry MX switch for spacebar in your opinion?
« on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 10:37:28 »
Hi GHers,
After measuring the quality of spacebar with :
+ o-ring
+ EK Lube
+ Grease
+ Change switch type
+ Type of stabilizers (Cherry and Costa)
I think the most import factor is to change the switch type of the spacebar. In my opinion, the best switch type for spacebar is Cherry MX Black, so no matter the rest of the switches are, the spacebar with Cherry MX Black still delivers the best feeling, especially on Costa stabilizers. It is because Cherry MX Black after lubed on Costa stabilizers can deliver a very nice, smooth low error-prone and quiet spacebar.
What is your opinion?
Please advise.
I like linear switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: The best Cherry MX switch for spacebar in your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 10:45:49 »
Hi GHers,
After measuring the quality of spacebar with :
+ o-ring
+ EK Lube
+ Grease
+ Change switch type
+ Type of stabilizers (Cherry and Costa)
I think the most import factor is to change the switch type of the spacebar. In my opinion, the best switch type for spacebar is Cherry MX Black, so no matter the rest of the switches are, the spacebar with Cherry MX Black still delivers the best feeling, especially on Costa stabilizers. It is because Cherry MX Black after lubed on Costa stabilizers can deliver a very nice, smooth low error-prone and quiet spacebar.
What is your opinion?
Please advise.

If you have a very well formed space bar... No bend in either axis, then the type of stabilizer does not matter much.

However, this is seldom the case, both abs/pbt space bars are often just a little off. 

IN WHICH CASE....  costar stabilizers are far superior to cherry, because it cares less that your space bar is wharped.

as far as switch goes,  it doesn't really matter.   a clicky spacebar with a slightly heavier spring may help you develop a typing rhythm, as it differentiates that key from the others

But then you have to decide, do you really NEED a typing rhythm?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 10:54:24 »
I prefer MX Greens for my spacebar...and every other key on my keyboard  :))
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 10:55:08 »
I use 55g blacks for all my keys except my spacebar. For that I use a 62g black. Makes a huge difference to the noise & feel.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 11:00:35 »
I have Blues on all my keys, and a Blue spacebar is fine, but it'd be interesting to try MX Red/Brown, because the most important point about my spacebar is that it doesn't interfere with my typing. Having a click to tell me actuation is nice, though.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 11:03:20 »
The next heaviest switch of the same type is generally the best one. red=black space, black=lgrey space, blue=green space, brown=clear space, clear=tgrey space. But if you make the primary switch green, white, or grey it's a problem because there isn't something more unless you get ahold of a 'super' switch with 120cN+.
But actually, it also depends on the size of the spacebar as well in my opinion. On large spacebar light switch feel like mushy **** in comparison to all the smaller keys. If the spacebar is smaller than 5.5, for instance on JIS layout, it maybe is better to go uniform. The stronger switch is there to offset the larger mass of a bigger key. On smaller keys it is much more noticeable if there is a heavy switch there.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 11:12:51 »
Light switches and Cherry stabilizers on the spacebar key just doesn't feels good to me. I dislike pressing the spacebar on my K70 or Trigger.

Besides, not all Cherry stabilizers are the same. For an instance, the Cherry Stabilizer for the spacebar on my CM Storm Trigger MX Brown feels like crap (here I tried lubing it to see if it becomes better, but still felt bad):

There's just way too much friction between it and the key itself.

And well, the one on the Corsair K70 (MX Red) also doesn't feels good as well, neither does G710+ (MX Brown).

In the meanwhile, the spacebar with Cherry stabilizers on my Tt Meka G-Unit (MX Black) feels quite nice, just as good as the Costar stabilizers on my Das Keyboard (MX Brown) and as was on my CM Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black):

Anyways, I believe that there may be methods to implement Cherry stabilizers in a way it doesn't feels like crap, but unfortunately, most companies just don't do it, reason why Costar stabilizers are preferable.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2013, 11:14:43 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 11:13:55 »
The next heaviest switch of the same type is generally the best one. red=black space, black=lgrey space, blue=green space, brown=clear space, clear=tgrey space. But if you make the primary switch green, white, or grey it's a problem because there isn't something more unless you get ahold of a 'super' switch with 120cN+.
But actually, it also depends on the size of the spacebar as well in my opinion. On large spacebar light switch feel like mushy **** in comparison to all the smaller keys. If the spacebar is smaller than 5.5, for instance on JIS layout, it maybe is better to go uniform. The stronger switch is there to offset the larger mass of a bigger key. On smaller keys it is much more noticeable if there is a heavy switch there.

This is the best advice.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 11:42:28 »
But then you have to decide, do you really NEED a typing rhythm?
Show Image

Good point, the sound of spacebar can deliver quite a good feeling for me when typing.

I prefer MX Greens for my spacebar...and every other key on my keyboard  :))

I have Blues on all my keys, and a Blue spacebar is fine, but it'd be interesting to try MX Red/Brown, because the most important point about my spacebar is that it doesn't interfere with my typing. Having a click to tell me actuation is nice, though.

For me, Blue and Green on spacebar will cause a bit of noise, so I tried with O-Ring (black) from WASD, the noise decreased with quite a good amount.

Strongly agreed, it seems your opinion quite similar to some keyboard manufacturers (Deck, Cherry, KBC) that I have seen.
On Deck TG3BL82 Clear - spacebar is DarkGrey
On Deck TG3BL82 Black - spacebar is DarkGrey
On Cherry G80-8200 Clear - spacebar is DarkGrey
On KBC Race Blue - spacebar is Green

Light switches and Cherry stabilizers on the spacebar key just doesn't feels good to me. I dislike pressing the spacebar on my K70 or Trigger.

Agreed, I have the same feeling with my Leopold 700R Cherry MX Red. Stock Cherry MX Red is very good, but when it comes to spacebar, it is very noisy and high error prone due to its light weight.

I like linear switches

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:02:52 »
Definitely a 62g linear
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 14:04:49 »

+1. From my limited experience of mechanical boards, I like a slightly heavier switch of the same type as the others (for instance a clear on a board full of browns) on the space bar.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.