Author Topic: Heavier Spacebar Switch  (Read 12558 times)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Heavier Spacebar Switch
« on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:17:26 »
I've seen a few people use heavier switches for spacebar, like an MX Green on an MX Blue board. I don't quite understand the advantage of this, could someone explain? It seems like you would bottom out either way.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Re: Heavier Spacebar Switch
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:20:33 »
I would think that you don't bottom out as hard with a heavier switch, which would in turn reduce the amount of noise it makes.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:20:39 »
The space bar is much heavier than a regular 1x key.  It contains much more plastic and it has the stabilizer bits hanging off of it.  This extra weight effectively reduces the resistance that you feel from the switch spring.  In order to make it feel more like the other switches, and to prevent it from activating accidentally, the stiffer spring is used.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:26:55 »
The space bar is much heavier than a regular 1x key.  It contains much more plastic and it has the stabilizer bits hanging off of it.  This extra weight effectively reduces the resistance that you feel from the switch spring.  In order to make it feel more like the other switches, and to prevent it from activating accidentally, the stiffer spring is used.

This^ I prefer having a much heavier switch/spring for it due to my thumb being "spacebar" happy. I had a 62g spring (Same as the other switches) in my spacebar for a few days and it almost felt broken.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:28:48 »
I like a uniform switch weight. However if you have a metal/alum/Ti spacebar, you'll need a heavier spring to off set the additional weight
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:37:23 »
I think I preform uniform weight.  I don't notice any difference in typing feel at uniform weight so I'd imagine having heavier weight would be annoying.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:49:03 »
I think I preform uniform weight.  I don't notice any difference in typing feel at uniform weight so I'd imagine having heavier weight would be annoying.

I think it's annoying at high speeds, but it's probably better for all-around general use where you're not trying to get 666 WPM on demonracer. :)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 23:29:42 »
I go uniform weight as well, but I heard that having a heavier space bar switch was only preferred on cherry stabilizers.
I love Elzy

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 23:56:34 »
Use thick Cherry keycap with 7x spacebar on a light switch and come back.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Re: Heavier Spacebar Switch
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 06:47:06 »
Use thick Cherry keycap with 7x spacebar on a light switch and come back.
What the Russian space cadet said.  Black spacebar spring on a red switch board is necessary for meatier caps. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 07:32:17 »
After I switched to Green MX spacebar, I've made 2-5% less mistakes on my typing games... And it has been pretty consistent..

The MX- Springs "reduce" in resistance over time by as much as 5-7g, so given the "heavy" spacebar + "greater, wear and tear" + stronger thumb/wrist action... It would make sense to use a stronger spring for the space bar..

Also, with an MX Green switch, the space bar feels "less wobbly" than when I had the MX blue. And the Key return to standard position is notably more "robust"

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 07:48:43 »

^ This...
And because the thumb (which most people use for space) is much stronger than the other fingers.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 18:20:38 »
Cool, thanks for the input. Once my soldering skills are up to par I will give a heavier spacebar a try.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 14:14:15 »
Some of the Ducky boards have stiffer spacebar switches, I have a Yotd Dragon with MX blacks and it has a grey switch on the space bar it feels O.K. I've seen some blues with a green spacebar switch also.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 14:45:14 »
Some of the Ducky boards have stiffer spacebar switches, I have a Yotd Dragon with MX blacks and it has a grey switch on the space bar it feels O.K. I've seen some blues with a green spacebar switch also.

Its odd that mention that, my Ducky YOTD in Reds has a red switch space bar. I think I would of liked a Black spring for the space bar but weird that they would do it for a Black switch board.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 17:27:34 »
Hope this doesn't hijack the thread too much, but are there other locations where heavier switches are used?

I'm thinking the Backspace and the Enter key seem like good candidates, no?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: Heavier Spacebar Switch
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 17:53:05 »
Hope this doesn't hijack the thread too much, but are there other locations where heavier switches are used?

I'm thinking the Backspace and the Enter key seem like good candidates, no?

Here's a good example, although the spacebar is using a red - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40160.0

Edit - I have a feeling that I may try certain locations like Backspace, Enter, and others with a heavier spring when my 17 cent clears arrive :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 February 2013, 17:59:33 by Jocelyn »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:00:11 »
If I had the time and money and energy to start swapping switches on a cherry or alps keyboard, I would probably come up with at least half a dozen locations for alternate switches.

If the switches were not clicky already, I might be inclined to make several of them clicky (eg shift control alt tab numlock capslock 3423etc) to alert me that they were in effect.

Damn, I just wasted 3 drops of good bourbon on my Model F!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015