Author Topic: [IC] GMK Shanshui R2 山水二 - BoW  (Read 22688 times)

Offline grundlemere

[IC] GMK Shanshui R2 山水二 - BoW
« on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 17:54:53 »
GMK Shanshui R2 山水二 - Black-on-White

A different path.

The second round of GMK Shanshui 山水 is in the works, in the much requested black-on-white colorway. While the first round was a nod to the tranquil nighttime scenes of the majestic Li River in South China, this round evokes the bright, soft day, the stark contrast of ink on paper, and the art of shanshuihua itself, the Chinese style of ink painting perfectly suited to capture the layered depth of the South China Karst, the ghostly mists, and the smooth rush of the water. Literally “mountain-water-painting” in the Chinese, these words are immortalized in the local slogan of this stretch of the Lijiang between Guilin and Yangshuo: 山水甲天下, “the best landscapes under heaven.”

About the set

GMK Shanshui R2 山水二 is a black-on-white Cherry profile keycap set designed to capture both the enduring shanshui images of the Lijiang and the essence of the uniquely Chinese artform of shanshuihua, practiced by artists in China and around the world. Designed by Grundlemere of Fort Stevens Mercantile, conceived and rendered by NathanAlphaMan of Alpha Design.

Base keys are molded in crisp GMK stock WS1, with legends rendered in CR black, matching existing BoW sets and kits, and compatible with other monochrome Cherry profile keys including GMK Shanshui R1. The base kit offers sublegends in Cangjie, while modifiers are rendered in both Simplified and Traditional Chinese + icons—a second act for the first GMK legends in true Chinese characters.

Complete the GMK Shanshui R2 Interest Check form to make this set a reality

See a full gallery of board and scene renders

Follow me on IG @fort_stevens for photos and project updates, and feel free to reach out on Discord at grundlemere#1126 with questions or to say hello. New: join my Discord server for updates!

Updates

• February 3: IC posted

Vendors

TBD, but with sufficient interest in the set, expect this to run with the same vendors who carried GMK Shanshui R1

Kits

Xuan Paper 宣纸: the Simplified Chinese base kit

The Simplified Chinese base kit offers sublegends in the Cangjie Chinese typing system, while modifiers are rendered in Simplified Chinese + icons—a reprise of the first GMK legends in true Chinese characters. Designed to cover a wide range of layouts. Included numpad is rendered in Chinese financial numerals as monolegends. Alphas include basic special Chinese punctuation sublegends.

Old Hand 旧文: the Traditional Chinese base kit

The Traditional Chinese base kit offers sublegends in the Cangjie Chinese typing system, while modifiers are rendered in Traditional Chinese + icons—a reprise of the first GMK legends in true Chinese characters. Designed to cover a wide range of layouts. Included numpad is rendered in Chinese financial numerals as monolegends. Alphas include basic special Chinese punctuation sublegends.

Hanging Scroll 条幅: the Cangjie monolegend alphas kit

A complete alphanumeric kit with Cangjie Chinese character monolegends, and duplicate modifiers and spacebars to assist base kit buyers in covering a second board if desired. Includes both Simplified and Traditional Chinese character alpha supplements and east/south/west/north Chinese character arrow keys. Recommended for compatibility with GMK BoW, Bleached, Minimal, and other monochrome sets.

Riverflow 水流: the novelties kit

Novelties feature images, real and imagined, of the Li River between Guilin and Yangshuo, China, in Guangxi Province amid the world-famous South China Karst geologic formations. Novelty icons include:
  • Sunrise scenes of the local mountain and river landscape (shanshui),
  • the famous Moon Hill (a karst mountain with an enormous hole through the base, famed for rock climbing),
  • the fishing cormorant,
  • the ubiquitous “phoenix tail” bamboo that lines the banks of the Lijiang,
  • the traditional lantern hung on the eaves of the winding streets of Yangshuo,
  • a vignette of local South China architecture,
  • alternate WoB Esc/Enter keys in TC and SC.

White Space 空白: the spacebars kit

Includes non-traditional spacebars and spacekeys, as well as variant CR black bars for a distinctive touch.

Collaborations

Our list from last time was staggering!

Digital Carpentry for custom branded rare wood wrist rests
Luxe Cables for a set-matched aviator cable
RAMA WORKS for metal artisan keycaps
Salvun for artisan keycaps in bronze
Latrialum for collab artisan keycaps in resin
DE∆Gcaps for a collab artisan keycap in resin
Sodie Caps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Destroyer Caps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Bludgeoned Kaps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Rascal Caps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Frumpzkeys for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Fraktal Kaps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Rejeck Kaps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Froue Loop for a collab multimedia artisan keycap

If you’re a maker or artisan, I’d love to work with you to develop an exclusive collaboration for GMK Shanshui or a future set. Please get in touch!

Deskmats

TBD, but we may do a rerun of the deskmats from Shanshui R1

Rafts 钓鱼筏 deskmat: An ink painting of traditional fishing rafts afloat on the Li River beneath the leaning phoenix tail bamboo, emblazoned with the Shanshui logo chop at bottom left. Based on artwork by Baoyan.

Karst 岩溶 deskmat: an ink painting of the South China Karst seen through the mist with the inscription, "best scenery under heaven" (山水甲天下), an unofficial local slogan of the Li River area. No seal for users who prefer a completely monochrome look. Based on artwork by Elina Li.

Sharing the Cangjie legends

Designers interested in using the Chinese-language legends we’ve created are welcome and encouraged to reach out for design files to use in their renders, free of charge.

This is likely my last set design to use Chinese character legends—I don’t want to get typecast as the Chinese keycap guy! But I hope that other designers will take up the mantle and use these legends to produce beautiful work, as others have with Hiragana and Hangul legend designs.

Acknowledgements

This design goes to the great people of China, the Chinese-speaking world, and the Chinese diaspora, who contribute so much to our community through their creativity, passion, knowledge, and work. You changed my life and I’ll never be the same. Also,

NathanAlphaMan for the incredible collaborative partnership, the initial idea to do Houhai as a WoB set, the gorgeous renders, and the critical feedback
Michael at Digital Carpentry, for being my first partner, my biggest sounding board, and my unrelenting critic
Exclusive, for the cultural translation help and his friendship
Alex, for the kernel of the idea of what Shanshui would become
Upas, for taking a chance on this set, and his important advice
Louis, for his kindness, his passion for my work, and his partnership
Jae, for his honesty and sense, and for the use of his beautiful J-01 and J-02 models
LBaron and the S+R team, for making their gorgeous Iron165 and Iron180 models available
A.Jakkkke for helping me make this set as good as it can be.

Thanks for reading this far and thank you for your feedback.

Show your support for GMK Shanshui with this signature banner!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108587.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/uf2jvDn.png[/img][/url]

Offline of_sam

Re: [IC] GMK Shanshui R2 山水二 - BoW
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 17:55:39 »
Could have waited a bit
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 17:57:26 »
As someone who bought all kits in Shanshui R1, no reason not to grab this one and make monochrome Shanshui.

One thing I'd like to know is with the mold already exists, whether R2 price would be dropped a bit? Also, would you wait until R1 shipped to customers to run R2 so people could see how the mold works IRL?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:01:00 by ZongZiWang »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:01:46 »
Why is this here already? Well, I'll tell you. I've already had other people interested in designing a BoW colorway of this set, essentially flipping the colors of the set and running it as-is. I had already planned to do a second round in BoW myself, as discussed in the first IC thread. So, there was no time like the present to show the set we've been planning since before the first GB ran.

Offline r00dy

• like it, buy it. don't like it, don't buy it
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:03:26 »
late to the party but reserved

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:03:48 »
late to the party but reserved

Reserved by r00dy

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:05:45 »
Pog... that’s all I have to say

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:07:39 »
As someone who bought all kits in Shanshui R1, no reason not to grab this one and make monochrome Shanshui.

One thing I'd like to know is with the mold already exists, whether R2 price would be dropped a bit? Also, would you wait until R1 shipped to customers to run R2 so people could see how the mold works IRL?

We love you for it, buddy. Thanks for your support.

Yes, we have every reason to expect this round should be significantly cheaper, though we don't have quotes from GMK, of course.

And I think the timing you're asking about will line up well. I don't see this set running before the expected R1 shipping timeframe, so barring severe further delays *knock on wood* people should get a good look at the doubleshotting quality before deciding to join again.

Offline fropsie

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:11:01 »
Looks sweet! Old hand base kit is def. a buy.

Offline kt1928

• Kappy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:11:10 »

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:16:00 »
I hate you, I'm in.

Offline Litomymu

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:32:46 »
Me: :)
My wallet: :(

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:49:05 »
my wallet, please mercy..

Offline Afresh

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 18:55:22 »
outstanding move

Offline vnflynn

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 19:33:21 »
Looks better than BoW. I didn't join the GB for BoW but I'm definitely in this one ~

Offline CobraLi

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 20:48:50 »
I bought the black kit for myself, now just need to check with the wife if she wants this one otherwise I'll get the white set for myself!  ;D

Offline shawnlin

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 21:24:01 »
Can we have monolegend alphas in the basekit? I mean, I really like the clean look of the monolegend Cangjie alphas..

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 21:28:29 »
Filled out form. Buying for sure.

Would love to see some other deskmats.

Offline ThomasTaiTai

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 19:31:46 »
Apiary was ****ting on this on her last guest appearance on Alexotos' stream, saying it's a rushed IC. The designer is just quick to post this. Nothing looks rushed in the IC post.

She also said it's bad because last round barely hit MOQ. Last round had to hit 1000 base kits for new moulds and to satisfy cultural needs (2 base kits). This time it can be much lower MOQ (300 or 500).

****ting on a community project to make new sublegends, when weeb sets run every single month (not to hate on weeb sets). I guess the weeb and Korean bias is real.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 08:45:32 »
Apiary was ****ting on this on her last guest appearance on Alexotos' stream, saying it's a rushed IC. The designer is just quick to post this. Nothing looks rushed in the IC post.

She also said it's bad because last round barely hit MOQ. Last round had to hit 1000 base kits for new moulds and to satisfy cultural needs (2 base kits). This time it can be much lower MOQ (300 or 500).

****ting on a community project to make new sublegends, when weeb sets run every single month (not to hate on weeb sets). I guess the weeb and Korean bias is real.

And at a much more attractive price point. And, hopefully in a month where there aren't 15 other GMK sets running, right after the holidays in the west. I have seen way lower effort ICs posted that got run, and I do this with the support of my vendors. We'll plan to have a date soon, and I'll want to remake some of the novelties.

I don't really watch many streams, so thanks for the heads up. People talking badly about you is still people talking about you, so I can't be too hurt. I do wish prominent people would bring up issues they have with others directly, though. I've never talked to Apiary before, and I would be completely open to hearing from her on what I could do to be a better community member. But it would be nice to be reached out to for comment. This is only the second time someone well known within the community has had an issue with the way I have approached my work, and neither time did either reach out to me directly. I don't bite.

I won't chalk this up to bias, though. That doesn't seem fair. There has certainly historically been more interest in Japanese and Korean sets, and I'm hoping to change that. I have several Hiragana sets, two Hangul sets, one in Cyrillic, and hopefully a load more Chinese sets on the way. I'm excited to join Classic Arabic as well. It's wonderful to expand the community library beyond the eurocentric roots of the tech field in all cases, and I think we can all be excited for the beautiful Chinese language and culture to become a bigger part of that narrative without it being a zerosum competition among East Asian cultural affinities. I've spent a lot of time in China, very little in Japan and none in Korea, but I'm sure I'd love those countries given the opportunity. I think the best way to grow interest in Chinese culture is not to make it at the expense of other cultures. My lasting impression of China is the welcome I received living there from friends, students, colleagues, and strangers. That, to me, is the way to win hearts and minds.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 08:47:36 »
Can we have monolegend alphas in the basekit? I mean, I really like the clean look of the monolegend Cangjie alphas..

Put it in the IC form, certainly, but I'll tell you why that's tough: That would mean four base kits, one each for mono and dual, SC and TC. I just don't see most people being mono fans because most people can't touchtype, and only about 5% of the people who filled out the last two IC forms said they plan to type in Cangjie. It's just tough to do with a language that has two scripts to begin with.

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 09:23:06 »
Holy sh!t! I can't believe my eyes, a proper spacebar kit!

I've been skipping sets due to runners putting the proper alpha coloured split space into random kits to push more kit sales lol...

Thankyou!!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 13:13:27 »
I think this BoW set definitely fits my needs better than the R1. I wasn't able to go for R1, but I'm certainly going for this one when it goes to GB. Good job!

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 15:27:39 »

And at a much more attractive price point. And, hopefully in a month where there aren't 15 other GMK sets running, right after the holidays in the west. I have seen way lower effort ICs posted that got run, and I do this with the support of my vendors. We'll plan to have a date soon, and I'll want to remake some of the novelties.

I don't really watch many streams, so thanks for the heads up. People talking badly about you is still people talking about you, so I can't be too hurt. I do wish prominent people would bring up issues they have with others directly, though. I've never talked to Apiary before, and I would be completely open to hearing from her on what I could do to be a better community member. But it would be nice to be reached out to for comment. This is only the second time someone well known within the community has had an issue with the way I have approached my work, and neither time did either reach out to me directly. I don't bite.

I won't chalk this up to bias, though. That doesn't seem fair. There has certainly historically been more interest in Japanese and Korean sets, and I'm hoping to change that. I have several Hiragana sets, two Hangul sets, one in Cyrillic, and hopefully a load more Chinese sets on the way. I'm excited to join Classic Arabic as well. It's wonderful to expand the community library beyond the eurocentric roots of the tech field in all cases, and I think we can all be excited for the beautiful Chinese language and culture to become a bigger part of that narrative without it being a zerosum competition among East Asian cultural affinities. I've spent a lot of time in China, very little in Japan and none in Korea, but I'm sure I'd love those countries given the opportunity. I think the best way to grow interest in Chinese culture is not to make it at the expense of other cultures. My lasting impression of China is the welcome I received living there from friends, students, colleagues, and strangers. That, to me, is the way to win hearts and minds.

Well spoke. Your attitude to people with other opinions, appreciation for different cultures, as well as determination to bring both SC and TC to community is what impressed me and made me wanna contribute to the Shanshui R1 GB as much as possible even I personally don't read TC.

Maybe you can include your post about "why IC now" in the main post to make it more clear.

Offline Firebear31

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 05:22:27 »
Nice Grundlemere! Hope everything goes as great as with the first run.
PM for the files :) Really want to make that Guangzhou theme now haha.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 05:27:38 »
i got WoB, and will def get BoW (as I like the latter better than the former). One question - can this run before WoB completes? :)

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 22:39:06 »
I think I'm in love.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 12:31:22 »
TAP TAP THROW THE PHONE IF YOU HEAR IT CLICK
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline galdrom

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 12:41:52 »
I missed the past run, so I'm super excited for this. Looks great

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 12:45:28 »
Can R3 be beige?

Offline lac29

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 15:54:44 »
I'm in and am sad I missed R1.

Offline alan1216221973

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 23:38:25 »
ive been watching these chinese caps for a while now, cant wait for another set to come out that is for the wubi typers.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 13:29:50 »
So soon, but its nice

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 13:56:45 »
Nice Grundlemere! Hope everything goes as great as with the first run.
PM for the files :) Really want to make that Guangzhou theme now haha.

Contact information is in the main post! I'm not going to get into the habit of checking DMs on GH, sorry.

Offline timescam

• Professional Colevrak Beggar
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 22:05:05 »
Did not get the R1 due to gmk having problems in recent darker color caps, bow is an instant buy for me.  :thumb:

Have you considered a wob icon kit, so it can combined with the Hanging Scroll kit and fill a second board?

Offline erich8to

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:34:07 »
Glad r2 is BoW. Will definitely consider buying

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 08:52:11 »
Did not get the R1 due to gmk having problems in recent darker color caps, bow is an instant buy for me.  :thumb:

Have you considered a wob icon kit, so it can combined with the Hanging Scroll kit and fill a second board?

Interesting idea, though I'm not sure WoB icon is really mine to run. I wouldn't be the original designer of that kit, unless no one has done that before? Anyway, that's a good notion and please take a moment to put it in the IC.

Offline Rx003

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 05:29:14 »
Yup im getting this for sure! proceed with gb thanks  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Xanira

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 05:33:48 »
a little early but damn... i need those novelties

Offline timescam

• Professional Colevrak Beggar
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 02:37:15 »
Interesting idea, though I'm not sure WoB icon is really mine to run. I wouldn't be the original designer of that kit, unless no one has done that before? Anyway, that's a good notion and please take a moment to put it in the IC.

iirc the previous runner of the R2 of bow/wob icon kit, said is ok for anyone to run a R3 of it.
Also i mistyped, bow not wob.

edit, found it:
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 March 2021, 03:21:53 by timescam »

Offline shawnlin

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 02:50:57 »

iirc the previous runner of the R2 of bow/wob icon kit, said is ok for anyone to run a R3 of it.
Also i mistyped, bow not wob.

This makes a lot sense! Please consider it! ;)

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 07:16:12 »
Yes pls consider the icons only mods :)
Maybe include the R5 row to change it up!

Offline koalacha

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 00:49:39 »
Missed R1, looking forward to this  ;D

Offline raymondzzd

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 18:21:41 »
Looking forward to this. The novelties look awesome with bow, resembles ink painting

Offline kiwoli

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 12 December 2022, 17:25:40 »
Sooooo... When is this running? :blank:

Offline lovebee.co

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 16 December 2022, 09:05:23 »
this looks so incredibly good. i am in for base, novelties (normally not a fan of novelties, but wow), and space bars. i can see myself getting use out of this on so many boards. would also DEFINITELY buy both desk mats if you do run those again. seriously beautiful artwork. hope to see GB soon :D GLWIC!