Author Topic: [IC] krytox greases and oils  (Read 29514 times)

Offline Neal

Re: [IC] krytox greases and oils
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 12:04:57 »
Amazing.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:13:35 »
excuse me bruhs, but i'm not too keen on the specifics of lube

all i know is i need a low viscosity oil and a high viscosity grease

will those be available for this? lol excuse my lack of lube knowledge

Offline Topre

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:20:34 »
excuse me bruhs, but i'm not too keen on the specifics of lube

all i know is i need a low viscosity oil and a high viscosity grease

will those be available for this? lol excuse my lack of lube knowledge

Yes, Mwaka will be getting Krytox 1506 (low viscosity) and GPL-205 (high viscosity).

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:28:23 »
nice nice :o

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:47:02 »
1) i'll be getting GPL 206

2) the _greases_ all have the same viscosity. this is given as their NLGI. however, the greases are basically a matrix of ptfe powder with oil embedded in it. the _oil_ in the matrix varies per the formulation number and that base oil has different viscosities with different formulations even though the greases all have the same NLGI of 2 (peanut butter).

so this begs the question: how do they achieve the same NLGI using wildly differing base oils? a-hah! it's quite simple: you just vary the amount of PTFE. in exchange you get different material properties (that aren't viscosity) with each grease but exactly the same viscosity. the way to read the datasheets is that the lower GPL 20xs are more volatile (the base oil is more likely to vaporize, leaving only the ptfe matrix), and the higher GPLs 20xs are less volatile, but naturally the oil dominates the mix more than the ptfe matrix.

however, keep in mind that krytox is generally VERY inert, so the scale really goes from "not very volatile" to "THIS OIL WILL NEVER VAPORIZE EVER". now here's the problem with volatility in a keyboard switch. if the oil does vaporize, it will get _everywhere_ it will get on the contacts. it will get all over the inside of the keyboard, etc. etc. and if you remember from previous posts, NOTHING DISSOLVES KRYTOX (except for more krytox that's been formulated to break the polymer chains, actually. it's cool but very expensive to do this).

the volatility is based largely on temperature, so the worst case is that you leave your GPL 201'd board in a hot car and the oil in GPL 201 actually has a chance of off-gassing at hot car temperatures. that's not good. so, i erred toward the "WILL NEVER VAPORIZE EVER" direction for everything, and the dupont chemist agreed. the other nice thing about this is that the oils and greases i will be selling will be useful in the maximum number of applications. you can run them in bearings and bushings at 200C no problem. they will be slippery as crap and won't go anywhere.

OK, that said, people like different viscosities of grease, right? A-HAH, the 1506 oil is really particularly cool in that it has insanely high vaporization criteria, just like the GPL 206 grease. however, the oil viscosity is actually really low. why? because it's been formulated in a special way that makes it appropriate for use as a vacuum pump lubricator. it also makes it absolutely perfect for our application. you can use it to thin out the GPL 206, BUT it doesn't change its vaporization characteristics in any negative way like GPL 101 or 102 would. In fact, it is actually _less_ prone to vaporization than the base oil in GPL 206.

BAM! optimal application for our use case :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:49:57 »
dat lube knowledge....

* Dubsgalore is content with mkawa's knowledge

sounds great
i'll be in for this :D

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:11:09 »
dat lube knowledge....

* Dubsgalore is content with mkawa's knowledge

sounds great
i'll be in for this :D

Pro-lube-ment solved?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 20:21:12 »
1) i'll be getting GPL 206

2) the _greases_ all have the same viscosity. this is given as their NLGI. however, the greases are basically a matrix of ptfe powder with oil embedded in it. the _oil_ in the matrix varies per the formulation number and that base oil has different viscosities with different formulations even though the greases all have the same NLGI of 2 (peanut butter).

so this begs the question: how do they achieve the same NLGI using wildly differing base oils? a-hah! it's quite simple: you just vary the amount of PTFE. in exchange you get different material properties (that aren't viscosity) with each grease but exactly the same viscosity. the way to read the datasheets is that the lower GPL 20xs are more volatile (the base oil is more likely to vaporize, leaving only the ptfe matrix), and the higher GPLs 20xs are less volatile, but naturally the oil dominates the mix more than the ptfe matrix.

however, keep in mind that krytox is generally VERY inert, so the scale really goes from "not very volatile" to "THIS OIL WILL NEVER VAPORIZE EVER". now here's the problem with volatility in a keyboard switch. if the oil does vaporize, it will get _everywhere_ it will get on the contacts. it will get all over the inside of the keyboard, etc. etc. and if you remember from previous posts, NOTHING DISSOLVES KRYTOX (except for more krytox that's been formulated to break the polymer chains, actually. it's cool but very expensive to do this).

the volatility is based largely on temperature, so the worst case is that you leave your GPL 201'd board in a hot car and the oil in GPL 201 actually has a chance of off-gassing at hot car temperatures. that's not good. so, i erred toward the "WILL NEVER VAPORIZE EVER" direction for everything, and the dupont chemist agreed. the other nice thing about this is that the oils and greases i will be selling will be useful in the maximum number of applications. you can run them in bearings and bushings at 200C no problem. they will be slippery as crap and won't go anywhere.

OK, that said, people like different viscosities of grease, right? A-HAH, the 1506 oil is really particularly cool in that it has insanely high vaporization criteria, just like the GPL 206 grease. however, the oil viscosity is actually really low. why? because it's been formulated in a special way that makes it appropriate for use as a vacuum pump lubricator. it also makes it absolutely perfect for our application. you can use it to thin out the GPL 206, BUT it doesn't change its vaporization characteristics in any negative way like GPL 101 or 102 would. In fact, it is actually _less_ prone to vaporization than the base oil in GPL 206.

BAM! optimal application for our use case :)

Sir mkawa, you are a very knowledgeable person!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 21:16:27 »
Sir mkawa, you are a very knowledgeable person!

That he is!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 14:02:23 »
i just got an 8.5kg package. goodbye weekend!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 14:09:17 »
i just got an 8.5kg package. goodbye weekend!

I guess lube can both make or break your weekend ;)
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 14:16:12 »
gross dude

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 14:17:54 »
gross dude

What, you can either spend the weekend lubing your switches for a great outcome, or spend the weekend sorting it into distributable amounts. Why does everything have to be a sexual innuendo.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 14:27:22 »
:|

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:46:03 »
We want pictures!

Offline Topre

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:35:26 »
I'm guessing you got everything, or almost everything now? Sounds you are ready to start selling them!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:44:44 »
ahahahah

yes, i only have hundreds and hundreds of tiny vials to fill. and seal. and pack..

A TRIVIAL MATTER TO BE SURE

(help me)

my living room:
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:46:39 by mkawa »

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:48:41 »
ahahahah

yes, i only have hundreds and hundreds of tiny vials to fill. and seal. and pack..

(help me)

my living room:
Show Image

Wow, look at all the warning labels and paperwork.  Whats with the stuff on the top right?  An unbuilt desk or something?
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:54:01 »
ahahahah

(help me)

my living room:
Show Image

Wow, look at all the warning labels and paperwork.  Whats with the stuff on the top right?  An unbuilt desk or something?

That's mkawa's robot.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 18:35:50 »
(help me)

If you had a location listed we could find people to help!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 19:07:05 »
ahahahah

(help me)

my living room:
Show Image

You should be nice and slippery at the end of all this :P

Offline UniClown

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 19:25:14 »
ahahahah

(help me)

my living room:
Show Image

I don't know if you have a wife or girlfriend or anything, but imagine a girl you didn't know come into your house and see all those vials of high-grade lube.

Offline Topre

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 20:42:35 »
ahahahah

(help me)

my living room:
Show Image

I see many boxes along with three bottles of 1506, and four containers of GPL-206. Have fun filling up all those vials!

Offline gnubag

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 21:06:13 »
ahahahah

(help me)

my living room:
Show Image

that is so much $$$ right there in lube form

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 13:21:26 »
I have made a huge mistake. the grease is not happy being packed with a needle.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 14:29:12 »
I'm interested in some that can be used to lube Cherry MX Clear switches well. How do I order?
🍉

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 16:39:05 »
ok, here's the deal, and a summary of my friday and saturday so far.

first, _i_ made a number of huge miscalculations in dispensing equipment and my grease dispensing solution is hilariously inappropriate. i'm making do to make a handful of orders worth of sellable packs that can go out asap, but i have more appropriate everything on order to dispense grease into and some more parts for each lube pack to make the whole thing more workable for the inexperienced.

second, there was a miscommunication with my supplier that resulted in my getting MORE THAN TWICE AS MUCH PRODUCT AS I HAD THOUGHT I HAD ORDERED. yesterday was mostly panicked calls between different parties working this out.

SO, if you can wait for the storefront to go up, PLEASE WAIT TO ORDER

IF YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED KRYTOX AND/OR ID INNOVATIONS multimode PS2 to USB adapters ASAP, PM me and I will work with you to get you what you need. It may cost you slightly more, as I am still trying to price the product (which is changing as I have to order more things and decide what will ship with what, in what, etc.). THIS OFFER EXTENDS TO CONUS ONLY

if you are international, please find a domestic proxy for the time being.

PLEASE NOTE: if you are international, please note that our online store will be working with a forwarding service for international shipments anyway, so it is in your favor to find a buddy in the states to BFF with anyway.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2013, 16:43:03 by mkawa »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 22:10:19 »
fellows, compatriots.

i introduce to you

THE KRYTOXAPULLT

image: (left) soldapullt DS017 (right) krytoxapullt KS017

Offline Topre

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 23:01:10 »
fellows, compatriots.

i introduce to you

THE KRYTOXAPULLT

Show Image

image: (left) soldapullt DS017 (right) krytoxapullt KS017

I don't know what is happening in this picture, but looks like you are having fun with the lube.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 23:07:36 »
fellows, compatriots.

i introduce to you

THE KRYTOXAPULLT

Great! You can use the krytoxapullt to catapult krytox to everyone!

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 06:36:36 »
Hilarious!!! Way to giterdone! Kryptoxapult!! LOL.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:34:35 »
if you want early access, i am beta testing HERE: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46872.0

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:36:30 »
Lube fun ... images get out of my head!!!  :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline thadood

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 11:23:57 »
I don't know what is happening in this picture, but looks like you are having fun with the lube.

How can you not?!

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 08:25:21 »
Beta invoice received and paid!

Topre REALFORCE