Author Topic: GH-122 Making a Stupidly Large MX (or Alps) Keyboard  (Read 121737 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: GH-122 Making a Stupidly Large MX (or Alps) Keyboard
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:13:23 »
Thanks all!

Looking good.  Only see some nitpicky stuff, nothing function impacting.

What? The wiggly traces that avoid invisible obstacles?  That was to enable standardized switch cells.  Anything else?  Tell me now while they are still just pixels.

(Don't count the between-block trace stubs.  Those will be used or removed.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Exactly that, some traces are a straight 45 degree over, others are two 90s where an earlier stab hole has been removed.  Not functionally different, just looks different.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:54:41 »
If I got a PCB I think I would frame it or put it up on display. I would feel bad soldering on such beauty.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #302 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:57:15 »
If I got a PCB I think I would frame it or put it up on display. I would feel bad soldering on such beauty.

I would buy two and get one epoxied into a table top.   :cool:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:01:20 »
It might be kind of cool to make it possible to have TKL like the IBM

but anything less would just be silly as there are plenty of other choices for regular.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:14:12 »
It might be kind of cool to make it possible to have TKL like the IBM
Show Image

but anything less would just be silly as there are plenty of other choices for regular.

That exact format is the one I am on the brink of struggling to support or abandoning.  Do you think you or anyone else would actually build one?

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  I completely agree it is cool.  Sadly it also puts the controller far to the right of the final column.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:16:01 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:36:46 »
Me, I would be more likely to make a TKL without the top rows, more like an F AT sort of deal. I suppose it would be cool to make it that versatile, but you would have to move all the traces that go to the controller daughterboard and I don't know how hard that is.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 21:19:12 »
How will YOU use those 153 switch positions?  (Yes, I finally counted.)

I can't for the life of me figure out why I might need layers, but I am sure I do.  Right?  And if we have layers, we should have MODES.  That way you can press a single key and be in HTML coding mode, and another and be hacking limbs off of zombies, and another and be designing PCBs, etc.

For some reason gamer keyboards (IIRC) use Gn keys for that purpose.  And it seems like the four keys in the upper-left corner would be good for that purpose.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/5e5991e096e9d247a50933cfded78416

So here is the question:  Should I run indicator LEDs to those four keys?

I mean, WTF, anyhow.  It isn't like this isn't already a stupidly large keyboard.  What are four more traces between fellow freaks friends?

Serious question:  Would indicator LEDs be interesting in that corner of the board?

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 21:22:13 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 22:21:51 »
yeah, that would be almost a perfect use of that four-key cluster.

Make sure it works still if you set it up as three keys though.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 22:51:07 »
Tall TKL support would be cool and I would definitely build one but honestly if it's too much work don't worry about it.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline kalrand

« Reply #309 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:15:17 »

I can't for the life of me figure out why I might need layers, but I am sure I do.  Right?  And if we have layers, we should have MODES.  That way you can press a single key and be in HTML coding mode, and another and be hacking limbs off of zombies, and another and be designing PCBs, etc.

For some reason gamer keyboards (IIRC) use Gn keys for that purpose.  And it seems like the four keys in the upper-left corner would be good for that purpose.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/5e5991e096e9d247a50933cfded78416

So here is the question:  Should I run indicator LEDs to those four keys?

I mean, WTF, anyhow.  It isn't like this isn't already a stupidly large keyboard.  What are four more traces between fellow freaks friends?

Serious question:  Would indicator LEDs be interesting in that corner of the board?

- Ron | samwisekoi

....and using the unicomp cases is out?
My 122 key Model M was born on July 25th, 1988.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 05:53:50 »
That would be cool, this keyboard NEEDS relegendables.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 08:34:14 »
Thanks for the feedback!

....and using the unicomp cases is out?

Oh, no, using the Unicomp PC-122 case is most definitely IN.

You will be limited to a measly 122 keys, however!  ;)

Tall TKL support would be cool and I would definitely build one but honestly if it's too much work don't worry about it.

I shall try.

yeah, that would be almost a perfect use of that four-key cluster.

Make sure it works still if you set it up as three keys though.

Yep.

That would be cool, this keyboard NEEDS relegendables.

Yes, I have come to that conclusion as well.  You can look forward to a small PMK GB for those for sure.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #312 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 08:44:47 »
Using those four keys to toggle layers and having indicator LEDs would be awesome. 

Offline kalrand

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 10:27:24 »
Using those four keys to toggle layers and having indicator LEDs would be awesome. 

Or use the Home/Rule key between the arrow keys...

With a superblack!

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 23:56:13 »

This is what I'm envisioning:

The 1.5-1-1.5 modifiers are easier to source for ALPS caps.  May end up going all-1.25x if any ALPS-oriented group buys get off the ground, although I do have a nice 7x spacebar handy.

I'm probably going to source the "second function row" from a Focus FK-9000, which has a left side function cluster AND some incredibly tall function keys on top.  I'm sort of contemplating a power button somewhere in the left block-- right now.

The big "Run Stop" escape in that location gives it a nice isolation, letting you pound it in frustration easily... something you lose in more conventional 122s.  It may end up being a 1.25x, red-text-on-beige Esc from the FK-9000.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #315 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 09:32:01 »

This is what I'm envisioning:

The 1.5-1-1.5 modifiers are easier to source for ALPS caps.  May end up going all-1.25x if any ALPS-oriented group buys get off the ground, although I do have a nice 7x spacebar handy.

I'm probably going to source the "second function row" from a Focus FK-9000, which has a left side function cluster AND some incredibly tall function keys on top.  I'm sort of contemplating a power button somewhere in the left block-- right now.

The big "Run Stop" escape in that location gives it a nice isolation, letting you pound it in frustration easily... something you lose in more conventional 122s.  It may end up being a 1.25x, red-text-on-beige Esc from the FK-9000.

Very nice layout! I may replicate it in MX. Possibly with a couple of mode keys above the RUN/STOP key.

Also, I have started the process of a small GB for re-legendables to match Nuclear Data Green.  I think 1x and 2x in green and orange.

Finally, the wedge case design I did for the GH36 is a proof of concept for a matching case for this board.  Check it out in the GH36 thread or on Shapeways.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 20:30:40 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

EDIT

Added some color : http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/1e0b6b7678890af0e5de085058ff5711
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 September 2014, 16:48:40 by 0100010 »

Offline engicoder

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 13:25:53 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

I'd bind a bunch of keys to macros to launch commonly used tools such as calculators, terminal windows, browsers, etc.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #318 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 09:48:25 »
I'm good with GH-132.  Just wanted to say thanks for all of your work on this.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 13:18:43 »

Also, I have started the process of a small GB for re-legendables to match Nuclear Data Green.  I think 1x and 2x in green and orange.

Finally, the wedge case design I did for the GH36 is a proof of concept for a matching case for this board.  Check it out in the GH36 thread or on Shapeways.

- Ron | samwisekoi

SA profile I hope? Is it possible to have different rows? I need lots for the lowest rows; my matrix layouts dispense with big spacebars and turn the rest into customized keys.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 13:36:26 »
I suspect it's designed to match the Nuclear Data set, which is all Row 3, as I recall.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #321 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 13:48:20 »
Wondering about adding a solenoid to mine, not sure there is enough power or pins left though.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 13:57:05 »
Just out of curiosity, what would you want to do with a solenoid?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #323 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 14:10:31 »
It's attached to the plunger of a syringe, so every time he strikes a key, it injects just a little heroin in.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #324 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 15:05:16 »
It's attached to the plunger of a syringe, so every time he strikes a key, it injects just a little heroin in.

Ha, no.

Mount it in the case, with the plunger set to hit the side of the case with every keypress.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #325 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 16:29:56 »

Ha, no.

Mount it in the case, with the plunger set to hit the side of the case with every keypress.

Seriously?  Why not a tiny speaker?

In any event, this is such an entertaining concept that if there is an unused pin I shall run it to a pad labelled "SOLENOID".  Or possibly "0100010"

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #326 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 16:51:43 »
LOL!  Was just an idea.  I saw xwhatits solenoid drivers for his USB capsense controllers for the IBM beamsprings, and I saw these small 5V solenoids on sparkfun and thought why the hell not.

On a more serious note - what was the horizontal width between the blocks?  The plate I have drawn up currently has 0.375":

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #327 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 17:04:48 »
0.325" pending a more careful measurement of the Unicomp case.

0.750" vertical gap to the Fn keys.  Probably final.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #328 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 17:13:22 »
If you’ve never tried a keyboard with a solenoid inside, you’re really missing out. Way more fun than a speaker.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #329 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 17:46:56 »

Ha, no.

In any event, this is such an entertaining concept that if there is an unused pin I shall run it to a pad labelled "SOLENOID".  Or possibly "0100010"

- Ron | samwisekoi
solenoid is waaaay better than speaker but there is most likely not enough power from usb to run it and the full LED backlighting as well.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 18:28:23 »

Ha, no.

- Ron | samwisekoi
solenoid is waaaay better than speaker but there is most likely not enough power from usb to run it and the full LED backlighting as well.

This is why Gods gave us external power bricks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline blackbox

« Reply #331 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 09:12:37 »
Just read through the whole thread. Very inspiring and I might buy one when its finished!
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:30:09 »

Ha, no.

- Ron | samwisekoi

This is why Gods gave us external power bricks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Gotta check and see if there's space in the case for a SLA battery

Actually that gives me an idea. I wonder how much power the solenoid uses. Maybe you can power it from a battery that charges whenever you're not typing (like at night when the computer is hibernated, it charges the battery, etc.)

Depending on power requirements you could just charge it pretty dumbly and not even need another teensy pin. (though It'd need some driver circuitry and battery charging on a sub board).

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #333 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 09:34:59 »
I'm working on cases.  This is the shape I have come up with for the GH36, JD40, and GH-122.  It is a "topless wedge" with rounded edges.  It is designed to accept a 3mm/.125" acrylic top panel either as a plate or as a block separator.

Topless Wedge Case by samwisekoi 2014

It is $50 +/- for the smaller boards at Shapeways, but 3D printing is way too expensive ($300+) for an object as long as a GH-122 case.

Anyhow, this is the design path I am taking for the GH-122.  It will hold all possible variations with a simple laser-cut top plate to change.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:16:14 »
3mm plate as block separator?

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #335 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 11:29:09 »
I'm sorry, this doesn't qualify as "stupidly large".

I think this is a good baseline:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #336 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 12:16:16 »
3mm plate as block separator?

Sorry; post was too quick.

That case design is made to use a 3mm/0.125" thick laser-cut top plate.  That top plate can be cut with a large number of 0.55"x0.55" "rectangular" holes to support switches, plus holes for stabilizers and LEDs.  Or, it can be cut with much large rectangular holes plus inverted-T or plus-sign shaped holes for the main keypad block and the various function/bnav key blocks..  If you did the latter, then the top plate would provide the same block separation and gap coverage as the top of a TKL plate does between blocks and around the arrow keys.

And, because the top plate would be the only thing that changes between layouts, the main case can be made in bulk and individuals can have top plates laser or CNC-cut from metal, plastic, or wood as they see fit.

Does that explain the concept better?

(I'd do a rendering, but I've moved to TinkerCAD, and it is down for maintenance this morning.)

I'm sorry, this doesn't qualify as "stupidly large".

I think this is a good baseline:
Show Image

That is actually smaller than the GH-122/153.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:16:20 »
I'm working on cases.  This is the shape I have come up with for the GH36, JD40, and GH-122.  It is a "topless wedge" with rounded edges.  It is designed to accept a 3mm/.125" acrylic top panel either as a plate or as a block separator.

(Attachment Link)
Topless Wedge Case by samwisekoi 2014

It is $50 +/- for the smaller boards at Shapeways, but 3D printing is way too expensive ($300+) for an object as long as a GH-122 case.

Anyhow, this is the design path I am taking for the GH-122.  It will hold all possible variations with a simple laser-cut top plate to change.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Samwisekoi, what do you think of a modular casing design to match the Gh122? If the PCB is easy to cut down for smaller layouts, why not make smaller casing sections that join together? Making kits like these are much easier to ship, build, store, make.

An ugly version is here, Azio Levetron. http://www.mwave.com.au/images/auto_d_image/24020517_02.jpg

Another example is the keyboard I am now typing on, the Tipro. Tipro casings have side panels that can be removed so that the keyboard can be joined up with extra modules. Its all pretty robust and solid. I think it is much easier to cut the casing from multiple flat pieces and join these together, than to do 3D printing. The Tipro pieces are largely flat except for one wedge shaped front panel.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 14:27:22 »
A possibility.  Thanks!

I just now drafted a 2D layout and uploaded it to Pololu for a quote on a similar design made from 3mm and 6mm flat Acrylic pieces.  (For the 5x5" GH36.)  I will use that to evaluate GH-122/153 case design options.

But it is appealing to have some sort of Lego-style modular case.

I'll post the sample I am having made if it doesn't just blow.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 19:02:42 »
... because the top plate would be the only thing that changes between layouts, the main case can be made in bulk and individuals can have top plates laser or CNC-cut from metal, plastic, or wood as they see fit.

Does that explain the concept better?

- Ron | samwisekoi

So basically what you're envisioning is mask or filler for the unused portions of the board, in addition to the normal plate?

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 21:18:16 »
Could a similar case be made by bending sheet metal... maybe with a plastic "plug" on the sides

Offline kalrand

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 23:48:43 »
And the unicomp case?   ...

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 09:30:55 »
Could a similar case be made by bending sheet metal... maybe with a plastic "plug" on the sides

Yes, certainly.  We need two U-bends, one approximately 0.500" diameter and the other approximately 1.750" diameter.  That is the key problem in the case; I cannot find a material that comes in U-bends of both of those sizes.  Acrylic could be heated and draped, styrene could be vacuum-formed, metal could be rolled, and possibly, possibly, PVC pipe could be sliced lengthwise to form the U, but I've found no one who will do that.

And the unicomp case?   ...

As above, the PCB will be sized to fit into the Unicomp PC-122 case.  I have one of those cases at my desk, and I will ensure the PCB can be cut to fit into the 122-key positions on that case.

This is their keyboard:  http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/PC122

Case available in black or Pearl for $20 plus shipping:  http://pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/CVSET

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 13:32:06 »
I could make an acrylic case for this and the GH-36 once the PCBs are finalised. Will definitely not be able to get them made as i am not in India anymore and  handling others money is not something I want to do anymore.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 03:28:31 »
Hey guys

My Tipro photos are up. Please take a look to see if we can gain any lessons from these guys. Sorry that the color is black so it’s really hard to see, and that my photographic skills are non-existent.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63510.msg1487567#msg1487567

-=-=

Offline bianco

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 03:41:19 »
is it possible to add a USB hub/ports to this monster?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #346 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 08:57:35 »

Possible?  Sure.  On the PCB?  Probably not.  In fact, the keyboard might need TWO USB cables just to get enough power if all of the LEDs are populated and lit.  (Apparently this is also true of the new Corsair "tramp stamp" Gaming XL RGB keyboard.)

Hey guys

My Tipro photos are up. Please take a look to see if we can gain any lessons from these guys. Sorry that the color is black so it’s really hard to see, and that my photographic skills are non-existent.

-=-=

Thanks very much.  This is indeed helpful.

Question:  Is the upper casing in photos #27-32 a single piece?  If so, that is the problem piece for the GH-122/153.

But thanks.  These photos will be helpful.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline bianco

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:03:13 »

Possible?  Sure.  On the PCB?  Probably not.  In fact, the keyboard might need TWO USB cables just to get enough power if all of the LEDs are populated and lit.  (Apparently this is also true of the new Corsair "tramp stamp" Gaming XL RGB keyboard.)

Hey guys

-=-=

Question:  Is the upper casing in photos #27-32 a single piece?  If so, that is the problem piece for the GH-122/153.

- Ron | samwisekoi

thanks Ron
although, i don't really mind not having LEDs, i think a hub/port would be more useful for me.
i guess i'll try to find out how to do that

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 10:05:15 »

-=-=

- Ron | samwisekoi
[/quote]

Upper casing is indeed a single piece. But when I think about it, there is no inherent reason why it can't be assembled from several thick (3mm) pieces of plastic screwed together. That should reduce moulding costs which is the issue you're concerned with?

I think one major reason to have a moulded casing is because for most manufacturers ordering tens of thousands of casings, they can pay for the moulds. And in return, spending $2 on screws for each keyboard becomes unnecessary. For us with 50-500 orders getting some complicated mould made won't be economic. But in turn, for us each to spend $2 on a bag of screws is no big deal.

I am hoping that we can work this out well. Because if we can design modular casings effectively, possibly in future all geekhackdom will find it much easier and cheaper and we can attain economies of scale.

I'd bet that all geekhackers buy at least 5000 custom boards and casings per year, and that at least 3000 of these should be possibly covered within modular designs that accommodate numpad, 60%, TKL, 104-key and 122-key. If we can make things such that it becomes possible to shoot for production runs of 1000, we will get some serious support. Look at massdrop sales of a few hundred ergodoxes each batch. Can't we get 1000 people to buy parts sufficient to build casings if they were modular and versatile?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 10:09:18 »
I would recommend against using a secondary USB for power, it is considered very bad practice to do so. A wall-port is the way I would go. I think I posted this some pages back, but you can use the reference circuit from the Arduino board on how to implement an auto-switching USB system between PC-USB and wall-port.

Alternatively (My recommendation), we can use a wall-port powerable USB-hub IC which will handle the power distribution for us and provide extra USB ports to behave as a USB hub.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 10:11:08 by MOZ »