Author Topic: [IC] WS Orchid Strings - 02.10.23 - GB STARTS 15 FEB  (Read 21711 times)

Offline Skeil

• I drink art and draw coffee
[IC] WS Orchid Strings - 02.10.23 - GB STARTS 15 FEB
« on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:05:25 »

WS Orchid Strings

Group Buy is up:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119552.0
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2023, 07:50:00 by Skeil »

Offline Skeil

Re: [IC] WS Orchid Strings
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:06:00 »
Change Log

08/24/2021 - IC Launch
08/25/2021 - Format tweaks/voting redone for better clarity
09/03/2021 - Tilted 40 render addon
11/07/2022 - 2022 Update, Revised Kitting

To Do List

• Market set idk
  • Obtain collaborations (if you're interested please contact me!)
  • Acquire keycap samples
  • Acquire deskmat samples
  • Finalize the design of metal novelties

Possible Stuff?

Full 40s mod kit
    Finish illustration by the time the GB starts, to give more context and tie in the set's theme
    [/list]

« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2022, 10:48:24 by Skeil »

Offline Afresh

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:15:19 »
    reserved reserved

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:15:41 »
    I like this set. Numpad legends seem to be the wrong color though unless that’s a design choice

Offline drunken_sailor

• * Vendor
    • I'm from KeebCats!
      • KeebCats
    « Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:16:16 »
    No international kits :eek: I need me some ISO-UK.

Beautiful colourway, GLWIC!

Offline Skeil

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:18:36 »

Unfortunately yes, at least for this round. Making molds for international legend molds would be too much for Wuque at this stage, but I hope it will be a possibility for future sets!

Offline drunken_sailor

• * Vendor
    • I'm from KeebCats!
      • KeebCats
    « Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:19:44 »

Unfortunately yes, at least for this round. Making molds for international legend molds would be too much for Wuque at this stage, but I hope it will be a possibility for future sets!

At least there's an ISO enter, I can live with that 🙌

Offline andromache

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:25:55 »
    I am all about that hot pink accent.

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
    « Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:42:10 »
    What's the point of posting the picture of the pantone plastic chips if you won't tell us the color codes.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:43:57 »

The "<>" in the alpha kit should be in R4 with the 2nd b.

Offline Skeil

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:55:39 »

The "<>" in the alpha kit should be in R4 with the 2nd b.

Fixed! Thanks a lot for pointing that out.

Offline Skeil

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:58:49 »
    What's the point of posting the picture of the pantone plastic chips if you won't tell us the color codes.

We felt showing an IRL sample was still a good idea to get a picture of how the set will potentially look like IRL.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 08:02:23 »
    Accent kit renders are cool, but those alphas are not available so a bit pointless.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 08:04:04 »
    If either the red orange or cyan alpha kits are avail, I will 100% pick up this set. Preferably both, but idk how many extra kits you can add. Anyways, good luck!

Offline Skeil

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 08:06:58 »
    If either the red orange or cyan alpha kits are avail, I will 100% pick up this set. Preferably both, but idk how many extra kits you can add. Anyways, good luck!

Appreciate it! We will offer only one additional colorway for this round.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 08:47:45 »
    Spacebar kits seem to be labeled incorrectly. The novelties are shown in the imgur gallery but not in the Geekhack thread so it might be a good idea to show those here as well. You should also move r1 PgUp and End to numpad kit since those are used for 1800 layouts.

GLWIC!

Offline TurboGrinder

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 09:45:27 »
    That 40s kit is scuffed. The glaring issues I noticed right off the bat is that the r1 1.75 backspace should be r2, and the r2 2.25 enter is mislabeled - it looks to be 1.75. It should also be on r3. It will also need some more bars.

I replied to the IC form with some resources that will hopefully be helpful. If you need more help with the kit you can join us in the #keyset-design channel in the 40s Discord.

Offline unusuaL_

• Illustrious
    « Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 10:13:10 »
    Nice colourway. glwic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    collection: yae60 proto, f1-8k (cocogoat shill), hhkb pro2

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 10:48:32 »
    Didn't know Waque studios manu'd keycaps! Glwic

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
    « Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 11:48:53 »
    Hot pink accents is an insta-buy, but I'm not sure whats up with the alt accents. Each has a different alpha colorway with a different accent kit -- maybe this could be clarified / streamlined.
    ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Skeil

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 12:42:35 »
    Hot pink accents is an insta-buy, but I'm not sure whats up with the alt accents. Each has a different alpha colorway with a different accent kit -- maybe this could be clarified / streamlined.

We are planning to offer an additional colorway for purchase if there's enough interest. This is why you see a split of modifiers and alphas to accompany that concept. Once the second colorway is chosen, I will add additional kits of that color.

Offline Skeil

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 14:09:43 »
    Added new renders, the board is Tilted40 by Swishy  ;D

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 21:44:57 »
    Can we please stop ruining 40s kitting? This keeps happening with other PBT sets and everyone is just copying the same terrible kits off each other.

40s have unique modifiers in R2 and R3, and sometimes one or two in R4. They share the same R4 bottom row keys as normal keyboards. You can cover the overwhelming majority of spacebar layouts with 2 / 2.25 / 2.75 (standard Alice) and a 6.25. 2x3u is often appreciated in spacebar kits.

There are two ways to do 40s kitting in ePBT (which is where this kitting has been copied from):

1. Do a proper base kit with alphas and mods for 60%+ boards and add a 40s-specific kit with the unique R2/R3/R4 mods only (and spacebars if you don't have Alice in base).

2. Do separate alphas and mods and include a 40s mod kit that has both the unique R2/R3/R4 keys and the common bottom row keys that are shared with other keyboards.

The way your kitting is setup currently is such that if somebody wants to cover a 40% they need to buy alphas, the 40s kit for the unique 40s keys, and then the regular mod kit in order to get like 6 keys for their bottom row, and then the spacebar kit for the spacebars. This is something that's insanely easy to fix.

If you're absolutely set on not doing a base kit (I don't know why? Just do a base kit) then you should do a proper 40s kit that offers coverage for the majority of 40s and ortho boards when combined with the alphas, so 40% users can just buy two kits.

If you want a good example of basekit + 40s addon, check out ePBT Origami kitting (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112884.0)

If you want a good example of alphas + 40s modkit, check out ePBT Acid House (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112022.0)

That's it. Do one of those kits. Then get some people who know stuff in either keycap discord or 40s discord to fix any minor mistakes. But stop repeating this awful four-kit 40s kitting that lazy designers have been pushing recently.

Offline nmzpz

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 23:16:58 »
    ooohhh i love this color :eek: :eek:

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 04:29:07 »
    The iso novelty of kitting vote is not necessary imo. This is WS so it's not expensive as GMK, why choose to vote out all iso users? This does not make any sense. Why not include both choices in the novelty kit?

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 05:28:30 »
    Color is sick. Hope the pricing isn't too crazy.

Also 2 tab keys on the mod kit would be nice, or an extra tab for the alpha kit.

Offline Skeil

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 08:59:40 »
    Color is sick. Hope the pricing isn't too crazy.

Also 2 tab keys on the mod kit would be nice, or an extra tab for the alpha kit.

Prices will be comparable to WS Kraken, whose prices have been revealed already! Once we are confident in Orchid's kits, we will reveal the prices as well.

Offline Skeil

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 09:03:26 »
    Can we please stop ruining 40s kitting? This keeps happening with other PBT sets and everyone is just copying the same terrible kits off each other.

40s have unique modifiers in R2 and R3, and sometimes one or two in R4. They share the same R4 bottom row keys as normal keyboards. You can cover the overwhelming majority of spacebar layouts with 2 / 2.25 / 2.75 (standard Alice) and a 6.25. 2x3u is often appreciated in spacebar kits.

There are two ways to do 40s kitting in ePBT (which is where this kitting has been copied from):

1. Do a proper base kit with alphas and mods for 60%+ boards and add a 40s-specific kit with the unique R2/R3/R4 mods only (and spacebars if you don't have Alice in base).

2. Do separate alphas and mods and include a 40s mod kit that has both the unique R2/R3/R4 keys and the common bottom row keys that are shared with other keyboards.

The way your kitting is setup currently is such that if somebody wants to cover a 40% they need to buy alphas, the 40s kit for the unique 40s keys, and then the regular mod kit in order to get like 6 keys for their bottom row, and then the spacebar kit for the spacebars. This is something that's insanely easy to fix.

If you're absolutely set on not doing a base kit (I don't know why? Just do a base kit) then you should do a proper 40s kit that offers coverage for the majority of 40s and ortho boards when combined with the alphas, so 40% users can just buy two kits.

If you want a good example of basekit + 40s addon, check out ePBT Origami kitting (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112884.0)

If you want a good example of alphas + 40s modkit, check out ePBT Acid House (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112022.0)

That's it. Do one of those kits. Then get some people who know stuff in either keycap discord or 40s discord to fix any minor mistakes. But stop repeating this awful four-kit 40s kitting that lazy designers have been pushing recently.

Alpha&Mod kits split exists to accommodate the second colorway option. Since I do have a separate alpha kit now, I am thinking of the possibility of making a full 40s modifier kit (like ePBT Kavala) that would offer an opportunity for 40s user to just get alpha + 40s kit instead. Right now, I am waiting for info if that is possible though. 

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 09:13:59 »
    Alpha&Mod kits split exists to accommodate the second colorway option. Since I do have a separate alpha kit now, I am thinking of the possibility of making a full 40s modifier kit (like ePBT Kavala) that would offer an opportunity for 40s user to just get alpha + 40s kit instead. Right now, I am waiting for info if that is possible though.

Okay, maybe I am not being clear here.

There are two ways to do 40s kitting and you did it the wrong way. There's nothing to think about. Either a) do a proper base kit, or b) fix your 40s kit. Those are the options.

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 10:07:43 »
    Are there any real life photos of previous WS keycaps
    « Last Edit: Sat, 04 September 2021, 11:48:05 by finalarcadia »

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 12:01:42 »
    Reminds a lot of Hyper Light Drifter with the colour set and geometric shapes. GL, curious to see how this one turns out, i'll be in when there's proper ISO UK.

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
    « Reply #31 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 12:30:05 »

There are two ways to do 40s kitting and you did it the wrong way. There's nothing to think about. Either a) do a proper base kit, or b) fix your 40s kit. Those are the options.

You offer a lot of valuable input, and I get that it can be frustrating to repeatedly encounter suboptimal kitting for one's particular flavour of layout - but it's just keycaps. OP is obviously willing to accommodate 40s, no need to be so acrimonious.

Offline Skeil

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 13:56:03 »
    Reminds a lot of Hyper Light Drifter with the colour set and geometric shapes. GL, curious to see how this one turns out, i'll be in when there's proper ISO UK.

Thanks! A fellow HLT fan! I'm all out for supporting international kits, but it won't be possible for this round, unfortunately. The same goes for ortho kits as well, they require a ton of unique molds, which are pricy.

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 19:19:27 »

You offer a lot of valuable input, and I get that it can be frustrating to repeatedly encounter suboptimal kitting for one's particular flavour of layout - but it's just keycaps. OP is obviously willing to accommodate 40s, no need to be so acrimonious.

I wasn't being acrimonious - just trying to make sure that my point wasn't diluted in needless details about R2 backspaces and R3 tabs.
    « Last Edit: Sat, 04 September 2021, 20:19:33 by Mecxs »

Offline Skeil

Re: [IC] WS Orchid Strings - 2022 Update, Revised Kitting
    « Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 November 2022, 11:23:40 »
    2022 UPDATE

Revised Kitting

Hey friends, it has been awhile!

After so much time one might think that Orchid Strings was buried and forgotten, but all this time me (and by extension you) have been waiting patiently for updates for Wuque. I'm excited to share more news as they are coming, but rest assured, WS Orchid Strings is alive and well.

As for the update, I've been meaning to address the issue with horrendous 40s kitting. Wuque has approached me and offered me to combine everything into one, big kit for faster lead times and cheaper prices.

For this reason, I completely revised the kitting and instead of modular kitting (Modifier + Alpha + Numpad and etc), I plan to offer two big base kits - one TKL and one 40s (proper support this time trust me). Additionally offering numpad and accent spacebar kits.

Oh, and purple has won the accent poll, so it will be offered as a secondary accent.

As of this moment, I'm waiting color samples photos and quotes for the kitting.   

Please check out a 2022 version of the IC form here:

IC FORM 2022 - Revised Kitting
    « Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2022, 11:33:24 by Skeil »

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 November 2022, 23:06:02 »
    Ohhh I wasn’t expecting this IC to be up again :cool:

I really like the design but I’m a little disappointed about the secondary colour choice. Think a more contrasting colour would’ve added more value, more fun to mix and match or just give the set a whole different flavour. There’s been a few sets with purple legends on a dark base by now. Purple fatigue for me.
    “This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 07:15:26 »
    Nice too see this set alive and well, something else to consider- you may want to find a new collaborator for the metal artisan you have listed here e.g. HIBI or Salvun

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
      • treeleaf64
    « Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 08:43:19 »
    Doubleshot? nice! Any flower and I am in : )
    What's the price point of WS dshot?
    treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline whomad1215

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 November 2022, 19:43:53 »
    giving me Transistor (the game) vibes

Offline Skeil

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 16 December 2022, 03:39:40 »
    12.16.22 UPDATE

Re-revision, no purple color

Let's start with the elephant in the room, or lack there off.

Purple is gone. Magenta will be the only accent available for purchase. The reasoning is that I've been told that each kit and each colorway will have its own MOQ, meaning if I were to keep the Purple accent, the GB would have to hit 4 separate MOQs.

And we got another revision! The reasoning is to lower MOQ and pricing across all kits. The novelty kit has been reworked and moved back to standalone (and you'll see a nice surprise there :D).

As a treat, here's a prototype of Orchid Strings inspired colorway of Spilled Dragon R2  :D

PS. I also received the quotes for the current iteration of the kitting (which I plan to be the last), and they're looking pretty good. Hopefully I'll able to share the official pricing of Orchid Strings soon  :-*

« Last Edit: Fri, 16 December 2022, 03:46:56 by Skeil »

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
    Re: [IC] WS Orchid Strings - 12.16.22 | No more purple, reworked Novelty kit
    « Reply #40 on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 14:24:00 »
    Pink and Greyish tones are my favorite. Will be interesting to see what people think of WS keycaps. Might pick this up.

Offline Ikeygai Designs

Re: [IC] WS Orchid Strings - 12.16.22 | No more purple, reworked Novelty kit
    « Reply #41 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 21:03:45 »
    these colors are awesome!

Offline Skeil

Re: [IC] WS Orchid Strings - 02.10.23 - GB STARTS 15 FEB
    « Reply #42 on: Fri, 10 February 2023, 11:38:44 »
    02.10.23 UPDATE

FINISH LINE, GB STARTS AT 15th FEBRUARY

Buckle up your seat belts gents, the group buy starts at 15th February!

Wuque is finalizing the list of vendors and I will update the list as soon as I have all the info. We finalized the color chips, as well as the pricing and the timings, all of which you can check out here:

https://shop.wuquestudio.com/products/ws-orchid-strings?_pos=2&_sid=4b87eaad4&_ss=r&variant=44370041176234

So stoked that Orchid Strings is finally coming to reality. I've been working on this project for over 2 years now, and I hope those that will buy it will enjoy this keyset to the fullest.