Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 411182 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2450 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 17:45:06 »
understand what you're saying there, and it is definitely worth a try, however, why would it be crashing at random points in time if it is a problem with dependencies. it loads up perfectly fine, and sometimes will work for a decent period of time (very rarely), but it almost always crashes at some point, even when i have not given any user input to change anything. is discord trying to do something in the background? if it is, why does it sometimes work for a good amount of time, and sometimes not ¯\_(ツ)_/
It may only be crashing when it makes a specific call to that resource/dependency or another program steals a specific resource/dependency it needs.

The Appimage is probably your safest and easiest thing to try but ultimately I'd point the finger at Discord.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2451 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 18:17:48 »
Just out of curiosity and laziness, I have both my desktop and laptop set to dual-boot into Windows and Mint Cinnamon, but generally use Windows.

In your opinion, which recent release of Mint is most superior for the casual user? I keep my Linux directories lean and clean, and could upgrade with minimum drama (aka trauma).
The most recent tends to always be the recommendation.
Mint is pretty consistent with user experience and interface, I didn't spend a lot of time in Mint 20 (just long enough to check that) but it all seemed the same. It's Mint (and Linux), nothing changes very quickly.

One thing I will recommend though is if/when you move more into Linux as your primary system is to get off Mint.
I love Mint, it's FANTASTIC for new Linux users but long term it's got a massive Achilles heel and that is updating to new versions. The upgrade from 16 to 17 was the last time it went remotely smooth for me on any system I've worked on and pretty much always required a re-install, I think it was 18-19 that even flubbed a fresh Virtualbox install upgrade I did as a test. I just don't get it, I know of no other distro that consistently screws this up, which is all the more unacceptable considering Mint is the distro of choice for people coming from Windows and that Linux makes it so darn easy to backup and move your data. Most people who left ended up on an Arch based distro which doesn't use distro version updates.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2452 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 19:18:26 »

pretty much always required a re-install,

For now, I don't keep anything of value in the core Mint ecosystem for long. Generally I have various internal and external hard drives where everything important goes, and so any new OS installation goes onto a new hard drive bought fresh for the project. These days hard drives are cheap enough that springing for a new one for the OS every 2-3 years seems like a no-brainer.

"We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles." – The bold and brilliant dream which excited the founders of this Nation still awaits its consummation. Ours was the first society openly to define itself in terms of both spirituality and of human liberty. It is that unique self–definition which has given us an exceptional appeal, but it also imposes on us a special obligation: to take on those moral duties which, when assumed, seem invariably to be in our own best interests.
The American dream endures. We must once again have full faith in our country – and in one another. I believe America can be better. We can be even stronger than before. Let our recent mistakes bring a resurgent commitment to the basic principles of our Nation, for we know that if we despise our own government we have no future. We recall in special times when we have stood briefly, but magnificently, united. In those times no prize was beyond our grasp.
But we cannot dwell upon remembered glory. We cannot afford to drift. Our Government must at the same time be both competent and compassionate. Our Nation can be strong abroad only if it is strong at home. And we know that the best way to enhance freedom in other lands is to demonstrate here that our democratic system is worthy of emulation. To be true to ourselves, we must be true to others. We must not behave in foreign places so as to violate our rules and standards here at home, for we know that the trust which our Nation earns is essential to our strength. 
– excerpts from Jimmy Carter inauguration speech 1977

Offline yui

« Reply #2453 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 00:39:49 »
i had the same experience with OpenSuse leap, keeping the /home in a separate partition helps a lot with not losing much though, and having switched to tumbleweed that problem is pretty much existent (rolling release, should never need to upgrade but i get huge updates everyday)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Altis

« Reply #2454 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:28:57 »
I'm still on Mint Xfce for most of what I do and it's by far the best distro and one of the best operating systems I've ever used. It's super fast, stable, and seems to just work with my hardware and software.

I still do use Windows 10 for certain software, though.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Keytrak (Blue Alps) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- G80-1800 (MX Blue) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad

Offline yui

« Reply #2455 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 01:18:35 »
last update on Opensuse tumbleweed and steam made steam work fully :) i do not know for how long, but it does, right now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2456 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 20:37:49 »
We'd sort of standardised on CentOS (mostly for servers) at work and home, but since the debacle with CentOS 8 we've switched back to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is also more similar to Raspbian on my Raspberry Pis, so it's all good.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueberryIsHere

• Formerly KaptainKitsune
  • Just a normal guy
« Reply #2457 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 07:38:34 »
I use Arch  :cool:. No particular reason other than the fairly minimal install (which immediately dies once I'm through with it)

Offline kizuna

« Reply #2458 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 20:39:00 »
I use Arch with gnome on my thinkpad and MX linux on my desktop Xfce. After alot of distro hopping I do like MX linux the best.

Offline yui

« Reply #2459 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 07:49:41 »
do anyone ever tried to run an LTO drive on linux? i have trouble with MT, when i try to get the status of it i get activity on the wrong port on my HBA (HBA being an HP P800 and the LTO drive an HP Ultrium 448 on port 3 drive 0, i get activity on port 4 that has nothing plugged).
wondering if someone here tried and managed to make something like that work.

Offline StickyBlueJuice

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2460 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 04:17:59 »
Switched out Windows on my main PC for Pop!_OS - damn that is awesome.
The only game I play at the moment is WoW and it runs fantastic.
Other than that the OS doesn't get in the way at all. Just works.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2461 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 22:26:55 »
Any recommendations for a user-friendly rolling release distro? Is Manjaro a good way to go? I don't have any major requirements other than having basic development tools available in repositories, but don't want to spend a bunch of time vetting software updates for compatibility with my system. If it matters, I don't need bleeding-edge hardware support, the hardware I'm considering is about 5 years old.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2462 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 05:47:30 »
Any recommendations for a user-friendly rolling release distro? Is Manjaro a good way to go? I don't have any major requirements other than having basic development tools available in repositories, but don't want to spend a bunch of time vetting software updates for compatibility with my system. If it matters, I don't need bleeding-edge hardware support, the hardware I'm considering is about 5 years old.
Depends on your skill level and how much definition you want for the software.

Manjaro is good, it fights me a bit here and there but many absolutely love it and it has a big community and buffers you from the latest bugs similar to other major distros.
Endeavour is another good one, though it's still a bit new, it takes over from Antergos, which was an absolute favorite of mine. While stable it's a bit more bleeding edge than Manjaro but only by the smallest of margins.

Arco is another good one, I personally prefer it since I can use the Type D version to install kernel, wireless and networking and install everything by hand from there, meaning it's absolutely stripped to the bone other than enough to get going but they offer standard installs as well. Arco is about as close to pure Arch as you will get without going pure Arch, meaning it's a bit more bleeding edge than the other two but I like not having anything extra but without the hassles of pure Arch.

If you're experienced any of the 3 will work, if you're still new to Linux, go with Majaro, it's by far the most noob friendly.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #2463 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 06:16:49 »
Or just go Ubuntu, it works. Everything is fine out of the box and stays that way.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2464 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 07:06:23 »
Or just go Ubuntu, it works. Everything is fine out of the box and stays that way.
Did they make it rolling release then or is it still number and associated alliterative animal?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #2465 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 09:17:23 »
Did they make it rolling release then or is it still number and associated alliterative animal?

Hirsute Hippo...
They're still doing the 3 year LTS, 9 month standard support thing.

I can't remember the last time I ran across someone running Linux on their desktop at work.
Finding a decent laptop that ships with Linux and a warranty is hard, so people usually opt for a Mac.
Server side I usually see Ubuntu, CentOS and CoreOS.  And lots and lots of containers.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 July 2021, 09:22:44 by MajorKoos »

Offline nuudul

« Reply #2466 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 10:31:35 »
I use funtoo, and it was my first linux distro. I'm planning on trying arch some time soon on one of my spare computers though.

Funtoo? First distro?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2467 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 11:54:56 »

I've been using Linux Mint for the past 5ish years, and have no major complaints. I have nothing against it, just looking to try out something a bit different.

Depends on your skill level and how much definition you want for the software.

Manjaro is good, it fights me a bit here and there but many absolutely love it and it has a big community and buffers you from the latest bugs similar to other major distros.
Endeavour is another good one, though it's still a bit new, it takes over from Antergos, which was an absolute favorite of mine. While stable it's a bit more bleeding edge than Manjaro but only by the smallest of margins.

Arco is another good one, I personally prefer it since I can use the Type D version to install kernel, wireless and networking and install everything by hand from there, meaning it's absolutely stripped to the bone other than enough to get going but they offer standard installs as well. Arco is about as close to pure Arch as you will get without going pure Arch, meaning it's a bit more bleeding edge than the other two but I like not having anything extra but without the hassles of pure Arch.

If you're experienced any of the 3 will work, if you're still new to Linux, go with Majaro, it's by far the most noob friendly.

I like the sound of Manjaro having a bit of a buffer, so will likely give that one a try. What you describe with Arco Type D sounds like what I did with a Debian netinstall about 6 years ago. That was fun, but more work than I'd like to do again at this point.

I hope I've got enough experience with linux to make the transition not too difficult. It's been a lot of years since I used a non-Debian-based distro, so I'm interested in seeing what the other side looks like.

I can't remember the last time I ran across someone running Linux on their desktop at work.
Finding a decent laptop that ships with Linux and a warranty is hard, so people usually opt for a Mac.
Server side I usually see Ubuntu, CentOS and CoreOS.  And lots and lots of containers.

Dell used to sell (and still might) a version of their XPS 13 with Ubuntu and full warranty/support -- I think they called it the 'Developer Edition'. In my experience, their support was very accommodating about using other distributions on that hardware as well, but for major issues they would typically want you to revert back to their Ubuntu image for troubleshooting.

Linux is probably more common in my environment than a typical office though. I do still see a lot of macs used for remote access to CentOS servers.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2468 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 22:35:04 »
I like the sound of Manjaro having a bit of a buffer, so will likely give that one a try. What you describe with Arco Type D sounds like what I did with a Debian netinstall about 6 years ago. That was fun, but more work than I'd like to do again at this point.

I hope I've got enough experience with linux to make the transition not too difficult. It's been a lot of years since I used a non-Debian-based distro, so I'm interested in seeing what the other side looks like.
Arco D takes planning, same as Arch or Debian or Slack or.... Arco D just removes the hassle of the initial install, similar to Ubuntu Server. I pretty much can guarantee I can backup, reinstall, and have all my data back in place other than games in less time than most users or even most distros can really even get started putting everything back. While it sounds daunting to have to install all your programs, if you keep notes, it's really just a simple command.

Here's my install process
Install Arco D with zero extras.
update
. . . (you literally type update on Arco)
sudo pacman -S sddm plasma-meta libreoffice-fresh dolphin-plugins ark
. . . (installs desktop manager, kde, libreoffice, file manager and de/compression program, this can be split up to simplify it but there's a reason it's so much to do manually)
sudo systemctl enable sddm
. . . (enables desktop manager)
reboot
. . . (type reboot)

Once inside I restore my data (this is why I needed dolphin and ark), open my cheat sheet (this is why I install libreoffice-fresh) and copy this one large command that installs all my apps at once. This is not technically everything, I install a few things from the AUR later but you get the idea.
sudo pacman -S gparted thunderbird filezilla openscad gimp gthumb gnome-disk-utility traceroute gdmap okular pavucontrol spectacle htop nano firefox i7z glances kbackup keepass cura qbittorrent prusa-slicer galculator kate gedit vlc gnome-keyring kwalletmanager uget audacious freecad vinagre cura falkon

Enable bluetooth (disabled by default)
sudo systemctl enable bluetooth
sudo systemctl start bluetooth

Total time about 15-20 minutes if I hurry, but I can be back and running for the most part in 10 minutes.
From this I tweak the look, install video drivers if needed, Steam, start my games installing, all this takes another 10 minutes but it takes a while for the games to download. BUT... This whole thing only works if you keep a USB installer handy, easy to access backups, have a cheat sheet/notes for your list of apps to install and aren't constantly having to go search for commands. If you take the time to build a cheat sheet and have a good backup system in place it can really streamline things.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2469 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 03:33:15 »
Your first set of installs before rebooting don't seem to handle networking (though maybe they do through dependencies) so why not install, reboot, login as root (nothing's running and it's your house so hopefully no security risk) and run a script from the command line to do everything?  Would only save seconds of interaction but you could be doing something else.  Though I guess you wouldn't be back in X(?) quite as quickly (you could switch to another terminal and start it) and it could go wrong early without you noticing so actually take longer...

Think I answered myself - it depends on your priorities, and as a user who's not reinstalled for nearly 3 years mine are probably very different to yours :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2470 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 21:38:42 »
Your first set of installs before rebooting don't seem to handle networking (though maybe they do through dependencies) so why not install, reboot, login as root (nothing's running and it's your house so hopefully no security risk) and run a script from the command line to do everything?  Would only save seconds of interaction but you could be doing something else.  Though I guess you wouldn't be back in X(?) quite as quickly (you could switch to another terminal and start it) and it could go wrong early without you noticing so actually take longer...

Think I answered myself - it depends on your priorities, and as a user who's not reinstalled for nearly 3 years mine are probably very different to yours :)
The base install of Arco installs networking.
I have considered making a script to do it but by the time you get to that point it's just as easy to copy/paste.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #2471 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 08:01:52 »
my new favorite distro is OpenSuse Tumbleweed, even though it is not great for gaming the not having to upgrade version every 1, 2 or 3 years is very attractive to me