Author Topic: [IC-2] Coarse60 - PROTOTYPE RECEIVED - Affordable Leaf-Spring Alice 60%  (Read 3863 times)

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
Coarse 60% IC-2

266230-0

Introduction and Updates

After a few months of reflection and redesigning I'm coming to you with a second interest check and two different paths we can take for the future of Coarse60. After seeing the prototype, I was reinvigorated with the idea of a more blocky aesthetic. In this IC I will present to you both the slim and blocky versions of the Coarse60, and you will decide which one is chosen through the IC form.

Update 4/26 Due to popular opinion, e-white has been added to the color selection. Available colors are now black, navy, and e-white.

Update 4/13 Streamlined version has won with a large majority. We have ordered a prototype for it.

I urge you to fill out the one-question IC form, as you will be influencing which design we will finally decide on!
https://forms.gle/XxCpr7ZrBoBtrjz19

Lastly, after more manufacturer quoting, I can confirm that this keyboard will not only be under $200 but under $185. Not half bad!

Discord for updates: https://discord.gg/dRjsAh5jMX

Table of Contents
Intro and Updates
Specifications
Blocky Version + Prototype Photos
Coarse60 Streamlined
Frequently Asked Questions
Closing Remarks

Specifications
If you require any more information feel free to join the Keebsforall discord server, leave a comment, or refer back to IC-1: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111192.0;topicseen

Front Height: ~20 (blocky), ~19 (streamlined)
Additional keys supported: split backspace, 2u spacebar, split rshift, stepped capslock. All supported with hotswap.
Typing Angle: 6.9 deg
Plate materials: aluminum, FR4
Case colors: Navy and Black

Blocky Version
Prototype Photos
Photos were taken with a Canon 7D. Colorway is navy, plate material is anodized aluminum.

266230-1

Other photos (Geekhack has an image cap): https://imgur.com/a/Rl1vws5

I think these photos did the design more justice than my renders (thanks again Jerry). As you can see in the photos the anodization is nicely done. I will leave the rest up to you to decide in the IC form!

Blocky 2nd Iteration

266232-2
266234-3

What is the second iteration?

The prototype turned out extremely well. However, I have made a second iteration of the blocky Coarse60, that is visually almost identical but has many positive functional changes.

Thickening of walls
266236-4
266238-5

A big concern with the first IC of this project was the potential for a hollow sound. To combat this, I thickened the walls as much as possible, leaving less room for echo. Additionally, as you can see in the prototype photo, the walls of the case get to be extremely thin where the panel fastens on, in some places a little less than 1mm.

Epic USB Port
266240-6

You may have noticed that there is just a gaping hole in the prototype. This is because we did not at that time know if we had top or bottom mount USB port. Now we have confirmed top USB port. There is some vertical clearance so the assembly can flex. Although it may look like a lot of clearance in this photo, it is actually about 1mm.

Plate Redesign
266242-7

I decided to make the flex cuts a little thinner, and since there is a smaller inner chamber there is no longer room for one on bottom center of the plate. Additionally, to make the plate compatible with any alice-style PCB, there are stabilizer cutouts for both north and south-facing stabilizers.

Slim Version
Renders

266244-8

Rest of photos: https://imgur.com/a/xJekGkH

The bezels on the slim version are reduced by 45%, and the top edge chamfer is increased by 80%. Functionally it is the same, and in terms of feel it is also the same as blocky. The front height is reduced by about 1 mm.

FAQ

So all positions mentioned in the specifications are supported with hotswap?
Yes, thanks to creative hotswap socket positioning by our PCB guy taylor.

Iso Support?
No, by nature of alice layout.

Won't the sound be hollow?
This was one of our concerns as well. I think the thick walls and acrylic bottom plate will work together to create a more full sound. I am currently working on a plate foam. Additionally, if necessary, we will look into a silicone dampener as well.

Can you further explain the mounting?
Of course - If you look at the photo of the plate, there are four holes, one in each corner. Those will be used to screw the plate into the case, and will be the only points of pressure on the plate. The plate will flex when the strips of metal connecting the hole to the main plate bend.

Closing Remarks
I have been working very hard on this keyboard and hope you enjoy it.

Remember, if you want your voice to be heard, please fill out the IC form! https://forms.gle/5PenPDj3qzUCxake9

Special Thanks:

Jerry at Keebsforall - keyboard strategy stuff

Candice at Keebsforall - groupbuy stuff

Patrick from Neokeys - extremely helpful file review

Rhuk.tech - USB port legend

Taylor - PCB man

Family and friends

and all the other amazing designers in this community that have inspired me.

Thank You for reading.

-seh0nky

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 April 2021, 09:45:13 by seh0nk »

Offline hayt

• * Maker
Re: [IC-2] Coarse60 - PROTOTYPE RECEIVED - Affordable Leaf-Spring Alice 60%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 18:19:25 »
P cool

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 18:25:21 »
damn that is a lot of keyboard, looks nice. That usb port is a pretty good compromise if you don't want to use a db.
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 18:27:30 »
Can we see a slim one with virtually no chamfer? I think that would be extremely clean.

Offline adularescence

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:34:39 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

i am determined to shell out money for this regardless of the design chosen

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:51:40 »
uh... it seems I forgot to reserve a post. Anyway reserved

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:55:29 »
P cool
:thumb:

Can we see a slim one with virtually no chamfer? I think that would be extremely clean.
I will look into this. Good idea!

damn that is a lot of keyboard, looks nice. That usb port is a pretty good compromise if you don't want to use a db.
Thanks!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

i am determined to shell out money for this regardless of the design chosen

Thanks for the support  :thumb:

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 01:00:18 »
Looks good so far - I saw a few comments on the other thread about how it was bad that it was a rectangle, but I'm all for it. Tons of keyboards are plain rectangles, and an Alice layout as a rectangle is pretty unique actually. Kind of like the Lubrigante, where I preferred the rectangular version over the chinned version. Though the little bit of rounding where the acrylic bottom piece meets the case looks a bit strange. How come this needed a new thread?

Offline MisterWaffle

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 01:07:39 »
yuge keyboard. like the angle

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 10:26:05 »
Looks good so far - I saw a few comments on the other thread about how it was bad that it was a rectangle, but I'm all for it. Tons of keyboards are plain rectangles, and an Alice layout as a rectangle is pretty unique actually. Kind of like the Lubrigante, where I preferred the rectangular version over the chinned version. Though the little bit of rounding where the acrylic bottom piece meets the case looks a bit strange. How come this needed a new thread?
Thanks for the feedback. Could you elaborate on which edge is rounded? As for your last question, I thought this warranted a new thread because the design decision we had to make was very significant, and the prototype had been received.

yuge keyboard. like the angle
Thanks!

Offline hizkia

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 13:12:53 »
Nice Boar, Nice Design alreadyd submit the IC Form.

really want hear your opinion about the typing feel on this keyboard and the sound test.

Thank you.