Author Topic: [IC] KAT Subtitles - Project on Pause  (Read 30547 times)

Offline RoyalOak88

Re: [IC] KAT Subtitles - Added BoW and some kitting changes (4/28)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 18:03:36 »
Nice job!
By the way that this is unfolding, can be one of those all in sets  :D

I kitted to not combine kits to make an all-in-one set :(

I mean it's possible and won't exactly do anything to me... but I like seeing combinations of people mixing what alphas with what mods

When I said all in I meant buy all sets   :)
Now I just need that International South support kit haha

Offline Friendship

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 18:33:02 »
I went to fill out the IC to express that I dislike this set and I'm not sure you could do anything to fix it so that I'd like it. Only option is "yes" for buy. So here's my interest check: no

can this be a new copypasta
Collection: LZ GHv2, Esheu Fallacy, Moesode Bliss, Daji Ocho Cuatro, Ace Saturn60, Bolsa Midway60, MLI NUM1, MLI VISION, PW ROTR

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 21:08:58 »
I went to fill out the IC to express that I dislike this set and I'm not sure you could do anything to fix it so that I'd like it. Only option is "yes" for buy. So here's my interest check: no

I'm not a fan either but I'd rather just not spend time of my day expressing it? And if I did, I'd probably be more constructive? For me I thought it was okay at first but seeing it on renders was way too jumbled and a mess, maybe you can contribute and help it improved??
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline dandruff

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 02:33:58 »

can this be a new copypasta

Yes, but not my thread  :p

I'm not a fan either but I'd rather just not spend time of my day expressing it? And if I did, I'd probably be more constructive? For me I thought it was okay at first but seeing it on renders was way too jumbled and a mess, maybe you can contribute and help it improved??

Yeah, I feel like this set isn't for everyone. The con is that it's crowded, but the pro is that it's crowded. This was a very "different" thing for me, and I knew some would straight-up hate it, and some would like it. I just wanted to do something that was outside of just color changes. Genuinely unsure how I would find a "medium," so at the moment, I'm committing to the crowded appeal.

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 13:55:26 »
Oo, this is a cool set! Have you tried moving the icons in the Icon + Subs mods to the up-left corner to reduce clutter? You could probably rescale them to be smaller as well.

Also, do you know what white you plan on using? If it's the same as KAT Alpha, I could really use a spacebar kit with a 6u...
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline lluvia

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 00:35:56 »
Thank you for finally using foreign languages as design, not a gimmick, and in a tasteful way that doesn't offend those who belong in the culture.

I, without sarcasm, truly wish you optimize on this opportunity and make a katakana version available too.
(Trivia? Back in the day, certain brands used used Katakana instead of Hiragana for the sublegends as well, so it doesn't make Katakana any less viable than Hiragana.)

The one thing I find a bit weird is that you chose to have subs with icon modifiers.
I think it's because I'm not used to seeing the modifiers have that much on them.
It might be interesting if you went old school and used non-Katakana like 改行 for Enter, 空白 for Space, so that the subs would be more fitting, though not all modifiers can be given that treatment (without a native being creative, like the Shift or Ctrl key). So like 改行 [Enter] or "enter icon" [改行] or... "enter icon" [エンター].

Meme? novelty idea would be "Subs not Dubs" lol

Offline dandruff

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 04:59:02 »
Oo, this is a cool set! Have you tried moving the icons in the Icon + Subs mods to the up-left corner to reduce clutter? You could probably rescale them to be smaller as well.

Also, do you know what white you plan on using? If it's the same as KAT Alpha, I could really use a spacebar kit with a 6u...

Yep, I will be resizing and moving the icon+subs around and also reorganizing it to make it consistent across all keys. This was just  quick mock-up to see if the community actually wanted the addition of icon + subs (due to it not being there in the original post).

As for white, I am 60% sure I'm aiming for something close to WS1.

Thank you for finally using foreign languages as design, not a gimmick, and in a tasteful way that doesn't offend those who belong in the culture.

I, without sarcasm, truly wish you optimize on this opportunity and make a katakana version available too.
(Trivia? Back in the day, certain brands used used Katakana instead of Hiragana for the sublegends as well, so it doesn't make Katakana any less viable than Hiragana.)

The one thing I find a bit weird is that you chose to have subs with icon modifiers.
I think it's because I'm not used to seeing the modifiers have that much on them.
It might be interesting if you went old school and used non-Katakana like 改行 for Enter, 空白 for Space, so that the subs would be more fitting, though not all modifiers can be given that treatment (without a native being creative, like the Shift or Ctrl key). So like 改行 [Enter] or "enter icon" [改行] or... "enter icon" [エンター].

Meme? novelty idea would be "Subs not Dubs" lol

Hey! Thanks for the kind words and feedback! Regarding making it less cluttered, you are 100% right and it is going to be the approach I will be taking for the icon + subs mods.
My reason to not add non-latin symbols on the mods is due to me researching different layouts on keyboards and a majority of them from different cultures still prefer to use latin words such as shift/esc/enter/ctrl/etc. Due to this, I didn't want to (1) possibly offend the culture and add something that is not a real thing and (2) adding that would require that same kit for all of the other alphas (one for hangul, one for hiragana, and (if added) one for katakana).
As for Katakana, I added it on the IC form to see demand or interest, at least for now, there's no definite answers, but since it is in the IC form as an option, it is one of the ones that I am heavily considering.

This set is definitely going to be a drastically different approach from my other sets as it will likely sit in IC for a LONG time if everything does not go smoothly. With how KAT sets kit and how much I have to refine the file and such, this will likely take a back seat as it slowly gains more traction/eyes/feedback. I am genuinely using this as an "interest check" rather than immediately planning how to get this into GB stage. It is possible that it gets smoothly to GB earlier rather than later; however, I predict plenty of obstacles/roadblocks ahead, so I would not be surprised if there is possibly another set in the works while I'm stumped for this one.

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 00:10:51 »
As for white, I am 60% sure I'm aiming for something close to WS1.

I do like the warmer white of WS1... from what I’ve seen of color matching, the stock KAT white is pretty close.

I think the NP PBT keycaps do the Icon+Text mods quite well with their Katakana legends? Has a lot going on, but still looks clean.

Looking forward to any updates!
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 01:37:11 »
I'm not an expert in the dyesubbing process, but will the thin lines of the "subs" give issues?

Offline badtyping

• they said this would be fun
    • instagram
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 22:23:18 »
I love the idea of this set. It's a fun play on what we've all seen in the community with sub-legends. Like others have said it seems a bit too crowded, but maybe a change in color for the subs to be in yellow? Also instead of each letter having a [ ], maybe for each alpha row the first letter will start with an open bracket [, and the last letter will have a closed bracket]. Kinda like [QWERTYUIOP] ? Just a suggestion, but all in all, I love the direction!

Offline Sirhcel

• One
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 04:30:47 »
Nice and fun take on the weeb meta. Super keen.

So here's my interest check: Yes
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2021, 09:45:30 by Sirhcel »

Offline yui

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 04:49:59 »
reading the name i was expecting a set with white pixel font on black boxes, but then my experience with subtitles was learning english from films and TV, not animes, so the tech has likely evolved by now :).
and one thing i feel is missing is completely wrong subs, at least back then it was pretty common to have the subs says something almost completely unrelated to what the audio was saying, i feel that could be pretty funny to have as well (i dunno maybe a ctrl key with a shift subtitle or something like that :))
although i may be a bit late to suggest anything.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Puncus

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 14:18:42 »
Looks very interesting, even if im not too sure if mixing desings in for the mod and nav icons is the way to go I still like it.
GLWIC

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 21:11:13 »
would unironically buy the f*ck out of this set
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline clickpig

• naisu naisu naisu
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 21:31:12 »
that BoW looks so pleasing, excited to see how this one comes out.

Offline bigoldbox

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 21:39:37 »

Projects on indefinite sleep for now while dandruff works on other projects.

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] KAT Subtitles - Project on Pause
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 21:45:52 »

Projects on indefinite sleep for now while dandruff works on other projects.

Woops, I did not update GH thread.
So to copy and paste what I put on my discord:

"Due to the demand being much lower than I was hoping, this will VERY LIKELY not be my next set. I wanted to try something new and due to inexperience with making svg files and kitting, the project takes much more excess work and commitment than my other projects. Due to that, I would want the demand to be higher if I were to pursue the set. For now the set will take a back seat and we'll see where it goes!

This does not mean the set will never run, but it also mean that it will. It may go through changes, different manu, different anything, but...

as for now, there will not be any upcoming news on this project"

I will likely pick this project up again if two conditions are met:
1. More interest (won't be locking thread (kinda like letting it marinate)
2. KAT manu gets back on track

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 00:44:43 »
Keyreative has been slacking, but I hope they can get it together. This is definitely interesting

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 02:17:24 »
I registered an account to simple say I would gladly buy 2 sets of this if it comes available.

Offline Vorge

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 10:43:19 »
I am disgusted, I love it. I need the alphas and hope this can go to GB

Offline Aesara

Re: [IC] KAT Subtitles
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 22:09:45 »
I love this, but the brackets on every sub legend is too much for my brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[{] [}]

While consistency is nice, I think this isn't just style over substance, it's style breaking substance; can you look into a set that doesn't delimit symbols inside square brackets? This looks awesome tho, I'm definitely interested in the alphas.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2022, 22:40:55 by Aesara »