Author Topic: [IC] Beezenbach70 - Compact F-Rowless 60-70% w/ Rotary Encoders and OLED display  (Read 18588 times)

Offline ckarini

Beezenbach70
A compact F-Rowless 60-70% board with Rotary Encoders and OLED display.

Designed to be slim and compact while retaining dedicated arrow keys and the added functionality of dual rotary encoders.
The original goal of this design was to make a 65% board that didn't rely on hobbyist keycap sets to fit.
(Don't worry, alternative layouts are still supported).
A full-sized keycap set can cover the standard layout found on a 60%, but the Beezenbach70 adds the arrow keys and home/end pgup/pgdn cluster of a 65%.
The lack of F-row keys allows the board to be slimmer than a standard 75% or TLK.

Overview:

Price: TBD - Projected < $350 USD
Typing Angle: 7°
Front Height: 19.5mm
Case Variants: Standard, HHKB
Plate: 1.5mm Brass/Aluminum/POM Plate
PCB: Assembled SMT / soldered PCB with daughterboard (Currently Soldered through-hole PCB with Proton-C Drop-in)
Firmware: QMK
Switches: MX
Materials: 6063 Aluminum top/bottom chassis, Brass plate

Supported Layouts

Supported layouts include:
  • ANSI
  • ISO
  • Standard and Winkey-less/HHKB bottom row
  • Stepped Capslock
  • Split Backspace
  • Short Right Shift

Features

The top right cluster features two independently-programmable Rotary Encoders, and a .91 inch OLED screen for displaying dial modes and active layers. The inclusion of AST1109MLTRQ speakers allows for a feature-full board, while respecting valuable desk space.

The housing for the dials and screen was designed to make the angled OLED display sit at an angle unobscured by hands and keycaps from a sitting position. It also allows the rotary encoders to be mounted to the PCB while incorporating them into the rest of the case design.

Case Design

The case sits with a 7 degree typing angle and high profile. A sandwich mounted brass plate/PCB is used to attach the aluminum top bezel to the bottom chassis. The material for the dial/screen housing is still being tested - while plastic is currently functional and cost effective, various metal options are being looked into.

Currently the case has been 3D printed, fully assembled, and is functional. A thicker 3D printed plate was used and proved to be a viable solution as well. Depending on feedback, 3D printed cases may be considered for production at a lower price, at the cost of weight, sound, and durability.

PCB Design

The project started using a Proton-C as a drop in solderable kit, but 85% of the interest checks have specified either a normal PCB with solderable or hotswap switches. I wanted to make it clear that I am making the full PCB, and when it's completed I'll be looking into the additional costs of making it hotswappable.

Pricing / Progress

Aluminum case designs have been sent to a few manufacturers and quoted, and prototype orders will be placed soon. More accurate pricing will be updated as promptly as possible as I know it's a large factor for anyone involved. I can't set a definite price pending, and the demand is known. But given what I do know, I am aiming for $300-$350 USD. This is not based on any specific quote, this is my own assessment at the moment.

About the Project

The Beezenbach name is taken from Bartholomew "Beezer" Beezenbach; the main character of Ed Brubaker's "Dead Enders" comic book series. As a scrappy, resourceful, and curious young adult- I felt the Beezenbach70 PCB had the same posture. If you've never heard of it, don't worry- this isn't a character-based board, it is solely named from similarity.

This is my first interest check, but I have been designing, programming, building, testing, lurking, and enjoying mechanical keyboards for over 3 years now. The Beezenbach70 is the first of those that has been made from top to bottom, while potentially serving a purpose to more people than just myself.

Thank you to anyone providing feedback and questions. I'll be posting any progress/updates here, and on Discord.

« Last Edit: Sun, 25 April 2021, 18:08:36 by ckarini »

Offline ckarini

Reserved

Offline jewleeuhn

Wait this design is actually pretty cute
Brutal60 | GS6O | IU | Mc65 | 2.0add

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Interesting designs! GLWIC!

Offline ckarini

Wait this design is actually pretty cute
Thanks! I was happy with how it turned out, and a few others shown some interest, so here we are.  ;D

Offline dandruff

LOVE FRLs. Definitely new approach and I’m genuinely intrigued. Cant tell exactly how I feel about it but it peaks my interest in a good way. GLWIC

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
ohhh this is pretty cool
I would much prefer to see an integrated MCU on the pcb, daughterboard too if possible
a WKL case would look really slick as well if you'd consider it

Offline ckarini

LOVE FRLs. Definitely new approach and I’m genuinely intrigued. Cant tell exactly how I feel about it but it peaks my interest in a good way. GLWIC
Same here- I didn't really know it was a thing until I tried figuring out what to call this one, haha.

Offline ckarini

ohhh this is pretty cool
I would much prefer to see an integrated MCU on the pcb, daughterboard too if possible
a WKL case would look really slick as well if you'd consider it
Yeah, I have started on designing the same PCB with everything onboard. I think to keep the case the same, a daughterboard would be needed as well. And I did keep an option in the IC form for WKL, it wouldn't be too big of an addition, just want to know the interest of others on it.

Offline geohammy

this is amazing, count me in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unagi, Bias, Dolphin, XTAL

Join the YVKB Discord:
https://discord.gg/pCjDYqup6r

Offline Havattack

You should think about putting a DAC or something in that little raised section with the encoders.. O r better yet, an equalizer and a 3rd encoder, then you could have volume, and base and treble control. Man, I have the best ideas.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 April 2021, 14:20:14 by Havattack »

Offline MisterWaffle

this is some cool ****. all I'd suggest is an integrated controller. glwic :p

Offline ckarini

You should think about putting a DAC or something in that little raised section with the encoders.. O r better yet, an equalizer and a 3rd encoder, then you could have volume, and base and treble control. Man, I have the best ideas.
Woah, I had not thought about that. Are there existing boards that have done that? I'm definitely curious, looking into it.

Offline Gavzers

Loved to see a bit of your progress on the Atelier. Really cool and unique work. GLWIC!

Offline ckarini

Loved to see a bit of your progress on the Atelier. Really cool and unique work. GLWIC!
Thank you! I'm so glad I found it, I wouldn't have been able to get this far without it.

Offline ZongZiWang

Cannot unsee it

Offline Zanhana

polycarb version pls

looks amazing by the way

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
+1 for wkl version. I would also consider moving the OLED up a bit.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline antiserious

Absolutely beautiful board, definitely will hop on GB when it comes!

Offline YMwoo

This is a very unique design and would love to see it become real.
Integrated pcb would be nicer indeed.

Offline SDKCAMPING

Nice and different! But I don't know how I feel about the screen being obscured by the keycaps from the front angle, though i see you trieed to remedy it by lifting the screen...
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline ckarini

Nice and different! But I don't know how I feel about the screen being obscured by the keycaps from the front angle, though i see you trieed to remedy it by lifting the screen...
Yeah, I had seen a suggestion (and been thinking myself) to raise it just a bit- it is just within full viewing angle, but a slouch or lean-back can cover some of it again. The next revision of that housing will have the screen window lifted about 2mm. Shouldn't look significantly different, but it should be effective in minimizing obstruction.

Offline Xury46

Neat design, I like the robot face in the top right corner.

Offline ckarini

Neat design, I like the robot face in the top right corner.
;D I can't tell if that's been a favorite, or a deal-breaker for most. I just have to leave it up to the interpretation of the typist.

Offline KingXF

• YouTube
Very nice design! Any plans for hotswap? And what is SMT?

Offline ckarini

Very nice design! Any plans for hotswap? And what is SMT?
I am looking into hotswap, just waiting to see how many people in the IC are hoping for it. So far you're not alone, so it's on the list.
And SMT was surface-mount technology, just a way of saying a full one-piece PCB (and/or daughterboard). Currently it's a drop-in proton-c controller.

Thank you KingXF, last of the Day 1's.  ;D

Offline DeMechanica

Looks amazing. I wish this had a top mount or gasket mount option. Good luck with the IC!

Offline ckarini

Looks amazing. I wish this had a top mount or gasket mount option. Good luck with the IC!
Yeah, a few people have mentioned that, I am looking into what it would take to convert to gasket. Thanfully with the 3D printer behind me, I can do some rapid prototyping, but I also want to keep the manufacturing cost stable.

Offline KaiCat

Nothing has caught my eye just like something like this has and I'm new to the hobby but this might be one of my first gb's ill be seriously interested in. Seriously stunning design and love the innovation, good luck with ic :thumb:!

Offline paperassgasket

Dang, I really like this layout.

Please consider split space.

Offline ckarini

Dang, I really like this layout.

Please consider split space.
Split space is being heavily considered for the solderable PCBs. I'll be revamping the current PCB to have all components and MCU integrated. Unless split space causes major issues, I'll be including it.

Offline Ahngel

60% with nav cluster*

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
This is a very pretty board. Usually, I'd like some space between the nav cluster and the base, but it works nicely here. Don't know why though. Maybe I want the cute little face above the cluster to remain a face. The only thing I'd recommend is maybe make the left and right slopes of the keyboard symmetrical. But maybe you've thought of that, seen it in renders, and thought that this version is better. Either way, glwic! I have a feeling this may be a sleeper hit if you push through.

Offline ckarini

Just wanted to update quick-

The project started using a Proton-C as a drop in solderable kit, but 85% of the interest checks so far have specified either a normal PCB with solderable or hotswap switches. I wanted to make it clear that I am making the full PCB, and when it's completed I'll be looking into the additional costs of making it hotswappable (with ANSI layout, sorry UK homies.)

Offline twoes

Nice design!
Just quick check that when I click on discord link it says invitation is invalid/expired?

Offline ckarini

Nice design!
Just quick check that when I click on discord link it says invitation is invalid/expired?

Oh, thanks for letting me know! I didn't realize it expired. This is the link, I'll update the post. Thank you!
https://discord.gg/kzjXaQ8F

Offline densus designs

• * St. Jude Supporter
looks nice

Offline kuro0renji

LOL, that rotaries and the OLED, I couldn't resist to make this LMAO

Offline lumpyoatmeal

While I'm not personally a rotary encoder fan, this is actually a super cool board! I wish you the best of luck with it!
Also thank you for using OLED. That's going to look incredible when using the knobs in the dark.

Offline ckarini

LOL, that rotaries and the OLED, I couldn't resist to make this LMAO

(Attachment Link)

I absolutely love this. It definitely wasn't designed to be a face initially, and when the first few people mentioned it I started to regret it, but the more it was mentioned the more I embraced it, and now I've come to full acceptance that there is a robot face on this keyboard.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze

Offline yukitoki

love the robot and layout!  :thumb:

Offline UGunaLOSE

Such a cool design! GLWIC

In it!

Offline PixelBoba

Hey, could we have another discord link lol. Seems like this one is expired too.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
Being a robot myself I find this very interesting.

Offline Raul-7

Any updates? I like retro designs with modern features like OLED.

Offline brazen

• Brazen Studio, makers of the Mason60
    • IMG
Looks awesome
Brazen Studio
IG:  @brazenstudio