Author Topic: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (COMPLETED)  (Read 386456 times)

Offline mgsickler

Re: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (SHIPPED TO REGIONAL VENDORS)
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 09:41:41 »
Just as a heads up, a majority of the boxes that we received were damaged upon arrival. Ends split, or crinkled is how they arrived to us. We dont have any extra boxes, and cant replace them. The boxes, though, should not damage any of the actual boards.

Regarding PCBs having warp, this is actually very normal and should not impact the PCBs functionality. Please make sure to check them before soldering.

Offline singabore

« Reply #501 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 09:57:43 »
packaging kind of sucks. no cap

Offline thanatic

« Reply #502 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 04:14:46 »
Having issue with JST cable being too short. It will pop out of the socket when trying to fit/aligning PCB to the case.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #503 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 12:01:40 »
Having issue with JST cable being too short. It will pop out of the socket when trying to fit/aligning PCB to the case.

Same. Open a support ticket. NK is ordering replacement cables.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #504 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 13:00:41 »
Sadly, orders from deskeys are yet to receive any tracking no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #505 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 19:25:43 »
It seems like USPS lost my 7v on Friday, no scans since then (when it was already in my city). I hope it shows up soon.

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #506 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 02:53:55 »
:)

Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline vi0till

« Reply #507 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 02:55:45 »

are you using the 6u wire in the box? Not so often to see 6u build.

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #508 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 03:02:48 »

are you using the 6u wire in the box? Not so often to see 6u build.

this is 6.25U. look closer, the left alt is a 1.25U key. i ran this layout by gok himself. this was his response:

6U is just too small of a space bar for me. i wish 7U was an option.
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline Miyano

« Reply #509 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 15:34:16 »
Received my blue 7V today. No external damage on the outside box, perfectly sealed. 7V box was mint, no bumps, nothing. Board looks gorgeous, no scratches inside or out. Tested both pcbs, there is some warping but everything works fine. This is my first keyboard group buy and I'm really happy to finally getting one. Worth the wait! Too bad the keyset I intended to use with it (Kat Atlantis) wont ship anytime soon...

Since this is my first soldered board, I pulled out the Practice 65 I bought months ago and soldered all switches without any problems. I intend to build the 7V this weekend. Hopefully it'll go as well.

Thanks to NovelKeys, Gok and Wilba for this wonderful keyboard.

PS: This thing is heavy as hell!

Offline dak148

« Reply #510 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 08:33:00 »
Got my white board from NovelKeys, no issues. Thanks to Mike for being so transparent with communication the entire year up to shipping and to Gok for designing such a great board. The entire experience is really well done from the packaging to the little design details.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #511 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 15:30:24 »
There are always issues but this is one of the smoothest GB's I've been through.

Offline belerian

« Reply #512 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 23:24:44 »
Does anyone have any pointers on some of the things that one should check to find defects? I have no plans to build in this case for several months. I've already checked that the PCB/Daughterboard are working as well as looked for issues on the exterior of the case.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #513 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 01:22:04 »
I love this keyboard in feel,aesthetics, and sound. But I've had a few surprising moments with this sharp edge while picking up the board, especially on a 3kg banger. It seems this same weight design is going to carry over to the Type K as well. Possibly just me that feels cautious about handling!

Offline KZzzz

« Reply #514 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 18:38:18 »
I love this keyboard in feel,aesthetics, and sound. But I've had a few surprising moments with this sharp edge while picking up the board, especially on a 3kg banger. It seems this same weight design is going to carry over to the Type K as well. Possibly just me that feels cautious about handling!

Well this board is a killer indeed ;)

Jokes aside, the weight can be super sharp, so be very careful with it.

Offline urbanphoenix

« Reply #515 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 04:31:45 »
Got my grey 7v, looks absolutely amazing, but there is a small nick on the bottom side. It is barely noticeable but I'm wondering if I care enough to open a support ticket.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #516 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 05:54:58 »
Got my grey 7v, looks absolutely amazing, but there is a small nick on the bottom side. It is barely noticeable but I'm wondering if I care enough to open a support ticket.
lol no

Offline FoxFire007

« Reply #517 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 16:46:02 »
Anyone know if vendors have sold the extras yet?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline jb98

[GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (SHIPPED TO REGIONAL VENDORS)
« Reply #518 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 02:14:58 »
Got my 7V built, looks and sounds great. HOWEVER, I cannot believe out of every thread/post I’ve read that nobody else had the same QC issue as me. On the weight, the screw holes to hold the USB C connector in place has 1 hole that isn’t tapped, and one that’s too big. Meaning 2/4 screws aren’t in place properly and my USB C connector is loose as heck.

Have contacted MyKeyb but don’t know if they have any weights left. Quite disappointed…

Edit: my box was also damaged

Offline DannyDP

« Reply #519 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 11:42:45 »
Got my 7V built, looks and sounds great. HOWEVER, I cannot believe out of every thread/post I’ve read that nobody else had the same QC issue as me. On the weight, the screw holes to hold the USB C connector in place has 1 hole that isn’t tapped, and one that’s too big. Meaning 2/4 screws aren’t in place properly and my USB C connector is loose as heck.

Have contacted MyKeyb but don’t know if they have any weights left. Quite disappointed…

Edit: my box was also damaged

I have 2 weights and both are perfect. I have a PCB that was made incorrectly (the side breakoff tabs are actually connected to the PCB) but I can still technically use it if I modify it which should be easy. Novelkeys sent me a replacement anyways (THANK YOU). Ive heard of some PCBs being made incorrect but have never heard on discord of the weights not being tapped correctly. So Its probably super rare and you just got unlucky. Hopefully you can get a replacement.

The shipping could have been slightly better. While the actual 7V box is amazing and super luxurious, it was shipped inside a bigger box with no foam or bubble wrap. So the 7V box with heavy ass parts was just bouncing around in the shipping box getting damaged. My 7V box was slightly damaged at the corners but everything inside was perfectly fine.

Overall a smooth and satisfactory experience on my end. Loving the 7V.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 May 2021, 12:00:55 by DannyDP »

Offline DannyDP

« Reply #520 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 11:49:03 »
Anyone know if vendors have sold the extras yet?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I think vendors are still dealing with 7V GB orders like replacing faulty parts or incorrect orders. Once they fix all of that then the extras should be announced.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 May 2021, 12:03:21 by DannyDP »

Offline steveshing

« Reply #521 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 13:31:40 »
my box was damaged too, so many scratch on the box.
i saw so many unboxing video on youtube and they all have a perfect box x) why me lol

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #522 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 02:17:00 »
question about the build in general, are we supposed to use the pads on top/bottom or only one side? I only have it on the top side right now but the board sounds a bit metallic when typing, don't know how to lessen that

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #523 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 05:39:35 »
question about the build in general, are we supposed to use the pads on top/bottom or only one side? I only have it on the top side right now but the board sounds a bit metallic when typing, don't know how to lessen that
Top only. What switches are you using?

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #524 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 11:34:26 »

There is a detailed build guide showing where to put the pads.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hjFq1sxXUB8NZ67fO5Mq6zS7G91EDD3o/view

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #525 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 15:26:55 »

8008 inks (essentially just recolored gat v2 inks) - springs were bag lubed with 105g0 and everything else with 205g0

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #526 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 15:47:10 »

8008 inks (essentially just recolored gat v2 inks) - springs were bag lubed with 105g0 and everything else with 205g0
My first thought that it could have been spring ping but you have already lubed them.
Have you tried other switches? We had a meetup in NZ over the weekend with multiple 7Vs using different setups but I didn't encounter any with a metallic sound so I'm not sure what the issue would be.

Offline gordonderp

« Reply #527 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 18:37:37 »

Did you put foam underneath the pcb? I'm running a plateless build and when I put an anti slip mat underneath I had a lot of pinging noise.

I think you can also get this problem if you're cable isn't seated properly in the recess making the pcb sit higher than it should be

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #528 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 19:23:28 »

My first thought that it could have been spring ping but you have already lubed them.
Have you tried other switches? We had a meetup in NZ over the weekend with multiple 7Vs using different setups but I didn't encounter any with a metallic sound so I'm not sure what the issue would be.

It's really only noticeable in a quiet environment. So most of the time I don't hear it cause of fans or music in the background, but if I'm typing something in a silent room I can hear it a little. I haven't tried other switches.

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 21:02:58 »
So anyone making brass plates?

Offline Lufenia

« Reply #530 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 02:20:24 »

It's really only noticeable in a quiet environment. So most of the time I don't hear it cause of fans or music in the background, but if I'm typing something in a silent room I can hear it a little. I haven't tried other switches.

I had a similar issue but I figured out what was causing it. 
The PCB leaf springs weren't seated flush with the case because the daugtherboard cable wasn't sitting completely within the groove.

Offline Chadtucket

« Reply #531 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 18:20:38 »
Do people think extras are going to be scheduled before the GB for the Monokei x TGR Tomo will be over? I can't decide if I want to try for extras or join the GB for the Tomo...

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #532 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 18:24:05 »
Do people think extras are going to be scheduled before the GB for the Monokei x TGR Tomo will be over? I can't decide if I want to try for extras or join the GB for the Tomo...

Zero people here know. Mike @ NK probably doesn't even know yet.

That said, demand will be crazy. If you get the warning that Tomo is going to hit human limit, I would pull the trigger.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #533 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 18:26:15 »
Don’t bank on getting an extra is all I can say.

Offline Chadtucket

« Reply #534 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 08:58:33 »

Zero people here know. Mike @ NK probably doesn't even know yet.

That said, demand will be crazy. If you get the warning that Tomo is going to hit human limit, I would pull the trigger.

I figured it would be worth throwing it out there haha and yeah I know chances are super low I would even be able to get ahold of an extra but I personally like the design of the 7V more than the Tomo, so its at least worth a try.

Offline killuchen

« Reply #535 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 14:18:01 »
Would you guys recommend using the plate foam for an alu plate + marshmallow build?

Offline noorejji

« Reply #536 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 15:03:37 »
Would you guys recommend using the plate foam for an alu plate + marshmallow build?
Don’t see why not since you won’t be sacrificing any flex as you might with a pc plate. If you’re using marshmallows I’m guessing you wouldn’t mind possibly getting a slightly more muted/thocky sound.

Offline kotarohanzo

« Reply #537 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 22:34:34 »
most beautiful keyboard released recently.

Offline Supra

« Reply #538 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 14:42:14 »
As someone who just got into this hobby, my only chance now is at an extra.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #539 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 15:08:04 »

If you like the layout, you may want to consider Monokei x TGR Tomo which is currently running.

https://monokei.co/blogs/news/monokei-x-friends-tomo

Offline Supra

« Reply #540 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 16:18:30 »

If you like the layout, you may want to consider Monokei x TGR Tomo which is currently running.

Thanks. I may consider it, I can't explain it but there's just something about the 7v I like.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #541 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 17:00:13 »

Thanks. I may consider it, I can't explain it but there's just something about the 7v I like.

Both boards are pretty premium, but I think it's the exploded layout. It's just chef's kiss.

Offline killuchen

« Reply #542 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:58:07 »
Here's my build :)

Black 7V with black logo + black weight.
Alu plate

marshmallow switches lubed and filmed

Equalz pink stabs with rose gold wires

GMK Olivia Light Base with pink space bar.

Has anyone tried removing starches from their weight? I accidentally wiped the weight with the same micro fiber cloth i used to remove the leftover machining material from the inside :( ( Scratches are on my SS weight not the black).

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #543 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 11:21:17 »
Here's my build :)

Black 7V with black logo + black weight.
Alu plate

marshmallow switches lubed and filmed

Equalz pink stabs with rose gold wires

GMK Olivia Light Base with pink space bar.

Has anyone tried removing starches from their weight? I accidentally wiped the weight with the same micro fiber cloth i used to remove the leftover machining material from the inside :( ( Scratches are on my SS weight not the black).

In theory you should be able to polish SS to remove small scratches.

Maybe practice on some silverware before trying on the weight.

Offline epshtielsl

« Reply #544 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 08:34:09 »
Snagged an extra this morning.  Super excited for my first premium keyboard!  ;D

Offline NOLA

« Reply #545 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 11:40:48 »
Snagged an extra this morning.  Super excited for my first premium keyboard!  ;D

Congrats. They were gone in 3 seconds.  :))

Offline Buraiha

« Reply #546 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 04:44:29 »
Anyone know if there will be a round 2 for the 7v?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 June 2021, 14:56:14 by Buraiha »

Offline itsmartin

« Reply #547 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 07:22:09 »
There has been no solid commitment either way, though gok did say he wanted to focus on his other projects first - Type K and Venn are in IC at the moment for example.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (COMPLETED)
« Reply #548 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 00:16:04 »
Where my 6U gang at? One of the huge reasons I bought this board actually.

freaking beautiful board. I'm super happy with how this one turned out and the customer service from Novelkeys was amazing!
Heavily debating Type-K XD
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline svenge

Re: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (COMPLETED)
« Reply #549 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 15:16:21 »
Hi fellow 7V peoples.
Svenge here.
I'm working on implementing some improved lighting affects for this board.  I wasn't satisfied with the stock VIA compatible lighting and no caps-lock indicator. 
Here's where I am at:
https://imgur.com/gallery/gksdhw5 (40s video)

And here's an image to catch your eye (6U gang):

I've basically figured out the included functions from the stock QMK firmware from Wilba and I'm porting some of the fancier implementations from the RGB software over into the mono_backlight software.  I got the capslock indicator and layer indicators to work, and I believe I can get the software for the 2D array effects ported over as well.  If anyone is interested in this firmware when it's done, let me know.  I have basic control over all the LED's on the board (turn them on/off and implement patterns) but one thing I haven't figured out yet is keyreactive lighting (other than the caps & layer indicators which were basically done for me).  If anyone here is a QMK or C expert and wants to help, LMK.