Author Topic: [GB] KAT Great Wave (大浪)  (Read 145547 times)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
Re: [GB] KAT Great Wave (大浪)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 11:01:27 »
4 days left until end of groupbuy!

Here's a quick render on the Azure Sunsetter which has released IC for R2. Pity that there's no white colourway this round, but still there's a gorgeous blue.

(Note this render is just a guess at the blue, it will not be accurate)

There's a giveaway on Mechmarket (& socials)
https://old.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/olj9o2/gb_kat_great_wave_ends_in_5_days_base_kit_giveaway/

Zero Sky artisan - "Fenrir" - Raffle sale on July 21

Does anyone know what the japanese banners on the Ōnami and Great Koi mats translate to in english?

It comes directly from the original artwork of "The Great Wave off Kanagawa"
You can see this in the inspiration part of this GB

The bottom six characters is the name of the piece, as mentioned.
The top is the name of the series that this piece belongs to: "Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji"

Awesome. Thanks so much for the information.
Yep it's derived directly from the original artwork. As per Wikipedia: "The Great Wave off Kanagawa has two inscriptions. The first, within a rectangular cartouche in the top-left corner is the series title: "冨嶽三十六景/神奈川冲/浪裏" Fugaku Sanjūrokkei / Kanagawa oki / nami ura, which translates as "Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji / Offshore from Kanagawa / Beneath the wave". The second inscription, to the left, is the artist's signature: 北斎改爲一筆 Hokusai aratame Iitsu hitsu, ("From the brush of Hokusai, changing his name to Iitsu")"

Offline Timception

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 11:07:39 »
I can’t join discord, but if I can get an answer or help in here that would be great:
Where is the cheapest place to buy if you live in Thailand, thanks in advance.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 19:15:40 »
I can’t join discord, but if I can get an answer or help in here that would be great:
Based on your region, I would say zFrontier would be the cheapest I think.

Offline Leon_TheKing

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 07:32:55 »
zFrontier, and they ship faster too than most of other vendors given Keycreative (KAT caps manufacturer) and Zfrontier are both based in China.

Offline Timception

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 11:51:48 »
Based on your region, I would say zFrontier would be the cheapest I think.

Thank you sir

Offline Timception

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 11:52:21 »
zFrontier, and they ship faster too than most of other vendors given Keycreative (KAT caps manufacturer) and Zfrontier are both based in China.

Thanks, will head on over to zfrontier

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 05:17:23 »
Show Image

Thanks so much for the charts dvorcol, I don't know what this community would do without you!

Offline cricket-alone

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 20:22:55 »
Really like the keycap from Asero Foundry and the deskmats!

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 00:40:39 »
Groupbuy is ending very soon, so remember to get in before the order window closes!

Some more cool artisan collabs lined up at the tail end of this GB!
Latrialum collab for KAT Great Wave is live and will only run until 21 July too

Zero Sky artisan raffle live today for only 24hr too

Remember to rehydrate!

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 20:40:48 »
Mythcaps also have a collab running only for today, so click the link in their IG bio to enter the raffle. 
Look at this cute stripy wavy boy:

Offline Xherion

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 21:17:38 »
wow the collabs keep on coming.

the Latrialum one is not open yet right?

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 06:51:53 »
wow the collabs keep on coming.

the Latrialum one is not open yet right?
Sorry not yet. I'm not sure of the exact date tbh! It'll be announced on her Discord/IG when it'll go live.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 08:33:55 »
Hi, just an update that we've been waiting for 2 more vendors to finalise their extras to post the total number of kit sales at the end of GB.
Hopefully that should be soon.

KAT Great Wave x Mechfashion keyboard sleeve collab!

Image Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/RdjkQXR
Google Form

In other news, black background variants of Ryu and Ryujin deskmats have also been sent for prototypes too as there was some interest in that as well (see example render here).

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 20:22:47 »

More
<-- without extras

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 14:19:34 »
Keyreative shared their estimated KAT/KAM production schedule - https://en.zfrontier.com/blogs/project-updates/keyreative-keyset-progress-report

Offline qwuzzy

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 20 May 2022, 20:29:34 »
Keyreative shared their estimated KAT/KAM production schedule - https://en.zfrontier.com/blogs/project-updates/keyreative-keyset-progress-report

Any updates since? That's a pretty significant delay.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 02 August 2022, 23:16:31 »

Any updates since? That's a pretty significant delay.
Hi there,
I approved the first batch of colour samples over half a year ago:
[note these samples are placed amongst KAT Eternal keycaps]

However, zFrontier (Keyreative's proxy contact) hasn't given any indication on when production will commence despite us asking them for an update. They did state that due to COVID lockdown earlier this year, there was a shutdown for 3 months, which does appear consistent from what I've read in the news about manufacturing across multiple industries in China being affected by this.
So all my other understandings of production status is similar to anyone else's - rather limited. So in the meantime, I suggest looking updates on other Geekhack GB threads for KAT/KAM sets that are earlier in the queue (i.e. KAT Refined, KAT Napoleonic, KAT Crusader, KAT Slurp) for a sense of how things are still proceeding. From what I can see there's ongoing production but there's only trickles of information ultimately of how fast it's all happening.
We will post an update on both discord and here when I actually get an real substantial news that production has commenced.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2022, 23:21:27 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 11 September 2022, 11:41:09 »
Hi there, I just wanted to give a quick update.

I received the first round of colour samples from the manu a long time ago and approved them then, however COVID causing shutdown production happened, and there was a long period of nil further communication/samples.

I received a sample set last month, however a few issues cropped up:

(the cropped keycaps on top are the first round of samples )

Issue #1: Somehow the first sample's darkest blue (which was good):

Had somehow mistakenly been changed to a completely different color code is second sample:

I suspect somehow the feedback on Sample 1's medium blue colour code corrections got miscommunicated/misinterpreted...

Issue #2: The lightest blue (adjacent to the white keycaps - on the diagonal of Y, G, V), is now darker on the second round than first sample.  This has affected the flow of the relative brightness of the gradient.

[top one is the render, middle and bottom ones are from the latest sample photos.]

The other middle blues are okay i.e.

The white is better on the second round though. So I think we can get there, it's just taken a lot longer than expected

In terms of other metrics, I'm happy with the reverse dyesub quality, with no blurring on legends (esp on the novelties with finer legends). The alignment is noticeably better than another earlier KAT set I own (KAT Eternal).

I was hoping we would be finished with colourmatching at this stage and commenced production, but COVID has obviously impacted sample turnaround time and also the production date estimates. Anyways, it seems one more sample round is required at least.

I'm sorry to say that somehow the second round of samples aren't quite up to scratch. in some cases a bit worse than the first round of samples for some reason (what didn't help was a 6 month gap between samples). That's what prototyping is for, and hopefully we'll have it perfect by the time the production slot queue for Great Wave pops up (hopefully soon -  I don't have a date).

Offline Rumblethumps

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 11:38:49 »
Bummer that the samples still aren't cutting it, but with such a thorough update, I don't mind . The patience will be worth it! :thumb:

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 13 September 2022, 17:14:30 »
Thank you OP for your attention to detail.

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 09:10:52 »
bad news are still an update!
and updates it's all what we need!

thanks for sharing these news  :thumb:

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 21 September 2022, 06:03:46 »
New samples of the darkest blue colour have arrived today [All shots are taken with smartphone under indoor white lighting]:

In context, alongside the round 2 samples (newest samples being the Q, W, A,  F1, F2, F3, Tab, Ctrl)

I'm happy with that shade now.
However, I'm still awaiting the samples for the lightest blue gradient (see G, Y and F6) to be corrected as they were too dark on the round 2 sample. i.e.

Which I mentioned before, was better on the round 1 sample i.e. photo is comparison between the first and second round of the lightest blue
(E being round 1 sample, Y being round 2 sample):

(Top row W and E, is from round 1 sample. The rest are from round 2 sample)

So we've fixed one of the major errors that occurred between round 1 and 2 of samples. Now we're just waiting on the next sample of the lightest blue gradient (the shade for the diagonal on V, G, Y) to arrive to confirm that it's much more lighter so the gradient flow of relative brightness is retained.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 05:15:08 »
Good news is that the most recent samples of KAT Great Wave have finally arrived.
After 3 rounds of sampling, I believe we can finally move forward to approval.
The lightest shade of blue that was way too dark in round 2 that interrupted the gradient is thankfully now lighter than the adjacent blue diagonal.
It has lost that aqua tint, but the transition from blue to white is now much better. The new blue is much more natural and feels like it belongs.

The photo shows the new colour samples (Y, G, V), alongside the previous sample rounds of keycap colours that were approved.

As you can also see, the font of the Latin alphas has been updated too, to be thinner and rounded after some careful consideration of: synergy with the icon mod legends; and real-life samples of the initial thicker typeface not being as nice as expected in reality compared to renders. I have another KAT set I use daily with a thinner lightweight font, and I strongly believe this looks cleaner.
I'm sorry it took long for the project to get this stage, but we're nearly there and hopefully production can start soon. Manufacturer-side production delays (partially due to COVID lockdown rules), meant it took ages to get samples.

I will be requesting information on where we'll sit in the production queue now. Some sets that were behind us but had earlier colour sample approval may have jumped ahead of us whilst this set's colour samples were waiting to be approved.
I will continue try to give updates where I can, but note that it's hard for me to estimate delivery after manufacturing is done as shipping from manu to each regional vendor's shipping length can be so variable and unpredictable.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 February 2023, 19:49:53 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 19:51:18 »
Most recent update is that it is looking like the estimated date of production will be April 2023 (fingers crossed).

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 21:01:16 »
Hi, production from their last communication is scheduled for April, but in fact, going by Keyreative's instagram post (https://www.instagram.com/p/Co9SV_hO089/), they've just completed Mizu and are now looking to start KAT Great Wave (see the post's nested comment and slight right to see hints).

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 03:37:03 »
 Latest update from Keyreative is that estimate for production completion remains to be June:
"The current schedule is such that the KAM super user has a very long lead time, but our plan is to go for the KAT great wave after the  KAM sewing tin has been produced"
"all I can guarantee is that it should not be later than the final shipping time on the schedule (June), and if nothing goes wrong in between I hope it will be ahead of schedule."

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 02:23:36 »
Hi,
The latest update from Keyreative is that the original schedule remains intact. They will have all the goods produced and packed by the end of June for shipping to vendors

EDIT (10/06/23): Keyreative have updated to say they have had delay due to KAM Super User QC exceeding expectations
EDIT (15/06/23): They've updated to state that their original expectation on schedule remains on target for packing by end of June
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 June 2023, 22:16:38 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 21:55:51 »
Hi,
Production is complete, so it's now in the stage of packing/shipping to vendors. From here on, the most up to date status will be dependent on vendor's who presumably will have their own tracking numbers.

There were some slight delays due to adjustment of the production file to correct the seigaha bars kit, from this:

To this:

Furthermore, other reasons for recent delay include:

Here's a screenshot from the Keyreative discord of some photos of the kits manufactured, awaiting shipment:

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 06:41:57 »
Haven't heard for a while. What's the status on this?

My order is via Candykeys

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 07:20:52 »
Haven't heard for a while. What's the status on this?

My order is via Candykeys

Production completed in July. After packing, some shipments commenced transport to regional vendors in August, whilst some only began shipping in early September.
It's best to check with your regional vendors on the estimated arrival time as shipping can vary or take a while.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 09:39:03 »
Some lovely photos from discord user Engray (via Philippine Vendor - Zion Studios):

Offline Rumblethumps

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 08 December 2023, 09:53:59 »
Just got an email from Vala Supply that shipment will begin soon. Feels a little belated 2 years later, but I'm still excited!

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 07:46:02 »
CandyKeys didn't shipped yet...  >:D

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 04:32:14 »
Here's some photos from those who have received their set thus far:

by AsianKingFTW

by Sodawars

by 0.5x A Presses

by dawvzn

https://i.imgur.com/miuPU2b.jpg
by engray

by paulizzle

by rought

by astro

by air_nith

by JaysongDerulo

Sorry to hear about the shipping delays!

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 04:31:44 »
Still no shipping from CandyKeys yet. I though these were all sent out months ago?

Offline salgiza

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 04:56:19 »
According to the CandyKeys Discord, there has been some kind of problem with the shipping (they haven't specified what problem), the delivery has been stuck somewhere for months, and they are trying to solve it.

Not good news in any way (the last message from 7 days ago seemed to imply that the boxes were still in China), but at least it seems that they are trying to solve it...