Author Topic: [IC] Polaris - GB has begun  (Read 228453 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] Polaris - Gasket 60% for $265
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 11:39:24 »
Should I start an interest check for an Alps PCB? I know ai said he'd consider it, but if we are able to gather some traction and interest it may make that choice easier for him.

Thoughts ai?

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 11:41:11 »
Hey, a question on the Red Ano.

Do you anticipate the final real-life anodize to look similar to the rendering? Just curious cuz in the render, it looks like a slightly burnt/muted red. Was this your specific intention or just a render side effect? If you have any actual ano swatches you could post of the desired colors, that would be awesome!
Kbdfans will handle the production, so I suspect it will be more of a burgundy red, similar to their current Tofu case:

Show Image

Show Image

v helpful, ty

Offline chie4

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 09:18:15 »
Awesome

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #353 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 21:54:56 »
Should I start an interest check for an Alps PCB? I know ai said he'd consider it, but if we are able to gather some traction and interest it may make that choice easier for him.

Thoughts ai?

Yes please! Not normally an Alps user, but this board is a bargain so I’d buy a few Alps PCB’s and plates via group buy if possible.

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 22:21:34 »
Yeah I might as well just post here too since others have mentioned it. The Boardwalk PCB will not fit because the USB cutout is very precise and the 1.2mm PCB raises the port by 0.4mm. I will be designing a Polaris-specific Boardwalk with hot swap sockets and will mimic the Polaris’ cut-out in the middle of the PCB. I’ll also be producing plates.

I will only be making a PCB to support my preferred layouts though (HHKB and WKL 7u). If you’re interested in this, let me know. I’ll be hand soldering these PCBs due to low volume so there won’t be many but it is happening. I’m currently working on a few other keeb projects right now but I uh... might have accidentally  finished the layout of the new PCB already.

Ai03, this is all possible thanks to you. Kudos!

why would you do both relief cuts and hotswap sockets? Wouldn't any added flex from the relief cuts will be eliminated by the rigidity of the sockets?

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 03:51:58 »

Thoughts ai?

I think I'll stick to MX-only for the official GB; if anyone wants to run compat for other types of switches, I'll leave it up to third parties.

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #356 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 08:57:01 »
Yeah I might as well just post here too since others have mentioned it. The Boardwalk PCB will not fit because the USB cutout is very precise and the 1.2mm PCB raises the port by 0.4mm. I will be designing a Polaris-specific Boardwalk with hot swap sockets and will mimic the Polaris’ cut-out in the middle of the PCB. I’ll also be producing plates.

I will only be making a PCB to support my preferred layouts though (HHKB and WKL 7u). If you’re interested in this, let me know. I’ll be hand soldering these PCBs due to low volume so there won’t be many but it is happening. I’m currently working on a few other keeb projects right now but I uh... might have accidentally  finished the layout of the new PCB already.

I’m in for that hotswap PCB + plate definitely

Offline vi0till

« Reply #357 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 02:47:50 »

This will be offered through the official GB or we need to purchase separately?

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #358 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 17:05:05 »

This will be offered through the official GB or we need to purchase separately?

The only thing I will be offering officially is the official Polaris pcb, case, plate, and other required parts.

Offline aleck

• Philippians 4:13
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 21:00:07 »
Hey, a question on the Red Ano.

Do you anticipate the final real-life anodize to look similar to the rendering? Just curious cuz in the render, it looks like a slightly burnt/muted red. Was this your specific intention or just a render side effect? If you have any actual ano swatches you could post of the desired colors, that would be awesome!
Kbdfans will handle the production, so I suspect it will be more of a burgundy red, similar to their current Tofu case:

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry for the out of topic question, but where can I buy one of those Tofu brass weights from?

Offline XtReeM1337n355

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 21:01:35 »
Not sure if this question has been asked, but is their plans to support alps switches?

Offline XtReeM1337n355

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 21:06:52 »
Jk, my question was answered. It’s mx only. I would love to see an alps ic though!

Offline Solotov

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 06:09:23 »
Looks dope. Which one sound nicer, alu or pc? Plan to get poly half plate and use it with linear switch.
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #363 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 10:54:05 »
Looks dope. Which one sound nicer, alu or pc? Plan to get poly half plate and use it with linear switch.
Subjective, PC generally sounds deeper and "thockier". Alu sounds more high pitched and "clear".

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #364 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 21:32:47 »
To be absolutely honest, I discourage people from buying the poly case option.

I designed the board around aluminum levels of structural integrity; the lid has thin portions where it is sandwiched between the top and the weight.
We will be testing a poly lid to make sure it achieves the required levels of durability, but it is undeniable that it will be weaker than aluminum.
Polycarbonate threads are far more prone to stripping from overtightening screws, and the material scratches far easier.
The absolute mess of gaskets and foam on the interior will be visible.
Poly is known to yellow due to exposure to UV light. After many years, the board that was paid premium for may not look too pretty.

Anodized aluminum is much more durable and cheaper.
Sound-wise, with the plate fully isolated from the case via vibration-damping gaskets and the multiple foam midlayers, even aluminum won't sound cripplingly awful.

But then again, it is the buyer's choice, so as long as things reach the required durability, both options will be offered.
On the flipside, polycarbonate plates are a very nice option.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2019, 21:36:14 by ai03 »

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 00:27:08 »
So any news as to when the prototype would be arriving?

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 01:04:10 »
So any news as to when the prototype would be arriving?

Right now, China is in holiday season. I doubt things will be moving too quickly during this time.
However, things appear to be getting closer to completion.

Offline dav1k

« Reply #367 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 02:43:30 »
<Snip>

In the past couple of months I've grown into a huge fan of Boardwalk and your work! I am very interested in purchasing whatever hardware is required to achieve a Boardwalk build using Polaris as a base.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #368 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 04:49:51 »
<Snip>

In the past couple of months I've grown into a huge fan of Boardwalk and your work! I am very interested in purchasing whatever hardware is required to achieve a Boardwalk build using Polaris as a base.

Oh, I hope it turns out well. I'm definitely excited for this board!

Offline ian13

« Reply #369 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 07:24:44 »
I'm still undecided if I will opt for full PC plate or half PC plate. I'm leaning towards full plate since I like the sound of a pc plate but I would also like to know others thoughts on this??  :llama:

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #370 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 07:31:47 »
interested
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline nettik

« Reply #371 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 14:50:03 »
Will we be able to buy additional plates? I don't know if I want the full brass or half polycarb, but I'd like to try both!

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 17:06:32 »
Will we be able to buy additional plates? I don't know if I want the full brass or half polycarb, but I'd like to try both!

I'll definitely look into selling extra plates and PCBs, although price is not yet determined.

Offline frankyusa0409

« Reply #373 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 22:28:54 »
Count me in! Elegant design, and price is hard to beat!

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #374 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 19:48:20 »
rip silver  :'(

Offline fabryrock

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 08:17:43 »
why no silver?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 09:48:06 »
why no silver?
Will silver be available? Or is it too unpopular?

Going by KBD8X MKII sales, silver proved too unpopular to be worth over e-white.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #377 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 09:50:02 »

I designed the board around aluminum levels of structural integrity; the lid has thin portions where it is sandwiched between the top and the weight.
We will be testing a poly lid to make sure it achieves the required levels of durability, but it is undeniable that it will be weaker than aluminum.
Polycarbonate threads are far more prone to stripping from overtightening screws, and the material scratches far easier.
Poly is known to yellow due to exposure to UV light. After many years, the board that was paid premium for may not look too pretty.

Sound-wise, with the plate fully isolated from the case via vibration-damping gaskets and the multiple foam midlayers, even aluminum won't sound cripplingly awful.

But then again, it is the buyer's choice, so as long as things reach the required durability, both options will be offered.
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm wondering why you didn't design it with thread inserts for the polycarbonate.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 20:33:10 »

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm wondering why you didn't design it with thread inserts for the polycarbonate.

Because polycarb was an afterthought. He designed it for aluminum. Sounds like after he finalized the design, people asked for PC and they're obliging the request, but not changing the design.

Offline thanhnv244

« Reply #379 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 20:10:20 »
Any est time to run the GB ? I need to prepare for my wallet though :((

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _senya

« Reply #380 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 00:13:32 »
Quite reasonable price for such a nice kit. I'm interested.

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 04:58:24 »
Any est time to run the GB ? I need to prepare for my wallet though :((

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor has it that the prototype will be finished around the end of next week.

Offline BedsideTiger

« Reply #382 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 01:12:20 »
GAH! I want this GB to start already!

Offline beekey

« Reply #383 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 05:41:52 »
<Snip>

Oh, I hope it turns out well. I'm definitely excited for this board!
Would also love to get a plate supporting the Boardwalk.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 09:40:32 »
I'm totally in on this. Was really interested on the Poly version and will keep a really close eye for the proto/tests. But also got a bit on the fence for the pc version since the board was designed with alu in mind and pc as an afterthought. Anyway, definitely getting one.

Offline Slice

« Reply #385 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 01:49:54 »
Really loving the design of this case. I'm totally in on the HHKB version.

Offline reggie

« Reply #386 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 07:15:11 »
Definitely interested to see the E-White version of this!

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #387 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 09:22:15 »
Things are getting very close. I have seen a few certain photos, but it'll be a few more days before things are finalized.

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #388 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 11:06:25 »
Things are getting very close. I have seen a few certain photos, but it'll be a few more days before things are finalized.
one question, can i use hotswap pcb like dz60 hotswap pcb on kbdfans???. thanks

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #389 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 12:51:24 »

No, because the PCB is thinner than normal PCBs so the USB plug would not fit the cutout if you use a standard 60% PCB. Also, the stock PCB includes relief cuts to provide additional flex.

Offline tiydal

« Reply #390 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 13:26:51 »

amazing, cant wait!

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #391 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 17:06:00 »

No, because the PCB is thinner than normal PCBs so the USB plug would not fit the cutout if you use a standard 60% PCB. Also, the stock PCB includes relief cuts to provide additional flex.
oh, i get it, thanks

Offline kevinplus

« Reply #392 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 11:48:32 »
hello ^

Finally got a GH account, hope I'm not too late to the party

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 15:36:31 »
hello ^

Finally got a GH account, hope I'm not too late to the party

sorry sir you can't join this GB

:))
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #394 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 08:37:04 »
So many nice HHKB split space options all of a sudden. *subscribing*

Offline krisst

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 10:48:20 »

Show Image

Split spacebar layout is not an option for hhkb or wkl

Offline v0sk

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 14:52:56 »
100% in :thumb:

Offline evorus5

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 15:42:53 »
In for this!

Offline Y_am_I_on_here

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 21:51:14 »

Show Image

Split spacebar layout is not an option for hhkb or wkl

I asked ai03 previously (via insta) and was told the split spacebar is compatible with HHKB layout.

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 01:13:44 »
I asked ai03 previously (via insta) and was told the split spacebar is compatible with HHKB layout.

For WKL/HHKB split space, the bottom row will be limited to these layouts.

\

I can't say they're the most aesthetically pleasing layouts, but I guess they work physically.