Author Topic: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65% (Project Retired)  (Read 39247 times)

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
Re: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65%
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 06:00:04 »
Any chance the alpha logo will be rethought? It doesn't have to be anything complex like a wolf, I'd just love something a bit more refined and aesthetically pleasing. Everything else is great.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 06:35:54 »
Any chance the alpha logo will be rethought? It doesn't have to be anything complex like a wolf, I'd just love something a bit more refined and aesthetically pleasing. Everything else is great.

If you all throw some ideas my way and I see enough support for a logo change, it might happen. Heavy emphasis on might though.
Ojou

Offline SUB01

Re: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65% (Prototype Pictures in!)
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 07:27:31 »
I think the alpha looks pretty... alpha. lol. However, I think you might want to consider centering the alpha logo in the top right "square." That off center-ness is kinda bugging me a little bit. Its not like the kyuu logo where its big enough for it to still kinda fill the space.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 10:29:19 »
I think the alpha looks pretty... alpha. lol. However, I think you might want to consider centering the alpha logo in the top right "square." That off center-ness is kinda bugging me a little bit. Its not like the kyuu logo where its big enough for it to still kinda fill the space.

As it is now, the logo is centered on the blocker where a keycap would normally be. I have tried "centering" it more to the entirety of the square that includes the bezels before, however it looked off since it encroached on the bezels and broke the continuity of having even bezels all around. Perhaps I'll try making the logo larger to take up more room.
Ojou

Offline hessianlobo

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 11:02:43 »
Have you decided the pricing ?  ;D

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 11:13:23 »

As it is now, the logo is centered on the blocker where a keycap would normally be. I have tried "centering" it more to the entirety of the square that includes the bezels before, however it looked off since it encroached on the bezels and broke the continuity of having even bezels all around. Perhaps I'll try making the logo larger to take up more room.

I may be in the minority here, but I for one really like the pisces i mean alpha logo as it is.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 12:55:26 »

Oops. I'll add that to the main post. I'm estimating in the mid-$300's.
Ojou

Offline trg1234

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 14:25:59 »
On the pink proto pic i noticed that the alpha symbol is silver? Is that just the lighting or is that a new option?

Offline hessianlobo

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 19:36:14 »

Oops. I'll add that to the main post. I'm estimating in the mid-$300's.
Ok. Happy to hear it

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 20:25:58 »
I prefer having my winkey, but if you’re set on winkeyless, will you consider making the blockers evenly sized? I’m guessing the Right Alt has to be smaller. But if that doesn’t work, then I’m praying for Tsangan to pull through.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 23:09:43 »
On the pink proto pic i noticed that the alpha symbol is silver? Is that just the lighting or is that a new option?

I think that was just an alu place holder while he was waiting on the brass. If you guys are interested in other colors for the alpha logo, let me know (these color options would be in anodized aluminum though).

I prefer having my winkey, but if you’re set on winkeyless, will you consider making the blockers evenly sized? I’m guessing the Right Alt has to be smaller. But if that doesn’t work, then I’m praying for Tsangan to pull through.

WinKey is a yes. Even blockers is a no. I will update the main post to reflect this.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 August 2019, 07:26:19 by Sinapanis »
Ojou

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 23:34:35 »

I think that was just an alu place holder while he was waiting on the brass. If you guys are interested in other colors for the alpha logo, let me know.

WinKey is a yes. Even blockers is a no. I will update the main post to reflect this.

Thanks boss. Will you be doing a build video?

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 01:41:19 »

I think that was just an alu place holder while he was waiting on the brass. If you guys are interested in other colors for the alpha logo, let me know.

Thanks boss. Will you be doing a build video?

No build video. I'll document the build with pictures and provide a typing video when it's all done though.
Ojou

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 01:30:53 »
I think I might pass up on the Polaris for this.

Any plans to offer a black ano version ?

Or a powder coat/electrophoresis white with matte black PVD weights ?

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 05:33:59 »
My manu sent me some proto pics!

Show Image

Show Image

The pink is a tad darker than I had anticipated and the red has more of an orange hue than I wanted. Though this may also be affected by a combination of lighting and camera quality. I might ask him to anodize small blocks of alu for color matching and testing from now on.
Still, the machining and finishing looks good. I'll reserve ultimate judgement for when I have the boards in my hands.

Note: That blue board is not an Alpha65 prototype. It seems to be the dude's own board. Thus, it is also not indicative of what the blue gray might look like.

man, that looks wild in person. do you have any rough idea of when you might be looking at a gb?
Dolphin v3 | En Dash | Hyphen | Isla | Zenith | Jules | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 07:10:57 »
My manu sent me some proto pics!

Show Image

Show Image

The pink is a tad darker than I had anticipated and the red has more of an orange hue than I wanted. Though this may also be affected by a combination of lighting and camera quality. I might ask him to anodize small blocks of alu for color matching and testing from now on.
Still, the machining and finishing looks good. I'll reserve ultimate judgement for when I have the boards in my hands.

Note: That blue board is not an Alpha65 prototype. It seems to be the dude's own board. Thus, it is also not indicative of what the blue gray might look like.

man, that looks wild in person. do you have any rough idea of when you might be looking at a gb?

My manufacturer is busy at the moment, so I will have to work around their schedule. I would probably guess late Q4? I'll provide updates on that.

I think I might pass up on the Polaris for this.

Any plans to offer a black ano version ?

Or a powder coat/electrophoresis white with matte black PVD weights ?

Well, I would probably only offer either black or dark gray. I'm personally more in favor of dark gray because... I have too many black boards right now hahaha. If there's some kind of overwhelming interest in black, then I'll relent.
As for other case/weight finishing options, for this run, I would like to steer clear from them. From what I have seen in other GB's, e-coating tends to have consistency and quality issues. I want to keep headaches for my first project to a minimum. As for powder coating, it is more expensive and I am trying to maintain a sub-$400 price point.

The brass pieces will either be
  • sandblasted + clear coated
  • raw sandblasted (some people like patina)

Again, I just want to keep things relatively simple and limit any potential points at which issues might arise.
Ojou

Offline FredBananaz

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 07:27:29 »
Definetly interested in this case and how it'll turn out. Good luck, and thanks for the frequent updates.

Offline TheMnBN

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 09:13:43 »
Top right blocker, WKL blocker and low front profile really make this board a must-buy for me. Hope the prototyping phase went smoothly!  :thumb:

Not sure if this has been asked but how limited will this buy be?

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 13:17:09 »
Top right blocker, WKL blocker and low front profile really make this board a must-buy for me. Hope the prototyping phase went smoothly!  :thumb:

Not sure if this has been asked but how limited will this buy be?

Not 100% yet, but I am imagining 40 + an extras sale at the end of everything.
Ojou

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 16:31:59 »

I want to be 1/40. Fingers crossed.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 18:21:24 »
Is there a possible discord server or something of the like if so pls pm me the invite.

Also would it be possible to take a clearer pic of the prototypes side I kind of want to see it clearly.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2019, 23:41:19 by trg1234 »

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 19:23:22 »
My manufacturer is busy at the moment, so I will have to work around their schedule. I would probably guess late Q4? I'll provide updates on that.

Ah, sick. That gives me more time to save up haha, I've got a lot coming up, and I'm really hoping to squeeze this in towards the end of the year!

Do you have any inkling of whether you want this to be fcfs, or if you want it to be a raffle? Oh, and on your debate with a logo change, I personally think it's pretty much perfect as is. It's grown on me a ton since the IC was first posted

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 02:50:31 »

Ah, sick. That gives me more time to save up haha, I've got a lot coming up, and I'm really hoping to squeeze this in towards the end of the year!

Do you have any inkling of whether you want this to be fcfs, or if you want it to be a raffle? Oh, and on your debate with a logo change, I personally think it's pretty much perfect as is. It's grown on me a ton since the IC was first posted

Probably fcfs.

Is there a possible discord server or something of the like if so pls pm me the invite.

Also would it be possible to take a clearer pic of the prototypes side I kind of want to see it clearly.

Ah, well I currently have a server with just me where I post reminders for myself haha. I'll think about making it public.

The prototypes are already in transit to me so I can't ask him for more pictures. I'll definitely take more pictures when I get them in my hands.
Ojou

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 18:36:04 »
I've created a Discord server for those who would like to follow this more closely: https://discord.gg/qrd9Hrh
Ojou

Offline clegmir

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 15:47:42 »
Will the PCB support hot-swap, or would we have to add holtites/Kailh sockets?

Looks great!

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 15:55:54 »
if it has a pink color and it is smaller than a TKL I am always interested lol.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 16:41:03 »

Looks great!

PCB will not support hot-swap. Holtites should work fine
Ojou

Offline clegmir

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 19:19:44 »

Looks great!

PCB will not support hot-swap. Holtites should work fine

Awesome, thank you!

Offline SUB01

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 07:23:24 »
Can we perhaps see the underside of the prototype? From the renders that angle might look really interesting.

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 19:16:26 »
I've created a Discord server for those who would like to follow this more closely: https://discord.gg/qrd9Hrh

heyy :) good to see! will continue to follow this with a super keen eye

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:36:08 »
I've gotten and built the red prototype. There are a couple of issues, but overall I am very pleased with how it turned out.

More pictures in the build log: https://imgur.com/a/bXkVIVn

Except for a small blemish on the underside of the bottom case, I am impressed by the anodization quality. The color matching between the top and bottom pieces is on point too.
The machining tolerances feel pretty tight. Everything fits together super snugly.
I won't say too much about typing feel yet since I haven't had a chance to use it for an extended period of time, but it's feeling really good.

Now for the issues I mentioned:
  • The red anodization isn't quite what I wanted. I was aiming more for a deep burgundy and this is closer to a scarlet.
  • The brass alpha badge seems to have a small blot on it.
  • The plate+pcb combo is kinda of hard to fit into the case at the moment. It still fits, but there are some clearance issues with the gaskets in place. The gaskets kind of need to be compressed to fit the combo in properly.
Ojou

Offline kidpid

Re: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65% (Prototype Built)
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:53:50 »
The prototype is looking good! How much empty space is there around the USB port? In the renders it looks like there's some extra space.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 13:09:38 »
The prototype is looking good! How much empty space is there around the USB port? In the renders it looks like there's some extra space.

Ojou

Offline kidpid

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 17:41:04 »
Oh, I didn't realize the port was recessed. That looks good!

Offline gnhuy91

Re: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65% (Prototype built, new photos!)
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 06:17:29 »
any Alps pcb version?

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 12:51:10 »
any Alps pcb version?

The pcb will have the mx+alps footprint. So all that would be needed is an alps plate. I don't plan on running an alps plate in GB, but plate files will be public, so you can make one for yourself if you'd like.
Ojou

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 12:52:25 »
any Alps pcb version?

Show Image

The pcb will have the mx+alps footprint. So all that would be needed is an alps plate. I don't plan on running an alps plate in GB, but plate files will be public, so you can make one for yourself if you'd like.

thats great!

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 23:25:29 »
Would you consider adding an option for no anodization? This board would look killer cerakoted.

The badge would have to be removable.

Offline .rgaindwal

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 05:50:43 »

If you all throw some ideas my way and I see enough support for a logo change, it might happen. Heavy emphasis on might though.

I love the design and I'll be looking forward to the GB. The logo off-ed me a little bit too. Maybe, I can help you with designing a logo for the board. My best bet to look into something is below.

Check this out?
https://www.uplabs.com/posts/minimal-wolf

I know it's copyrighted. But anything like this would be minimal enough to match with the theme of the board. Also, please try making the badge center of the whole edge, like IRON65. It'll take away that sense of "empty" space

Offline trg1234

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 08:28:17 »

I love the design and I'll be looking forward to the GB. The logo off-ed me a little bit too. Maybe, I can help you with designing a logo for the board. My best bet to look into something is below.

Check this out?

I know it's copyrighted. But anything like this would be minimal enough to match with the theme of the board. Also, please try making the badge center of the whole edge, like IRON65. It'll take away that sense of "empty" space

I have to disagree with everything stated. First I doubt op wants to rip designs off of the internet especially when they have their own. Second the irons design is different in size and ratio wise. Aesthetically I prefer this current one more.

Offline .rgaindwal

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 10:17:46 »

Check this out?

I have to disagree with everything stated. First I doubt op wants to rip designs off of the internet especially when they have their own. Second the irons design is different in size and ratio wise. Aesthetically I prefer this current one more.

Originality in something basic? You can not be original in drawing a rectangle. It'll always be a rectangle.
About logo... Google Howling wolf logo.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2019, 10:19:45 by .rgaindwal »

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 19:31:05 »
please try making the badge center of the whole edge, like IRON65. It'll take away that sense of "empty" space

Hey there. The designers of the Iron165 went in a very different aesthetic direction from what I aimed for. In my opinion, the badge placement would translate poorly to the Alpha65. I've stated my reasons in a previous post:

Furthermore, there are currently some internal design restrictions that would make that impossible.

Would you consider adding an option for no anodization? This board would look killer cerakoted.

The badge would have to be removable.

The badge is removable.
As for the request to order it unfinished, that shouldn't be an issue to fulfill. Though, I probably won't be offering that as a stock option.
Ojou

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 02:01:33 »
For those of you attending the NorCal meetup tomorrow, I will be there with two Alpha65 prototypes. Stop by and say hello if you can!

Ojou

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 16:23:36 »
Am here for possible a winkey layout.

Offline Esheu2

Re: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65% (Typing Test Added)
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 04:06:34 »
Typing test added to the main post.
Ojou

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 18:14:04 »
Any update?

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 20:35:30 »
Any update?

The communication and speed of work I received from my last manufacturer left a lot to be desired. I am currently waiting on prototypes of another design from a new manufacturer. If those turn out well, then I will be ordering Alpha65 prototypes from them as well. That unfortunately means delays for everything.
Ojou

Offline Esheu2

BIG UPDATE!
First and foremost, I would like to apologize for placing this project on the sideline for over a year. I wanted to concentrate on fulfilling my other project: the Fallacy. With that being mostly finished (a few units are waiting on remaking), I want to return my attention to my first design.

There have been quite a few changes:
  • The "alpha" badge in the front has been enlarged to make it fill up more space and have better "balance" in the blockered corner
  • The PCB has been redesigned by Trifelife
  • The board now utilizes the Universal Daughterboard centered on the bottom of the keyboard
  • The front typing height has increased by 0.5mm, from 16.5mm to 17mm
  • Winkey is now the sole option. WKL on 65% has fallen out of favor for me and has been scrapped to simplify logistics
  • Color option changes (tentative)
  • Plate option changes:
    • removed metal plate options
    • added Carbon Fiber and FR4 plate options

The new prototype has been built and I am very satisfied with how the board turned out.

Album of everything: https://imgur.com/a/r9Tkakb
Ojou

Offline Kinesiologist

Very clean and I really dig the design on the brass weight. Looking forward to hearing more :D

Offline soloplayer

very nice !! i'm interested
btw could you describe the typing feel for me? rigid, or soft?
and why do you choose aluminum 5052 instead of 6063 or 6061?
many thanks