Author Topic: [IC] Flex's V90  (Read 9165 times)

Offline Flexerman

• Thanks for all the fish
[IC] Flex's V90
« on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:40:14 »
Hello fellow Geekhackers.

This is a interest check in the truest sense, so bear with me.

I'm not the biggest fan of the 'ergo' layout of the Em7, Alice and their clones, but I love the older IBM and Microsoft 'ergo' layouts, LZ then took this layout to create his amazing LZ ERGO back in 2016.

I have re-visited this idea and have redesigned the layout to my tastes, with a seamless top case design, a 7 degree typing angle and a WKL TKL layout. I am waiting on delivery of my prototype and as soon as I receive that, I'll post it here.

Everything here was designed by me for me, so this is just a quick interest check to see if anyone else wants one.

I will expand this into a full interest check with more details in the coming days if there is any interest shown.

Split style TKL (Inspired by old IBM and Microsoft boards and the LZ Ergo among others)

USB-C Via daughter board[/size].[/b]

[/size]Side profile

The plate is mounted via a dampened bottom mount, plate material is TBC, I have Alu and PC coming and will see what I like the most, fixed ANSI and Fixed ISO can be offered, the PCB covers split backspace, split r/shift and stepped caps options.

So far I'm unsure of colours, mine is ordered with a dark grey top and full brass base, but this may prove too costly for any future GB, so open to your feedback.

Everything is designed and ready to go, I expect my board (lets call it a prototype) to be delivered in 3-6 weeks and if there are no issues with it I can get a GB started either November or early next year (I wont run it too close to Christmas).

That's it for now, thanks for looking. please leave me some feedback.

Offline Flexerman

Re: [IC] Flex's V90
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:41:18 »
Google form added.

https://forms.gle/D16WhXbnhctswmj28

Note, this is most likely to be a fairly small run of boards when it gets made. I'm not sure if were talking FCFS, raffle or possibly invites, if it does end up being an invite board, then I will be using this form as a guide for who is actually interested and not just planning to flip, so please fill it out, it may give you a better chance of getting a board.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:01:09 by Flexerman »

Offline sharkz_vaderz

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:47:09 »
I'm interested..seem like something unique for TKL..

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:50:39 »
This looks really cool! I love curves and sides. Waiting for prototype. Nice job  :thumb:

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:50:44 »
Wow. Count me interested  :D

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:53:13 »
Yes!

Finally!!!
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)  

Offline Pengu1S1K

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:56:45 »
****en amazing
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:58:22 by Pengu1S1K »

Offline stepstone82

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:00:33 »
Count me in. And I wonder what "dampened bottom mount" is.

나의 SM-N971N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Online beekey

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:04:44 »
Interested! Can you do a render from the top to see the layout better?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:06:33 »
Very nice ! In for a fixed ISO plate version. Brass would be nice (or a plate file..)

Offline lorenzocodes

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:15:01 »
So many nice ergo coming out, i like it

Online eniigma

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:32:35 »
Looks really good.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:39:59 »
Interested! Can you do a render from the top to see the layout better?

This is actually very important so yes.

Quick and dirty render of the ISO layout (ANSI users are also supported).

Offline kiyoboardasmr

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:42:24 »
An ergo tkl! The moment I have been waiting for has finally come  :D

Offline homerowco

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:48:43 »
that's an LZ Ergo?

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:53:41 »
interested AND intrigued! I've been using a quefrency at similar angles and starting to get used to it.

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:56:42 »
that's an LZ Ergo?

I'm quite open about my love for the LZ ERGO in the top post, this is also very different in design and layout (and split angle) , I tried several different case shapes to accommodate the layout of straight split keys and none look as good as the shallow V shape so I just went with it.

If its not for you, fine, but it's not meant as a direct copy or a replacement for LZ's board.

Shall I start linking the hundreds of TKL's, 60's and 65% boards that share a shape?

Offline Chrislol

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 07:35:54 »
I love that layout, cheer up !! I will buy it!!

Offline dantambok

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:09:34 »
Let's go!  :thumb:

curious how much the proto will weigh with the solid brass bottom. Gonna be hefty for sure!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:12:02 by dantambok »
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 / Hachi / Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / Percent Canoe / 2x TGRxSinga Unikorn / QXP / TX1800 V1 /  JER80 / TMO50 / Norbatouch / Poly Leaf60 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / Exclusive E6.5

Coming soon -- Jane V2 CE / Jane V2  / MXSS / Modern M0110 / FMJ80 / Rukia / IDB60 / Unikorn / 🔥 iS0 🔥 / Matrix Project F / HBCP / Space65 / 3x Matrix 1.2 / Noxary 280S

Lots of sets

Online MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:12:17 »
I've got a weak spot for Ergos so count me in.
I love what you've done to get rid of the seam.

I have 2 small requests:
Winkey!  I need that key.  Will the PCB allow me to use 2 x 1.25u next to the space rather than a 1u and 1.5u like the picture?
The blocker is in the perfect spot - that key is a PITA to reach on the LZ ergo.

Could you flatten out this bottom edge a little bit (kinda like the LZ Ergo but not as big)?
Speaking from experience with my LZ Ergos that flat edge makes for a good reference point when aligning everything for an optimal typing position.

227391-0

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:17:27 »
I really like it man, both the layout and design. I'd really appreciate the chance to buy this with a CF plate too if at all possible. Thank you!

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:28:10 »
Qmk? Plate thickness?

Love the idea.

Online papayapyjamas

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:40:47 »
101% im in!

Online Nigolski

• full-time neet
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:15:01 »
dope

Offline Slash Emperor

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:16:36 »
Really dig that layout and the side profile, consider me interested!

If there's any possibility for plate thickness options, might I suggest a 5mm plate?

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:22:41 »
This is great looking! Definitely interested

Offline pilotxj

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:25:40 »
This looks great, I am interested.  I will second a CF plate option, please.

Offline ACF101015

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:32:18 »
Definitely interested if there will be an option for winkey boards. Would also be interested in different case options (e.g. polycarbonate).

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:36:08 »
Are there any pics of the PCB yet?
(credits to Kokaloo)

WRISTBREAKER TKL | Porpoise60 | TGR Jane V2 | TGR Alice | Lynn Dolphin V3 | Duck TC-V3 | Singa x TGR Unikorn | Noxary 268.2 Pink PC | 420cl

Offline Rejeckted

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 11:05:56 »
This looks really nice. I'm on board for this!

Online t8c

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 11:14:09 »
Stunning

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 11:30:35 »
Ergo TKL?! This design is absolutely bonkers, instacop for me!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • too many ideas, not enough money
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 12:31:17 »
errbody getting on the ergo meme lately

decent stuff, frow is kinda strange but oh well

Offline geniekid

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 13:33:43 »
LZ Ergo has been my primary driver at work for the last 2 years and on multiple occasions I've considered using my extra Ergo PCB and designing my own case/plate around it.  Here are some thoughts.  They are my opinion and I do not claim to speak for others!

Layout/usability:
  • Consider increasing the split angle, or increasing the horizontal spacing between the left and right clusters.  Compared to the Microsoft Natural and the Cherry MX5000, the LZ Ergo already has the smallest separation.  Individual users vary, but I could use a bigger split.
  • Consider putting the Alt keys next to the spacebar, similar to the LZ Ergo.  Not having to curl my thumbs as much is one of the things I love about the Ergo.
  • I don't see Lock key indicators in the render.  I assume there are plans to add some?
  • I like the 7 degree incline.
  • USB via a daughterboard is a great idea.  The USB port is probably the most fragile component on most custom boards.  Being able to replace that component without desoldering an entire board is something I appreciate :)

Aesthetics:
  • I like the corners.
  • I like the F-key layout more than the Ergo.  Have you considered slightly increased horizontal spacing?  That F5 key is a little awkward.  Not sure that level of isolation is necessary.
  • I don't like the way the top shell covers the bottom.  I'm not a fan of the way the LZ Ergo handles it either.  I'd rather have a seam line than distinctively different tops and bottoms.
  • Consider offering anodized plates if you go with aluminum.  I hate the reflective silver showing up in the gaps between my keys on my black Ergo (with BoW caps).

All that said, I like what I see.  The Alt keys are the only deal breaker (again, just speaking for myself).
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 13:35:55 by geniekid »

Offline jaang

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 16:05:35 »
interested :O

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 16:09:13 »
This is pretty much what I was lookin for when I saw the Physix pop up from LZ. Pending specifics I'm very interested as the design looks good. I am a proponent of only 1 B. On the right side of course.

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 16:19:11 »
LZ Ergo has been my primary driver at work for the last 2 years and on multiple occasions I've considered using my extra Ergo PCB and designing my own case/plate around it.  Here are some thoughts.  They are my opinion and I do not claim to speak for others!

Layout/usability:
  • Consider increasing the split angle, or increasing the horizontal spacing between the left and right clusters.  Compared to the Microsoft Natural and the Cherry MX5000, the LZ Ergo already has the smallest separation.  Individual users vary, but I could use a bigger split.
  • Consider putting the Alt keys next to the spacebar, similar to the LZ Ergo.  Not having to curl my thumbs as much is one of the things I love about the Ergo.
  • I don't see Lock key indicators in the render.  I assume there are plans to add some?
  • USB via a daughterboard is a great idea.  The USB port is probably the most fragile component on most custom boards.  Being able to replace that component without desoldering an entire board is something I appreciate :)

Aesthetics:
  • I like the corners.
  • I like the F-key layout more than the Ergo.  Have you considered slightly increased horizontal spacing?  That F5 key is a little awkward.  Not sure that level of isolation is necessary.
  • I don't like the way the top shell covers the bottom.  I'm not a fan of the way the LZ Ergo handles it either.  I'd rather have a seam line than distinctively different tops and bottoms.
  • Consider offering anodized plates if you go with aluminum.  I hate the reflective silver showing up in the gaps between my keys on my black Ergo (with BoW caps).

All that said, I like what I see.  The Alt keys are the only deal breaker (again, just speaking for myself).

If a bigger split happened, that would be cool. This really got me thinking about negative space on keyboards. I don't really have many dealbreakers on either list.

Who else hits the alt key via curling their middle finger?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 18:21:56 »

Layout/usability:

Aesthetics:
  • I like the corners.

If a bigger split happened, that would be cool. This really got me thinking about negative space on keyboards. I don't really have many dealbreakers on either list.

Who else hits the alt key via curling their middle finger?

negative space = more alu = bigger = costs more

not that cost is really a barrier for people anymore
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Daily driver: TGR Alice

Everything you have said in the past has been false so I will keep my hope.

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 18:42:32 »

not that cost is really a barrier for people anymore

-->| MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice

Offline iEatPuppers

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 20:06:43 »
Nice to see an ergo tkl. Looks hot.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 23:54:10 »
Very interesting, I was just thinking about a very similar layout during the past few days. TKLs have always been my favorite layout by far. I have a soft spot for sky blue and crimson red colors. If either one of those is an option then I see nothing stopping me from getting one.
TGR-Jane CE w/lubed vintage blacks & 65g Korean springs, TGR-Tris w/lubed Tealios v2 67g

Online thornkin

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 00:13:10 »
I second the ask for winkey.
Also, I didn't see it mentioned.  Is this QMK?

Offline Kenton

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 03:57:00 »
i like it

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 04:41:04 »
Late interest

Online JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 07:32:47 »
This is freaking brilliant! love it :D

Offline flippanteer

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 07:34:59 »
Superbly interested!
Moon TKL w/ MX Zilents, KBD75v1 w/ Zealios 67g v1, Kumo w/ Novelkeys Cream, Diverge 2 w/ MX Browns, Planck w/ MOD-H, Anne Pro w/ MX Blue

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 07:36:53 »
Loving the wkl ergo, cant wait to see the proto with some caps on it!!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlighted
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 08:50:56 »
interested.
Finally an ISO compatible ergo.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 08:57:54 »
Interested

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline Damage

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 23:22:15 »
Interested. Would like to see a winkey option.