Author Topic: [IC] Cloudline - 88% / F13 WKL TKL  (Read 14936 times)

Offline Ustinj

[IC] Cloudline - 88% / F13 WKL TKL
« on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:17:13 »
Hi everyone

Have been working on this for a while, but refrained from posting the IC because I've got another IC running concurrently (Phase, 60%). But I see some people with several projects so hey why not put this out for feedback and logging? Hope you guys like it. Thanks to Shannie (for working on the project!), Dandruff (for always saying he doesn't like this or that, which encourages me to go through with it), Hineybush (for answering all my miscellaneous questions on his PCBs), and all of those who support me.

Cloudline

The inspiration for Cloudline is the 'silver lining' that you can see when sunlight diffracts at the edge of a thick cloud cover.

This board is a joint effort - my significant other (Shannie) designed the clouds that are engraved, as well as pitched the overall theme of the board that we ran with.

(not my image, please no sue)

Details

• Layout: F13 TKL, WKL
  • Mounting: Large 'gummy-worm' O-ring / Top Leaf-spring
  • Materials: 6063 Aluminum, Brass, Stainless Steel
  • Weight (approx.): 6.2 lbs, unbuilt - Large brass bottom weight, internal polished SS weight frame
  • Typing Angle: 6 degrees
  • Front Height: ~18mm
  • Plates: The usual suspects - aluminum, FR4, polycarbonate / full, half
  • Price: TBD, but aiming to be in the same ballpark, if not lower, than Phase ($600 plus or minus) See Q&A section.

IC Form: https://forms.gle/dNybmqtpo1m3SaCn9
Discord: https://discord.gg/XPEFcn8
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ascend.kb/

External Design

A Silver Lining

The external design of the board is a bit sleeker, cleaner, and simpler than my previous design. With the theme in mind, I had originally intended for it to only be produced with a silver bottom - I'm sure you can see why. It is a "seamless" - but not exactly - shoebox-style assembly, with the bottom piece slotting into the top piece. The bottom case peeks out slightly from below. 

Brass Weight Engraving

The 'Cloudline' theme is engraved onto the bottom weight with the help of my partner's fantastic clouds - staying true to the theme of the board, the clouds are continuous with the 'line' that frames the entire weight. There may be some shifting around on this engraving, namely adding another layer of clouds, etc.

(more) Subtle Curves

Again, I'm incorporating gentle and sweeping curves. I like them! Most obvious is the curve that contributes to the side-profile. Even more subtle is the twisting loft that creates the wedge, angling the board at a 6 degree incline. Do forgive the poor Fusion render textures. It looks good enough to get the point across, so I will stick with them.

Internal Design

Mounting

Cloudline is intended to be a large O-ring gasket (sometimes referred to as 'gummy worm') mount. Alternatively, it can be built using a stiff leaf-spring top mount design... Of course, this is just for fun and what I'll be testing in prototyping. If this works, I'll likely be running basic top-mount plates, leaf-spring top-mount plates, both compatible with the 'gummy worm' style of mounting.

Weight

Expand for OLD INTERNAL ENGRAVINGS - any renders you see with these older grooves are not up to date.
More

The internal design for the weight is a bit over-the-top. Before you persecute me for making the internals all snazzy (leading to increased machining time, materials, w/e) - I went through a few iterations and decisions to come to this design. In order to hide the daughterboard structure, I am using a two-piece weight design. There's a large brass weight that peeks out all the way to the bottom of the board, which sandwiches a mirror-polished stainless steel 'frame' into the case. For the thought process that resulted in this design, feel free to expand MORE.

More

I am not surprised you expanded this, because the internal design on this board does indeed look ridiculous.

1. The initial design was a simple cutout that split a deep groove into the weight and bottom case. Ugly, but for a while I accepted it.

2. I decided to do something about the groove, and added an overhang to the brass weight so that it covered a hidden cable route. This 'worked', but I wasn't happy with it. I was concerned with a thin piece of brass overhanging too far from the main bulk of the weight being fragile, and also could not stand that 'tab' in the center middle. I couldn't extend the bulk of the weight north, either - since the back of the board is slanted, it hits a dead end.

3. Current design. In order to remove the 'tab', the cover has to extend all the way to the edges. Because I didn't want a thin piece of a metal to extend from the bulk of the weight due to structural concerns, I separated the weight into two pieces - the bulk of the weight, and the 'frame'. Since I was working with two pieces anyway, I decided to roll with stainless steel to provide contrast with the brass. The steel frame is designed to be millable on a 2-axis CNC (it's completely flat) ... I know stainless steel is notorious for difficulty of machining, so I didn't want to introduce any curves or excess work here.

Yeah, yeah - it doesn't need to be polished, it doesn't need to be engraved, etc... a keyboard also doesn't need to be made of aluminum, or have mechanical switches, or be custom-made!

The Plan / TBD

Prototype has been ordered already (for mount testing). Another prototype will come to reflect the latest changes to the board, along with another round of IC. Here are some items that may be changed.

Tentative - Mounting:

Will only be modified if something goes seriously wrong with what I have coming.

Tentative - Logo Engraving:

Have been deciding between putting a logo on the inside, or leaving it on the arrow key blocker. Let's find out :-)

Tentative - Brass Weight:
  • Horizontal grooves on internal face - aesthetic, but may clash with the theme. Might save that for another time, and figure out alternative design. Reminds me a bit of my very first board - KBD67, and the recent Jaguar.
Tentative - Stainless Steel Frame:
  • Composition of the stars in the sky will be refined to appear less 'cartoon-like', and more elegant.
  • Composition of the clouds on the bottom will be tuned to feel more balanced left-right.

Common Questions / Concerns

Q: Can you remove the engraving over the arrow keys?

A: Easily. I don't have any strong feelings in keeping or removing it, so just fill out the IC form and I'll see what happens.

Q: What PCB does this use?

A: I designed this with Hineybush's H88c in mind.

Q: Why did you choose for polished steel on the inside, and brass on the outside?

A: I had ordered a polished steel weight for Phase. It was a smacker ... super pretty and beautiful. At the end of the day, it was scuffed half to death! Thus, having the steel weight internally will keep it pretty. Even though you can't see it most of the time, you know it's there ;) I might consider doing a polished SS external weight for a small run, since I don't want to deal with the QC issues. Some factories also refuse to polish complex steel parts (only flat surfaces). We'll see what happens.

Q: This looks like it is going to be extremely expensive. Are my fears true?

A: I don't think I can accurately estimate group buy price with so many variables at hand (exchange rates in the coming months, machining costs, unit count, vendors, etc). Not really a primary concern right now since I'm still in prototyping and development. However, I can say that the price of Cloudline's first prototype (no stainless steel piece), is nearly $100 less than Phase's first prototype. Given we add that SS piece into the mix, which is essentially a flat piece, I think we can get more or less around the same price in the end. I hope to be working with more units and vendors for this project as well, so we'll see where that takes us.

Links (again)

IC Form: https://forms.gle/dNybmqtpo1m3SaCn9
Discord: https://discord.gg/XPEFcn8
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ascend.kb/

« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2020, 18:13:07 by Ustinj »

Offline Ustinj

Re: Cloudline - (Silver Lining) F13 TKL
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:17:53 »
not reserved

Current IC Standing
  • Initial IC
  • Prototype #1: Prototype has been ordered.
  • Prototype #2
  • Final IC
  • Finalize Group Buy Details (Unit Ct, Pricing, Date)
  • Group Buy Start

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:18:30 »
woah.  Honestly, the snazzy internal weight is pretty neat!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:19:25 »
side profile and bottom is pretty sicc

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:21:09 »
Damn thatís a sexy keyboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:21:45 »
I personally dislike the engraving on the top case above the arrows, but I kinda dig the dreamy aesthetic of the board

Glwic

Edit: It might be a bit hard to plug in the JST cable to the daughterboard with that deep of a cutout, unless you use tweezers or plug the cable in before screwing in the daughterboard
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:28:05 by bisoromi »
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:24:34 »
A stainless steel frame.....this is the silver lining that I rarely see. Welcome to my list of watching threads. Will be fighting for a spot for this board.

Offline Quinella

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:24:57 »
really nice glwic!

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:25:15 »
the shiny edges on this pic https://i.imgur.com/XLgq5w3.png looks real nice, not sure if it's planned or just a render thing. overall very nice looking board, i filled out the ic

Offline kyuut

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:25:28 »
The design looks great :D, i love the weight engraving. Personally not a big fan of the top piece engraving though. 

Offline kiyoboardasmr

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:25:54 »
Looks really cool. Definitely interested.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:27:10 »
Definitely a cop from me other than the engraving above the arrows.

Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Дī)ノ rawr
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:28:12 »
Great lines, everything looks tastefully done IMO.

Offline hali

• zoom zoom
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:28:50 »
i really want this

Offline whitemamba

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:32:45 »
Lovely

Offline Sephiephiroth

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:33:04 »
Definitely interested! Especially so if there ends up being a hotswap pcb option available :)

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:33:56 »
Hi all, early for a reply but I have noted that a few of you don't want the logo engraving on the top piece - luckily for you, I had already been debating on the location of the logo. I have a version where it is laser engraved on the steel weight frame (internal), and the top case is clean. That logo can only be in one place on the board, so feel free to pick your preference in the IC form! TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Offline goddream

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:34:57 »
lots of cool things going on here! personally i'd think using a steel bottom weight would be more thematic - since its 'silver' lining? but i really like the peek through weight's engraving
REI XT-60 | Kintsugi Endash | PC Dolphin | PC Aburaya | Tengu

Offline dandruff

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:40:31 »
Oh what??? I didnít know this was coming! Good luck and good work, buddy!

Offline cannon-cat

• Formerly fat_jammer
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:50:12 »
I love that side profile!  :D

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:50:22 »
The design looks great :D, i love the weight engraving. Personally not a big fan of the top piece engraving though.

Definitely a cop from me other than the engraving above the arrows.

I personally dislike the engraving on the top case above the arrows, but I kinda dig the dreamy aesthetic of the board

Glwic

Edit: It might be a bit hard to plug in the JST cable to the daughterboard with that deep of a cutout, unless you use tweezers or plug the cable in before screwing in the daughterboard

Thank you all for the input on the engraving, that's definitely something that I don't feel strongly about keeping / going, so no worries!

As for the daughterboard, my intended order of assembly is for the daughterboard to be screwed in, JST connected, then have the weight assembly screwed in on top - there should be a decent amount of room to work with the daughterboard without the weight assembly in place :-) I intend for it to be the "assemble and forget", a la Keycult - where the JST cable to plug into the PCB will hang out, single and ready to mingle..!

Oh, forgot to mention - I had designed this with Hineybush's lovely H88c in mind. I appreciate his help throughout all the questions I have for him in terms of using his PCBs for projects.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:57:51 by Ustinj »

Offline stepstone82

Re: [IC] Cloudline - (Silver Lining) F13 TKL
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:11:30 »
Love the f13 keeb!

나의 SM-N971N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Offline wencan008

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:19:26 »
henlo justin, gib pls thx

Offline zoo

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:40:56 »
very thoughtful design, drooling at the internal laser-engraved weight

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:54:24 »
i am in

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:58:09 »
elegant design, def interested

Offline bananathock

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:58:32 »
this board is looking pretty good. pretty pog. i will be watching out for this one!

Offline Sweep_the_Leg

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 23:59:40 »
I'm loving the blue / silver combination, and the design on the weight is terrific. Understated, but really nice.

Offline paperassgasket

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% / F13 WKL TKL
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 00:55:57 »
are you also looking at using the hiney daughterboard?
https://hineybush.com/products/usb-c-daughterboard

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 01:56:49 »
This is probably the nicest TKL I have seen in a while.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 02:07:25 »
This just an idea, but I traced the top of the picture of the cloud and made it into an LED strip to replace the engraving that the people seem to dislike. If you do this, maybe design it better than I did.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 02:12:27 »
Yeah, sorry to bomb the front page, but to be honest I can't imagine a TKL without F13. It's a free extra key that adds symmetry to the top, and it's the perfect place for an artisan if your keyset has an accent meant to go on the escape key.

Offline GMK83

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 03:43:14 »
Looks great.  I hope the SS frame doesnít cause QC issues because this looks wonderful.

Online ogp3

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 04:01:15 »
Big fan of this! Hopefully will be able to join gb when the time comes <3

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 05:08:08 »
This just an idea, but I traced the top of the picture of the cloud and made it into an LED strip to replace the engraving that the people seem to dislike. If you do this, maybe design it better than I did.
F88c so no leds unless you use a daughterboard. it could just be an engraving then.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 09:24:34 »
Really clean. I honestly love the side profile and 2 piece weight.

I would prefer there be some sort of mark on the front of the case, near the arrows. Prefer logo, but am open to other ideas.

Edit: While I understand your logic about having the SS weight protected by being inside... I think it'll likely get scratched on assembly, and probably increases the cost of the board for little 'value' since it's almost never seen. Would prefer just sandblasted, myself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 09:54:05 by Visionaire »
Fan of Duck keyboards? Join our Discord server! https://discord.gg/f278P6w

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 09:42:57 »
Hi everyone

For what it's worth, prior to having the logo above the arrow key cluster, I had a removable stainless steel badge in the shape of a cloud:

I understand that some may not want 'branding' on the top face of the board, while some may simply like a clean look with nothing at all - however, in this case it's a bit difficult to tell if people don't like the engraving being a 'brand', rather than an 'emblem' that represents the board. I get it, because I feel that way too. I think engravings of a cloud / cloudline would feel more tangible to the owner, rather than the brand - only I would really feel connected to the triangle logo (since it's me!!), but those who know it's cloudline would feel more comfortable with a cloud.

Now, the reason I didn't roll with this cloud emblem - I didn't want to add another separate part, and didn't like the positioning that I had chosen. I may consider revisiting this cloud engraving offset to the right (in the same place the logo is currently in).

Offline ellw

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:13:17 »
That cloud is beautiful!!! Would love a board with that badge.

Offline krzank

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:14:00 »
Really nice.
Will there be an ISO version (with 1.25U left shift) or ANSI only?

Offline fropsie

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:22:23 »
Pretty cool design. Interested to see how the internal cloud design turns out.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:22:42 »
I'm loving the cloud. Understand the desire to avoid another part. Would love to see it moved around to other positions and shown as engraved options... but damn that looks really good.

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:36:13 »
Hi everyone

For what it's worth, prior to having the logo above the arrow key cluster, I had a removable stainless steel badge in the shape of a cloud:

Show Image

I understand that some may not want 'branding' on the top face of the board, while some may simply like a clean look with nothing at all - however, in this case it's a bit difficult to tell if people don't like the engraving being a 'brand', rather than an 'emblem' that represents the board. I get it, because I feel that way too. I think engravings of a cloud / cloudline would feel more tangible to the owner, rather than the brand - only I would really feel connected to the triangle logo (since it's me!!), but those who know it's cloudline would feel more comfortable with a cloud.

Now, the reason I didn't roll with this cloud emblem - I didn't want to add another separate part, and didn't like the positioning that I had chosen. I may consider revisiting this cloud engraving offset to the right (in the same place the logo is currently in).

I personally like this; very on brand to the board, but not over the top in your face. Good job!

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:52:59 »
Wow this is pretty neat. Very interesting weight design, otherwise quite clean and good looking.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 11:41:55 »
Hi everyone

Show Image

Would you reconsider this idea?  I think it's super cool and super unique to have a removable badge!

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 11:55:41 »
Hi everyone

Show Image

So in other words exactly what i suggested earlier? I dig.

Offline L8T

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 11:56:17 »
I LOVE IT! I was a huge fan of Phase and now a huge fan of Cloudline :) Lets hope I get lucky enough to get one!

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:11:39 »
you had me at WKL, the design elements are very artistic.
May I suggest more color options?
- black, silver, navy, grey, white
- it would be great if we can choose the top and bottom case color ourselves either to match or mismatch

looking forward to this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:30:23 by Kinesiologist »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:13:39 »
So in other words exactly what i suggested earlier? I dig.

Yes, you were definitely on the same path I was on earlier   ^-^

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Shannie will find it a big relief that everyone seems to love the weight engravings.

There are some exciting tweaks to be made to the design that I believe will impress all over again when shown.

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:24:45 »
Yes, you were definitely on the same path I was on earlier   ^-^

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Shannie will find it a big relief that everyone seems to love the weight engravings.

There are some exciting tweaks to be made to the design that I believe will impress all over again when shown.

I did want to add that I much prefer the logo on top of the up arrow key as it is now over it being off center. I feel like F13 TKL's go for the F13 for the symmetry and it would be nice to have that symmetry carried over in the logo as well

Offline meowscanttype

• 65 is bad
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:29:31 »
very nice looking rectangle, that side profile is purdy.

Offline misswaffle

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:00:27 »
This board's aesthetic and theme are absolutely lovely! I love the elegant, subtle curves on the sides and the weight design. Like a couple others, I'm not a big fan of the logo engraving, so that cloud seems like it would be a wonderful addition instead. Definitely going to be keeping a close eye on this project!

Offline FaIIen

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:02:36 »
Very interesting, nice desgin!

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:04:30 »
Gorgeous, form submitted, wallet terrified.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:26:22 »
cloud emblem looks cool

agree that re-positioning it to be offset to the right (rather than centered above the arrow cluster) would look better imo

Offline Jefff

• Formerly CorruptedJef
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:27:08 »
Beautiful board, will definitely cop!

Offline ligongduck

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:39:05 »
This board is beautiful. GL

Offline hpkb

• Formerly Hungphm01
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 13:50:42 »
That side profile is cleeaannn

Offline Minam

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 14:08:41 »
Please put the logo on the center... WKL and F13 is all for that symmetry and it will be kind of ironic to have the logo be off center.

Even though the best option would not to have anything above the arrow cluster in the first place.

Offline LubedHealios

• swede living in The Netherlands
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 17:04:50 »
I would love the clean elegant look of no logo on the top,
although a shallower longer cloud engraving might be interesting.

Other then that the board looks amazing with a interesting double weight and the way to route the daughterboard,
the bottom looks great and how it transfers into the side which gives it a distinct and nice side profile...
overall i love the look of this, would be interesting to see how that spring leaf would perform with a less stiff plate material.
I'll be looking out for this one for sure
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 17:16:20 by LubedHealios »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 17:34:39 »
Thanks all for the support.

One thing I have seen mentioned a few times is that the logo / engraving should be centered over the arrow keys (if there is one at all), for symmetry.

For the cloud emblem 'badge', I had it centered but removed it. In order to use the cloud piece, I would need to have it extended horizontally ... I don't want to center something that is ~1u wide over the arrow keys. My issue with centering something small over the arrow keys is that it kind of "connects" the arrow cluster to the 6-key cluster above it, leaving two empty rectangles to the left and right. It looks unnatural, too orderly .. hard to put what I feel about it into words  :))

In the case of the cloud example, centering that cloud perfectly over the arrow keys looked unnaturally orderly, how the left and right edges of the clouds lined up so closely with the up arrow key's cutout. Same goes for the triangle logo that is currently on the board - the choice to have it offset and centered 1u to the right of the arrow keys was intentional, knowing full well that I would break the symmetry and grid-like organization of everything to the right of the enter key.

I think symmetry, when it comes to blockers, keycaps, etc - excellent (tis why 60% is GOATED). But for this engraving, I don't think I'll be centering it unless the engraving is at least ~2.5 units wide to  fill in the rectangles made by the space above the left/right arrows.

Just my thoughts!

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 18:31:11 »
I totally agree with that, think I even suggested it in the form too - an engraving along that full span would look very nice I think. Imagine a brass inlay too. 👀

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:28:27 »
aw yeuh

Offline dantambok

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:42:21 »
bruv this looks amazing
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / 2x Keycult No. 1/60 / Hachi / Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / 2x TGRxSinga Unikorn / QXP / TX1800 V1 /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police

Coming soon --   Lynx50 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / 2x GSKT-00 / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 mimi / Fuji 65 / Haus65 / Valhalla

Offline kk73715

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:59:02 »
I would remove the internal horizontal lines on the brass weight - as you said, it detests from the theme. I will be following this, good luck :)

Offline sauv

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 20:53:42 »
love the theme of this board

Offline Dave_Types

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 21:10:21 »
Looking forward to this one!
Are you planning on doing multiple colours (I'd love a silver board) or is it just going to be the navy in the renders?

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 21:38:21 »
This is beautiful. Will be following this closely.

Offline Xephyrus

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 09:56:05 »
Thanks all for the support.

One thing I have seen mentioned a few times is that the logo / engraving should be centered over the arrow keys (if there is one at all), for symmetry.

For the cloud emblem 'badge', I had it centered but removed it. In order to use the cloud piece, I would need to have it extended horizontally ... I don't want to center something that is ~1u wide over the arrow keys. My issue with centering something small over the arrow keys is that it kind of "connects" the arrow cluster to the 6-key cluster above it, leaving two empty rectangles to the left and right. It looks unnatural, too orderly .. hard to put what I feel about it into words  :))

Show Image

In the case of the cloud example, centering that cloud perfectly over the arrow keys looked unnaturally orderly, how the left and right edges of the clouds lined up so closely with the up arrow key's cutout. Same goes for the triangle logo that is currently on the board - the choice to have it offset and centered 1u to the right of the arrow keys was intentional, knowing full well that I would break the symmetry and grid-like organization of everything to the right of the enter key.

I think symmetry, when it comes to blockers, keycaps, etc - excellent (tis why 60% is GOATED). But for this engraving, I don't think I'll be centering it unless the engraving is at least ~2.5 units wide to  fill in the rectangles made by the space above the left/right arrows.

Just my thoughts!

Agree with how you described the cloud to be unnatural if it's positioned perfectly at the center. Personally, I like the cloud shape and overall design of this board. Looks clean! I think it will look great if the cloud is extended slightly horizontally; maybe something like the engraving on Lyn Whale  :)

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 10:16:45 »
I like the overall theme and design! Very clean :) Any reason for the choice of mounting style?

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:09:00 »
Already filled in the IC form! :D

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:43:50 »
I like the overall theme and design! Very clean :) Any reason for the choice of mounting style?

Honestly, one of my favorite things about making keyboards and getting prototypes is playing with random mounting styles. There have been some wacky ideas I've had but I'm not brave enough to prototype yet, so this leans more towards something that has been proven.

It's possible that I may revert this to the standard gummy worm / basic top mount if required.

Offline DERBS

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:50:07 »
Very nice! Consider me interested

Offline isot0nic

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:58:06 »
Ooh this is neat!

Offline wencan008

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:33:22 »
I mentioned this in the discord yesterday, but I'd love to see an orange/pink/purple color reminiscent of a sunset to go with that silver lining

Offline Jefff

• Formerly CorruptedJef
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 17:47:59 »
So this won't be using a daughterboard, since it uses the H88?

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:03:37 »
Great looking board! I dig the current engraving but also wouldnt mind a cloud engraving.

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:08:13 »
So this won't be using a daughterboard, since it uses the H88?
no, he said in the discord will use h88 with daughter board, as you look the render.

Offline mattv

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:57:04 »
Love the design.  Definitely would consider buying.

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 20:03:18 »
Hot damn, this is hawt. Will really keep a close eye on this!

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 20:52:57 »
Cloud emblem is cool, but i think its slightly obtrusive to my taste, + the extra part concern (those tolerances would be quite tight)

Maybe it would work nicer as an engraving?
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline UberPlatypus

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 21:33:11 »
Really like the design. Scared of the price if this becomes a reality. Add a knob and I'll fork over more than enough money to pay for a used Honda Civic.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Offline IMZO

• Golden Rule
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 22:38:45 »
i love this one..

Thought im done with tkls.. lmao
TKL WKL shill

Offline SmilingPudding

• 60% is the best layout.
    • Instagram
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:59:54 »
The side profile is so clean. We need more TKL boards with F13 key.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 03:19:44 »
Small update to share, as well as clear some things up.

Price

I've seen a lot of people projecting that Cloudline is going to be really expensive - I've decided I'm going to strikethrough the $550 price estimate for now. This number was a result of finding that the Cloudline prototype 1 (no SS piece) was decently cheaper than my Phase prototype. (Of course, Phase pricing isn't finalized yet either - but from the logistics & spreadsheets I've done, I was able to estimate a ~$550 price point for Phase with me putting a few K upfront to cover manu costs). The SS piece for Cloudline should be simpler to machine than the weight on Phase, given it's essentially a flat piece of metal.

Also, I suppose it's not a good idea to set price estimates for bulk ordering on things that will be taken care of several months in the future. Phase may still be going through an experimental phase with more prototyping to be done - so Cloudline does not have a set timeframe to roll. There are a lot of factors to consider as to why price really shouldn't be estimated right now:
  • Potential design changes (unlikely to change costs by much)
  • Group buy date - not really thinking about this right now, but when it runs, currency exchange rates may have increased / decreased, machining costs may change, etc.
  • How many units? Don't know, it all goes hand in hand :hand_splayed:
  • Vendors? I do hope to have this out with vendors this time around, and in that case things will be very different from my own logistics with Phase. Please don't DM me as a vendor yet as it's going to be a while before I want to run this project.

"Big" Internal & External Engravings Update

I mentioned that I wanted to refine the internals by:
  • Making the stars and clouds appear more natural, less 'cartoony'. Aiming for elegance..
  • Change the internal brass pattern from the patterned grooves - the industrial, rugged look clashed with the board's gentle, sleek, dreamy theme.

Also for those who were curious, I removed the logo above the blocker for this render. Do forgive me for the lighting inconsistencies. Also note that with a silver bottom (for the 'silver lining' side profile), there would be less contrast against the steel weight... rendered in dark gray for visual purposes.

OLD
More

UPDATE
More

Note the laser engraved stars have been changed, clouds, etc. Logo has been removed from the arrow cluster as I only want the logo on this board once. Another possible area could be the edge facing away from the user (the face above the USB port).

Thanks for all the support so far! Shannie and I are ecstatic to see that people are liking what they see.

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:13:14 »
Love the previous design, also love the new design.
I like the design for the new stars and moon better, but somehow I like the design for the previous cloud better, but I like both designs anyway :)

Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:15:09 by SirKhamenman »

Offline Hdjekso

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:55:39 »
Love the previous design, also love the new design.
I like the design for the new stars and moon better, but somehow I like the design for the previous cloud better, but I like both designs anyway :)

Just my 2 cents

agreed

Offline Digmo

• keebit.studio
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 06:43:08 »
intrested to see where this goes

Online o3okevin

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 09:33:08 »
Winkey gang crying  :(

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 19:07:22 »

I know you can Ctrl + Esc for Start, but is there still a shortcut for locking the PC 🤔

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 19:18:31 »

I know you can Ctrl + Esc for Start, but is there still a shortcut for locking the PC 🤔

Personally, I use caps lock ctrl and my bottom left key is winkey 😁 it is fantastic.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 19:29:16 »

Personally, I use caps lock ctrl and my bottom left key is winkey 😁 it is fantastic.

Interesting! I guess I don't really use capslock all that much, could work out nicely.

Offline ubmit

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 01:47:36 »

I use the same setup here! It works great :thumb:

Curious to know about the price point for this, because I'm really interested in the design!

Offline kyuut

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 15:06:53 »
i've been doing some thinking about my previous comment regarding the engraving, i think adding a engraving that is more related to clouds would give the board a nice identity 
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2020, 15:12:03 by kyuut »

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 22:01:10 »
That is nice looking.  Looks familiar though.  Not familiar enough to ID> Wish the bezel could be curvier.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 04:54:55 »
That is nice looking.  Looks familiar though.  Not familiar enough to ID> Wish the bezel could be curvier.
i agree. the bottom is insane, but the top piece looks like anything else. without any engravings, there is no way to tell this board apart from others, at least not from the top.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 12:27:03 »
i agree. the bottom is insane, but the top piece looks like anything else. without any engravings, there is no way to tell this board apart from others, at least not from the top.

Agree, would still like to have something on the top

Offline kiyoboardasmr

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 14:34:35 »
I also don't have any problem with well-made logo, engraving etc. on top. Considering that this is cloud/star themed board, maybe having a LED with star or multiple small stars cutout on the right of the arrow clusters might look cool.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 16:50:44 »
I'm in either way, but would prefer an engraving on top to separate it from the rest.

Offline Shinryuuki

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 18:21:55 »
I absolutely love the theme and design direction of this keyboard.
Holistically, it checks a lot of the boxes that I look for in a keyboard.
My only hope is that you would kindly consider offering it in WK layout.
Aesthetically, I would tolerate WKL blockers on a standard non-F13 TKL as the wider gaps in the F-Row (especially between ESC and F1) somewhat compliment the WKL blockers.
However, on F13 layouts, the WKL blockers stick out a lot more and hinder the design balance since the F-Row is much more compact leaving very narrow gaps that don't match the WKL blockers.
This is especially true on this board since the top and bottom bezels have been already slightly extended.
Of course, aesthetics are subjective, thus I hope you will at least consider the option.
Nonetheless, I am looking forward to future updates and wish this IC all the best to a successful GB transition.

Offline jewleeuhn

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 01:38:05 »
Loving this. Joining the discord, excited to see how it goes.

Offline T.Rex

« Reply #100 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 11:46:46 »
This looks really clean, Im definitely in. I agree with what you are saying about the engraving above the arrow cluster. Personally I think having it on the right side might be the way to go in terms of symmetry but thats without seeing it that way so im not positive. Either way cant wait to see it get to GB