Author Topic: (IC) GMK Fox - GB is LIVE!!!  (Read 73336 times)

Offline boneandbee

(IC) GMK Fox - GB is LIVE!!!
« on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:11:01 »
**UPDATE 1 April 21**
GROUP BUY IS LIVE!!

Imagine yourself walking deep in a forest, feeling the autumn air as the cool breeze flows through the branches, heavy with change. The deciduous trees are just beginning to transform their leaves to flame, the rest still shady, undulating oceans of green. You breathe deeply, appreciating the dense scent of warm woods, rich, mossy loam, and spicy pines. Tired from hours of walking through the leaves and fungi, you are searching for something of which you aren’t yet certain. Weary feet require a pause, so you stop and sit in the crook of a forked tumble of roots, wondering if you will have the energy to get home before dark, but still yearning to find that which you seek.

Suddenly you hear a rustling in the ferns and see a flash of burnt sienna tipped with cream disappearing into the thick underbrush. You carefully move the feathery stems aside to reveal the fresh indentations of paws in the dark soil. About to turn and leave, you notice two intelligent, bright eyes regarding you with otherworldly curiosity. Silently you return the gaze, and in those quiet moments of reflection you find the answers to your questions, your search now complete. You feel refreshed, invigorated, transformed. As the fox melts back into its surroundings, you are left grateful for this tiny interaction with the magic of the forest and the wild spirit of its creatures.

It is this transformative energy of change that inspires my first keycap set. Using complimentary deep green teal and burnt orange, I draw heavily on the cozy cottagecore aesthetic of early fall. This is when foxes are still active yet already fluffy with their winter coats, as the world around us silently decays.

COLORS

GIVING BACK

Myself as the designer plus all vendors have agreed to donating a portion of proceeds from this set to the small, independently run Save A Fox Rescue. This rescue is a US based non-profit organization which rescues foxes bred and suffering in captivity, raised solely for their silky fur. This sanctuary gives them access to proper diets, comfortable housing, space to run, life-changing medical attention, social interaction, affection, and love.
Find more information on them here:
https://www.saveafox.org/home

KITS

RENDERS

SMITH+RUNE - IRON165

ALPHA STUDIO - EVOLV

SMITH+RUNE - IRON180

TGR - ALICE

AKB - OGR

DESK MATS

Desk Mat 1

Desk Mat 2

GROUP BUY IS LIVE!
END DATE: April 30, 2021

VENDORS:
US: Kono
CA: Deskhero
Asia/China: iLumkb
Oceana: Switchkeys
EU: MyKeyboard
UK: Prototypist
South America: Fancy Customs

COLLABS:
CABLES
Nerd Cables

ARTISANS
KeyRelic

*note: these are screen shots of a video of the master sculpt (video won't post). Keys for purchase will have a patina to enhance details

Salvun

Special Thanks to:
VoxKey - for endless encouragement and support.
Langelandia - for essentially mentoring me through this process. I couldn’t have asked for a better Sensei.
NathanAlphaMan - for the gorgeous renders, patience, and being a good human.
YoniWolf: for having my back and creating the desk mat renders.
Capsy, BHK1004, Urbantheii, and LBaron - for your time and super helpful feedback!

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 April 2021, 12:40:52 by boneandbee »

Offline hali

• hali.studio
Re: (IC) GMK Fox
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:13:09 »
i really like the idea but i dont think im ready for the colours just yet; glwic

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:16:07 »
i really like the idea but i dont think im ready for the colours just yet; glwic
No worries! I know that orange is a little unexpected. :) I appreciate you taking a look!

Offline GalaxyDynamite

• kbd67mkII / GMK Vaporwave / Zealios67g / Krytox205
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:18:01 »
this is a better gmk camping

Offline voxkey

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:19:34 »
Love it!

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:21:48 »
Those deskmats :eek: so amazing.

Can't wait for this set to hit GB, GLwIC!

Offline SodiePops

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:24:49 »
oh man, I love this set! So cute.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:25:48 »
Absolutely beautiful, I am in love with this set!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:29:08 »
For some reason, the gaze of the fox in those deskmats really spooks me out. Neat color choices :thumb:

Offline kidpid

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:30:18 »
Great looking set! Any chance of a 40s kit? GMK Bushido's nomad kit is a good example of one. Would also be cool if the R4 leaf novelties could have mirrored versions for one of them so like the GMK Olive olive branch novelties.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:34:28 »
No worries! I know that orange is a little unexpected. :) I appreciate you taking a look!

after like 15 minutes of staring the set is really starting to grow on me; personally i want to see the mod coloured spacebars gone

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:37:25 »
This looks quite nice

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:42:30 »
Very attractive

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:42:55 »
What does the fox say?

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:51:30 »
I really like the cute novelties and it's a cool looking set overall. Any chance for a Canadian vendor?

Offline rinnefer

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:55:10 »
Love this set! Your IC form only allows for one selection for the which components you'd be most likely to purchase question though.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:55:15 »
Love the colors and the novelties are very cute, looking forward to the GB!

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 14:56:08 »
You should probably change the second question of your survey to be a set of check boxes instead of a radio button. Right now it forces the survey taker to select only one kit.

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:02:44 »
Looks good

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:12:11 »
The alpha color might be the best I've seen in a long long time - color me a buyer <3

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:13:07 »
The renders look a bit like GMK iceberg to me, but using my most accurate monitor w the RAL colors is a bit different. Really like this, and I think some of the low contrast novelties are superb.

Offline GMK83

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:16:51 »
I’m in

Offline keebnewb

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:25:29 »
Really love this colorway! I also love the fact that you're giving back to a fox rescue!

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:26:39 »
Love the colors, love the deskmats, kitting is solid, this is great. GLWIC!

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:43:31 »
goddd dude this is beautiful. I think the novelty designs could use some kind of outline around them, maybe a deskmat design that's more pattern based and minimalistic. please don't get rid of the spacebar accents :thumb:

Offline Dazon

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:48:58 »
LOVING that orange. makes me feel kinda cozy. consider me interested!

edit: please consider moving the Alice spacebars into base kit, as you already have the second B in there but not the bars.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:53:30 by Dazon »

Offline EURA

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 16:28:50 »
Absolutely in love with these colors! Looking forward to GB :>

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 16:33:55 »
how pleasant!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 16:49:46 »
Yes
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 17:37:00 »
I like this and now I don't feel so bad about skipping out on GMK Retrocast.  :thumb:

Kitting is great too. I'm loving the minvan support, I like the alt-mods, and the novelties. I would like to see a 1.25u Tab key but other than that, seeing ALL THE THINGS crammed into a base kit is great.

Edit: nevermind that appears to be a 1.5u backspace.
I would love to see some proper 40's support in this.

I'm not a huge fan of mixing text mods and symbols but at least they don't share a row. Would prefer to see all of one or the other, but this can easily be remedied with the novelties kit.

As is I would definitely get all 4 kits. I kind of wish there was a dark alphas kit as well but I think that might just be a bit overkill.

Also, why Alice B in base kit but no minibars? I wouldn't be upset if the B migrated to the spacebars kit but whatever works best for the set I suppose.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2020, 18:16:53 by paperassgasket »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 17:50:38 »
Dope. Who doesn't like fox's? (even after that awful music video.. that shall not be named.)
 Desk mat's are awesome, but the eyes on the fox in the middle one look a little off.
I'd actually prefer a dark alpha OVER the light mod, but either way I'm good.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2020, 17:54:39 by Havattack »

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 17:54:42 »
Dope. Who doesn't like fox's? (even after that awful music video.. that shall not be named.)
 Desk mat's are awesome, but the eyes on the fox in the middle one look a little off.
Agreed. I like the mats but those eyes are giving me weird feelings.

Offline Owl

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 18:47:38 »
Extremely lovely! Earthy, soft and cute. Really brings the feeling of the outdoors to your desk while also keeping it cozy. Deskmats 1 and 3 especially are phenomenal in my opinion. Very cute aesthetic that feels more natural than "kawaii" like we are used to seeing. This set is as refreshing as the outdoors and animals it portrays. Well done!

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 20:54:24 »
The keyset looks very good on Polycarb board. The jade green and iced minty colors match so well along with the Orange :thumb:
GLWIC!

Offline Dazon

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 20:56:54 »

I agree ^^

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 21:25:25 »
Got a real winner here, Juniper the Fox's owner would even like this set  :D

Offline bigern302

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 22:07:05 »
I will second adding row 2 1.75u Backspace (or novelty...) and 1.25u Tab

Offline aying

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 23:55:16 »
I like that Fox enterkeys! no foxtail color of novelties? :D

Offline TjTin

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 06:30:52 »
Looking for this gmk

Offline Swishy

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 06:35:45 »
Officially the best green set IMO

Offline ogp3

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 07:23:11 »
Oh I really love this! Especially love that portion of sales will go to charity - fantastic! Would absolutely love to see a 40s kit, but I understand that might be very difficult to reach MOQ on.

Offline andromache

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 07:48:47 »
Really nice set with a unique use of color and beautiful novelties and deskmats. GLWIC.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 07:54:56 »
Nice set with neat colors. However I would like to advise caution regarding the alternate modifiers kit. It'll be very expensive (probably around 89$ or 99$ mark at MOQ100) and will have difficulties reaching said MOQ. Additionally, the price of the novelties kit also suffers very much from having to carry a lot more keys. I'd ballpark the current variation at around 69$ GB pricing. Spacebars is also rather big, and I would remove the modifier colored bars at least, the remaining kit should be doable at around 35$.

Hope this doesn't come across as too criticizing, just my 2 cents as I see new designers being too ambitious often times and creating expansive sets that are having troubles hitting MOQ's and wish that you are able to avoid that here.

Best wishes for the IC and hopefully eventual GB!

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:31:01 »
Great looking set! Any chance of a 40s kit? GMK Bushido's nomad kit is a good example of one. Would also be cool if the R4 leaf novelties could have mirrored versions for one of them so like the GMK Olive olive branch novelties.
Hi! Thank you so much for your interest and comment. I am definitely open to adding a 40s kit - I will be making some amendments to the IC form in the next few weeks after it's gotten a chance to get some views in order to gather some data on how much interest there is for that. If it looks like it would meet MOQ I can certainly add it. Stay tuned for IC updates! :)

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:40:14 »
I really like the cute novelties and it's a cool looking set overall. Any chance for a Canadian vendor?
Thank you! And I am just now getting started on reaching out to vendors - I certainly have my fingers crossed for a Canadian vendor as well! I will update the IC as soon as I have any new info on that.

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:41:05 »
Love this set! Your IC form only allows for one selection for the which components you'd be most likely to purchase question though.
Argh haha didn't see that initially. It's updated to allow multiple options. Thanks for giving me the heads up! :)

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:42:33 »
You should probably change the second question of your survey to be a set of check boxes instead of a radio button. Right now it forces the survey taker to select only one kit.
I clearly haven't made a Google Forms before haha! Updated to allow multiple options. Thank you for letting me know. I appreciate everyone in the community having each other's backs! :)

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 10:01:20 »
LOVING that orange. makes me feel kinda cozy. consider me interested!

edit: please consider moving the Alice spacebars into base kit, as you already have the second B in there but not the bars.

Hi! Thank you so much! That cozy vibe is totally what I'm going for.

So my original kitting thought process was to have the second B in the base kit so that Alice users could use the shift keys for their space bars if they don't care about legends, and then that gives them the option to get the space bar kit if they do care about legends, or the novelty kit if they want novelty space bars. I will be making some updates to the IC form in the next few weeks, and will make sure to add that question to it. If enough Alice users want to see space bars in the base kit and it won't significantly impact overall pricing - I know these kits are beasts - I can certainly add the space bars to the base. Stay tuned for IC form updates! :)

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 10:08:06 »
I like this and now I don't feel so bad about skipping out on GMK Retrocast.  :thumb:

Kitting is great too. I'm loving the minvan support, I like the alt-mods, and the novelties. I would like to see a 1.25u Tab key but other than that, seeing ALL THE THINGS crammed into a base kit is great.

Edit: nevermind that appears to be a 1.5u backspace.
I would love to see some proper 40's support in this.

I'm not a huge fan of mixing text mods and symbols but at least they don't share a row. Would prefer to see all of one or the other, but this can easily be remedied with the novelties kit.

As is I would definitely get all 4 kits. I kind of wish there was a dark alphas kit as well but I think that might just be a bit overkill.

Also, why Alice B in base kit but no minibars? I wouldn't be upset if the B migrated to the spacebars kit but whatever works best for the set I suppose.

Hi! Thank you so much! I really appreciate all of this feedback - these types of comments really help with honing in the kits to make them the best they can be.
I am going to be updating the IC form in the next few weeks and will have questions to specifically address both the 40s kit and the Alice space bars. If it looks like there is enough interest for 40s to hit MOQ I can add the kit. For Alice, I had added the B to the base kit so any users who don't care about legends can use the shift keys, and then that gives them the options to buy the space bars kit if they do or the novelties kit if they want novelty space bars. However, if enough Alice users provide feedback that they do want the space bars in the base kit and it won't raise the price too badly, I can certainly add them. Stay tuned for IC form updates! :)

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 10:14:21 »

Haha it really can be an ear worm, right?
I've actually heard quite a few people mention the eyes on Desk Mat 2, so I will be making an update to it to hopefully lessen the creep factor as that was definitely not what i was going for haha!  :D
Also, i'll add a Dark Alpa interest question to the IC form in the new few weeks, so if there is enough interest in it, that is something I can consider adding!