Author Topic: Lubing Help  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Grxffiti

Lubing Help
« on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 10:23:20 »
Hey everybody I am planning on buying Everglide Oreos (these are 45g initial, 55g actuation, 62g bottom) for my next build. These switches are the exact same as Durock T1, Durock Koala, and other of these types of high tactility switches. I of course want to lube them for the nice result, but I wonder which lube I should use. Of course, my choices are Krytox 205g0 and Tribosys 3204. 3204 is perfect for many tactiles but I was wondering, how would it be if I used 205g0? Would it be smoother than 3204 or same. If you can, please tell me the difference of the result if I did end up lubing them. I heard 205g0 reduces tactility a bit that's why I wouldn't mind since Everglide Oreos already are very tactile. Thank you for the help in advance!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: Lubing Help
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 10:41:52 »
Hi!

You can use either lubricant. both are just fine.
Honestly, I don't mind just keeping them stock when it comes to lube, because I find them smooth enough.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline moosekeyboards

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 09:24:58 »
i've never heard of that switch, but imo, you should use 1xx series only.  Mix 103/107 50% 50% by volume.  This is a perfect formula for linears. 2xx series is thick and more suited for stab use

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 10:05:34 »
i've never heard of that switch, but imo, you should use 1xx series only.  Mix 103/107 50% 50% by volume.  This is a perfect formula for linears. 2xx series is thick and more suited for stab use

Preference Preference, and Idk why you would use a mix of 103 or 107 when you have 104 105 and 106 available, lol.
2xx is fine  if you know what you are doing

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 16:30:08 »
For my tactiles I just use straight 103 (plus 107 for springs if you feel like it). With those high, big-bump tactiles you might be able to get away with a little more, 104 is also a good one.

A straight 50/50 mix of 103/107 is gonna be way on the thicker side for tactiles and you have to start thinking about whether or not you're ok with a noticeable loss of tactility, especially if you over-apply. 2xx isn't any thicker necessarily, it's really just personal preference. I have some 205g0 but I don't really use it much, for stabs I just use 107. 2xx is popular for stabs just because the application is a bit easier.

Preference Preference, and Idk why you would use a mix of 103 or 107 when you have 104 105 and 106 available, lol.

It is nice having 103/107 and being able to mix the two to get to the right consistency rather than buying 104, 105, 106 etc.
2xx is fine but I never really saw the purpose for switches since in a non-industrial, long-term application like this the PTFE solids just separate out.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 22:00:16 »
For my tactiles I just use straight 103 (plus 107 for springs if you feel like it). With those high, big-bump tactiles you might be able to get away with a little more, 104 is also a good one.

A straight 50/50 mix of 103/107 is gonna be way on the thicker side for tactiles and you have to start thinking about whether or not you're ok with a noticeable loss of tactility, especially if you over-apply. 2xx isn't any thicker necessarily, it's really just personal preference. I have some 205g0 but I don't really use it much, for stabs I just use 107. 2xx is popular for stabs just because the application is a bit easier.

It is nice having 103/107 and being able to mix the two to get to the right consistency rather than buying 104, 105, 106 etc.
2xx is fine but I never really saw the purpose for switches since in a non-industrial, long-term application like this the PTFE solids just separate out.

Yes, I am an oil lover, but it tends to run all over the place eventually because there is no thickener to hold it in place.  I do not like when this happens. I am a big supporter of my contact Gazzew for this reason, as he is continuously developing a thin grease that will not run off over time, yet has easy application and is good for beginners. I discovered dry lube and I like the results of that. I don't see a reason to use oil when you can use something like RO59 or PTFE spray.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 22:52:51 »
Yes, I am an oil lover, but it tends to run all over the place eventually because there is no thickener to hold it in place.  I do not like when this happens. I am a big supporter of my contact Gazzew for this reason, as he is continuously developing a thin grease that will not run off over time, yet has easy application and is good for beginners. I discovered dry lube and I like the results of that. I don't see a reason to use oil when you can use something like RO59 or PTFE spray.

yeah the dry lubes are definitely interesting, I should give it a try at some point (even though I already have even Krytox to last me many lifetimes)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 01:59:47 »
Tactility shouldn't be reduced much, if any no matter what lube, so long as you don't contact legs.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion