Author Topic: [IC] SPRH - A 65% ortho compatible with standard keycap sets  (Read 2802 times)

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
[IC] SPRH - A 65% ortho compatible with standard keycap sets
« on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:19:28 »

SPRH (Square Peg, Round Hole): A keyboard by Eye Oh Designs
A 65% ortho board compatible with standard keycap sets

Whether you're an ortho user thirsting for a keycap set that doesn't have nearly enough 1u keys, or a staggered user thinking about dipping your toes in the ortho pool, the SPRH has you covered.

Stats:
CNC machined Aluminum
7.5 degree typing angle
Top Mount
Rotary encoder with button press
Daughterboard with USB-C and protection from overcurrent and ESD conditions
Runs QMK
No hotswap, but I'm considering adding mill max on request (at an additional charge)
Price: TBD

Hi GH! This is the Interest Check for the SPRH. Over the last year as I learned keyboard design, moved countries and jobs, and quarantined on multiple occasions, this board has gone through quite the evolution. I feel it's finally ready to go into an IC and to GB in the next several weeks.

Please take some time to fill out the IC

I'm hoping for things to start moving quickly. I'll be shipping my latest keyboard over the next few weeks, and then will look to start the SPRH group buy shortly after.

Take care!

@eyeohdesigns
/u/eyeohdesigns
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2021, 09:47:54 by joedinkle »

Offline powwu

• Discord
Re: [IC] SPRH - A 65% ortho compatible with standard keycap sets
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:41:46 »
I think this is a cool design, but "compatible with standard keycap sets" isn't much of an achievement, at least for the 65% scene. Though, this is the first one I know of that is ortho, so I guess you have that going for ya. This is pretty funky, I'm into it. GLWIC

Offline IO Sam

• IO Sam Hub
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:47:16 »
While not an ortho guy myself, I have to give you props for the innovation here.
Genius solution to a maddening problem for ortho boards ( although it might trigger some OCD out there :) )!

Offline totalemon

• praying for bingsu r2
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:56:56 »
Unfortunately not into ortho, but it's nice to see some innovation! I can see this becoming a semi-popular layout. That being said, it feels like the IC could do with some more information about materials, mounting style, estimated price, photos of the bottom, etc. GLWIC!

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:06:10 »
God yes, this is awesome. Iíd be in if the layout got split space and full-size right shift.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:11:23 by DeMechanica »

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:08:00 »
I think this is a cool design, but "compatible with standard keycap sets" isn't much of an achievement, at least for the 65% scene. Though, this is the first one I know of that is ortho, so I guess you have that going for ya. This is pretty funky, I'm into it. GLWIC

Honestly, I respectfully disagree, I think itís a huge achievement, ortho compatibility is the biggest downside of ortho and no one has made a keyboard like this before AFAIK.

Offline Arch4Life

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 19:35:18 »
cool man, I really like the design and could you add an option for a brass weight? would love to have that. GLWIC

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Kajoler

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 00:38:40 »
Not an ortho user myself but really solid what you've done here for ortho users. Interesting design and GLWIC!
>:0

Offline misononyan

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 01:25:36 »

Honestly, I respectfully disagree, I think itís a huge achievement, ortho compatibility is the biggest downside of ortho and no one has made a keyboard like this before AFAIK.

spacey by vanillakeyboards

Offline Bantalope

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 01:39:59 »
Could probably see this layout doing pretty well with a more budget case but defo an interesting concept, not into ortho myself but interested to see where this goes.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 09:56:11 »
God yes, this is awesome. Iíd be in if the layout got split space and full-size right shift.

Can't believe I forgot to post the KLE! The OP has been updated. This board includes both those things.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 09:59:24 »

spacey by vanillakeyboards

Yeah, this definitely isn't the first board to run with the concept. Spacey, orthostaggio, my own S50. This may be the first time this is done in a premium case though. Anyway, there are fewer of these than TKLs  ;)