Author Topic: [IC] SPRH - A 65% ortho for with standard keycap sets - GB April 9th - 3pm ET!  (Read 15827 times)

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs

SPRH (Square Peg, Round Hole): A keyboard by Eye Oh Designs
A 65% ortho board compatible with standard keycap sets

An additional bottom row has been added to put the right spacebar in a better position near the thumb.

The group buy is live!
Whether you're an ortho user thirsting for a keycap set that doesn't have nearly enough 1u keys, or a staggered user thinking about dipping your toes in the ortho pool, the SPRH has you covered.

Update on pricing, group buy format and timeline, and more pictures.
Stats:
CNC machined Aluminum available in anodized black or blue
7.5 degree typing angle
Top mount plate in sandblasted brass or FR4
Rotary encoder (2 color options pictured) with button press
Daughterboard with USB-C and protection from overcurrent and ESD conditions
Runs QMK
Includes needed hardware and bumpons
Millmax hotswap service

Pricing:
Basic kit (with either plate material): $350
Extra PCB: $40
Extra Brass Plate: $45
Extra FR4 Plate: $30
Switch Plate Foam (thicc 4mm EVA for you ASMR fiends): $20
Hot Swap Service:  $35 (includes cost of mill-max sockets and labor for soldering encoder and mill-max)
Shipping: $18 US. Non-US shipping calculated at invoice.

GB Format:
April 9 - April 30
Minimum: 10 units
Max: 50(soft cap) - 75 (hard cap)
Payments: Google Form with Paypal invoicing. No vendor for this one.
Timeline for shipping: Approx 4 months from GB close.

Hi GH! This is the Interest Check for the SPRH. Over the last year as I learned keyboard design, moved countries and jobs, and quarantined on multiple occasions, this board has gone through quite the evolution. I feel it's finally ready to go into an IC and to GB in the next several weeks.

Sound test 1: https://streamable.com/7ly7b4
Brass plate
Novel Keys Dry Series Yellow, lubed with 205g0
Durock Stabs, lubed with dielectric grease
GMK Keycaps

Sound test 2: https://streamable.com/dovj4s
FR4 plate
3mm EVA Foam
JWK T1s, factory lubed slider, body and spring lubed with 3204
Cherry Stabs, lubed with dielectric grease
GMK Keycaps

Lastly, I've added some logos to help round this project out. On the front will be the new Eye Oh Designs Logo, and on the bottom a logo for SPRH.

Take care!

@eyeohdesigns
/u/eyeohdesigns
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 April 2021, 13:37:07 by joedinkle »

Vixen

Offline powwu

• Discord
Re: [IC] SPRH - A 65% ortho compatible with standard keycap sets
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:41:46 »
I think this is a cool design, but "compatible with standard keycap sets" isn't much of an achievement, at least for the 65% scene. Though, this is the first one I know of that is ortho, so I guess you have that going for ya. This is pretty funky, I'm into it. GLWIC

Offline IO Sam

• IO Sam Hub
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:47:16 »
While not an ortho guy myself, I have to give you props for the innovation here.
Genius solution to a maddening problem for ortho boards ( although it might trigger some OCD out there :) )!

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:56:56 »
Unfortunately not into ortho, but it's nice to see some innovation! I can see this becoming a semi-popular layout. That being said, it feels like the IC could do with some more information about materials, mounting style, estimated price, photos of the bottom, etc. GLWIC!

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:06:10 »
God yes, this is awesome. I’d be in if the layout got split space and full-size right shift.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:11:23 by DeMechanica »

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:08:00 »
I think this is a cool design, but "compatible with standard keycap sets" isn't much of an achievement, at least for the 65% scene. Though, this is the first one I know of that is ortho, so I guess you have that going for ya. This is pretty funky, I'm into it. GLWIC

Honestly, I respectfully disagree, I think it’s a huge achievement, ortho compatibility is the biggest downside of ortho and no one has made a keyboard like this before AFAIK.

Offline Arch4Life

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 19:35:18 »
cool man, I really like the design and could you add an option for a brass weight? would love to have that. GLWIC

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Kajoler

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 00:38:40 »
Not an ortho user myself but really solid what you've done here for ortho users. Interesting design and GLWIC!
>:0

Offline misononyan

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 01:25:36 »

Honestly, I respectfully disagree, I think it’s a huge achievement, ortho compatibility is the biggest downside of ortho and no one has made a keyboard like this before AFAIK.

spacey by vanillakeyboards

Offline Bantalope

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 01:39:59 »
Could probably see this layout doing pretty well with a more budget case but defo an interesting concept, not into ortho myself but interested to see where this goes.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 09:56:11 »
God yes, this is awesome. I’d be in if the layout got split space and full-size right shift.

Can't believe I forgot to post the KLE! The OP has been updated. This board includes both those things.

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 09:59:24 »

spacey by vanillakeyboards

Yeah, this definitely isn't the first board to run with the concept. Spacey, orthostaggio, my own S50. This may be the first time this is done in a premium case though. Anyway, there are fewer of these than TKLs  ;)

Vixen

Offline opsecpanda

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 18:02:15 »
Another awesome board by EyeOhDesigns! It's a little big for my taste but I'm a huge fan of the design and concept. Also glad I finally made a GH acct the other day so now I can comment on these. Keep up the great work!

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Big update with sound tests, pricing, and group buy dates!

Vixen

Offline DeMechanica

The sound tests... need work. Can you send a prototype to a pro builder to see what they can get out of it? E.g. Alexotos, Apiary, Minterly, etc.

Offline mihalski

Havig had a lot of trouble finding orthodox keycaps... I would try this..
The look is great too!

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
The sound tests... need work. Can you send a prototype to a pro builder to see what they can get out of it? E.g. Alexotos, Apiary, Minterly, etc.

Thanks for the feedback! That's something I'll definitely take into consideration for future boards. This particular project has been in the works for quite some time, and I'd like to avoid further delays. I assure you that the materials are premium (6063 Aluminum, brass, stainless steel hardware, etc.) and this board sounds at least as good as other premium keyboards that I own. I'll work on the A/V skills in the meantime.  :thumb:

Vixen

Offline kinglokchung2000

will you plan to make a split version of this as well? ie two pcbs or alice like.
I really like this board, is almost a must-buy for me.

Consider using video hosting site other than streamable. It is banned here and I would really appreciate to not enable VPN to watch the videos.

Offline Adqam64

This is magnificent.  I can see why you haven't added ISO support but it's a shame given this board is kinda about love for modifiers.  GLWGB!

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
Reminds me of this:
At the 6:00 minute mark.
Would be cool if this is that same kid a few years later, but I doubt it judging by the op

Offline iinko_mk

I ****ing love it
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
Reminds me of this: At the 6:00 minute mark.
Would be cool if this is that same kid a few years later, but I doubt it judging by the op
That kid would probably like the Boardwalk.

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
Really cool board! I had a very similar idea with a very similar layout. I learned CAD and modeled a case/plate, but I have been procrastinating learning PCB design, so it is a ways off. Fortunately, I just stumbled upon your IC! I will probably join the GB to support the idea. 

I know it is probably too late to make suggestions if you are going to GB in three days, but I wanted to give my thoughts and some minor suggestions.

Logos: The top one is fine. Normally I don't like logos on the top of a case, but it breaks up the empty space, so I guess I am OK with it. The underside logo looks off to me. I think it is because the legs for the “P” and “R” are not the same thickness/weight as the other letters. Maybe tweaking it like this? Or a simple logo like this might work.

Encoder: I also put an encoder at the top left of my layout, but I wanted that location to be capable of accepting either an encoder or a normal switch. Of course, If I do this then there is negative space of the square corners because the encoder knob is round. (RPSH?) Your design covers the negative corner space on the left side, but not the right. If you are going with a dedicated encoder design, I think it would have looked better to offset the encoder by at least 0.5u and separate it from the Escape key location so that you could just cut a round hole. Alternatively, you could continue the rounding on the top of the case to remove the third of the four corners around the encoder. (Not sure if that would be too sharp though.)

Blockers: The bottom row and blocker layout look a bit strange to me. Maybe because it is unusual to have a blocker on the left while retaining the middle Windows/Gui key. I think it might look better with any of the follow changes:
  • Move Control over to align with Shift; move Windows/GUI next to Alt, move Space+Win+Alt cluster to the right so that there are matching 0.75u blockers on either side. https://imgur.com/AGp3Ks9
  • Move Control over to align with Shift; keep Windows/GUI next to Control, move Space+Win+Alt cluster to the right so that there are matching 0.75u blockers on either side. https://imgur.com/lAlh5cu
  • Move Control over to align with Caps Lock; move Windows/GUI next to Alt, move Space+Win+Alt cluster to the right so that there are matching 0.5u blockers on either side. https://imgur.com/yHXIrt1
  • Move Control over to align with Caps Lock; keep Windows/GUI next to Control, move Space+Win+Alt cluster to the right so that there are matching 0.5u blockers on either side. https://imgur.com/U5Jy9cN
Top/Bottom Case Joint Seam: Have you considered adding a ~1mm cutout/gap (sorry, I don’t know the technical word for this) that creates a defined line between the top and bottom half? The current way that the top of the case sits on the bottom isn’t bad, but even slight manufacturing inconsistencies might make the top and bottom half look like they are out of alignment. (I believe some people have complained about this with the warping plastic on the KBD67 Lite, for example.)  I also think that the line would look better if it dissected the front of the case evenly. (In the prototype shots the top of the case comes down past the mid-line on the front face.) Also it looks like the top of the case is taller in the front and shorter in the back. Maybe it's just the picture angle? If not, it would probably look better if it were uniform. Here are some examples off the top of my head of what I mean: Ryloo "Hello"  UniGo66

Either way, I will probably join the GB. GL!

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
I ****ing love it

<3

This is magnificent.  I can see why you haven't added ISO support but it's a shame given this board is kinda about love for modifiers.  GLWGB!

I was going to add an option to use a vertical 2u enter as an ISO like option with the left ISO as well, but there would've been a lot of compromises (different tops => more $$$, some north facing switches, etc)

I know it is probably too late to make suggestions if you are going to GB in three days, but I wanted to give my thoughts and some minor suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback! It's a bit too close to make some of these changes. I'll look at adjusting the logo to affect the weights. As far as the seam, I think the next version of this I run (assuming this is successful enough) would be seamless. This is the first case I designed, so it was definitely a learning process.

On the alternate layouts, one reason this took so long was that I kept changing the layouts :D No layout is perfect. I was going for a somewhat even stagger on both sides of the board. Pushing the encoder away from the main cluster would make this board even busier.

I'm glad people are getting excited for this project! It's been a joy to design and use.

Vixen

Offline jrel

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 15:51:06 »
Yeah, this definitely isn't the first board to run with the concept. Spacey, orthostaggio, my own S50. This may be the first time this is done in a premium case though. Anyway, there are fewer of these than TKLs  ;)

do you still have a S50 kit somewhere around? I am interested ;) Just shoot me a pm please

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
Group buy starts at 3pm Eastern! An additional bottom row and shipping cost info in the OP!

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 01:01:16 »

do you still have a S50 kit somewhere around? I am interested ;) Just shoot me a pm please

I've got one PCB that I use as a lubing station  :))

I'm planning to buy between 50-100 kits to have in stock though. Maybe in the next couple of months. Be on the look out!

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs

Vixen