Author Topic: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune (All info avail! Hotswap is now a kit option!)  (Read 68198 times)

Offline Rafa_n

Re: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune (Pricing update!!)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 07:55:00 »
While OWlab is making true leaf spring boards with a big weight and a dozen colors to choose from for $400, the clowns that can't make a WKL blocker are asking almost $500 for a full alu 60 with 2000 un that just looks like a worse version of the PLX. lmao
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2022, 07:56:54 by Rafa_n »

Offline joeyhokusai

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 10:32:17 »
That Plume colorway looks soooo good. Was really wanting to get in on this, but at that price point it's sadly a no for me. GLWS!

Offline anti_ge_jiu_cai

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 10:35:57 »
Pricing seems extremely high for a 2000 MOQ 60%.

Lol they'll use the same excuse that "Everything is more expensive than a year ago. ". Yet other recent boards like space65 r3 and owlab spring are over $100 less. Space65 seems to have way more complex machining, and Spring has a huge SS PVD weight. They are charging $479 for an old all-aluminum design. It's just non-sense. Polaris v2 is also coming out and I'm sure it'll cost much less too.

It is true that prices have increased for the past two years. The reason while owlab and graystudio offers cheaper price is because they operate in China.

Of course it's true and it's reasonable to charge more due to inflation, but I don't think that's what they are doing here.

Based in China so...what? All of S+R boards are manufactured in China or SEA(which is cheaper than in China), what's the deal here? Plenty of USA based designers charge decently. Mode is based in USA and they are running GB on Sonnet which is a 75%. A full copper bottom is only $549, and S+R is charging $699 for a 60%. They are just using inflation as an excuse to charge more.

Offline anti_ge_jiu_cai

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 10:41:34 »
The cost of a product is never only the cost of a product.
You are paying for the time and effort of the people behind the product. You are also paying for future time and effort for future products.
Complaining about the price point for a product you don't have to buy is super weird to me.

Do you think a pair of Nike shoes cost that much to manufacture?
Come off it and put some ice on the hurt butt.

Agreed. But somehow S+R's time and effort is worth way more than the other designers'? Even after their infamous "intended design choice" making the WKL blocker short? They are using the nearly identical designs from 3 years ago, what's the effort here?

As potential consumers of a product, the lack of right to comment on the price point is super weird to me too. What's the point on putting the pricing in IC then??

Offline Capsy

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 10:54:07 »
Imagine comparing GBs that don't run through vendors to GBs that run through vendors. Can't be me.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 11:04:31 »
Imagine comparing GBs that don't run through vendors to GBs that run through vendors. Can't be me.

Imagine trying to justify the price for this. Can't be me.

Damn those vendors: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116273.0

Offline juniper37559

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 11:48:00 »
Not want to justify who's better. Owlab invested their own CNC and PVD machines after their first or second design. Their prices were pretty nice even they're doing instock sales, which means they need to spend a lot on materials, anodizing and CNC machining before doing GB.

Who doesn't like to make money? To some extent, people can tell who's greedy.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 11:52:45 »

Imagine comparing a seamed board with a seamless one. Can't be me again. But then, I actually look into things before speaking out of my ass.

Offline nick779

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 11:54:04 »
This looks amazing. I've been looking for a high end 60 for a few years now and this ticks all the boxes.

Sorry if I missed it, but do we know what type of sale this will be from CK? FCFS or the raffle system?

Offline max.clacks

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 11:56:22 »
This looks amazing. I've been looking for a high end 60 for a few years now and this ticks all the boxes.

Sorry if I missed it, but do we know what type of sale this will be from CK? FCFS or the raffle system?

CK will likely do their custom checkout queue.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 12:08:00 »

Imagine comparing a seamed board with a seamless one. Can't be me again. But then, I actually look into things before speaking out of my ass.

Yes because being seamless should make this more expensive than a tkl with a weight and a 400 unit count.

Stop simping for makers like this or else this type of behaviour will just continue. What the ****.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 12:15:08 »

Yes because being seamless should make this more expensive than a tkl with a weight and a 400 unit count.

Stop simping for makers like this or else this type of behaviour will just continue. What the ****.

Maths is hard. I get it.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 12:26:20 »
would the polypropylene plate keep all the flex cuts? from what i remember the polypropylene plate is super flexible and on itself is too soft to put switches onto while mounted

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 12:29:05 »

Maths is hard. I get it.

Please kindly explain the math that I am missing then.

Offline lbaron

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 12:42:44 »
would the polypropylene plate keep all the flex cuts? from what i remember the polypropylene plate is super flexible and on itself is too soft to put switches onto while mounted

You are correct, the Aluminum, Forged Carbon, Copper and FR4 will have relief cuts. The PC and PP will not as they are more flexible.

Offline altaing

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 13:37:52 »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2022, 19:17:37 by altaing »

Offline mymeepo

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 14:25:53 »
I like how the board looks and I'm a fan of the S&R brand but I agree that it seems too expensive for its features. That being said, the tone in this discussion could be less hostile

Offline hali

• hali.studio
Re: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 16:01:32 »
... so we completely changed our approach to blockers. We thought a redesign was more appropriate, one more in line with what the community wants to see from us.

has this been addressed? i'm concerned about the "completely changed approach" and what's involved. it feels risky for people to be buying something like this when blockers are being advertised like a new technology with minimal info being disclosed.

The internals of the board are extremely similar to the most recent IRON165 and we should be including more of that information on this IC as well.

and have internals been added to the post yet?

Offline anti_ge_jiu_cai

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 16:08:38 »

I don't see how this is a high-end board lol, at least not the base version. How could an all alu board without any weights be considered high-end nowadays? Just because the designer sets a ridiculously high price doesn't make the board high-end.

Offline byebyeworld

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 16:23:52 »
I'm going to keep it a buck. I really wanted to like this because of how I got absorbed into the hobby loving the plum 165. But the pricing with this 2000 MOQ is ridiculous. For a full aluminium board with higher cnc complexity finished by a reputable manufacturer ( monokei/singa ) at 50 MOQ, the prices range from $170-200 due to materials fluctuation and scale down immensely with such high MOQs. It wouldn't even be a stretch to claim the price per full aluminium keyboard like this, CNC'd and finished to be $50-70 or less.

Of course we're not including pricing of packaging and what not. But packaging like bags only require you to purchase molds for the foam (a one off cost ranging from 100-400 depending on whether you require a 2d or 3d mold, i.e with or without angles) and then pay $2-6 per hard case carrying bag. You're immensely over charging for your branding under the pretense of trying to provide for everyone when your previous run of the "flawless" 180 would've definitely gave you enough money upfront to front this GB start to finish barring re-making top cases.

I must also add that design choices like "seamless designs" really do not alter the production cost by much based on most if not all manu's that I have contacted personally on alibaba, and custom screws are just plain lazy and adding to the cost just because you can.

If anyone would like to have a jab at getting 2000 moq prices feel free to utilize open source board files such as the bakeneko/opentkl and many others on alibaba using the RFQ function. This is also even before mentioning how overpriced extras are.

$479 for a GB board with potential manufacturing issues that is full Alu, I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to like this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2022, 16:37:30 by byebyeworld »

Offline lbaron

Re: [IC] IRON160 by Smith + Rune
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 16:49:14 »
... so we completely changed our approach to blockers. We thought a redesign was more appropriate, one more in line with what the community wants to see from us.

has this been addressed? i'm concerned about the "completely changed approach" and what's involved. it feels risky for people to be buying something like this when blockers are being advertised like a new technology with minimal info being disclosed.

The internals of the board are extremely similar to the most recent IRON165 and we should be including more of that information on this IC as well.

and have internals been added to the post yet?

To clarify since we are designing WKL and HHKB both of which I consider a "blocker" and the approach to them.  They are now modeled to be in-line with a GMK keycap.  For the WKL blocker, we designed so the top of the blocker sits at the top of the R5 keycap.  For the HHKB, we designed them to have the same bezel to bottom of keycap gap that exists between case and R5 to exist between case and R4.  Hopefully that makes since and clears that up. 

As for internals, similar to the iron180/iron165r2 before this gasket channel depth has been increased by 0.5mm to reduce compression on poron gaskets from original iron165. Additionally there is a second JST cut out location to support other popular 60% JST break out PCBs.  Besides those changes, I don't see anything of note for the internals if you are familiar with the iron series of keyboards.

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 21:54:33 »
Looks way overpriced considering MOQ...Why?

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 22:34:23 »
what is up with all the parrots saying 2000 MOQ? the unit cap and MOQ are very different things and they don't even have to be related
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Cookiecurls

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 23:31:05 »

Lol they'll use the same excuse that "Everything is more expensive than a year ago. ". Yet other recent boards like space65 r3 and owlab spring are over $100 less. Space65 seems to have way more complex machining, and Spring has a huge SS PVD weight. They are charging $479 for an old all-aluminum design. It's just non-sense. Polaris v2 is also coming out and I'm sure it'll cost much less too.

I’m not a keyboard designer and I don’t know a ton about global supply chains. But I do know that it’s just a fact that materials and shipping costs are much more expensive today. Relatively small designers like S+R are kind of at the mercy of manufacturers like DDS’ prices. All I can say is that the price of the 160 is in line with what I would expect DDS to charge nowadays. Maybe it’s possible that they go with another manu to get lower prices, but that comes with a lot of challenges and risks.

Having built many Irons, quite a few Mr. Suits and a number of Graystudio boards, the difference in quality is quite noticeable side by side. Graystudio and Owlabs are targeting a different market. They design their boards with low cost in mind. You can feel the difference in hand. S+R wants to offer reasonably affordable configs, but their priorities are different. Their boards are chonky, have really high quality ano, offer variants with massive brass/copper pieces. They feel more substantial and refined (ok there’s the whole 1mm shorter blocker thing on the 180 but besides that… Owlab mixed up WK and WKL on R1 Suits, no one is immune from issues)

When I hold an S+R board, I think “Wow… this is really nice. This is a beautiful, sleek, chonky board This ano is incredible ”. When I hold a Mr. Suit, I think “Yeah, this is pretty nice for its price. I’m impressed. It’s a good mid ranged board. I wonder how they got the PVD price down so low. I wonder if they designed it to sound good without the foam.” Just different 🤷🏻‍♀️
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2022, 23:37:48 by Cookiecurls »

Offline SilentStorm_xx

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 00:35:21 »

I’m not a keyboard designer and I don’t know a ton about global supply chains. But I do know that it’s just a fact that materials and shipping costs are much more expensive today. Relatively small designers like S+R are kind of at the mercy of manufacturers like DDS’ prices. All I can say is that the price of the 160 is in line with what I would expect DDS to charge nowadays. Maybe it’s possible that they go with another manu to get lower prices, but that comes with a lot of challenges and risks.

Having built many Irons, quite a few Mr. Suits and a number of Graystudio boards, the difference in quality is quite noticeable side by side. Graystudio and Owlabs are targeting a different market. They design their boards with low cost in mind. You can feel the difference in hand. S+R wants to offer reasonably affordable configs, but their priorities are different. Their boards are chonky, have really high quality ano, offer variants with massive brass/copper pieces. They feel more substantial and refined (ok there’s the whole 1mm shorter blocker thing on the 180 but besides that… Owlab mixed up WK and WKL on R1 Suits, no one is immune from issues)

When I hold an S+R board, I think “Wow… this is really nice. This is a beautiful, sleek, chonky board This ano is incredible ”. When I hold a Mr. Suit, I think “Yeah, this is pretty nice for its price. I’m impressed. It’s a good mid ranged board. I wonder how they got the PVD price down so low. I wonder if they designed it to sound good without the foam.” Just different 🤷🏻‍♀️

Saying S+R has the highest quality/ano out of the three shows you have no idea what you are talking about. I can't speak for owlabs but for graystudio their manufacture is 鸿图cnc, which is widely regarded as the best cnc manu in China, if not in Asia. I personally own(ed) a think6.5 v2 and iron180(wk btw) and the ano on the think was noticeably finer and less grainy compared to the iron. If you know who the manu for S+R is that is capable of doing a significantly better job than 鸿图 let us know who that is. My iron also had some qc issues where the plates were warped and painting coming off from the CF plate. I also don't get why cheaper boards automatically means lower class than the expensive ones. People in this hobby seem to have some moral superiority because they paid more for a board.

Btw I find my mr suit w/o any foams still sounds better than the iron, which made me sold the latter.

Stop promoting for designers that are trying to make a quick buck here as a youtuber. If you are sponsored by S+R, please forget about everything I've said.

Offline byebyeworld

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 00:40:46 »
what is up with all the parrots saying 2000 MOQ? the unit cap and MOQ are very different things and they don't even have to be related

Do you really think that extras are not going to be excluded from their 'moq' number and be added on a whim as they aggregate potential demand?

Yes, global supply chains are disrupted with the recent geopolitical events, but material prices such as aluminium that have > 100% increase still doesn't warrant a $479 keyboard because the base price of the aluminium is already extremely cheap. I personally got quotes back in december of $49 for a (top case) fully finished ( anodized/sandblasted ) with dds and got an updated one of $55 for a MOQ of 10. You may extrapolate from that as you wish.

I'm not sure about you but I'm pretty sure that if S+R+Vendors is deciding to pay dds for the packaging and qc service that is wholly dependent on them and that is where the labour price comes from.

Let's be real. The majority of the price comes from the vendor+designer cut.

The lack of willingness to be open to even remotely appear apologetic after 180 while taking a > 150% profit margin even after splitting with the vendor is a bit crazy to me given to a small designer.

There are no excuses for such blatant over charging. Low MOQs and High prices match because in those scenarios the designer is then expected to be able to provide replacement pieces given any unfortunate shipping incidents. This? I'm sorry but it's ridiculous and the S+R simps need to take a reality check.

I would be glad to however apologize if my statements are largely false if there are quotes that S+R or the main manufacturing contact are willing to share :)

Offline Cookiecurls

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 00:47:25 »
Saying S+R has the highest quality/ano out of the three shows you have no idea what you are talking about. I can't speak for owlabs but for graystudio their manufacture is 鸿图cnc, which is widely regarded as the best cnc manu in China, if not in Asia. I personally own(ed) a think6.5 v2 and iron180(wk btw) and the ano on the think was noticeably finer and less grainy compared to the iron. If you know who the manu for S+R is that is capable of doing a significantly better job than 鸿图 let us know who that is. My iron also had some qc issues where the plates were warped and painting coming off from the CF plate. I also don't get why cheaper boards automatically means lower class than the expensive ones. People in this hobby seem to have some moral superiority because they paid more for a board.

Btw I find my mr suit w/o any foams still sounds better than the iron, which made me sold the latter.

Stop promoting for designers that are trying to make a quick buck here as a youtuber. If you are sponsored by S+R, please forget about everything I've said.

I don’t think attacking people is the right approach. I stand by what I said about the quality and the differences. I’ve built 5 Think 6.5s and currently own 2. It’s a fantastic keyboard, a great mid-range option that I like to recommend to newcomers, but it’s very different from an Iron165. I’m sorry you had QC issues with your Iron180. I’ve owned 4 Iron180s and none of them had QC issues. My Tiramisuit had a flaw on the coating out of the box though. So I don’t know if it’s fair to say that your experience with the Iron180 means that all S+R QC is bad, just like my experiences with Owlabs doesn’t mean they have bad QC. I also know for a fact S+R isn’t “out to make a quick buck”. That’s just rude.

I am not sponsored by S+R. They didn’t ask me to post anything. I’ve paid retail or MM prices for all of my S+R boards. I’ve grown to know the people behind S+R over the last two years and they are really great people who care about the community. Just like anyone else, I joined the keyboard hobby without biases. I grew to like S+R for a reason, and I think they make great boards, some of the best ❤️
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2022, 01:42:40 by Cookiecurls »

Offline anonymous

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 00:50:01 »

It is true that prices have increased for the past two years. The reason while owlab and graystudio offers cheaper price is because they operate in China.

Of course it's true and it's reasonable to charge more due to inflation, but I don't think that's what they are doing here.

Based in China so...what? All of S+R boards are manufactured in China or SEA(which is cheaper than in China), what's the deal here? Plenty of USA based designers charge decently. Mode is based in USA and they are running GB on Sonnet which is a 75%. A full copper bottom is only $549, and S+R is charging $699 for a 60%. They are just using inflation as an excuse to charge more.

Hey, I am not defending S + R. I am just saying that it is true.

They're based in China so they don't spend more money on shipping the boards to USA for example, and paying customs taxes.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 01:19:02 »
lol, shills coming to bat. i was in for looks, im laughing my way out at the price. trippin

Offline Techlet

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 02:02:18 »
When I hold an S+R board, I think “Wow… this is really nice. This is a beautiful, sleek, chonky board This ano is incredible ”.

Interesting. When I hold a Iron180 in my hands, all I can think is how did they miss the massive gaps with the WKL blockers and why are the rubber feet so small and useless?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 02:14:41 »
Yes, global supply chains are disrupted with the recent geopolitical events, but material prices such as aluminium that have > 100% increase still doesn't warrant a $479 keyboard because the base price of the aluminium is already extremely cheap. I personally got quotes back in december of $49 for a (top case) fully finished ( anodized/sandblasted ) with dds and got an updated one of $55 for a MOQ of 10. You may extrapolate from that as you wish.

No comment on the actual discussion, but your numbers are either super wrong, or you're getting a hell of a deal better than anyone else from DDS.

Something must have gone terribly wrong with your quote because every time I get a quote for MOQs of 100 - 300 from DDS, a seamless top case alone is still well over ~$120+, and even at a MOQ of 500 a simple seamless top was still more expensive than $55. DDS price scaling is getting worse and worse, and it's why I'm starting to consider other manufacturers for projects.

An artisan case top that is half the size of a keyboard was quoted at $73 each @ 80 MOQ last August, so idk if or how you were able to get a much larger keyboard top for $49 at an MOQ of 10. I've gotten quotes from DDS for the same board with quantities of 100, 300, 500, 1000+, and the price stops scaling any meaningful amount past the 300 mark - the difference between a MOQ of 500 and MOQ of 1000 was less than $10 / unit.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2022, 02:36:50 by Ustinj »

Offline byebyeworld

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 03:27:17 »

No comment on the actual discussion, but your numbers are either super wrong, or you're getting a hell of a deal better than anyone else from DDS.

Something must have gone terribly wrong with your quote because every time I get a quote for MOQs of 100 - 300 from DDS, a seamless top case alone is still well over ~$120+, and even at a MOQ of 500 a simple seamless top was still more expensive than $55. DDS price scaling is getting worse and worse, and it's why I'm starting to consider other manufacturers for projects.

An artisan case top that is half the size of a keyboard was quoted at $73 each @ 80 MOQ last August, so idk if or how you were able to get a much larger keyboard top for $49 at an MOQ of 10. I've gotten quotes from DDS for the same board with quantities of 100, 300, 500, 1000+, and the price stops scaling any meaningful amount past the 300 mark - the difference between a MOQ of 500 and MOQ of 1000 was less than $10 / unit.

Show Image

Not sure why your pricings are so ridiculous..... I've never personally been quoted over $100 for a > 100MOQ order for a top/bottom/weight before. Especially your artisan top case.

If that is the case for S+R then I might be able to empathise a bit more but dds really isn't the only reputable manufacturer. Take a gander at kei and unikorns finishings. They're all fantastic and not 100% by dds :)

And theres also no reason to charge a $5 plastic plate for > 20 when theres little to no qc required....

I'm just disappointed at the lack of sincerity from the established 'small' designers in the hobby after receiving incredible amounts of cash upon the fulfilment of a GB to their buyers.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 06:45:26 »

Show Image

Not sure why your pricings are so ridiculous..... I've never personally been quoted over $100 for a > 100MOQ order for a top/bottom/weight before. Especially your artisan top case.

If that is the case for S+R then I might be able to empathise a bit more but dds really isn't the only reputable manufacturer. Take a gander at kei and unikorns finishings. They're all fantastic and not 100% by dds :)

And theres also no reason to charge a $5 plastic plate for > 20 when theres little to no qc required....

I'm just disappointed at the lack of sincerity from the established 'small' designers in the hobby after receiving incredible amounts of cash upon the fulfilment of a GB to their buyers.

I've also got a quote of $5 for a MoQ of 5 for a seamless, screw less, uranium coated titanium weight from a reputable manufacturer. I then proceeded to pay and the rep popped out of the screen to slap the **** out of me.

Offline KneeDeep

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 07:11:34 »

Don’t really see the purpose of having so much to say about the price of a board you were never planning on buying.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 07:36:43 »
Show Image

Don’t really see the purpose of having so much to say about the price of a board you were never planning on buying.

Ah yes  the typical dumb take whenever the price discussion comes around

If people don't complain about prices like this, they will just be more and more common. I'm not saying that >$500 keyboards should not exist, because I believe that there is a place in the hobby for premium  high end boards. But this is not on that class of board, I'm sorry but it's just not. And people trying to justify this kind of pricing and S&R's behaviour are doing a disservice to the community and not helping the hobby at all.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 07:42:12 »
Show Image

Ah yes  the typical dumb take whenever the price discussion comes around

If people don't complain about prices like this, they will just be more and more common. I'm not saying that >$500 keyboards should not exist, because I believe that there is a place in the hobby for premium  high end boards. But this is not on that class of board, I'm sorry but it's just not. And people trying to justify this kind of pricing and S&R's behaviour are doing a disservice to the community and not helping the hobby at all.

I'm sorry but who are you to make that distinction LMAO?

Offline voxkey

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 10:33:34 »
Well this really went off the rails quick and that's unfortunate. I will try to quickly address all posts since the last update.

Regarding assumptions stated as facts...

It's a shame this has to be said, but all the speculation is so far off base I don't even know where to start.

Regarding price...

We wish we could come in lower and still have it make sense but that just isn't the case. We're a US-based business with one of us already full-time. A lot goes into running a business beyond the cost of machining the metal. Our prices affected by the unprecedented shortages, inflation, raw materials increasing, tax increases, shipping increases, etc. It really sucks. Unfortunately we don't have any control over it. The best we can do is increase our quantities to try and lower our costs, but this only goes so far.

If you've followed us since the beginning you'll notice how consistent our pricing has been. One of the things we decided when we started Smith + Rune was that we wouldn't be a company that raced to the bottom if it compromised our products. We think of it a bit more simply. We work with suppliers we trust and those that have shown a track record of professionalism and very high standards. Our main goal is to deliver a high-end, premium keyboard.

Yes, we're a business (a very small one) and yes we strive to earn a profit. Again no excuses or apologies for that. I feel privileged and honored to be able to support my family creating something I'm so passionate about.

We've never talked about our supply chain publicly or our costs. I wish we got the pricing some of you have mentioned here. If that was possible and we could still maintain our quality standards we'd be able to produce a lot more keyboards for far, far less and offer much better pricing.

To keep it simple, we charge what we think is a fair price for what goes into our boards. If anyone feels differently that's okay. There are many great designers in this community that make boards at every level.

Regarding r/mm pricing...

If the only metric you value is r/mm flip price then we are probably not the company for you. We couldn't care less about flip prices. We're here to serve those who are passionate about the keyboards, not about money. One of the biggest driving factors for us to scale up was getting boards in the hands of those that truly wanted one and missed out and couldn't afford to spend thousands on the aftermarket.

Regarding other boards...

We're not comparing ourselves to others or trying to be anything but ourselves. Back to simplicity, we make what we make and charge what we need to charge for it to make sense for us. We hope that also makes sense for our supporters.

It's wonderful to see so much choice in the hobby now. There has never been a better time to join.

Regarding design...

It is true not much has changed with the IRON series since we first ran the 165. We made a conscious choice to go for a series of keyboards rather than a bunch of different designs from the beginning. It's never been our goal to make change for the sake of change, especially in design language, but each and every IRON has seen some amount of change along the way mostly to provide a better typing experience based largely on feedback from users.

I get not everyone agrees with this approach or appreciates our design vision and that's okay. There are more options than ever in this community.

That said, we have been working on a few new and different designs that might make an appearance later on in the year.

Regarding blockers...

I'm not sure what more can be said here. We made a very unpopular choice. We've listened and made changes. You can see the result for yourselves in the many actual photos of the IRON160 prototypes and in the video. Once again those aren't renders, they are actual boards.

For those that reached out and had an honest conversation with us about blockers or those we've met in person and talked with I want to thank you for letting us know how you feel. It's something we're not happy about either. It doesn't feel good to know you've created something people are disappointed in.

That said we won't be engaging any further publicly about it. We've tried in the past to only have our words taken out of context. It accomplishes nothing.

Regarding toxicity...

It's really a shame and it's bad for the community and it's unnecessary. Please just stop. Beyond this post, we won't engage.

Regarding feedback...

For those looking for answers or to provide honest feedback on the 160 or any of our previous boards and find this thread to be a bit too noisy you're more than welcome to join our Discord. We have a great community with tons of knowledgeable people there to help out and provide answers. Luke and I are also available to talk throughout the day. Luckily we're still small enough to be able to connect directly so don't be shy.

Join Smith + Rune Discord

Moving forward...

We're still a new company and we are still learning everyday. We will continue to grow and create and follow our passions. We will strive to listen more. We will strive to be better not only as a company, but as people.

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 13:10:16 »
We're here to serve those who are passionate about the keyboards, not about money.

** pricing for safa was actually $395
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2022, 14:25:10 by ankit-sachdeva »
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline lbaron

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 13:21:35 »
We're here to serve those who are passionate about the keyboards, not about money.

Show Image

Do you realize that was in regards to mech market? Probably not even though it’s in bold. We care about getting boards in peoples hands, not what you flip it for.

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 13:22:30 »
If you cared about getting it into people's hands you would price it fairly.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 14:34:40 »
If you cared about getting it into people's hands you would price it fairly.
How about this, link me your IC and I'll listen to what you say a bit more.

You don't like the price? Fine. How about just move on. I think conversation is good but this ain't it.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

Offline Capsy

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 14:36:08 »

Show Image

** pricing for safa was actually $395

Price for my razer was $40

Offline Techlet

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 15:33:04 »

Or rather they had every intention of buying a board until they saw the ridiculous price.

The hobby's constantly changing. It's not what it was when the Iron165 came out. It's not even what it was 6 months ago. It's a shame people can't find anything about this board that justifies the asking price other than the name attached to it.

At the end of the day, people will vote with their wallets and move on and I'm sure the S+R echo chamber is big enough to move all 2000 units with no issue.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 16:33:22 »

Or rather they had every intention of buying a board until they saw the ridiculous price.

The hobby's constantly changing. It's not what it was when the Iron165 came out. It's not even what it was 6 months ago. It's a shame people can't find anything about this board that justifies the asking price other than the name attached to it.

At the end of the day, people will vote with their wallets and move on and I'm sure the S+R echo chamber is big enough to move all 2000 units with no issue.

Funny how you'd respect people who don't like the price but call the ones who like it as being part of an echo chamber, no? If it sells, it sells. You can be bitter about it.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 16:50:06 »
How many people criticizing pricing actually have first hand knowledge (not what you think is first hand but is actually second or third hand) of how much this should cost?

If you can provide that, maybe people would put more weight into your seemingly highly subjective and potentially uneducated opinion.

Offline anti_ge_jiu_cai

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 17:17:37 »
How many people criticizing pricing actually have first hand knowledge (not what you think is first hand but is actually second or third hand) of how much this should cost?

If you can provide that, maybe people would put more weight into your seemingly highly subjective and potentially uneducated opinion.

How are we supposed to know that? Please think before you speak, "first hand" knowledge is only accessible to S+R and their manufacturer, they won’t disclose it and that’s absolutely fine. All we know is some recent boards with features that are known to be more costly(weights, PVD) are priced way less than this. When someone questioned pricing in discord, Ibaron’s reply was "Just everything adds up. Getting custom screw, new zipper bag molds, CNC foam for them, prototyping, PCBs, photography, shipping, seamless design, increasing raw material costs, increasing labor, etc" So nothing out of ordinary to me it sounds, at least not some mysterious coating technology.

Maybe they are using 18k gold custom screws and award-winning photographers.

Offline Techlet

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 17:18:09 »
Funny how you'd respect people who don't like the price but call the ones who like it as being part of an echo chamber, no? If it sells, it sells. You can be bitter about it.

Having seen what goes on in their discord and how their members respond to any sort of criticism on S+R's behalf, I find it hard to call it anything other than an echo chamber.

When someone questioned pricing in discord, Ibaron’s reply was "Just everything adds up. Getting custom screw, new zipper bag molds, CNC foam for them, prototyping, PCBs, photography, shipping, seamless design, increasing raw material costs, increasing labor, etc"

Or more recently, "I just ignore it. New accounts created just to spread hate for something they have zero interest in buying."

Tells you all you really need to know about how they view the community.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2022, 17:20:19 by Techlet »

Offline lbaron

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 17:28:24 »

When someone questioned pricing in discord, Ibaron’s reply was "Just everything adds up. Getting custom screw, new zipper bag molds, CNC foam for them, prototyping, PCBs, photography, shipping, seamless design, increasing raw material costs, increasing labor, etc"

Or more recently, "I just ignore it. New accounts created just to spread hate for something they have zero interest in buying."

Tells you all you really need to know about how they view the community.
[/quote]

What would you call a user account that has only posted in this thread with criticism claiming they've had multiple manufacturing quotes (which says not new to this hobby or this platform at all), yet to afraid to post from their real account because they don't want to be seen as being trolls that have no interest in this other than stirring the pot?

Regardless, we addressed the price and that yes we are making a profit (as businesses do).  If you don't like it, great, you've voiced your opinion.  Move on.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 17:28:54 »
I don't get what's the big deal

Could they price it 30$, 50$ or 80$+ cheaper and still make a profit? I'm sure they could

Not everybody has to be selling their board/product with the lowest possible margins like Geon does.

When you buy a piece of clothing for example, the margin is often between 50% and 90%.

Artisans that cost a few $ (and time) to make are often raffled at 100$+ price point, and almost always get more entries than available slots.

If a board maker wants a larger % cut, people can vote with their wallet and just not buy it if they find this idea so horrible.

There are plenty of options for other boards out there.

Some people will see the value in this board at its current price and will support it, some don't and will not support it.

Offline voxkey

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 17:36:25 »
I'm not sure much more can be said. We've been extremely consistent with our pricing. We've been asked for reasons why our pricing is the way it is and we've spoken at length about it.

There's no bait and switch and all the info is provided up front so everyone can make an informed buying decision. If you like the board and the price is good for you then you can purchase. If not, then there is plenty of other options out there.

We have plenty of people that do support us and want us to continue to make keyboards so we're going to continue to do just that. We'll continue to be transparent and answer questions as best as possible. If we've rubbed you the wrong way or you just don't like us for some reason and you don't want to support us that's okay too. We don't have to be everything to everyone.